ADVERTISEMENT

The longer we go…

I really enjoyed the introductory rally at Rupp, but it felt like a bit of a dog and pony show to me. If I'm not mistaken, we had more than enough dogs and ponies under the Cal regime. I think it would have behooved Pope to try to manage expectations for the first year or two. One can be both enthusiastic and realistic at the same time. There will be a lot of frayed nerves and pointing of fingers if things aren't trending the right way by his second season at the helm.

Spoken like someone who doesn’t understand momentum and time are the essential qualities after you run off an hall of fame coach.

I hope you’re wearing knee pads as much as you’re gobbling the dude responsible for the worst season and worst tournament losses in our history.

Reactions: NociHTTP and KFuqua
Kenny Brooks was announced as the women’s head coach in March 28
He signed his first recruit on April 4

Can we give Mark at least that much time before we panic?
eb4ffaa8baf14193d5cf4a2ddefd4c4d.gif

No?

…with no commits, no returnees (Reed especially), the more the shine of that press conference is going to wear off.

We literally don’t have a team right now and if you look at Kenny brooks quick work on the women’s team, you realize this is a game that is dictated by pace.

Add in the fact that the BYU players are mostly not following (not that they’re the cream of the crop either) and the ones we thought could come back most likely aren’t, and it looks like it’s gonna be a very rough year next year.

I was low on the hire, then high on it, and now I’m moderating back to how can we win if we have no players. Z to Arkansas is a huge blow.

The longer we go without filling out this roster the more of a disaster this will become. Pope will have zero goodwill with the fan base if he goes 15-15.
Well... at least we aren't panicking yet!

I really enjoyed the introductory rally at Rupp, but it felt like a bit of a dog and pony show to me. If I'm not mistaken, we had more than enough dogs and ponies under the Cal regime. I think it would have behooved Pope to try to manage expectations for the first year or two. One can be both enthusiastic and realistic at the same time. There will be a lot of frayed nerves and pointing of fingers if things aren't trending the right way by his second season at the helm.
Sunday felt NOTHING like Calipari. Nothing at all.

• Love
Reactions: NociHTTP and KFuqua
Flights back and forth to Provo, sleep, eating, an hour with Mitch, hour with Leach, conversation with wife and family, pack a lotta bags, talk to old team, inform BYU administrators, talk to agent 50 times, ahem…. When was he supposed to do this?

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
…with no commits, no returnees (Reed especially), the more the shine of that press conference is going to wear off.

We literally don’t have a team right now and if you look at Kenny brooks quick work on the women’s team, you realize this is a game that is dictated by pace.

Add in the fact that the BYU players are mostly not following (not that they’re the cream of the crop either) and the ones we thought could come back most likely aren’t, and it looks like it’s gonna be a very rough year next year.

I was low on the hire, then high on it, and now I’m moderating back to how can we win if we have no players. Z to Arkansas is a huge blow.

The longer we go without filling out this roster the more of a disaster this will become. Pope will have zero goodwill with the fan base if he goes 15-15.
Debbie Downer Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

As of the time you posted this, Kenny Brooks had been on the job for 3 full weeks. Pope,,,,one day. Recruiting Men's BB right now is exponentially more difficult with the high NIL dollars at stake. Give Pope some time. Kids have to make visits and talk with the coaches. they aren't just instantaneously going to choose UK without some research. Especially at this point in the process. I think you will see a lot more movement in weeks two and three as you have seen with Brooks, especially now that a staff is close to being set and they can cast a bigger net.

How long has Kelsey been on the job at UofL, he has 5 committed guys so far. and one of them is redshirting, so technically he has four available for next year officially. Quaintance will give him five if all indications are true. Us, UofL and Arkansas are the ones most battling to fill out rosters. Other schools are looking to fill spots here and there. There's still 12 days left for players to enter the portal. I'm not going to be worried this early in the process. If this drags into mid-May/June and we're struggling with only 5-6 guys committed, then i'll worry.

There was some truth to the whole "microwave" comment Mitch made years ago. Too many fans hitting the panic button way too fast when results aren't instantaneous. Give it time. I promise we will have a team to put out on the court next year.

If news don’t start trickling out next week, I will be fully convinced that Pope is in way over his head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT