ADVERTISEMENT

The Wright Wildcat hire

What do y’all think. After all these years watching these coaches seems he would fit the bill with class if he could be coaxed outta retirement.
That ain't happening imo.

We need a coach who can bring players with them.

Wright is great but he retired because he didn’t want to be a coach in the NIL era.

Tommy Lloyd is my pick, but Drew/Oats seem more likely candidates.

Almost everyone at ESPN went to a different School besides Kentucky so they just want to see our demise deep down folks. Listen to no one on this coaching carousel.
Just know Kentucky is going to get a coach that actually wants to be the coach of Kentucky. His name is Bruce Pearl or Jay Wright .
Or a coach to use for a while with a incoming class and that would be #6 class nate Oats or#7 class scott Drew.
Or a coach that has done all he can do and needs something new like dan Hurley or Mark Few.

Or we go get a coach who deserves to be at a blue blood but too old... like Kevin Sampson or Ricky P or Tom Izzo.

One of the above will be our coach who beats Calipari to a title.

I would love Wright also. I just don't think he wants to get back in the water. A name I haven't seen is Lamont Paris. Watched him here locally at UTC and then he jumped to SC. He definitely is a good coach. Remains to be seen if he can recruit talent at this level. K wasn't exactly a household name when he started. Shrug

I’d easily take Wright if he was actually available, but I’ll say what I always do about him, which is that I don’t see him pining to come coach at Kentucky like a lot of our other fans seem to imagine. He retired from a Villanova job where he had already won two championships and could have finished out his career as an icon because he didn’t want to deal with this new era of college sports. Why would he want to come deal with all the extra pressures of our job in addition to the portal and NIL when he has nothing to prove to anyone?

I’d easily take Wright if he was actually available, but I’ll say what I always do about him, which is that I don’t see him pining to come coach at Kentucky like a lot of our other fans seem to imagine. He retired from a Villanova job where he had already won two championships and could have finished out his career as an icon because he didn’t want to deal with this new era of college sports. Why would he want to come deal with all the extra pressures of our job in addition to the portal and NIL when he has nothing to prove to anyone?
Mike Greenberg made a decent point today though. Did Wright not like the direction that the sport was headed in and so he decided to retire? Or, did he not think he would be capable of competing in the "new" college basketball at Villanova? UKs resources are different than what Villanova can offer, maybe that has an effect on him. Idk and neither did Greenie, but it's something to think about. I lean to him NOT taking the job either, but I would be very happy if he did take it.

i think wright could possibly be enticed by a uk offer, not just for the money, but a chance to coach at a place like uk where he could become a serious threat to win championships at two different schools. and with nil it could happen sooner than later. just a thought

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT