ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting The War Room! (9/3/15)

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
I promised you a revamped War Room that's an improvement over anything that's been produced in the past and here I'm submitting it for your approval. Generally, the War Room will be featured on Friday mornings. I think we can let this first week be an exception, especially with so much to report on tomorrow in advance of the Wildcats' season opener. With all of that said, let's get to it.

Finishing the Class of 2016: The Big Picture

Before getting to specific names let's take a look at what the Cats are looking at big picture.

Right now: 22 commitments.

Originally: 22-23 signings expected.

As of today: No word on the official number from sources, but I think it's reasonable to believe the 25 number could be reached, given attrition.

Positions that are priorities: Defensive line.

Positions that could see takes: Defensive backfield, offensive line, receiver.

Most Significant Remaining Targets

Here I'm going to spare you the dreams -- although if you want Rashan Gary, Emmit Gooden, etc., then don't give up hope yet, as we'll report on any developments with those players -- and cut to the most significant legitimate targets.

Walvenski Aime (offer) - Lean, athletic, versatile defensive lineman who has already taken his official visit.

KaDerrion Mason (offer)
- Trying to catch up with him. Mississippi defensive lineman who likes Kentucky and some others. Versatile, powerful.

Carlos Becker (offer)
- Long, rangy Florida DB that's versatile, someone they've liked for a long time. Initially, as of a couple of weeks back, there was real optimism. Still optimism, but Florida, NC State, etc., cannot be ignored.

Chauncey Manac (offer) - Georgia commit. Tough to gauge interest because obviously a sensitive situation, and he rarely talks. But there's smoke.

Tyrez Lindsey ("offer")
- At least was verbally offered by Derrick Ansley. Defensive back from Alabama with other offers from UNC and a few more.

Joe Henderson ("offer")
- Former Vol, now at Hutchinson C.C. Not sure if he has a written offer.

David Marshall - Defensive tackle from Georgia. Could be an uphill climb, but Cats have feelers out.

Sadarius Hutcherson
- Tennessee sleeper. Will watch him during his senior year.

Jaquwan Nelson
- Miami commit. Initially opened up about UK interest. Now not so much. But UK is still a possibility.

Jay King - Hearing UK's offensive staff likes him. Receiver from Nashville (Tenn.) Hillsboro.

Jamil Dukes - 300-plus pound defensive tackle that's nimble for his size. From North Carolina, just heard from Kentucky.

Kelvin Lucky - The 6-foot-6, 220-pound Nigerian profiled earlier today.

There are more names
that I'll be posting as well, but want to get a little more information on them and try to confirm UK's interest, whatever kind it is.

2017 Recruiting Overview

Let's start at quarterback. The Cats are evidently taking a hard look at Walker Wood, a 6-foot dual-threat from Lafayette. Whether he's an athlete or a dual-threat alternative to Mac Jones, it does seem like there's some serious interest from Kentucky. There's no need to rush that situation, but remember -- Shannon Dawson did tell Mac Jones that he was looking at another dual-threat, without specifying who it was.

At running back Kentucky's being patient. With Mike Warren already on board there's no need to rush, hence putting the brakes on any significant moves with Mohamed Ibrahim. Kurt Taylor likes Kentucky but I think it might be a bit exaggerated. Not sure how great their chances are with him, nor am I sure how much they're investing in him at this point.

DeCavilon Reese from Cleveland (Ohio) Benedictine has heard from Kentucky. So has B.J. Daniels, a 6-foot, 200-pound running back from Florida. Daniels told me that Chad Scott was "making faces" as he watched him run in the spring, which I thought was a hilarious way of saying Scott -- who wasn't able to talk to Daniels at the time -- was expressing his approval at what he saw.

Kentucky's got one probable slot in Russ Yeast. They could take another slot, but aren't boxing themselves in on that.

Andre Williams may favor Kentucky. He visited over the summer and absolutely raved about the Cats when I caught up with him this week. Full update coming soon. He has offers from UNC and NC State, too.

Here's where things get really 'exciting' if you're Stoops & Co. -- receivers in Ohio.

A source told me that between four stars Javonte Richardson, Danny Davis and Jaylen Harris, "Ohio State will probably take one." Apparently they want more size than Davis has. Between Richardson and Harris, this source believes the Buckeyes will take one.

I've been hearing very good things about Kentucky's chances with Davis for weeks now. And as of yesterday, I heard that Kentucky's now feeling very strong about their chances with Richardson. That would be, in my mind, monumental. I stood next to Richardson at a Rivals Camp and don't know that I've come across a more physically impressive player at his age. Put simply, no exaggeration, he's American Pharoah on steroids (not literally, people).

Harris is great friends with A.J. Rose and I'm hearing that both Rose's family and Dorian Baker's family are working on getting Harris on board.

If Kentucky could land Williams and one of that trio, it's a fantastic receiver class. Maybe their best yet. If they could somehow steal two of those Ohio guys, it's one for the ages and probably the best receiver class in Kentucky history.

At tight end UK hasn't sent out many offers. They have offered and are reaching out to Cole Kmet from Illinois, but when I spoke to him earlier in the summer he seemed just moderately interested. Sources are now telling me that Kentucky is close to extending two tight end offers in Ohio -- Steubenville's 6-foot-6, 240-pound Charles Reeves and Cincinnati native/Moeller standout Matthew Dotson. Dotson has been in the shadow of four-star (6.0) Ohio State senior tight end commit Jake Hausmann, but is impressive in his own right. Watch out for Reeves and Dotson to emerge as primary tight end targets in the near future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News