ADVERTISEMENT

There are a lot of arguments about the greatest NBA player ever.

Most discussions center around Jordan, Lebron and Kobe but I am curious why there is no love for Wilt Chamberlain? I was just looking at his stats and in the history of the NBA there has been 74 times that a player scored 60+ points in a game. Of those 74 times Chamberlain did it 32 of them. As a comparison Kobe had 6, Jordan 5, Elgin Baylor and James Hardin 4 and Lebron James 1.

He not only was a scoring machine but holds countless rebounding records that will never be broken. He once rebounded 55 in a game. He average 25+ for the season on 3 different occasions. He also led the league in rebounding 11 seasons which is the record. They didn't keep blocked shot stats for his entire career but the 112 games he played in, once they started keeping the stats, he average 8.8 blocks per game. Keep in mind this was near the end of his career. As a comparison the NBA all time leader is Mark Eaton at 3.5 per game. Due to the limited number of games and blocks Chamberlain isn't in the list.

The dude was unstoppable and yet nobody talks about him. Just scroll through his records in the link below and look at the ones he still holds and some will never be broken. Is it just because of his size advantage that people discount what he was able to do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Wilt_Chamberlain#NBA_rebounding_records
wilt is My favorite player ,i also like bill Russel and jerry west.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Jordan also starting winning once he got all star teammates. LeBron James took a bunch of nobodys and the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Finals. There is no way Michael Jordan would have went to the NBA Finals with those early Cav teams.
That is the difference between LeBron and Jordan

Jordan also starting winning once he got all star teammates. LeBron James took a bunch of nobodys and the Cleveland Cavaliers to the Finals. There is no way Michael Jordan would have went to the NBA Finals with those early Cav teams.

I'm a Lebron guy, but no way does he take scrubs to finals in Jordan's Eastern Conference.

The Eastern Conference was 5x harder in Jordan's era than LeBron's. He 100% could have made ECF in his prime with them vs the same competition LeBron went against.

Jordan's early teams were trash too.

He took them to playoffs his first 3 years, conference semis, them ECF x 2 years in a row....then took flight.

The Eastern Conference back then is what the Western Conference is now and has been for a long while. The East was stacked with the best teams and players in the '80s, especially during Jordan's time.

Reactions: kb22stang
Wilt benched over 500 lbs.

The Paul Bunyon stories...never ceases to amaze me.

The NFL bench record is Stephen Paea who did 225lbs 49x. He is 6'1, 300lbs...this calculated out to a max of roughly 590.

There is no way that Wilt benched 500 pounds. His arms were too freaking long. Arnold Schwarzenegger's max was 500 😂

• Love
Reactions: STL_Cat
The Eastern Conference was terrible at that time. No players from the East made the All-NBA first team and the Pistons, who had the best record in the conference, didn't put a single player on the first or second team All-NBA. Also the Sixers traded Iverson out west to Denver.

The Eastern Conference had pretty much hit rock bottom at this point. Lebron could not get Cleveland back to the Finals until he returned in 2015.

It's hard to define 'best' of all time. I guess it depends on a more defined criteria.

As for most dominant - it's got to be Wilt. Aside from his records, his strength was legendary. And as has been mentioned his athleticism was off the charts - not just for his size but compared to anyone. Shaq may be runner up in this category.

I still have to give the nod to MJ for best NBA player. There's a category for the great ones that stats alone can't define. MJ had this special quality in spades.

Michael Jordan # 1

Kareem Abdul Jabber #2, possibly # 1A

IMHO, these two were in a league of their own.

No offense to Wilt or Russell fans.

The Eastern Conference was terrible at that time. No players from the East made the All-NBA first team and the Pistons, who had the best record in the conference, didn't put a single player on the first or second team All-NBA. Also the Sixers traded Iverson out west to Denver.

The Eastern Conference had pretty much hit rock bottom at this point. Lebron could not get Cleveland back to the Finals until he returned in 2015.

Are you talking about the latter end of the Bulls run? Early in his tenure with the Bulls he had to get through Birds Celtics and then through back to back NBA champs in Detroit.

Michael Jordan # 1

Kareem Abdul Jabber #2, possibly # 1A

IMHO, these two were in a league of their own.

No offense to Wilt or Russell fans.

I don't buy the Jabbar argument, he simply didn't affect the game in as many ways as other guys. I know this board has a disdain for Lebron, but that guy is a freak. The only reason Jordan should be considered above Lebron is that for Jordan winning was everything, it's all the guy cared about whereas Lebron is competitive but not to that level.

It is Jordan for God's sake and it isn't even an argument.
It's a big argument. Wilt played when there were way less teams. Better completion. Plenty of big men then. He's numbers dwarf Jordan. How many games did you see them both play. I'm curious. For the record I could not stAnd wilt. But he was the best. 50 points and 25 rebounds a game and you don't think it's worth discussing. Are you kidding. So how many games did you see wilt play.

Arguing that Michael Jordan isn't the greatest basketball player of all time is like arguing that the Earth is flat.

You are just never going to be right.
Agree. Today’s NBA says you need to the Big 3 to win it or some super team like the Nets this year. Jordan was just him and Pippen surrounded by a solid d supporting cast performing their roles. And Jordan wouldn’t lose a step in today’s game nor any other generation as some have stated about other greats.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Most discussions center around Jordan, Lebron and Kobe but I am curious why there is no love for Wilt Chamberlain? I was just looking at his stats and in the history of the NBA there has been 74 times that a player scored 60+ points in a game. Of those 74 times Chamberlain did it 32 of them. As a comparison Kobe had 6, Jordan 5, Elgin Baylor and James Hardin 4 and Lebron James 1.

He not only was a scoring machine but holds countless rebounding records that will never be broken. He once rebounded 55 in a game. He average 25+ for the season on 3 different occasions. He also led the league in rebounding 11 seasons which is the record. They didn't keep blocked shot stats for his entire career but the 112 games he played in, once they started keeping the stats, he average 8.8 blocks per game. Keep in mind this was near the end of his career. As a comparison the NBA all time leader is Mark Eaton at 3.5 per game. Due to the limited number of games and blocks Chamberlain isn't in the list.

The dude was unstoppable and yet nobody talks about him. Just scroll through his records in the link below and look at the ones he still holds and some will never be broken. Is it just because of his size advantage that people discount what he was able to do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Wilt_Chamberlain#NBA_rebounding_records

I don't buy the Jabbar argument, he simply didn't affect the game in as many ways as other guys. I know this board has a disdain for Lebron, but that guy is a freak. The only reason Jordan should be considered above Lebron is that for Jordan winning was everything, it's all the guy cared about whereas Lebron is competitive but not to that level.
LeBron chases winning by trades to teams with super talent surrounding him. Jordan did it at one organization.

LeBron chases winning by trades to teams with super talent surrounding him. Jordan did it at one organization.

One, you need a super team to win now. Two, who did he join at the Lakers or in his return to the Cavs? Three, Jordan had a great front office that built a great supporting cast around him AND he didn't have to compete against super teams, it wasn't done back then.

Jordan is the greatest ever, but trying to deny Lebron's greatness is silly. Listen to any of the guys that played in the last 20 years, the dude is a freak.

I have seen most of the great NBA players in person since the 60s.
No question in my mind Wilt was/is the greatest NBA player to ever play the game.
It wasn’t just his height or mobility but his off the chart strength.
Wilt was interviewed once and he was ask about MJ. He said first time MJ drove the lane and sticking his tongue out and taking 3 or 4 steps to get to the basket he would clothesline him. He said I would reach down and pick him up and simply say “you every do the shit again and next time I’ll kill you “

Reactions: topps coach
One, you need a super team to win now. Two, who did he join at the Lakers or in his return to the Cavs? Three, Jordan had a great front office that built a great supporting cast around him AND he didn't have to compete against super teams, it wasn't done back then.

Jordan is the greatest ever, but trying to deny Lebron's greatness is silly. Listen to any of the guys that played in the last 20 years, the dude is a freak.
Actually, I’m not denying LeBron’s is a tremendous player and one of the best to suit up. I’m simply saying Jordan is better. And I’m not sure, but didn’t LeBron help usher in the Big 3 in the NBA while at Miami?

They might not qualify as Super teams per some definitions, but 80’s Celtics and Lakers could be close.

Sorry, Michael Jordan was one of the biggest jerks to play professional sport. None of his teammates liked him and he was known for purposefully trying to make them look bad.
Piss on MJ. I’m just glad I don’t have to watch him ever again.

Reactions: LoavulLou
It's gotta be Kareem. All time scoring leader, but Wilt in his place countless times. For as good as Wilt was, Kareem was just better. Won a title with Mil. like his rookie or sophomore year. Plus, three titles at UCLA. Dude is the best player overall IMO.

It's a big argument. Wilt played when there were way less teams. Better completion. Plenty of big men then. He's numbers dwarf Jordan. How many games did you see them both play. I'm curious. For the record I could not stAnd wilt. But he was the best. 50 points and 25 rebounds a game and you don't think it's worth discussing. Are you kidding. So how many games did you see wilt play.

None. I saw plenty of Jordan's and that is all I need to see.

Because most posters on here never saw the dude play.

Reactions: billCgmx
I think Wilt was incredible. I just think Jordan was better. He won at a higher level....stepped away from the game in the primenof his career and came back to 3 peat again.

Also, Jordan's greatest games were in the playoffs and Finals. He was the most clutch guy there ever was. NCAA Finals, NBA Finals, Eastern Conference Finals, it didn't matter...unreal.
Jordan:
Chocked against the Dawgs in '83 in the E8.

Won a title in 82 because of a stupid pass by Sleepy Floyd who some think gave the game away.

Couldn't get his team past Bird and the Celtics. Bulls won when the Celtics and Lakers were on the way down.

Jordan:
Chocked against the Dawgs in '83 in the E8.

Won a title in 82 because of a stupid pass by Sleepy Floyd who some think gave the game away.

Couldn't get his team past Bird and the Celtics. Bulls won when the Celtics and Lakers were on the way down.

It is clear you just don't like Jordan, which is fine.

26pts 6reb vs Georgia on near 50% shooting

Game winning shot in National Championship

Beat the Lakers in NBA Finals

Scored 63 against Boston in playoffs when he had no one on his team...averaged 44ppg for series

Not going to waste my time sharing anything else...most game winning shots in NBA history...sorry last thing.

Size and era.

When people start trying to compare cross era/style of play, I think most believe his numbers wouldn’t have been nowhere near that.

For example, put AD or Giannis or even Embid (hate the guy) in that era and they are freak anomalies as well and likely have exaggerated stat lines compared to what they typically post today

Reactions: rupp876
Thank you for proving my point. You took the phenomenal freak athlete that was the example of the exception, not the average player

Yes, Wilt, Kareem, etc were phenomenal freak athletes in a time where there wasn’t as many 6’9+ pogo sticks with weight training and superior conditioning on top of a skill set. And they dominated.

Point is, if you take an AD or GA that are also freaks of nature, put them playing against what the AVERAGE player was then from a size and athleticism standpoint and they too put up more ridiculous numbers than they do now.

The conversation isn’t about the top 10-25 players in the league from each generation....it’s about man 3-15 on the roster. Those guys are bigger, faster, stronger today which closes the gap and advantage that the natural freakish guys have. Yes, there is zero doubt that the elite guys from those eras could play in today’s league and still be elite...it’s that the average guys wouldn’t be in today’s league at large.

Last edited:
Thank you for proving my point. You took the phenomenal freak athlete that was the example of the exception, not the average player

Yes, Wilt was a phenomenal freak athlete in a time where there wasn’t as many 6’9+ pogo sticks with weight training and superior conditioning on top of a skill set. And he dominated.

Point is, if you take an AD or GA that are also freaks of nature, put them playing against what the AVERAGE player was then from a size and athleticism standpoint and they too put up more ridiculous numbers than they do now.

The conversation isn’t about the top 25 players in the league....it’s about man 3-15 on the roster. Those guys are bigger, faster, stronger today which closes the gap and advantage that the natural freakish guys have.
Giannis and Davis in the 50’s would be absolutely sick.

You’ve made a great point. All-time is much different than best during a specific era.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Every one has their own personal views and choice when it comes to naming the greatest player in NBA history and that is okay. However not only is Kareem the greatest player in NBA history, he is the greatest to ever play men's basketball at any level. This man did it in High School, where he was a 3 x Parade All-American. He did it in college, where he was a 3 x National Champion and 3 x Tournament MVP and 3 x All American. His stats in the NBA are astounding. 6 MVP's, 6 NBA titles, 19 x All Star, 15 x all NBA. 11 x All Defensive team, 20 years in the league. He is the All time leading scorer, 3rd in rebounding and 3rd in blocked shots. So when the debate starts about the GOAT, I will take Mr. Sky Hook with the first pick.

I am in James corner as the GOAT. However, I think you are correct, Chamberlain has to be in the discussion. The drawback is the lack of flexibility between positions. That said, what a beast!!!

It is clear you just don't like Jordan, which is fine.

26pts 6reb vs Georgia on near 50% shooting

Game winning shot in National Championship

Beat the Lakers in NBA Finals

Scored 63 against Boston in playoffs when he had no one on his team...averaged 44ppg for series

Not going to waste my time sharing anything else...most game winning shots in NBA history...sorry last thing.
Never said I didn't like MJ.

His 50% shooting didn't get the win.

Didn't matter he scored 63 against Boston.....still couldn't beat Bird.

• Haha
Are you talking about the latter end of the Bulls run? Early in his tenure with the Bulls he had to get through Birds Celtics and then through back to back NBA champs in Detroit
We should compare how competitive the East was during in the latter years of the Bulls from 1996-1998 to Lebron's East in 2007-2009.

50-win teams in the East during those last 3 Bulls championship seasons: 13

50-win teams in the East during LeBron's 2007-2009 seasons: 8

Eastern teams with winning records during those last 3 Bulls championship seasons: 26

Eastern teams with winning records during LeBron's 2007-2009 seasons: 17

All-NBA players in the East during those last 3 Bulls championship seasons: 18

All-NBA players in the East during LeBron's 2007-2009 seasons seasons: 10

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Never said I didn't like MJ.

His 50% shooting didn't get the win.

Didn't matter he scored 63 against Boston.....still couldn't beat Bird.

Ok, I am not sure what your point is.

No, Jordan didn't beat Bird/McHale/Parrish/Johnson/Ainge, so on...he did drop 63 on them which according to you doesn't matter.

He did however beat a slew of the Top 50 players all time in route to winning 6 titles and 6 finals MVPs.

I don't have to argue his credentials they are pretty clear.

Yes, Wilt, Kareem, etc were phenomenal freak athletes in a time where there wasn’t as many 6’9+ pogo sticks with weight training and superior conditioning on top of a skill set. And they dominated.

The conversation isn’t about the top 10-25 players in the league from each generation....it’s about man 3-15 on the roster. Those guys are bigger, faster, stronger today which closes the gap and advantage that the natural freakish guys have. Yes, there is zero doubt that the elite guys from those eras could play in today’s league and still be elite...it’s that the average guys wouldn’t be in today’s league at large.

So your saying their are dozens of guys who has his freak athleticism? You got any numbers to back that claim up or just speculation

Reactions: rupp876
The Paul Bunyon stories...never ceases to amaze me.

The NFL bench record is Stephen Paea who did 225lbs 49x. He is 6'1, 300lbs...this calculated out to a max of roughly 590.

There is no way that Wilt benched 500 pounds. His arms were too freaking long. Arnold Schwarzenegger's max was 500 😂

I used to body build when I was younger and did it for many years. Used to also train a lot of people.

I could bench 225 44x and put 365 on the bar and do it 29x sometimes 30. Slap 420 on it and i couldn't budge it.

Guy I used to lift with would struggle putting up 225 20x could barely get up 365 2x but he could press 420 and also do 500. Saw him do 550 once and thought the heavy bar was gonna snap it was bending so bad.

This older gent who was 68 could bench almost 400 and looked like he couldn't put up 150.

Meaning?? Throw those charts in the garbage. Don't mean squat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT