ADVERTISEMENT

The Pain Before The Gain

LmdCat

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
If things are tough for the 24/25 season, it will be well worth it to get rid of the cancer that had been dwelling in the Blue Grass state for way too long. It will truly be a blessing to have our beloved university round ball team led by someone who loves the program as much as we do. We will no longer have to deal with someone who didn't pass on a chance to make UK fans seem unreasonable because he lost the capacity to perform his job. Boys growing up in the state of Kentucky will no longer feel like they have no chance of representing their state at the highest level of college basketball just because an interloper feels the need to make a point.

The possible inconvenience of next season if it occurs will be worth it if that is the price required for the name on the front of the jersey to once again become the focal point of Kentucky basketball instead of a narcissistic coach who has convinced himself that he is the modern-day Naismith. Fellow Kentucky fans it won't be too long before we will look back and realize that April 11, 2024 was the new dawn of the University of Kentucky men's basketball.

If things are tough for the 24/25 season, it will be well worth it to get rid of the cancer that had been dwelling in the Blue Grass state for way too long. It will truly be a blessing to have our beloved university round ball team led by someone who loves the program as much as we do. We will no longer have deal with someone who didn't pass on a chance to make UK fans seem unreasonable because he lost the capacity to perform his job. Boys growing up in the state of Kentucky will no longer feel like they have no chance of representing their state at the highest level of college basketball just because an interloper feels the need to make a point.

The possible inconvenience of next season if it occurs will be worth it if that is the price required for the name on the front of the jersey to once again become the focal point of Kentucky basketball instead of a narcissistic coach who has convinced himself that he is the modern-day Naismith. Fellow Kentucky fans it won't be too long before we will look back and realize that April 11, 2024 was the new dawn of the University of Kentucky men's basketball.
Hopefully the idiots in the UK fan base won't turn on Pope if he doesn't win big in year 1.

Cal, I mean BlueTick2, don't you have something more important to do than continue lurking around on CATS Illustrated?

Reactions: catzcan
If things are tough for the 24/25 season, it will be well worth it to get rid of the cancer that had been dwelling in the Blue Grass state for way too long. It will truly be a blessing to have our beloved university round ball team led by someone who loves the program as much as we do. We will no longer have to deal with someone who didn't pass on a chance to make UK fans seem unreasonable because he lost the capacity to perform his job. Boys growing up in the state of Kentucky will no longer feel like they have no chance of representing their state at the highest level of college basketball just because an interloper feels the need to make a point.

This fanbase can’t handle a terrible year next year, they just can’t. Kentucky needs to be competitive next year

Reactions: bookerfan66
For the past 4 years, that is exactly what the fanbase has shown they are capable of handling it.
I’m talking like bad bad, like a Louisville situation year 1. I’m not sayin Kentucky needs to win the SEC or a title year 1 that’s ridiculous. But pope should be able to get a squad that can make the tourney and be competitive in the sec

Reactions: bookerfan66
I’m talking like bad bad, like a Louisville situation year 1. I’m not sayin Kentucky needs to win the SEC or a title year 1 that’s ridiculous. But pope should be able to get a squad that can make the tourney and be competitive in the sec
I don't think we will have a 9-16 type season, but the fanbase accepted that from motormouth.

yes they can. there’s hope and trajectory one way or another. with cal is was the same old thing. losing with no change.
It wasn't just the fact that the team was losing; it was the arrogance he directed at the fans. I think things reached an intolerant crescendo when fans finally realized that Cal put the players ahead of winning, fans, and the university.

It wasn't just the fact that the team was losing; it was the arrogance he directed at the fans. I think things reached an intolerant crescendo when fans finally realized that Cal put the players ahead of winning, fans, and the university.
he put the players first from day one. it was about the first thing he highlighted at his first madness. if we were winning i think fans would have tolerated the alienation.

If this fanbase is too impatient to give Pope a reasonable chance to raise the hull of the titanic of college basketball, it will truly make us look like the armpit of college basketball. No one will ever want to coach here.
To me as long as I know he is willing to make adjustments and continually get better I’m good, but year one should come with any huge judgements

he put the players first from day one. it was about the first thing he highlighted at his first madness. if we were winning i think fans would have tolerated the alienation.
You are correct. I think fans didn't understand what "players first" really meant. I think most thought it was simply a meaningless marking ploy because no one had ever made such a statement let alone actually implement such a thing.

Reactions: hotelblue
When fans realize if not already just how genuine Pope is, they will support him not just because of winning but because of what he represents.
This. The ppl that wanted Cal gone aren’t going to be calling for Popes head after 1-2 years. Cal’s downfall was in big part bc he picked a fight with the fanbase and belittled them while embracing nothing about the tradition of the university and completely making it all about NBA results.

The ppl who start a bunch of “KY is dead”, “we ran cal out for this” threads will be the posters who were still hanging from Cal’s messaging til the final day and bought into the being relevant on AllStar weekend is as important as titles for branding mantra bc we were “cool” on tiktok and IG.

This. The ppl that wanted Cal gone aren’t going to be calling for Popes head after 1-2 years. Cal’s downfall was in big part bc he picked a fight with the fanbase and belittled them while embracing nothing about the tradition of the university and completely making it all about NBA results.

The ppl who start a bunch of “KY is dead”, “we ran cal out for this” threads will be the posters who were still hanging from Cal’s messaging til the final day and bought into the being relevant on AllStar weekend is as important as titles for branding mantra bc we were “cool” on tiktok and IG.
If Pope won at BYU, there is no reason to think he can't win at Kentucky.

This fanbase can’t handle a terrible year next year, they just can’t. Kentucky needs to be competitive next year
I think we will compete with everything we have
I didn’t expect, nor do I now expect, for CMP to have the most elite team. It may be a ragtag bunch he has to field but you can be damn sure they will play their asses off…and Coach and his team will do all they can to make them as successful as possible

CMP has to prove what he can do with even minimal talent (by Kentucky standards)..,he has to rebuild a strong foundation to give us a successful future. I believe he will do that

Patience is required here. If we see what I think we will, that patience will pay off

Nicely written.

When fans realize if not already just how genuine Pope is, they will support him not just because of winning but because of what he represents.
True dat. Not only does he bleed blue, he's intelligent, personable, and charismatic. His work ethic is tireless. A genuinely great representative of OUR program.

Reactions: LmdCat
If Pope won at BYU, there is no reason to think he can't win at Kentucky.
Oh I agree completely. I think we have more success this season than we have the last 4.

Just saying that if we fail to produce or have a first round loss…. Those will be the only voices you hear complaining bc a lot of them were only here bc they were Cal/NBA fans to start and they want to be right

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
I’m bullish on next year. I think they will be surprisingly good. Now how that translates in March remains to be seen. But I do believe the portal gives Mark an opportunity to put together an exciting team.
How do you arrive at that conclusion when you don’t know who is on the team? I don’t mean that to be rude, like I’m genuinely curious?

If he can't do that I don't care where he comes from or who he knows to get this job he should be on a short leash.

If this fanbase is too impatient to give Pope a reasonable chance to raise the hull of the titanic of college basketball, it will truly make us look like the armpit of college basketball. No one will ever want to coach here.
Nobody did want to coach here at least with significant experience.

How do you arrive at that conclusion when you don’t know who is on the team? I don’t mean that to be rude, like I’m genuinely curious?
It’s hard for an outside fan to understand.

Mark Pope has many people excited because he understands UK basketball tradition because he was actually part of it.

I don’t know how old you are but if you saw the 1996 UK team that he captained then you watched arguably the greatest team in college basketball history during an incredible time for college basketball. Arkansas was a big part of that era as I’m sure you know.

I’m genuinely excited about recruiting again, which might sound strange. But actually recruiting with Cal gets pretty boring because you basically know his MO is grab the most amount of the highest rated players you can and sort it out later. Almost no team building because the pieces never fit and they all leave anyway. Cal and his ways got really stale.

But we’re still going to get elite guys. Cal didn’t invent that. The 1996 team had
9 players who played in the NBA. UK has always gotten elite recruits. But now they are going to be blended into an actual cohesive unit again.

It’s funny to me how some people think that how Pope recruited at BYU is indicative of how it’s going to go down here. The guy knows what an elite level team looks like and how it has to operate. He played in the NBA for six years.. Look at the staff he just put together. It’s built to recruit. He knows he has to recruit the best of the best, but he’s smart enough to know how to put the pieces together. And I have hope the pieces will actually fit.

Even if the first year has growing pains, I know that it’s still going to look like what’s been missing for quite a while now, what UK basketball is about.

That’s why people are making predictions before the roster is finalized.

Reactions: Wonky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT