ADVERTISEMENT

The QB room

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Seems awfully crowded, doesn't it? Not to be negative at all as we need a full and productive QB room. With Gatewood's apparent eligibility, we've got:

1. T. Wilson
2a. Joey Gatewood
2b. Sawyer Smith
3. Nick Scalzo
4. Amani Gilmore
5. Beau Allen (most likely RS this year)

Assuming TW is at least 85% healthy, I would expect him to start most/all games. JG and SS will get some snaps this year as I think the staff remembers what happened last year AND I expect us to have some blowout games where we can play a ton of players. Barring an exceptional amount of injuries, I don't expect either NS or AG to see many/any snaps. It doesn't make much sense to me to spread the limited number of reps after the starter among 4 QBs. Think you have to let #2 have the bulk with #3 getting a few.

After this year, I would expect BA to rise to 2nd string, NS and AG staying where they are. Since AG has been deemed a 'project' the day he stepped on campus, I don't see him really ever being a starter at UK. Does that mean he moves on next year - who knows? Scalzo has looked good to the coaches but he's already had two knee surgeries and, with JG on board now, don't think he will be a starter, either. And BA was a more highly regarded recruit out of HS plus being a local kid, he'll get every chance to be backup/starter before NS will, imo. Does he move on, too, down the road?

I know we have a commit from the Somerset QB. As many have said previously, we need to sign 1 QB every year so the room stays full with quality in the pipeline. If both NS and AG transfer, we'd need a 2nd QB in this class, right? If one (let's say AG) moves on, probably the Somerset QB will be sufficient.

Man, I am so ready for CFB. We've got a helluva chance for another special season.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Don’t expect scalzo to make it through the summer. Between the depth and the injuries I don’t see him seeing the field.

SSmith came to UK expecting to transition into a GA after graduation. I don't think he expected many snaps. I wouldn't be surprised if he holds a clipboard this year. Scalzo or Gilmore may get 3rd string snaps and the other one transfers out.

But ... qb's are born to transfer. I understand the desire to play. At some point many college qb's have to decide between being a spot duty role player or getting playing time at a different school.

2. Gatewood
3. Smith

Seems like the staff always emphasizes 'knowing the offense' which is why I listed them as 2a and 2b. Smith knows the offense better and the kid played with two serious injuries last year and the staff is loyal, sometimes to a fault. JG has more ability and a much higher ceiling but the two factors above will play a part in who is the backup, imo.

SSmith came to UK expecting to transition into a GA after graduation. I don't think he expected many snaps. I wouldn't be surprised if he holds a clipboard this year. Scalzo or Gilmore may get 3rd string snaps and the other one transfers out.

But ... qb's are born to transfer. I understand the desire to play. At some point many college qb's have to decide between being a spot duty role player or getting playing time at a different school.
this SS...IMO, he will only be the "backup" early in the season...by mid-season he will only be a clipboard holder...so that leaves basically four...
which is what we need...again, JMO

Reactions: bballcat4
Seems like the staff always emphasizes 'knowing the offense' which is why I listed them as 2a and 2b. Smith knows the offense better and the kid played with two serious injuries last year and the staff is loyal, sometimes to a fault. JG has more ability and a much higher ceiling but the two factors above will play a part in who is the backup, imo.
no offense, but I think that is just fluff talk, from the staff.

To be honest...Gimore needed this spring to separate himself from Scalzo and get ahead of Allen. W/O a spring he's in a bad pickle as if we have a Fall camp...it will be 80% focused on getting starter ready for opener...and that is going to be Terry Wilson.

It's obvious Scalzo and Gilmore are in a spot at UK....for GIlmore to not even get a look with all the mess at QB...I just don't see him making it at UK. Scalzo would have been interesting to see him play with all the QB issues last year. But he got hurt again ik the knee. Gatewood, Allen and then Sheron in the fold....that is some heavy competition to beat out and they are all aligned to take the spots after Wilson/Sawyer graduate.

Don’t expect scalzo to make it through the summer. Between the depth and the injuries I don’t see him seeing the field.
Kid's what, 20-21 years old and has had two major knee injuries/surgeries? Maybe his body is trying to tell him something.

no offense, but I think that is just fluff talk, from the staff.

It does make a certain amount of sense, though, that the staff will trust a QB to make the right checkoff/audible/pass protection call if they know the offense better. One of the things I gleaned from Gran last year was he was sure LB knew the playbook better than Gilmore and, therefore, could trust him to know the right thing to do. Maybe you're right. I've always tended to go with the guy with the most talent and not worry whether the entire 100+ pages of the playbook are memorized. But a heckuva lot of coaches say this 'knowing the playbook' thing a bunch.

Reactions: Tskware
..for GIlmore to not even get a look with all the mess at QB

I posted pretty much the same thing last year and see no reason to change my mind. If they are all out of QBs, literally, and they don't play you - then you don't have a future at that program.

I think Gilmore and Scalzo eventually move on, unless Gilmore is open yo a position change, which I doubt. I think as it is now, Allen redshirts, backs up Gatewood for a year or two depending on how good Gatewood turns out to be. Then takes over as a Junior.

Reactions: K_TIME
Seems awfully crowded, doesn't it? Not to be negative at all as we need a full and productive QB room. With Gatewood's apparent eligibility, we've got:

1. T. Wilson
2a. Joey Gatewood
2b. Sawyer Smith
3. Nick Scalzo
4. Amani Gilmore

Assuming TW is at least 85% healthy, I would expect him to start most/all games. JG and SS will get some snaps this year as I think the staff remembers what happened last year AND I expect us to have some blowout games where we can play a ton of players. Barring an exceptional amount of injuries, I don't expect either NS or AG to see many/any snaps. It doesn't make much sense to me to spread the limited number of reps after the starter among 4 QBs. Think you have to let #2 have the bulk with #3 getting a few.

After this year, I would expect BA to rise to 2nd string, NS and AG staying where they are. Since AG has been deemed a 'project' the day he stepped on campus, I don't see him really ever being a starter at UK. Does that mean he moves on next year - who knows? Scalzo has looked good to the coaches but he's already had two knee surgeries and, with JG on board now, don't think he will be a starter, either. And BA was a more highly regarded recruit out of HS plus being a local kid, he'll get every chance to be backup/starter before NS will, imo. Does he move on, too, down the road?

I know we have a commit from the Somerset QB. As many have said previously, we need to sign 1 QB every year so the room stays full with quality in the pipeline. If both NS and AG transfer, we'd need a 2nd QB in this class, right? If one (let's say AG) moves on, probably the Somerset QB will be sufficient.

Man, I am so ready for CFB. We've got a helluva chance for another special season.
Wilson needs to be better than 85% for UK to finally win the East! If a 100% Gatewood can’t beat out an 85% than that would also be a problem!

Reactions: rye48
I think Gilmore and Scalzo eventually move on, unless Gilmore is open yo a position change, which I doubt. I think as it is now, Allen redshirts, backs up Gatewood for a year or two depending on how good Gatewood turns out to be. Then takes over as a Junior.

I thought Gilmore's "position change" (if he needs one) would be to pitching on the baseball team.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
OK, but either way, one will go in after TW & one won't. So the numbers are 1-6, not 1-5.

Hmmm.

He arrived in July or August of '19. Has he failed to impress in this Spring's baseball season?
Was not a baseball participant, not on the roster. Somehow that baseball thing got blown way out of proportion.

One time transfer rule doesn’t look like it will get approved. This means Gatewood is unavailable this year. Scalzo or Gilmore can benefit and become 2nd or 3rd string QB.

3 knee surgeries between 2 qbs makes me a little nervous. Hope we can hold onto every QB we have after last year’s string of injuries.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
One time transfer rule doesn’t look like it will get approved. This means Gatewood is unavailable this year. Scalzo or Gilmore can benefit and become 2nd or 3rd string QB.

3 knee surgeries between 2 qbs makes me a little nervous. Hope we can hold onto every QB we have after last year’s string of injuries.

If that's the way it shakes out, I would expect Scalzo to be #3 behind TW and SS. If pressed, would the staff burn BA's RS or insert AG? Think the staff believes this could be a 9+ win team so they'll do what they think gives them the best chance to get there. Not sure which way they'd go at this point, though. Not a lot of glowing praise for AG other than 'he's improving, he's a project'.

To be honest...Gimore needed this spring to separate himself from Scalzo and get ahead of Allen. W/O a spring he's in a bad pickle as if we have a Fall camp...it will be 80% focused on getting starter ready for opener...and that is going to be Terry Wilson.

It's obvious Scalzo and Gilmore are in a spot at UK....for GIlmore to not even get a look with all the mess at QB...I just don't see him making it at UK. Scalzo would have been interesting to see him play with all the QB issues last year. But he got hurt again ik the knee. Gatewood, Allen and then Sheron in the fold....that is some heavy competition to beat out and they are all aligned to take the spots after Wilson/Sawyer graduate.

While you are at it, who wins the Derby in September? @K_TIME always spot on.

1. T. Wilson
2a. Joey Gatewood
2b. Sawyer Smith
3. Nick Scalzo
4. Amani Gilmore

It's funny how these things work themselves out, isn't it?

Gilmore, Wood, and Langhi are gone now.

Scalzo is rehabbing a serious injury. One ACL surgery has a fairly predictable outcome these days, as long as the player works hard on his rehab. But two ACL surgeries on the same knee in less than a year are a different animal. Scalzo's outcome is not as predictable as we might like. Whether or not we want to hear this, the size issue is also not insignificant at the SEC level.

Joey Gatewood's eligibility for 2020 is still up in the air, and I guess I would just caution anyone against assumptions or conspiracy theories at this point.

TW and SS will be gone after the 2020 season.

So we will be talking about Gatewood, Allen, Sheron, and future recruits. The three aforementioned are different kinds of QBs. Allen is the most polished, but Gatewood has a high ceiling and will be a nightmare for safeties in a spread offense. We need to sign one viable SEC QB in every recruiting class, and probably two in the current class.

TW and SS are what we have for sure.

Gatewood is an unknown in terms of what his eligibility is and what he brings to the table as far as a skill set and ability to run an offense.

Scalzo is a practice arm and emergency option, I think he is probably the next to transfer.

Allen will RS.

CMS has yet to recruit and develop an elite QB capable of taking the program to the next level.

His QB legacy isn't great thus far. Has had some transfers come in and do okay in a pinch. Didn't really develop or have great success with the guys he inherited. The guys he's recruited from high school and developed never saw significant action and ultimately transferred.

I'm all for a great ground game and defense, but in this age of modern football, unless you can be well above average at QB and in the passing game, you will not progress. Ground, pound, hold on D gets you right around 8-9 wins a year, which is great. We'll all take that, but if we want to bust through, get to Atlanta, and see 10, 11 wins consistently the QB recruiting, developing, and passing game, in general, will have to greatly improve.

I get a kick out of people assessment of Nick Scalzo. First team all-state, won the national 7 on 7, Florida high school state Champs. If you watched him play healthy he was really good. Great leader. If he was completely healthy he would be the best QB on the roster. The big question is his health (KNEE)? If he can ever get completely healthy UK will have a gem of a player.

TW and SS are what we have for sure.

Gatewood is an unknown in terms of what his eligibility is and what he brings to the table as far as a skill set and ability to run an offense.

Scalzo is a practice arm and emergency option, I think he is probably the next to transfer.

Allen will RS.

CMS has yet to recruit and develop an elite QB capable of taking the program to the next level.

His QB legacy isn't great thus far. Has had some transfers come in and do okay in a pinch. Didn't really develop or have great success with the guys he inherited. The guys he's recruited from high school and developed never saw significant action and ultimately transferred.

I'm all for a great ground game and defense, but in this age of modern football, unless you can be well above average at QB and in the passing game, you will not progress. Ground, pound, hold on D gets you right around 8-9 wins a year, which is great. We'll all take that, but if we want to bust through, get to Atlanta, and see 10, 11 wins consistently the QB recruiting, developing, and passing game, in general, will have to greatly improve.
Main part i slightly disagree with is the must to sign and develop QBs. Sure that would be great, dont get me wrong. But last season, 2 of the Heisnan finalists were xfers. Wasnt Mayfield a xfer too?

I get a kick out of people assessment of Nick Scalzo. First team all-state, won the national 7 on 7, Florida high school state Champs. If you watched him play healthy he was really good. Great leader. If he was completely healthy he would be the best QB on the roster. The big question is his health (KNEE)? If he can ever get completely healthy UK will have a gem of a player.
Agree 100%....Kid is a baller!

Main part i slightly disagree with is the must to sign and develop QBs. Sure that would be great, dont get me wrong. But last season, 2 of the Heisnan finalists were xfers. Wasnt Mayfield a xfer too?

We don't have upper classmen from P5s with some playing if not starting experience, let alone Heismans, lining up to play here.

I wouldn't be against that at all.

Reactions: Lost In FL
So we will be talking about Gatewood, Allen, Sheron, and future recruits. The three aforementioned are different kinds of QBs. Allen is the most polished, but Gatewood has a high ceiling and will be a nightmare for safeties in a spread offense. We need to sign one viable SEC QB in every recruiting class, and probably two in the current class.

I understand that rehabbing an injured knee twice is hard to predict and most QBs are taller (many QBs his size have excelled in P5 football), but keeping Scalzo off this list has no merit, unless you know something the rest of us do not. Nik seems to be rehabbing well, based upon recent pictures. I think it premature to cut him out of our future.

Reactions: jauk11

The number of HS studs who have not translated to the next level is a mile long. Add in the two major knee injuries and I think most of us are in 'wait and see' mode with Nick. He could be a solid QB for us or he might never play any meaningful snaps. Until we see him in action and can assess his mental and physical attributes in real time against real competition, it's all speculation right now.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
The number of HS studs who have not translated to the next level is a mile long. Add in the two major knee injuries and I think most of us are in 'wait and see' mode with Nick. He could be a solid QB for us or he might never play any meaningful snaps. Until we see him in action and can assess his mental and physical attributes in real time against real competition, it's all speculation right now.
Every thing GCK posted is true and I agree with. My point is if, I say if he comes back healthy IMHO he is likely/probably the best quarterback on the roster. Now will he be healthy? Will he reach his potential, nobody knows for sure? Having watched him play I believe he has the chance to be a really good one. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT