ADVERTISEMENT

The Jaylen Brown Adidas thing?

Mar 25, 2015
I don't really understand the whole going to an Adidas school thing with him? I get it he played for an Adidas AAU team and probably wore Adidas for his high school team, but Cal is not the type of coach that forces a kid to sign with Nike when they go to the league, yeah UK is a Nike school, but take John Wall for example, he signed with Reebok when he first entered the NBA, and now he has his own shoe with Adidas. Another example is Derrick Rose he signed a major shoe deal with Adidas and has his own signature shoe as well. So really 2 of Calipari's most successful players in the NBA have major shoe deals with... ADIDAS and are making BIG BUCKS! So the whole Jaylen Brown being an Adidas guy so he's going to an Adidas school thing doesn't really make sense to me...?

JMO, any insight or opinions?

It's not only Adidas. His family doesn't like UK and he, by all accounts, wants to be the man on his team, not a kid giving up minutes. Not a good shooter anyway. I'll take Ingram every time.

I rather have Ingram as well like you said need a jumper he can knock it down.

Originally posted by JClarkyUK:
I don't really understand the whole going to an Adidas school thing with him? I get it he played for an Adidas AAU team and probably wore Adidas for his high school team, but Cal is not the type of coach that forces a kid to sign with Nike when they go to the league, yeah UK is a Nike school, but take John Wall for example, he signed with Reebok when he first entered the NBA, and now he has his own shoe with Adidas. Another example is Derrick Rose he signed a major shoe deal with Adidas and has his own signature shoe as well. So really 2 of Calipari's most successful players in the NBA have major shoe deals with... ADIDAS and are making BIG BUCKS! So the whole Jaylen Brown being an Adidas guy so he's going to an Adidas school thing doesn't really make sense to me...?

JMO, any insight or opinions?
I have an opinion.. if a damn shoe brand is holding a kid back from picking the most historic basketball program and best coach currently in the college game with a great track record of sending kids to the pros, doing what is best FOR THE KID.. then, I don't want him... In my book, he isn't bright. Go play somewhere else and maybe.. JUST MAYBE if your team is good enough we will see you in the final four.... Because we are there most years..

You guys want Ingram, but is he bulit for the next level?

I'd take Jaylen; he can get to the foul line and he has no equal IMO at the 3....other teams will need their bigs to try and slow him down.

Ingram may be good, and he may be a better shooter, but one on one? Its Jaylen.

I'd rather see Jaylen with us vs UCLA and face Ingram vs Duke.

Originally posted by KMKAT:
I don't know. Let's ask Taysaun Prince or Reggie Miller.

You cant compare a FR Ingram to pro versions of Tayshaun and Miller and if your comparing Ingram to a FR Prince your going to be disappointed with Ingrams production then next year. He could score some points but D will be an issue for him.

I was comparing his BUILD to Prince in response to the post saying his BUILD wasn't fit for the NBA.

Originally posted by KMKAT:

I'd take Jaylen; he can get to the foul line and he has no equal IMO at the 3....other teams will need their bigs to try and slow him down.

Ingram may be good, and he may be a better shooter, but one on one? Its Jaylen.

I'd rather see Jaylen with us vs UCLA and face Ingram vs Duke.
Which would work in Brown's favor, if basketball was a one on one game.

Brown would by into the team concept. He's a slasher if there ever was one, but Adidas own a this kid I think.

I would not be surprised to eventually find out Adidas AAU cicuit either has some cash funneling in to some of these recruits or the promise of lucrative shoe contracts as soon as they leave college..."if" they'll attend where they want them to. Adidas just "all of a sudden" starting having tremendous power over the elite recruits starting around Shabazz, then Wiggins...etc.

What's also curious is how the recruits Adidas controls & funnels to KU & UCLA...etc, often have strange, mysterious recruitments where no one has a clue where they will go & when they will do it: Brown & Newman really fit the Wiggins recruitment.

If Brown & Newman both end up at KU it will reek Adidas. If those two & Diallo end up there it FO SURE reeks Adidas. Why would they want to play for a coach that DOES NOT get his elite recruits to play well in college? And KU also flames out early more often than not in the tourney.

I mean one could argue that Tubby Smith won a national champion & had more success in the NCAA,tourney than Self.

If a kid wanted to get paid while in college. (Not that is a bad thing, considering how much the coaches, schools and NCAA make), the pipeline is in place if you help a school that wears the same shoes that your AAU team wears. Shoe company $$ to AAU coach to family. Not saying this is or will happen. I know it is what we are accused of. But it is the kind of thing that makes you go hmmmmmm.

Give me Ingram anyway. Having a wing that can shoot and can slash to the basket helps the defense play more honest against you. Plus, he's a lanky kid, can get some steals, and can play make as well.

I am going to jump in on the bash Brown thread, while I don't have anything in particular against him but the process of AAU, shoe compaines, AAU coaches and what they have done to basketball in the state of Georgia. If anyone really cared to check close probably not many of the elite kids would even be amatures by rule. Kids changing HS as often as they change shirts so they can be on a state championship team, only 2-3 teams have a chance to win a championship in Georgia today. But that's a different subject. Brown has been recruited for quite a while, from which HS to attend, which shoe to wear and now to which college to attend, its pretty safe to say he feels entitled. I have no clue where he goes to school, but his "people" feel he is ready now for the pros, so I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't head to Europe, it might shock me more if he went to college for a year, I guarantee you 1 year is all that is in the plan. IF he attends college for a year, I am not going to say he was bought with $$ because that won't be the case, but bought with guaranteed minutes, Cal wont' do that. Who will I don't know, if by some screwed up chance he chose UGA he would start and most likely want breathers because quite honestly we dont' have much talent, but we aren't being considered. But roster and quaranteed minutes are very important and alone with the shoes will be the deciding factor. He has zero intentions of coming off the bench which hurts UK more than anyone I would think.

Originally posted by JasonSpear:

Originally posted by Smashcat:
Not a good shooter anyway. I'll take Ingram every time.
Honestly, gun to my head, I think I'd rather have Ingram also. You can't over value a guy that can knock down a shot when the offense breaks down. Shooters are a premium. Making jumpers is the great equalizer in basketball... always has been.
and particularly so given that the NCAA has allowed the product to devolve into something that more closely resembles rugby than basketball.

guys like Rick Pitino and Bobby Huggins would be in serious trouble if the NCAA moved toward the NBA in terms of rules and officiating.

The shoe loyalty thing clearly varies greatly from player to player. With some guys, it's no factor at all. With some guys, it's a dealbreaker. It all depends on who is influencing the recruits. If the AAU people are driving the recruitment, and the AAU people are on the payroll of a shoe company, then yeah, it's a major factor.

Pitino took some shots at Nike, but it seems like Adidas is more likely to directly influence kids. Which makes some sense, because Nike is the 800 pound gorilla. They have more teams, and more players, and nothing any individual kid does is going to cause them much consternation. Adidas is more like a 400 pound gorilla, a little less sure of themselves, aggressively defending their territory. But that might just be a perception based on Shabazz Muhammed, Jaylen Brown, and a few others (Kevon Looney would be another good example- UK didn't even try with him, at all, and though he flirted with Duke, he ended up the next in a line of kids traveling across the country to go to UCLA). We notice the Adidas kids, but not the Nike ones.

This post was edited on 4/19 12:37 AM by mj2k10

Grumpy, by all accounts, Jaylen is a fine young man. I don't think the entitled label fits him at all. Whoever lands him will get a true team player with fantastic talent. I think he ends up at either UCLA or Michigan, personally.

The argument for Ingram is that he is a better team fit, since if we get Newman we are already gonna have several people who need the ball in their hands to be effective and he and Newman probably couldn't coexist, because they both have the alpha dog mentality. Brown is the better player right now, and he will be more ready to instantly contribute because of how physically mature he is. He's what we've been missing the last few years. A big strong, versatile wing. Ingram will have a bigger adjustment because of how thin he is.

You got to wonder that in today's "me-first" society, if the whole platoon thing could have a negative effect on recruiting. I will guarantee that's the opposing coach's current go to pitch..."Ky has or will have so much talent that Cal will have to play you limited minutes" With that being said....Cal is the best of the best and is ALWAYS a step ahead of all of them.

This post was edited on 4/19 1:20 AM by js40484

GD, I don't mean he is a criminal, but I think any kid who thinks is necessary for him to change HS like he does socks in order to play with "better" players has a feeling of entitlement. Not just BB players, but the same for FB too, you know the Bufords, Wheelers and McCheaens have a recruiting budget higher than small colleges, Buford has facilities on par with SEC teams.

Originally posted by GermantownDawg:
Grumpy, by all accounts, Jaylen is a fine young man. I don't think the entitled label fits him at all. Whoever lands him will get a true team player with fantastic talent. I think he ends up at either UCLA or Michigan, personally.
Dawg......First off, I want to say that I've always enjoyed your post. Very insightful and passionate for your team all while being respectful to our team and our fans. (And we both know how hard that can be sometimes on this board. Lol) You bring intelligent post to our board and I for one appreciate that because there are very few from other fan bases that are here for anything but trouble.

So, on to my reason for this post, just have a quick question and I thought since you live down near Brown that you may have some valuable insight that others up here would not. You said you think he ends up at UCLA or Michigan. Do you think that is solely because of the Adidas connection with him? We've all heard about him and Adidss (as with this thread) but you here a lot about kids connections with shoe companies in recruiting with some playing out but most do not. Or at least most do not appear to be the sole reason that the player picks that school. It really seems like an easy choice for Brown and UK with everything available to him at UK this year but yet it doesn't seem to matter. If there were ever a year when players should be jumping at UK it would be this year but its just not happening. I know a lot of variables play into a make up of a class but with Brown, does Adidas really have that much of a grip on him that he will not attend a non Adidas school?If so, I wish we or he would just move on and be honest and allow each parties to move forward. Maybe they have though too, who knows. Interested in your thoughts! Thanks!

With how glowingly Brown talked about UK a few weeks back its clearly out of his hands with A: the shoe BS and B: that his family is turned off. And I noticed that his high school team was Nike? Guess not the same as the AAU team being outfitted by addidas.

Those who say they would rather have Ingram probably don't think we are getting Brown, so it's the typical bashing of kids who pick another school. I've seen Jaylen live 5 games this year and he is my #1 or #2 senior. Yes he can shoot. Yes he can and does pass. Yes he has a high motor. Yes he is better than Ingram.

Good point Philly it is somewhat human nature to think and act that way.It makes you feel better about being shunned.

When Oregon becomes an Under Armour school, you know anything's possible.

Yet Brown only has 3 Adidas schools on his list of 8.

Simmer down fellas. Mr. Wesley has certainly had a "role" in sending recruits to Nike schools. I didn't say "pay" or "buy" any one, but MANY schools have to play through some of these handlers.

This post was edited on 4/19 4:53 PM by kywildcats4life

I would be ecstatic about either one - both are ballplayers and fit a huge need for us.

Go get Diallo after Cal's visit Monday..........just let the UNC drama go on until Cal can reel Jaylen in.

Jaylen and Diallo both probably start Day 1.

Brown's is a really strange recruitment. Diallo and Ingram having in-home visits as they work toward a decision, but absolute silence from the Brown camp. No news about Self, Alford, Roy, etc. making last pitches, etc. He doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar right now.

Originally posted by jameslee32:
When Oregon becomes an Under Armour school, you know anything's possible.

Yet Brown only has 3 Adidas schools on his list of 8.
?

Is that supposed to be a "you'll know anything is possible"?

Or did I miss something?

Originally posted by Cat Ballou:
Brown's is a really strange recruitment. Diallo and Ingram having in-home visits as they work toward a decision, but absolute silence from the Brown camp. No news about Self, Alford, Roy, etc. making last pitches, etc. He doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar right now.
I still think at least one of these remaining guys go overseas.

Brown or Newman would be my picks, and in that order.

Re: The Jaylen Brown Adidas thing? Reply
4/19 7:01 PM | IP: Logged

My thoughts on this as well. Who is visiting him? Has Cal even been in contact?

ADVERTISEMENT