ADVERTISEMENT

The Worst Songs of All Time

The Fugees: Killing me softly. It was already done and added no value or diminished value.

Anything by Mariah Carey

Old school honorable mention. Paper Lace The Night Chicago Died.

Between 1988 and 1992, music went into the latrine.

Reactions: J_Dee
Wife likes "Kashmir" which goes on for about an hour. I never heard any song that was so good it needed 12 minutes to play
Check out "Telegraph Road" by Dire Straits.
Studio version is excellent, as is live version.

"Funeral for a Friend" is only 11 minutes ... but pretty good, too ...

"Thick as a Brick" is a concept album.
Both sides, Part 1 and Part 2, are single pieces ... each over twenty (20) minutes long ... an incredible album !!

Last edited:
If you were alive in the 80's, this is the answer. Hard to believe that it was #1 on the music charts for a week or two.

Weird Al's version's better. It's got Tress MacNeille. XD

There is a special place in hell for Zombie by the Cranberries.

Next. Anything by the talentless Springsteen

Followed next by anything by Nirvana.

Nirvana's my favorite band ever and Nevermind's my favorite album ever. I loved trekking to Best Buy in Lexington and Sound Advice in Richmond when I was a teenager because they had Nirvana singles on CD that I couldn't get in my hometown. Good times. =)

Reactions: JDHoss
Weird Al's version's better. It's got Tress MacNeille. XD

Nirvana's my favorite band ever and Nevermind's my favorite album ever. I loved trekking to Best Buy in Lexington and Sound Advice in Richmond when I was a teenager because they had Nirvana singles on CD that I couldn't get in my hometown. Good times. =)

Actually its the genre that I dont like and Nirvana (Cobain) is the poster boy. They certainly were impactful but I never got "grunge."

Actually its the genre that I dont like and Nirvana (Cobain) is the poster boy. They certainly were impactful but I never got "grunge."
I got over the grunge music scene after about a year but the one thing I can't ever thank them enough is that it pretty well killed the hair band crap. The Poison, Motley Crue crap just stopped. That was a great service they performed.

Tell us more about seeing the Fab4 live. Their sets were like a half hour long I think. Dish.
Yep, they rushed through about a dozen songs in a little more than a half hour. The stage setup was atrocious. There were no stage monitors, and the venue (in this case, Crosley Field in Cincinnati) provided the sound system, which was woefully underpowered. So the conditions were terrible for a decent performance, since all the performers could hear were the screaming girls in front of them and the cranked up amps behind them. None of that mattered to anybody, of course. We weren't there for the concert experience. To their credit, they tried to be accessible; the best tickets were $5.50. Within a few years, the technology caught up with the demand for large concerts-- Woodstock was just three years later.

I got over the grunge music scene after about a year but the one thing I can't ever thank them enough is that it pretty well killed the hair band crap. The Poison, Motley Crue crap just stopped. That was a great service they performed.
I read "Dirt", Motley Crue's autobiography. Nikki Sixx claimed that the rise of Guns n Roses signaled the death of the glam metal genre. They knew that their day was over when they saw them perform live in 1990 with no makeup, high heels or stupid spandex costumes. They were more about the music and less about the show. Grunge came shortly thereafter but so did big albums from bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Blood Sugar, Sex, Magic) and Metallica (Black Album). Those were all released about the same time as Nevermind (1991) and Pearl Jam's Ten. 1991 also brought GNR's Use Your Illusion double album. I was in grad school back then and my roommate was really into music. So that 1 1/2 year period in music is stuck in my mind.

Last edited:
Check out "Telegraph Road" by Dire Straits.
Studio version is excellent, as is live version.

"Funeral for a Friend" is only 11 minutes ... but pretty good, too ...

"Thick as a Brick" is a concept album.
Both sides, Part 1 and Part 2, are single pieces ... each over twenty (20) minutes long ... an incredible album !!

I love Dire Straits, but Telegraph Road not one of my favorites. Actually, as a result of being a huge fan of "The Americans", Brothers in Arms became one of my top DS songs, they played it on TV during the very last episode of The Americans, IIRC. That is a long tune as well, but really well done.

I read "Dirt", Motley Crue's autobiography. Nikki Sixx claimed that the rise of Guns n Roses signaled the death of the glam metal genre. They knew that their day was over when they saw them perform live in 1990 with no makeup, high heels or stupid spandex costumes. They were more about the music and less about the show. Grunge came shortly thereafter but so did big albums from bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Blood Sugar, Sex, Magic) and Metallica (Black Album). Those were all released about the same time as Nevermind (1991) and Pearl Jam's Ten. 1991 also brought GNR's Use Your Illusion double album. I was in grad school back then and my roommate was really into music. So that 1 1/2 year period in music is stuck in my mind.
Interesting point - I hear so many people talk about Nirvana/grunge putting an end to hair metal. But it was much more than just grunge, and I would argue that the Black Album which IIRC came out in the late summer of 91 was as much or more of a catalyst than Nevermind (or Ten) in ending the careers of bands like Poison, Winger, Great White, etc.

Reactions: J_Dee and DSmith21
Interesting point - I hear so many people talk about Nirvana/grunge putting an end to hair metal. But it was much more than just grunge, and I would argue that the Black Album which IIRC came out in the late summer of 91 was as much or more of a catalyst than Nevermind (or Ten) in ending the careers of bands like Poison, Winger, Great White, etc.
220, 221. Whatever it took to get rid of them.

Yep, they rushed through about a dozen songs in a little more than a half hour. The stage setup was atrocious. There were no stage monitors, and the venue (in this case, Crosley Field in Cincinnati) provided the sound system, which was woefully underpowered. So the conditions were terrible for a decent performance, since all the performers could hear were the screaming girls in front of them and the cranked up amps behind them. None of that mattered to anybody, of course. We weren't there for the concert experience. To their credit, they tried to be accessible; the best tickets were $5.50. Within a few years, the technology caught up with the demand for large concerts-- Woodstock was just three years later.
Awesome. I forgot that Cincy had that concert. I'd seen documentary video and it is amazing just how primitive the outdoor concerts were. A couple Marshall amps and an open stage. In there case with thousands of screaming girls drowning out the performance. I know that was frustrating for them and probably helped kill their desire to tour.

I just found this from the Cincy Enquirer. Was this the date you saw?

I actually like-ish Motley Crue. They had some good tunes. Have you seen any of the vid of Vince Neil mumbling his way through recent concert footage. Sad actually.

I love Dire Straits, but Telegraph Road not one of my favorites. Actually, as a result of being a huge fan of "The Americans", Brothers in Arms became one of my top DS songs, they played it on TV during the very last episode of The Americans, IIRC. That is a long tune as well, but really well done.
Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" is the only audio cassette that I ever played so much that I wore it out and had to replace. Loved that album as a teenager during the 1980's.

Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" is the only audio cassette that I ever played so much that I wore it out and had to replace. Loved that album as a teenager during the 1980's.
I liked 'Making Movies' much better. But, both are really good albums. Knopfler's guitar work (when he still played the Strat) is incredible. The feel, tone, phrasing, etc. is exemplary and very difficult to duplicate.

Reactions: J_Dee and Tskware
Awesome. I forgot that Cincy had that concert. I'd seen documentary video and it is amazing just how primitive the outdoor concerts were. A couple Marshall amps and an open stage. In there case with thousands of screaming girls drowning out the performance. I know that was frustrating for them and probably helped kill their desire to tour.

I just found this from the Cincy Enquirer. Was this the date you saw?

Yep, a couple of Vox amps cranked up (and they sounded terrible) and no chance of hearing anything but the screaming. There was nothing in the contract that specified what kind of sound system would have to be provided. And the venues were accustomed to simply amplifying the announcer at the ballpark. The original scheduled date was the night before, and the warmup acts played then, but it was raining, so The Beatles postponed and played the next day at lunch time. By then, a tarp had been put over the stage, but it was sunny so it served only to obscure the view.. So they ran through their set, and took off to play that Sunday night in St. Louis. It has been said that the Cincinnati concert was literally the time they decided to pack it in.

I'm going to say Crazy Town - Butterfly. It just doesn't have any redeeming qualities and is a pure sell-out song from a new band who didn't know what they wanted to be because they didn't care. What they brought to the masses was a limp, soulless, bland radio hit that was eventually mocked and then forgotten. People rip on Creed but at least My Own Prison was a really good 90's era rock album. Crazy Town was like a much worse version of Sugar Ray while copying Linkin Park's look.

I liked 'Making Movies' much better. But, both are really good albums. Knopfler's guitar work (when he still played the Strat) is incredible. The feel, tone, phrasing, etc. is exemplary and very difficult to duplicate.
Their debut album is their best IMO, although I do like their other albums too. Having said that, “I want my MTV” makes my head explode.

• Sad

Still love Grace Slick though...

5fc4e554b84a53ee12b00356d0cc0d0f.jpg
I admit it is a bit lame and too pop given the history of those involved. I think worst ever is totally over blown though. 90% of what was on MTV and radio at the time sucked much worse.

Last edited:
"Anything by..." = automatic disqualification from threads of this ilk. Lazy and inaccurate. Example: As much as Jethro F. Tull drives me crazy, prompting an automatic channel change when one of those comes on, I have think there are literally thousands of songs worse than anything they even considered writing or recording.

#endrant

A nominee off the top of my head...

(Watch this with CC on for extra credit. How did this ever get made?)

Their debut album is their best IMO, although I do like their other albums too. Having said that, “I want my MTV” makes my head explode.
Still love Money for Nothing. Song and video are both groundbreaking. But if you had said what you said about the other hits on the album that got frequent airplay, specifically Walk of Life And So Far Away, I'd be in total agreement.

My vote for the worst song is "A Horse With No Name" by America. "Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain." Really?

Still love Money for Nothing. Song and video are both groundbreaking. But if you had said what you said about the other hits on the album that got frequent airplay, specifically Walk of Life And So Far Away, I'd be in total agreement.

My vote for the worst song is "A Horse With No Name" by America. "Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain." Really?
That's not even the worst part of that song:

"There were plants and birds and rocks and things. There were sand and hills and rings."

No shit. It's a desert.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT