ADVERTISEMENT

The Next Man Up

if this really is the end for Cal then there is only one guy Kentucky should go after….. Nate Oats

A lot of you all may not like him because of how he handled certain situations but the guy can coach, he’s young, and has proven he can win.
This is like someone talking about what they are going to spend their money on if they hit the power ball. Oats has a 12 million dollar buyout, and we still owe Cal over 32 million after this, but it's nice to dream.

Throw $12 million at Dan Hurley and hope he can overcome the pressure here, and SEC treatment of UK.

I think Cal is for sure gone at the end of this year, and if not, it sure has to be the year after when the buyout is little. Going to be a very pivotal time for UK moving forward.

We have to nail the coaching hire.
We need to figure out a plan for NIL and how to draw out of state kids to a place like Lexington.
We need to make some changes to Rupp and the fan section.
We need to look at a better S&C department apparently.
We need to sit down with the SEC and have a little chit chat about how they treat their biggest basketball program.

The game has passed Cal by, period! It’s time for a change!!!! They’re only 2 choices, imo. DONAVON OR STEVENS!!!

Scott Drew is at Baylor brother. Calipari made two title game appearances in 25 years at Umass and Memphis. Came to UK and made two in 5 years.
Baylor is in TX which produces among the most talent of any state in the country. They have a lot of weathly donors that have invested heavily in the program. They are in one of the top 3 power 5 conferences, particularly for basketball. They have recruited well. With all of that, they have 1 F4, 2 other E8's, 0 big 12 championships, and they have shared the big 12 regular season title twice.

Cal took 2 mid majors to the final four, 1 of them to a runner-up finish. Both of them took less than a decade, Drew took 19 years. Cal had 3 other E8's on top of those. That was all at mid majors. Not to mention countless other conference titles.

Scott Drew is trash. In the last decade, Baylor has been past the sw16 once.

I mean the coach we have now has a round of 32 ceiling….
Ehh, Cal has ban past the rd of 32 a few times if I recall correctly.

The list needs to be..

Top choices in no order
Pitino- he wont come back but you call, everyone loves a redemption story
Frank Vogul
Mark Few
Drew
Beard (is he a nike guy with nike connections for recruiting purposes? if not then no)
Pearl
Donovan

Second list would be
Oats
Musselman
Lloyd
Creighton's coach.. McDermott

some guys are old and would only coach 4 years .. ... i dont know why some think we need a longer term coach....... I dont care if we have a new coach every year as long as we keep up with UK winning tradition.

And yes those coaches might not want to come after calls and talks but like CM Newton, you call people up several times with higher offers, you bend over backwards... and barnhart better do whatever it takes to commit to saving UK basketball. although I think his ass should be forced out of the state for allowing the 2 worst non probation era's at UK.
No way you actually think Mark Few should coach here…. Like you understand he can’t even win in a weak conference at Gonzaga? That’s a big no for me

Don't see any world in which MB calls Oats. Mitch had to be convinced by Mike Pratt to hire Cal.

He won't hire Oats, Pearl, Beard or any of those kind. Just don't see it happening.

First call will be Scott Drew unless it is a fly at Jay Wright or something. After that, who knows? Not a ton proven winners out there in college ranks.

Lastly, Calipari isn't going anywhere unless he quits or is fired with a massive buyout. If they fire him with a massive buyout, even on a 10 year plan, they won't be able to afford one of these guys.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Cal buyout is what, roughly $30 million now? I guess conceivably IF he agreed to take it over 10 years we could get a big name.

You could double Drew's Baylor salary, pay him $7M and then pay Cal $3M a year on a mini Bobby Bonilla deal.

This is Kentucky. I'd imagine a lot of coaches would love to take a shot at coaching here. Why would they not? It's never going to happen but there's one dude at the top of my list and it's Brad Stevens. After that, I'd take most any coach with a handle on how to coach defense/end game situations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT