ADVERTISEMENT

The Next Man Up

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
if this really is the end for Cal then there is only one guy Kentucky should go after….. Nate Oats

A lot of you all may not like him because of how he handled certain situations but the guy can coach, he’s young, and has proven he can win.

I can easily list 7 guys right now i’d take over Calipari
Lloyd
Tang
Beard
Drew
Hurley
Oats
Dusty May
IMO Oats is the man for the job. Proven he can win in the SEC with lesser talent and I think you give him the resources to recruit even better talent than he could end up being really good at UK

if this really is the end for Cal then there is only one guy Kentucky should go after….. Nate Oats

A lot of you all may not like him because of how he handled certain situations but the guy can coach, he’s young, and has proven he can win.
Hell. No. There’s a decent amount of solid coaches that don’t seem completely bereft of morality and empathy.

Just give me someone who puts winning and the program first. I don’t expect any coach to keep players around 4 years, I really don’t give a crap about that or having all KY boys. But we need a coach who can gameplan, make in game adjustments, and puts the best players/line ups on the court. I’m not too worried about the next coach “taking a player’s heart.” Basically give me a basketball coach, not a guidance counselor.

Brainfart has bankrupted athletics...not sure how we pay for a buyout and a new coach, who is going to ask for a deal similar to the one dip shit gave to Slouch Cal...we need to clean house.

Reactions: jrm693
Just give me someone who puts winning and the program first. I don’t expect any coach to keep players around 4 years, I really don’t give a crap about that or having all KY boys. But we need a coach who can gameplan, make in game adjustments, and puts the best players/line ups on the court. I’m not too worried about the next coach “taking a player’s heart.” Basically give me a basketball coach, not a guidance counselor.
This. Cal is a social worker now. Not a coach.

This but you do want a coach that isn’t a complete ahole to fans and acts with some sense (not shoving other team’s players comes to mind).

I just think Drew is just like Calipari, he can hardly win at Baylor. I just don’t know if he would be right for Kentucky
Baylor when he arrived was probably the worst basketball job in the country. They had just gotten off a scandal where a teammate killed another teammate. And they covered it up. He has a title at Baylor and is now starting to land 5 star recruits. He also has a pretty solid eye for assistant coaching talent. Jerome Tang is from his tree and is doing pretty damn solid at Kansas St.

Baylor when he arrived was probably the worst basketball job in the country. They had just gotten off a scandal where a teammate killed another teammate. And they covered it up. He has a title at Baylor and is now starting to land 5 star recruits. He also has a pretty solid eye for assistant coaching talent. Jerome Tang is from his tree and is doing pretty damn solid at Kansas St.
Baylor made an E8 in like his 4 or 5th season. Then they made another a couple of years later. It then took them a decade to make another. In the last 10 years they have been past the sw16 once. Scott Drew sucks because of Scott Drew, not Baylor.

Baylor made an E8 in like his 4 or 5th season. Then they made another a couple of years later. It then took them a decade to make another. In the last 10 years they have been past the sw16 once. Scott Drew sucks because of Scott Drew, not Baylor.
Scott Drew is at Baylor brother. Calipari made two title game appearances in 25 years at Umass and Memphis. Came to UK and made two in 5 years.

Like I said, I know Sampson is older than Calipari, but he would provide a good bridge to the next up-and-coming guy, because, right now, that guy doesn't exist.

He's done well at Oklahoma and Houston and has gone to two Final Fours.

I can easily list 7 guys right now i’d take over Calipari
Lloyd
Tang
Beard
Drew
Hurley
Oats
Dusty May

Beard wouldn't be considered here. Oats either. Too much baggage for barnie.

Lloyd hasn't done anything n the post season so let's give him a few years to show something.

Drew would probably be high on barnies list. Hurley would take the call and politely decline. May's is an interesting option.

Then again Shaka looked like a great option and went to a big job and failed. And Texas isn't even as big as uk.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Like I said, I know Sampson is older than Calipari, but he would provide a good bridge to the next up-and-coming guy, because, right now, that guy doesn't exist.

Hell no.

Reactions: OleBum
there was a report out about Mitch last year about how his first call would be Scott Drew.
I believe that was more of what people thought would happen, not necessarily a report. The thought process by some is that Mitch probably went from Chris Holtman as the first call to Scott Drew as the first call. I can 100% see Scott Drew as being the call. After the relationship struggle between Cal and Mitch, I can see Mitch looking for a proven guy who he feels he could work with really well....Drew would be that guy.

And coming to UK might be just enough to get him over the top and win his first championship.

I'm not as sold on Oats as a lot of people are. If we want an upgrade, his NCAA Tournament resume at Bama scares me a little:

2021 - 2 seed losing to an 11 seed in the Sweet 16
2022 - 6 seed losing to an 11 seed in the First Round
2023 - 1 seed losing to a 5 seed in the Sweet 16

Definitely make the call, UCONN is just a great job for him where he is having great success and UCONN is a great basketball school. It may feel like a lateral move.
While UCONN may be great winning there does not hold a candle to winning at UK. Much bigger spotlight. Guess it depends on if Hurley is someone that wants that.

While UCONN may be great winning there does not hold a candle to winning at UK. Much bigger spotlight. Guess it depends on if Hurley is someone that wants that.
I mean, yeah, UK is the GOAT throughout history for sure, but UCONN has 5 titles, tons of tourney success and more success recently. Winning matters to that program and fans. Also, Rupp as of late has been pitiful and embarrassing in terms of crowd noise and general atmosphere. I don't think playing in that arena would feel too big to him.

Reactions: RunninRichie
The list needs to be..

Top choices in no order
Pitino- he wont come back but you call, everyone loves a redemption story
Frank Vogul
Mark Few
Drew
Beard (is he a nike guy with nike connections for recruiting purposes? if not then no)
Pearl
Donovan

Second list would be
Oats
Musselman
Lloyd
Creighton's coach.. McDermott

some guys are old and would only coach 4 years .. ... i dont know why some think we need a longer term coach....... I dont care if we have a new coach every year as long as we keep up with UK winning tradition.

And yes those coaches might not want to come after calls and talks but like CM Newton, you call people up several times with higher offers, you bend over backwards... and barnhart better do whatever it takes to commit to saving UK basketball. although I think his ass should be forced out of the state for allowing the 2 worst non probation era's at UK.

Definitely make the call, UCONN is just a great job for him where he is having great success and UCONN is a great basketball school. It may feel like a lateral move.

UConn is a better modern program than UK. 5 Titles in 24 years. It would be a reach calling it lateral at this point.

Not to mention, at UK he has a relentless fanbase that he doesn't have to deal with at UConn all the while playing in a generally weaker conference. And he's an East Coast guy.

Make the call, but don't hold your breath.

Sign me up for Oats, Drew, or Lloyd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT