ADVERTISEMENT

The most annoying thing about our defense.

Jamal Mercer

All-American
Feb 7, 2008
Michigan
Actually 2 things:

1. When the ball is passed down to the low post. Bradshaw or Ugo are there. Two 7 footers with a huge wingspan. Dillingham (or insert any guard here) leaves his man WIDE OPEN at the 3 point line to try and swipe at the ball. Countless 3s have been given up this way so far. I know AB and Ugo aren’t lights out on D but let’s give them a shot to prove otherwise. I’ve definitely seen Ugo hold his own a couple times one on one.

2. Why do our big men insist on following their non-shooting man out to the 3 point line (I understand they have to when their man is setting a ball screen)?

Last night on a couple occasions AB followed the huge really dark skinned guy out to the 3 pt line, which allowed two layups with no resistance whatsoever at the rim.

Drives me insane.

I'll add Dilly going under screens and not closing with a hand up like EVER. Fight over the top.

Edwards has improved upon but will be late out to a guy who is raining 3's and not have a hand up. Will say Cal has yanked him several times for this and rightfully so and did last night upon Burks entry-immediately into the game-didn't take his assignment seriously and got torched for 3 and out he went. I'm fine with that.

This year's team-specifically when they are in that 14 pt range--run teams off the 3pt line and make them play catch up with you from 2pt land. But they seem to always get lacks/let up on close outs.

Also to everyone on the team and this is one thing I credit Cal and have used this with my own team for years after observing what he said and as simple as it sounds-it does decide games so often--USE TWO HANDS TO REBOUND A BALL! PLEASE!!! It's so simple yet the amount of times you gift extra possessions and give up 3's usually when you lose possession from tipping a ball or going after it with 1 and the opponent has 2 on it is sickening and so true in terms of negative outcome for your team.

I sense a general lack of energy and intensity on the part of some of our key players. Coaches can coach positioning, switching, getting through screens, rotation, hands up, etc. But they can't coach desire. It's the difference between the "know how" and the "want to".

I'll add Dilly going under screens and not closing with a hand up like EVER. Fight over the top.

Edwards has improved upon but will be late out to a guy who is raining 3's and not have a hand up. Will say Cal has yanked him several times for this and rightfully so and did last night upon Burks entry-immediately into the game-didn't take his assignment seriously and got torched for 3 and out he went. I'm fine with that.

This year's team-specifically when they are in that 14 pt range--run teams off the 3pt line and make them play catch up with you from 2pt land. But they seem to always get lacks/let up on close outs.

Also to everyone on the team and this is one thing I credit Cal and have used this with my own team for years after observing what he said and as simple as it sounds-it does decide games so often--USE TWO HANDS TO REBOUND A BALL! PLEASE!!! It's so simple yet the amount of times you gift extra possessions and give up 3's usually when you lose possession from tipping a ball or going after it with 1 and the opponent has 2 on it is sickening and so true in terms of negative outcome for your team.
Yesterday I think he went over some screens, otherwise he's giving too much space at the arc.

• We don't fight through ball screens. The slightest contact throws off our guys.
  • Our guards, especially Rob and Reed, ball watch too much
  • Our defensive mechanics are terrible (standing straight up, flat footed, hands down and not sliding to stay in front of the man)
  • Our close outs are terrible. We either run out to the shooter with hands down or we jump at a ball fake and watch as they blow by.
  • At times some of our guys are lazy defensive end and seem to be saving energy for the offensive end.

These are a few of my observations and some may disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT