ADVERTISEMENT

The official 2024 Olympics thread.

Speak for yourself. I’ve lived in and been successful in three different countries. It’s about the person, not the country.

Also, the reason so many come here is because we let them. Try emigrating to one of the other countries you mentioned. Unless you’re rich or have a connection, good luck.

-that's a good point, and germaine to many of the Mexican/Central American etc coming to the US... but I am friends with quite a few European folks who had money *before* they moved here and came here to be educated/settle/pursue happiness/wealth.

^this is not to say other places aren't awesome/you can't do well there... the system in the US makes it more attainable. There is scant upward mobility in European countries.

-the numbers don't lie. More European/Canadian etc. folks come to live in the US than vice-versa.

^I love visiting Canada and Europe, and I'm not a flag worshiper... but the US offers opportunity like nowhere else in the world.

-I hope your boy is doing better.

You’ve given yourself all you have. Living here doesn’t magically make one successful. Unless you’re on government handouts, give yourself more credit than that.

I’ve become more wealthy than I’ve ever dreamed of because I scored 90% or better on the majority of multiple choice tests I’ve taken - a lot of that because I was genetically passed down intelligence I had no control over. My family and I are forever grateful my father had the courage to come to this glorious country where the only thing stopping yourself from success are your own personal shortcomings. We are no longer oppressed, and America is still the greatest country in the world where the best and the brightest come to pursue success with not only a country that allows us - but one that encourages it and actively cheers it on. My children will always know they are lucky to live in the greatest country on earth.

-that's a good point, and germaine to many of the Mexican/Central American etc coming to the US... but I am friends with quite a few European folks who had money *before* they moved here and came here to be educated/settle/pursue happiness/wealth.

^this is not to say other places aren't awesome/you can't do well there... the system in the US makes it more attainable. There is scant upward mobility in European countries.

-the numbers don't lie. More European/Canadian etc. folks come to live in the US than vice-versa.

^I love visiting Canada and Europe, and I'm not a flag worshiper... but the US offers opportunity like nowhere else in the world.

Thanks sir - he’s in college now. He outgrew the issues in 5th grade.

Sure did. They tied and the options were share the gold or a jump off. Went with the jump off and lost

Did the other guy want to stop jumping and share it? I think both have to agree. If it was offered and the American turned it down, I think that’s a bad move. You’re probably only getting one chance at an Olympic gold medal.

In 2021 the high jumpers shared the gold - forget who they were but they mentioned it

Pretty sure the New Zealand guy didn’t want to share it so they went winner take all

Reactions: Stan the caddy
This is actually incorrect despite the "American dream" talking point. European countries have more socioeconomic upward mobility than the US has. In the US your earnings are tied to your parents' earnings more than they are in Canada or almost any European country. In the US you have a greater chance of staying poor than you do in Europe, and you have a lesser chance of working your way into the top income quintile than you do in Europe.

The American Dream has a very good propaganda team.

Last edited:
This is actually incorrect despite the "American dream" talking point. European countries have more socioeconomic upward mobility than the US has. In the US your earnings are tied to your parents' earnings more than they are in Canada or almost any European country.

I don’t know enough about this particular issue to say whether or not this is true, but the part about ending up like your parents is definitely true.

If you’re religious, it’s most likely because your parents were.

Same thing if you’re rich or poor or hard working or lazy or any other thing you can name.

This is actually incorrect despite the "American dream" talking point. European countries have more socioeconomic upward mobility than the US has. In the US your earnings are tied to your parents' earnings more than they are in Canada or almost any European country. In the US you have a greater chance of staying poor than you do in Europe, and you have a lesser chance of working your way into the top income quintile than you do in Europe.

Had some couples over last night. One was an engineer from Italy - worked in automotive - worked for Ferrari. He’s in his late 30s and moved here to the US about 8 years ago - now has his own consulting business and works primarily with Honda. Left Italy because he said there was virtually zero opportunity since his parents were farmers and it was virtually impossible to move up without connections and if he wanted to start his own business he was taxed at 72%. We both agreed how happy we were to live in America.

Reactions: rudd1
Did the other guy want to stop jumping and share it? I think both have to agree. If it was offered and the American turned it down, I think that’s a bad move. You’re probably only getting one chance at an Olympic gold medal.
Neither guy wanted to do it. There was zero discussion when the choice had to be made. They both immediately said to do a jump off.

Had some couples over last night. One was an engineer from Italy - worked in automotive - worked for Ferrari. He’s in his late 30s and moved here to the US about 8 years ago - now has his own consulting business and works primarily with Honda. Left Italy because he said there was virtually zero opportunity since his parents were farmers and it was virtually impossible to move up without connections and if he wanted to start his own business he was taxed at 72%. We both agreed how happy we were to live in America.
This actually ties in perfectly with the article I posted. America is perceived to have more upward mobility and Europe is perceived to have less, while the actual data shows the opposite. At the end of the day a a few anecdotes aren't more valuable than the many studies that have been done on this.

Like I said, the American Dream has a very good propaganda team. That's not to say none of us shouldn't be happy to live here. But the world is also very big and there are many very nice places to live.

-thanks for the link to the blurb. I'll try to read the actual essay when I get a bit of time.

^interested in the methodology/data behind this study. You know what the say about statistics.

This actually ties in perfectly with the article I posted. America is perceived to have more upward mobility and Europe is perceived to have less, while the actual data shows the opposite. At the end of the day a a few anecdotes aren't more valuable than the many studies that have been done on this.

Many studies? I just see one, that could very well have its own issues.

There are measures of upward mobility. The US ranks 27. Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Iceland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, Luxembourg, Germany, France, Slovenia, Canada, Japan, Australia, Malta, Ireland, Czech Republic, Singapore, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Estonia, Portugal, South Korea, Lithuania, United States ... [Upward Mobility Index]

Travel and you'll see.

The idea that the only place that has experienced immigrants is the US is just flat wrong. Denmark, the #1 country in upward mobility, is around 14% foreign born. About as many as here. And Denmark isn't bordered by a big outflow country. It's neighbor is Germany. Germany is 23% foreign born. The world is restless. Great Britain? Around 15%.

Americans don't go elsewhere because they're crap at learning foreign languages. Canadians used to make up a lot our immigrant population - 10% - but that had fallen to 2% in 2019. I suspect the cost of health care became a toll: the USA has 100% of bankruptcies due to medical costs. Nowhere else ruins you for getting sick.

We visited the Baltic region around 15 years ago and fell in love with the area. Copenhagen is the most homey big city I've ever seen. Around 3.5 million people and you wonder where they all are.

-thanks for the WEF wiki link, friend. If I have time I'll investigate the methodology/source material.

-I've traveled a fair bit myself, although I appreciate your attempt at snobbery and your anecdotes about how awesome other places can be, throw in a little self-loathing americans are "crap"... it's certainly on brand.

-who said other countries don't experience immigration? You're tilting at windmills.

^that said, none compares to the long term volume of immigrants to the US. England/France/Holland are closest (consequences of colonialism)... but still not in the same league. Also these countries actually process/document their immigrants.

-it will be interesting to see how northern Europe holds up... as mass immigration from non-European folks is a relatively new thing.

-railing against "the American dream" is one of the latest talking points amongst coffee house "intellectual" types. It's cliche... on par with "late stage capitalism".

^I don't deny that it's harder than ever to succeed in the US. It's that way everywhere. We would disagree on the causes.

-we will agree on the state/cost of the US Healthcare industry. It's horrid.

^imagine if, for the past 80 years we had spent *our* money on *our* Healthcare system... instead of protecting Europe/the rest of the world from the soviet union/various and sundry jihadists while they used their money to develop their subsidized Healthcare systems. In essence, by paying for their defense... the US taxpayers actually funded all these great European nations Healthcare systems. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

-to the language thing: years ago on our honeymoon in French Polynesia we were seated with all French speakers(mainly staff) for dinner one evening. Youngish kid was bitching about stupid American folks not speaking French. Older French gal (turned out to be the GM) educated him that in the US/Canada you could travel thousands of miles without encountering another language... and in Europe that's certainly not the case and its not as necessary to speak multiple languages as it is in Europe.

^at the end of the dinner my wife expressed how much we were enjoying ourselves at the resort (en français)... the little turd went pale as a ghost. The kid would *sprint* to open doors for us for the duration of our trip.

• Haha
Reactions: vhcat70
-to the language thing: years ago on our honeymoon in French Polynesia we were seated with all French speakers(mainly staff) for dinner one evening. Youngish kid was bitching about stupid American folks not speaking French. Older French gal (turned out to be the GM) educated him that in the US/Canada you could travel thousands of miles without encountering another language... and in Europe that's certainly not the case and its not as necessary to speak multiple languages as it is in Europe.

^at the end of the dinner my wife expressed how much we were enjoying ourselves at the resort (en français)... the little turd went pale as a ghost. The kid would *sprint* to open doors for us for the duration of our trip.

Canada is officially bilingual. You can’t go 5 feet without seeing 2 languages.

There are measures of upward mobility. The US ranks 27. Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Iceland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, Luxembourg, Germany, France, Slovenia, Canada, Japan, Australia, Malta, Ireland, Czech Republic, Singapore, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Estonia, Portugal, South Korea, Lithuania, United States ... [Upward Mobility Index]

Travel and you'll see.

The idea that the only place that has experienced immigrants is the US is just flat wrong. Denmark, the #1 country in upward mobility, is around 14% foreign born. About as many as here. And Denmark isn't bordered by a big outflow country. It's neighbor is Germany. Germany is 23% foreign born. The world is restless. Great Britain? Around 15%.

Americans don't go elsewhere because they're crap at learning foreign languages. Canadians used to make up a lot our immigrant population - 10% - but that had fallen to 2% in 2019. I suspect the cost of health care became a toll: the USA has 100% of bankruptcies due to medical costs. Nowhere else ruins you for getting sick.

We visited the Baltic region around 15 years ago and fell in love with the area. Copenhagen is the most homey big city I've ever seen. Around 3.5 million people and you wonder where they all are.
US has 3rd highest median income after Lux & UAE. So even w/o mobility, the average gal is still better off here. And that ignores the lower US cost of living - US has 3rd highest purchasing power after Lux & Switz. Net, both higher income & ability to buy more with it in US. Why want to move anywhere?

Americans can go just about anywhere & speak English & be just fine. Learning a language is way down the list of importance for English speakers. Had a tour guide in Berlin from Argentina! She did great job. Had lived there 3-4 years and hasn't learned German as didn't need to. Visited suppliers in small town France. All the young folk wanted to do was speak English to me.

Canada is officially bilingual. You can’t go 5 feet without seeing 2 languages.

-was it officially that way 25 years ago(time of the story)? Also, that's a political statement. Not an actual practice...outside of Quebec.

-speaking of, spent some time in Quebec City and Montreal last year.... cannot wait to return. Great place. Great people.

^one weird service thing a bartender /server was being a bit rude... until he found out we were Americans, he was great afterward. Turns out he originally thought we were from Ontario.

• Haha
But you go 2000 miles w/o hearing French spoken. Signs are just there to annoy English speakers. Quebecers love doing that.

I lived in northern Ontario for decades, there are French speakers everywhere. Every Canadian kid takes French every year in school. It’s ubiquitous.

-was it officially that way 25 years ago(time of the story)? Also, that's a political statement. Not an actual practice...outside of Quebec.

-speaking of, spent some time in Quebec City and Montreal last year.... cannot wait to return. Great place. Great people.

^one weird service thing a bartender /server was being a bit rude... until he found out we were Americans, he was great afterward. Turns out he originally thought we were from Ontario.
That sounds about right. Quebecers hate Canada.

And yeah, l left Canada in the mid 90s. Me and every other kid took French for 12 years in school. Lots of French speakers and English with French accents.

That sounds about right. Quebecers hate Canada.

And yeah, l left Canada in the mid 90s. Me and every other kid took French for 12 years in school. Lots of French speakers and English with French accents.

-I think that Spanish should be treated the same way in the US schools for practical purposes.

-I can read in French and Spanish... can't speak either well at all.

^1st time I went to Paris I was eager to "practice"... folks would let me try for a bit then switch to English. As VH said the young folks loved to practice their English anyway.

-I think that Spanish should be treated the same way in the US schools for practical purposes.

-I can read in French and Spanish... can't speak either well at all.

^1st time I went to Paris I was eager to "practice"... folks would let me try for a bit then switch to English. As VH said the young folks loved to practice their English anyway.

Yeah, I spent about 6 weeks in France not long after I moved to the US. I thought my French was pretty good. Discovered quickly that conversing in Canadian French with a Parisienne wasn’t a walk in the park.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT