ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting THE WAR ROOM!

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
** Aamil Wagner announces his decision tomorrow and the sense I'm continuing to get is that Kentucky is in good shape. He has always liked Kentucky and they have made him a major priority. With his brother in Lexington I wouldn't bet against that. Would be one of the biggest recruiting wins Vince Marrow has had given who he has been up against and it not being an in-state kid.

** Kentucky is currently tied with Boston College for the No. 20 class. With only 16 commitments, Wagner would be counted fully and UK would pass BC, Michigan, and South Carolina, moving into the No. 18 spot. For context, that would be ahead of Michigan with as many commits as Michigan, and ahead of South Carolina with fewer commits than South Carolina.

** Kentucky's average star ranking would move to 3.41. Keep in mind Jackson Smith is a kicker and 2-stars so for all other positions you are talking about a 3.5 star average. For the sake of comparison that 2020 class with all the four-star OL/DL finished with a 3.43 average and the 2014 class with 3.32. Strong case to be made for this as their highest level of quality.

** If UK lands Wagner that is 4 OL commits and 3 tackles. My overview of the class...

Kiyaunta Goodwin is as physically impressive as any player in the country and deserves strong 5-star consideration on that alone. Some question as to his body development because it has fluctuated so much and still only tapping into his potential. Think he will play some as a freshman but keep expectations under control and don't expect him to be an All-American from Day 1. Does have first round potential.

Nikolas Hall is a coach's son which you love and is likely a right tackle but could also conceivably be a guard.

Aamil Wagner looks like a prototypical left tackle with the athleticism to handle SEC edge rushers. Tough to get guys like that.

Grant Bingham is a guard and a mauler you would hope in the mold of Eli Cox.

Extremely impressive offensive line class especially if they get Wagner as I expect them to just more than 24 hours out from his decision.

** Still think UK is in good shape with Rivals100 WR Barion Brown but have heard that he might not be on the verge of making a decision. Not a lot of detail there just am told there is a possibility it drags on longer and there is no set decision date in mind. He was just suspended for a game but the good news is it was for a couple of unsportsmanlike penalties so that's obviously not as bad as some other suspensions might be.

** Posted in another thread but hearing it's going to be a battle to hold onto De'Carlos Nicholson with both Ole Miss and Mississippi State going after him aggressively. Kentucky is doing everything it can and I do think he really likes the Cats. I'd put it at 50/50 right now although some MS folks seem to think less.

** Wouldn't be surprised if they ultimately bring in several JUCO or portal defensive backs.

** Also would not be surprised if Kentucky opts for another 2022 tight end. Rock mentioned the recent follows. Some programs just take more tight ends because they use more tight ends. They're able to be featured in so many different ways and if you have the extras could be a worthy investment.

** Speaking of tight end, 3-star (5.7) C/O 2023 tight end Tanner Lemaster narrowed it down to UK and Cincinnati this week. Like UK's chances especially with what they're doing with the tight ends right now but could see him at either place.

** Still like Kentucky ultimately holding onto Kiyaunta Goodwin. Do think they will have to battle but haven't changed my opinion here after some conversations.

** Hearing Michigan is still going to be a difficult hill to climb in Kentucky's battle for Deone Walker.

** Expect Kentucky to continue to target Florida interior OL commit Jalen Farmer as well as FSU OL commit Daughtry Richardson. I would not forecast either player to Kentucky right now but they are in striking distance which means it won't be a surprise if something happens to make either situation interesting.

** Supposed to talk to PRP cornerback Elijah Reed soon about his official visit to UK. Put in a FutureCast for UK this week. He would be a take and they need help at corner. Have some extra scholarships because of the NCAA's +7 thing and he is coming on with other schools picking up interest as well. Hope to find out more about a timetable. Also supposed to talk to Rivals250 WR commit Cayden Lee today. My other goals are to check in on Joshua Josephs after his visit.

** Kentucky really likes Alabama OL/DL Adrian Griffin and as an offensive linemen. Still think they are going to get the 2023 prospect from Fairfield, a teammate of 4-star Auburn commit Ja'Kobi Albert.

** This year has been a game-changer in terms of how QBs and WRs seem to view Kentucky. They aren't getting whoever they want but there is no longer something big standing in their way from having a chance with these guys. That is why I think opening the offense and the 6-0 start with some of those wins and the explosiveness even in a loss against Tennessee are going to unlock even more potential for the program to move forward. There is now no longer a number of positions that are just difficult for UK to recruit.

** Based on his comments to Rivals' Clint Cosgrove, UK is out front for 2024 QB Braden Graham as his No. 1 choice. Loves the offense and Coen has made an impression. Also has a UGA offer.

** The other 2024 QB to watch very closely is Dante Reno from Connecticut. Not surprising that Coen would have connections up there. Offers from Arizona, GT, Houston, Iowa, Purdue, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, and West Virginia so far. Think they like him a lot.

** No news on 2023 QBs, think they are biding their time there.

** Kentucky's about to hammer the portal especially for defense. Number of positions they could still look for help at but would expect EDGE, corner, and safety to all get serious looks. Probably going to be open at WR/OL as well.

** Travis has an update on TCU RB transfer Zach Evans. In case you missed, he seems to love being in Texas and A&M is strong. UK an option though. Can confirm that his camp also reached out to Ole Miss so he is at least gauging interest in SEC schools outside the Longhorn State.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.