ADVERTISEMENT

The longer we go…

R.667c6f1634f4d48bcbe4f2ebc9753fcf

…with no commits, no returnees (Reed especially), the more the shine of that press conference is going to wear off.

We literally don’t have a team right now and if you look at Kenny brooks quick work on the women’s team, you realize this is a game that is dictated by pace.

Add in the fact that the BYU players are mostly not following (not that they’re the cream of the crop either) and the ones we thought could come back most likely aren’t, and it looks like it’s gonna be a very rough year next year.

I was low on the hire, then high on it, and now I’m moderating back to how can we win if we have no players. Z to Arkansas is a huge blow.

The longer we go without filling out this roster the more of a disaster this will become. Pope will have zero goodwill with the fan base if he goes 15-15.
Did you not hear CMP say tonight his phone is ringing off the hook? Said he needed to get the right guys for this team. That means evaluating the applicants.

Also said he they are finalizing contracts with a couple assistants.

Been in Lex 1 day OP.

Spoken like someone who doesn’t understand momentum and time are the essential qualities after you run off an hall of fame coach.
Look I defended Calipari A LOT over the years, but this narrative that Calipari was ran off is a pretty one sided view of the situation. Calipari could have helped himself A LOT if he wasn't such a dick to the fans literally every time he talked and if he didn't alienate everyone around him. He could have even done a lot to help himself after the season ended like going on KSR or any type of outreach to just level with people. He had no desire to do that.

I think it’s worth stating again, if I understand correctly, that the portal closes on May 1st in terms of players ENTERING the portal! They will be committing all summer from it! Plus those that enter the portal and declare for the draft, just to go through the draft process and then withdraw, are still available to transfer (I think the withdraw deadline is in May sometime?). Plus there are then the perennial usual random studs that get out of LOIs throughout the summer, reclassifications, and international prospects. These are actually the reasons I felt it was prudent to give Donovan a week if he was genuinely interested. That said, I’M 100% in for Pope! We will field a competitive roster! I believe in the Papacy!

Reactions: Catfan2226
…with no commits, no returnees (Reed especially), the more the shine of that press conference is going to wear off.

We literally don’t have a team right now and if you look at Kenny brooks quick work on the women’s team, you realize this is a game that is dictated by pace.

Add in the fact that the BYU players are mostly not following (not that they’re the cream of the crop either) and the ones we thought could come back most likely aren’t, and it looks like it’s gonna be a very rough year next year.

I was low on the hire, then high on it, and now I’m moderating back to how can we win if we have no players. Z to Arkansas is a huge blow.

The longer we go without filling out this roster the more of a disaster this will become. Pope will have zero goodwill with the fan base if he goes 15-15.
He just got here yesterday. Relax. All will be fine.

UK was coming off several years of probation that devastated recruiting. There was no portal. Completely from scratch with Kentucky kids.
Incorrect. That was our first year of probation. We actually only had a two year tourney ban (90 and 91).

And it certainly wasn’t all “Kentucky” kids. That team’s best player, Derrick Miller, wasn’t one, nor were guys like Sean Woods (it’s starting point) and Jeff Brassow. Combine those three with the likes of Reggie Hanson (who later briefly played in the NBA), Pelphrey, Feldhaus, Farmer, etc. and that roster wasn’t quite as bereft of talent as the storytellers have retold it over the years.

That said. I obviously know they’re totally different situations, and the combination of the transfer portal and NIL money now makes it immensely easier to instantly reload. But it also shows that we can forgive a poor record if there are circumstances to fairly explain it. Pope will get his honeymoon period.

It’s been 2 freakin’ days! Where do you people come from????

Incredulous Excuse Me GIF

I was trying to find a way to message you direct but unable too... what is the process for applying to be a Mod? Would love to be considered.
Well, I didn't actually apply. I was approached by private message after being a regular poster here for about 10 years. I'll private message you. 😀

• Love
Reactions: DraftCat
OIP.S9eOw198VGnraewKon5qfwHaE8

FINAL NAIL IN CAL'S UK COFFIN
"Time for a new voice"
JVC

Look I defended Calipari A LOT over the years, but this narrative that Calipari was ran off is a pretty one sided view of the situation. Calipari could have helped himself A LOT if he wasn't such a dick to the fans literally every time he talked and if he didn't alienate everyone around him. He could have even done a lot to help himself after the season ended like going on KSR or any type of outreach to just level with people. He had no desire to do that.
We’re on the same page ole boy. Doesn’t change that the world moves faster now than it did in 09.

Reactions: KAB Cats
Incorrect. That was our first year of probation. We actually only had a two year tourney ban (90 and 91).

And it certainly wasn’t all “Kentucky” kids. That team’s best player, Derrick Miller, wasn’t one, nor were guys like Sean Woods (it’s starting point) and Jeff Brassow. Combine those three with the likes of Reggie Hanson (who later briefly played in the NBA), Pelphrey, Feldhaus, Farmer, etc. and that roster wasn’t quite as bereft of talent as the storytellers have retold it over the years.

That said. I obviously know they’re totally different situations, and the combination of the transfer portal and NIL money now makes it immensely easier to instantly reload. But it also shows that we can forgive a poor record if there are circumstances to fairly explain it. Pope will get his honeymoon period.

If we forgive a bad record for 1-2-3 years we are Indiana and our program is dead.

😅😅

I’ll take some KY boys like Cal’s first year versus Cal type players. At least for Year 1.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
CMP’s first season at UK will be WAY better than Hurley’s first at UCONN, and we have seen how that turned out.

With that said, I believe Hurley’s “dynasty” ends next season, and Pope begins his.

Am I imagining things or did I just watch his introductory press conference … yesterday

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Cal left at the worst possible time. Almost all recruits are decided and many transfers have already happened. Year 1 is going to be a slog but I expect year 2 and 3 to be fun. Go Big Blue.

Pitino went 14-14 his first year and was still swimming in goodwill.
Because we were on probation and no transfer portal. Nate Oats got all new players and went to final four last year. What options Pitino had and what is available to Pope is entirely different.

Cal sure picked a perfect to kill us for next year. He timed it just right so that we don't have the time to get good players out of the portal.
I disagree. They both got their jobs at almost the same time. Cal only has one guy on his team. He has the same issue as Pope. If he killed us he killed himself. Pope should have the advantage of UK and NIL. We cant be making excuses for this season already.

His press conference was 24 hours ago. What is he doing?????

Let me be the first to say “Faaaaarrrr Pope”

An embarrassing post.

I disagree. They both got their jobs at almost the same time. Cal only has one guy on his team. He has the same issue as Pope. If he killed us he killed himself. Pope should have the advantage of UK and NIL. We cant be making excuses for this season already.
He's got those freshmen that are loyal to him and I'm sure some of our players will go there like Big Z did.

We are all on the edge of our seats waiting for the first domino to fall, but it's still early yet. Cal has been at Arkansas for however long, and he just got his first commit today. Once we get our first, the pace will pick up.

CMP’s first season at UK will be WAY better than Hurley’s first at UCONN, and we have seen how that turned out.

With that said, I believe Hurley’s “dynasty” ends next season, and Pope begins his.
Great logic in the first paragraph, lol. Do better than Hurley’s year 1 rebuild = win multiple national championships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT