ADVERTISEMENT

The official 2024 Olympics thread.

Serious Simone Biles GIF by Team USA

Team USA brings the gold in women’s gymnastics

Only in the OIympics :

*We have a Egyptian fencer competing while 7 months pregnant

* American gymnast (who did not even make the team) Stephen Nodoroscik, an accountant by day, rode into the Olympics, competed in his ONE event, the pommel horse, killed it and helped US win Bronze in team gymnastics. Only competing in one event.

*The wrong national anthem was played while introducing the South Sudan athletes.

Many more odd happenings have already been mentioned.

• Wow
Reactions: AustinTXCat
Only in the OIympics :

*We have a Egyptian fencer competing while 7 months pregnant

* American gymnast (who did not even make the team) Stephen Nodoroscik, an accountant by day, rode into the Olympics, competed in his ONE event, the pommel horse, killed it and helped US win Bronze in team gymnastics. Only competing in one event.

*The wrong national anthem was played while introducing the South Sudan athletes.

Many more odd happenings have already been mentioned.
They introduced South Korea as North Korea too. That's a pretty big mistake.

Watching women’s team handball (Brazil vs France). I like this sport, not seen it before. I would have loved playing it when I was younger (basketball meets soccer/hockey meets dodgeball).

Reactions: Stan the caddy
Pet peeve -- and I know there are lots of places where you can watch the Olympics if you want to see stuff bad enough -- but it bugs me to irrational levels that NBC only shows you gymnastics and swimming for basically two weeks straight. There are something like 400 events and a lot of incredible athletes participating, but it gets whittled down to two groups of athletes occupying countless hours on the main network. Wish they'd spread the love around a little more.

Pet peeve -- and I know there are lots of places where you can watch the Olympics if you want to see stuff bad enough -- but it bugs me to irrational levels that NBC only shows you gymnastics and swimming for basically two weeks straight. There are something like 400 events and a lot of incredible athletes participating, but it gets whittled down to two groups of athletes occupying countless hours on the main network. Wish they'd spread the love around a little more.

Agree 100%, and I will add about all NBC shows are US athletes, don't recall hardly seeing one female gymnast at all other than US girls.

Yes, I know there are other channels, but not everybody has a big cable package.

Agree 100%, and I will add about all NBC shows are US athletes, don't recall hardly seeing one female gymnast at all other than US girls.

Yes, I know there are other channels, but not everybody has a big cable package.

And not everyone wants to be flipping around channels. If NBC has the main TV rights for this, then I'd rather THAT channel be more spread out.. and if you want to watch the 7th 200m qualifying swim event of the evening, you can do that on their 2nd channel.

Not to mention, Swimming might be one of the more boring events to watch. Even something like PingPong is more varied and engaging. I'm glad we do well in it, but it does get a little repetitive to watch.

Reactions: Tskware
Watching women’s team handball (Brazil vs France). I like this sport, not seen it before. I would have loved playing it when I was younger (basketball meets soccer/hockey meets dodgeball).
We had that in college in intramural sports back in the day and it was insanely popular and tons of fun.

That is my complaint every year.
Last night I found team hand ball. It was really entertaining. And unlike gymnastics, a real sport (because the outcome is not subjective).

We had that in college in intramural sports back in the day and it was insanely popular and tons of fun.
I must be older than you. All we had was the basics (flag football, softball, basketball, maybe soccer & a couple others). I would have rocked hand ball, could throw hard and accurate and from all kinds of angles and body positions.

Broomball was my favorite intramural sport. Ice hockey but with regular shoes, brooms for sticks and a big heavy ball. Games were played as late as midnight. Alcohol was involved.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Swimming ends Friday I think & is replaced by track & field the second week. Diving goes on thru the weekend.

I'd heard of Rugby 7's but had never watched till men's gold medal game. Pretty fun to watch. Fairly close approximation to US football less the forward pass. Much more wide open than 11 on 11.

Reactions: Jeff Drummond
Broomball was my favorite intramural sport. Ice hockey but with regular shoes, brooms for sticks and a big heavy ball. Games were played as late as midnight. Alcohol was involved.

We played our share of broomball back home too. Not as fun as hockey but great for guys who can’t skate. And lots of great falls with drunk dudes running around on the ice.

Reactions: Glenn's take
How does the US have no shooting medals? Do we need to petition them to have the shooting events in schools or something?
Last night the Brittish guy (Gold medal) was smokin hot on his shots 48 of 50 hits, breaking the old Olympic record by I think 5. I think 2nd got 44 (which also broke the old record). After those 2 it dropped off significantly (I think the American got like 19 but was still in the top 6).

Why not. I can easily count a half dozen events that are much less a sport than flag football.

Rhythmic Gymnastics, any “synchronized” events top my list of non sports in the Olympics. Then anything with judges. I prefer the outcome to be decided on the field, not by someone’s opinion.

That's my opinion too. Applies to diving also. Even though boxing & wrestling are judged, the competitors are head-to-head.
gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics, diving, surfing, syncronized swimming, figure skating, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. That doesn't mean those are extremely athletic and difficult competitions, I'm sure they are.

Boxing and wrestling though are sports, because how you get a point is not subjective. In boxing you get a point for each legal punch landed. Pro-boxing though, is subjective (unless KO) because then points are subjectively awarded by judges based on who they think did the best.

E and USA networks are covering along with some Peacock stations as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT