ADVERTISEMENT

The modern game dictates that we can't have our bigs chilling in the post clogging the lane.

Modem game? Sounds like Nail in the Head or another PlayStation Strategist.

The is college basketball. Defense and skill set rule the roost not offensive ESPN highlights.
Spreading the floor, spacing, driving lanes, it's not complicated. How did you get ESPN highlights from that? College basketball is littered with coaches who fell off because they were stubborn, stuck in their ways, and refused to adapt to the changing game.

Spreading the floor, spacing, driving lanes, it's not complicated. How did you get ESPN highlights from that? College basketball is littered with coaches who fell off because they were stubborn, stuck in their ways, and refused to adapt to the changing game.

Yup Another PlayStation jockey.

Defense and fundamental basketball skills own the game. I don’t think you’ll find this coach littering anything.

Yup Another PlayStation jockey.

Defense and fundamental basketball skills own the game. I don’t think you’ll find this coach littering anything.
Spreading the floor, spacing, and driving lanes has nothing to do with playstation or SSPN highlights. It also doesn't have anything to do with defense, and doesn't negate basketball skills, I'm talking about the offense we run. You're so ate up with defending Cal that you're talking complete nonsense. I'm not saying fire Cal, I'm not saying Cal is a bad coach, I'm saying our offense is bad because we have poor spacing and clog driving lanes and it should be fixed.

Spreading the floor, spacing, and driving lanes has nothing to do with playstation or SSPN highlights. It also doesn't have anything to do with defense, and doesn't negate basketball skills, I'm talking about the offense we run. You're so ate up with defending Cal that you're talking complete nonsense. I'm not saying fire Cal, I'm not saying Cal is a bad coach, I'm saying our offense is bad because we have poor spacing and clog driving lanes and it should be fixed.

i agree that spacing is bad. I’ve said this many times. It’s a basic skill never taught at prep level. Clogging the lanes? That’s crap and a crutch for poor interior passing skills.

Reactions: ruppcat
It's infuriating to watch. And Matt Jones who only takes up for Cal is sitting on the post game show going well you know it's Cal and he's never going to change he plays a certain way and that's it we just have to live with it. If Matt Jones is kind of throwing shade at Cal, my god you know it's something.

Well, you know who else played a certain way and they literally invented the shot clock because of him? Dean Smith. You know who Cal is compared to all the time? Dean Smith. He's usually compared to him for doing the least with the most but honestly as they used to say about Michael Jordan the only guy who stop Jordan from scoring 30 was Dean Smith. He always wanted to slow it down against good teams and it cost him probably 7-8 titles over the years. You have better players you create tempo and play for maximum possessions because you want to create more opportunities to have your talent out maneuver theirs. I hate to say it but we are reaching that territory with our offense. Now tonight we scored 92 points or whatever but we have got to, got to, get modern players and run modern systems.

And after we get those modern players and modern system we may need to get some modern coaching.

Looking back on this, and seeing what PJ Washington is doing in the NBA, was 3-point shooting a weakness for PJ?

So many high school stars game wilt as soon as our staff gets hold of them. Just as quickly do many recover and blossom as soon as they leave.

One thing always stays the same with this team is they get behind at tip off and then make a recovery against the also rans. Won't continue against the good teams and coaches.

Cal white knights are scratching their heads over the criticism he’s been getting, meanwhile this thread will be 3 years old later this year. Props to op for a finely aged take.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
This thread was correct when it was pointed, but we were a good enough team to hide some of those flaws. Hopefully this season has woke up a lot of the people who were disagreeing with this take. We have to adapt to how the game is being played or we’ll have a lot more 60 point games to look forward to

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Just a continuation of a stubborn pattern.

Cal’s obsession with size has really set him back. He seems to think it so important that he always have the biggest longest lineup on the court, despite the fact that he keeps getting his ass kicked by much smaller teams with better perimeter skills. He’s just out of touch with how the game has changed.

Reactions: Montana81
Just a continuation of a stubborn pattern.

Cal’s obsession with size has really set him back. He seems to think it so important that he always have the biggest longest lineup on the court, despite the fact that he keeps getting his ass kicked by much smaller teams with better perimeter skills. He’s just out of touch with how the game has changed.
Facts

images

I loved the Lance Ware Oscar Tshiebwe lineup. LOL at people still defending this crap.

“the greatest trick the devil pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist”

this was so sadly prophetic by the way.

strong bump game

Modern basketball is about spreading the floor, having an open lane for cuts and drives, and shooting. I think a major problem with our offense last year besides shooting was having multiple guys on the low block, further clogging the lane. We shouldve played Knox at the 4 and PJ at the 5. That opens up the court and makes us a better shooting team.

This year, our 3 bigs should operate as face up guys and set screens instead of posting up. Our guards historically haven't been the best at feeding the post anyway.
They’re getting a lesson tonight. Well another lesson.

This isnt the NBA. Dont get it twisted. Didnt a bigman UNC team just win 2 years ago? Is that modern enough.?
You are posting a one-off and feel real proud about it. I posted a warning of what would happen if we ran the offense through Oscar tonight. Outcome was very predictable.

One huge issue with this team is Oscar is so bad defensively that to get any rim protection whatsoever you almost have to play another big alongside him. Of course that bogs the offense down but when teams are running layup lines against us, probably best to give Collins some extended run.

There is a big difference between spreading the floor and stretching the floor. A ton of teams spread the floor because that is the current fad in the college game.
You need to have shooters to stretch the defense. Then you have to allow them to miss without looking over their shoulder.

We're one of the best in offensive efficiency. Offense isnt fantastic but we can certainly win with it. Our defense at times is awful and we absolutely can't win with it

Yes it was. I’m not sure why y’all think because the defense was bad that the offense isn’t a problem. It’s almost like y’all don’t watch the games.

We're one of the best in offensive efficiency. Offense isnt fantastic but we can certainly win with it. Our defense at times is awful and we absolutely can't win with it
Our offfensive efficiency numbers are good because we get an insane amount of offense rebounds, not because we run good offense. We run awful offense, most of our baskets come from great individual plays, not getting good looks out of the offense we run. I can’t believe a knowledgeable fan can watch these games, see our offense and think it’s anything but awful. No spacing, no driving lanes, no drive and kicks just a bunch of ghost screens being set and guys going one on one or settling for mid range jumpers. That’s awful basketball.

Our offfensive efficiency numbers are good because we get an insane amount of offense rebounds, not because we run good offense. We run awful offense, most of our baskets come from great individual plays, not getting good looks out of the offense we run. I can’t believe a knowledgeable fan can watch these games, see our offense and think it’s anything but awful. No spacing, no driving lanes, no drive and kicks just a bunch of ghost screens being set and guys going one on one or settling for mid range jumpers. That’s awful basketball.

Might be why but the results are the same - one of the best in offensive efficiency. You can win with that.

What you can't win with is constantly giving up layups and open 3s, which we did

You call this winning with that? We’re not winning at the level we should, settling for good enough isn’t Kentucky basketball.

I didn't say we are winning at all. I said you can win with an offensive efficiency at that level and you can. That's why defense is the problem right now.

There can't be a simpler explanation. So if you insist on just rattling on about nonsense just because Jones must be saying it, then feel free. I won't bother responding because the facts are the facts.

I didn't say we are winning at all. I said you can win with an offensive efficiency at that level and you can. That's why defense is the problem right now.

There can't be a simpler explanation. So if you insist on just rattling on about nonsense just because Jones must be saying it, then feel free. I won't bother responding because the facts are the facts.
The offensive efficiency is due to offense rebounding, nothing else. Cal runs a trash offense, we outrebounded K State by 20 and still lost. That’s unheard of and illustrates how bad the offense we run is. You watch the offense be stagnant fame after game, you see the spacing issues, you see guys being relegated to going one on one at the end of shotclocks, jacking up contested 17 footers, and an embarrassing number of shot clock violations and you still don’t get it.

We scored 23 and 26 points in back to back halves and you still don’t get it.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
The offensive efficiency is due to offense rebounding, nothing else. Cal runs a trash offense, we outrebounded K State by 20 and still lost. That’s unheard of and illustrates how bad the offense we run is. You watch the offense be stagnant fame after game, you see the spacing issues, you see guys being relegated to going one on one at the end of shotclocks, jacking up contested 17 footers, and an embarrassing number of shot clock violations and you still don’t get it.

We scored 23 and 26 points in back to back halves and you still don’t get it.
I’ve said it all year.

Our roster makeup is just wrong. You have to have at least four players on the floor that can make a three. The stats don't lie. Outside of a layup the next most efficient shot is the corner three and then all other threes. A game shooting a bunch of mid-range jumpers is going to end in disaster eventually.

That being said, our defense is terrible . We once again let a little point guard beat us because we couldn't stay in front of him. UConn twice, Auburn, and now K-State. Cal loves him some big guards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT