ADVERTISEMENT

The most likely scenario for Cal leaving…

jrpross

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
…in my opinion is a negotiation and “mutual” separation. I’d LOVE if one of the rumors were true about another team being interested but I find that unlikely. The buyout is probably too great for Mitch to fire him.

But Cal’s ego is the key here. He doesn’t want to be “fired” and I guarantee he still thinks he can coach. If he was straight up fired, (correct me if I’m wrong) but I believe his annual buyout payment would stop if he took another coaching job. But if Mitch offered Cal a lump sum (say 12-15 million) for the two parties to part ways it would accomplish a few things for both sides. It would allow Cal to save face AND it would give him a bunch of money but still get to find another job. It would cut the 30 million+ buyout down for Mitch and allow HIM to save face with the fans.

Frankly everyone comes out looking good in this scenario aside from UK still having to shell out a tidy sum, but with so many fans ready to stop supporting the program, I have to think it would be financially worth it. Anything I’m missing here? Maybe someone smarter than me can chime in…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.