ADVERTISEMENT

Tracy McGrady on NIL: "I watch my Kentucky Wildcats faithfully. I would have taken that [NIL] and gone to Kentucky for sure."

McGrady and Pitino would definitely equal a championship. You could surround McGrady with 12 bums and Pitino leads that team to a NC. That was prime Pitino during that time.
Add McGrady to that '98 team, with Mouton as well, and UK might have gone undefeated.

Would have had a sophomore Mouton in '99, with incoming stud Yarbrough. Mouton was a 37% three point shooter at Tulane (on over 7 attempts per game), and would have alleviated that horrific perimeter shooting that the 1999 team exhibited.

Would have been fascinating. Adidas screwed it all up.

I’d take T-Mac in a heart beat. I’m glad we missed on Green. Head case and way overhyped. Fine role player but that’s all he is. But when you hear people talk about the Golden State runs they talk like if he wasn’t there they wouldn’t have won it all which I believe they still would have.
I'd totally take Green in the UK arsenal. We would have loved that dude if he went to Kentucky.

This is freakin awesome. I already love T-Mac and this makes me love Draymond. The guy is a jerk on the court but he’s obviously intelligent and just a happy, fun personality. He’s just super competitive to a fault. I can see why his teammates love him.

I guess what I really mean is… everyone has their faults. Some people are choirboys but are dull AF to be around. So I’m willing to look past lapses in judgment and maturity when someone is genuinely a REAL person and not a robot.

Loved T-MAC.

That story from Draymond about GameDay at Rupp reminded me how rowdy that place used to get for it. Was insane. I don't think it's anything close now.

You might have loved him. But I wouldn’t. Just because Rondo went here doesn’t mean I love what he’s doing with firearms.
He had a gun. I'm against most people owning guns, but with today's society, especially in Kentucky where you don't even have to have a license to carry a concealed weapon, I think the misdemeanor charge that Rondo got in Indiana will go away. If they hadn't smelled weed, which is legal most places, they wouldn't have found it. It is not like he pulled it on someone.

I’d take T-Mac in a heart beat. I’m glad we missed on Green. Head case and way overhyped. Fine role player but that’s all he is. But when you hear people talk about the Golden State runs they talk like if he wasn’t there they wouldn’t have won it all which I believe they still would have.
I’m so glad we missed on him. I’d hate to have that fool represent us. Acting like a DA all the time in the league.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Green wouldn't have been over hyped on a Tubby Smith roster.
He would have been Randle.
Just think how much better Draymond was than Sheray, Perry, Harris or AJ Stewart.

He had a gun. I'm against most people owning guns, but with today's society, especially in Kentucky where you don't even have to have a license to carry a concealed weapon, I think the misdemeanor charge that Rondo got in Indiana will go away. If they hadn't smelled weed, which is legal most places, they wouldn't have found it. It is not like he pulled it on someone.
I’m pro second amendment but he had additional legal barriers preventing him from legally obtaining a gun. That’s what I’m against. He had an illegally obtained firearm and was not a legal gun owner. He gave up the right to bear arms when he threatened his ex wife/gf with one (at least that is my understanding of the situation).

Reactions: KFuqua and Zissou87
I’m pro second amendment but he had additional legal barriers preventing him from legally obtaining a gun. That’s what I’m against. He had an illegally obtained firearm and was not a legal gun owner. He gave up the right to bear arms when he threatened his ex wife/gf with one (at least that is my understanding of the situation).
Again that would not be a right but a privilege. Maybe temporarily but he should 100% get it back.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Add McGrady to that '98 team, with Mouton as well, and UK might have gone undefeated.

Would have had a sophomore Mouton in '99, with incoming stud Yarbrough. Mouton was a 37% three point shooter at Tulane (on over 7 attempts per game), and would have alleviated that horrific perimeter shooting that the 1999 team exhibited.

Would have been fascinating. Adidas screwed it all up.
That was a terrible shooting team. Prince wasn’t ready, I think he weighed 180 that year. At one point started a backcourt of Turner/Evans and a frontcourt of Padgett/Bradley/Magliore. Cal would have loved that super-sized team!

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Not Ray Allen.
He visited for BBM and didn't like it.
Stors just fit his low key personality better.
Pitino recruited Allen, Keith Booth and Charles O'Bannon hard
It's like he wanted to recruit over Rhodes earlier than he got the chance to.
We could have landed Allen, but he felt slighted by Pitino. You're right about his personality, but the bigger issue was how he felt treated while on his trip to Lexington.

The biggest "ones who got away" during that era were T-Mac, Iverson, Dirk, and Jermaine O'Neal. Give me a OAD rule, some NIL, and keep Iverson away from that bowling alley, and we probably win it all in '95 and possibly '99 as well.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
That was a terrible shooting team. Prince wasn’t ready, I think he weighed 180 that year. At one point started a backcourt of Turner/Evans and a frontcourt of Padgett/Bradley/Magliore. Cal would have loved that super-sized team!
Mouton would have helped. I also think had Pitino stayed, he would have added one more shooter for that 1999 team. We likely wouldn't have landed Allison, but Pitino likely replaced him with a kid who could knock down the threes.

That would have given UK Byron Mouton and another transfer/freshman who could shoot. That's all the 1999 team needed. They had tons of interior guys in Michael Bradley, Padgett, and Magloire. They had great perimeter defenders in Heshimu Evans and Wayne Turner. They would have had a complimentary freshman in Vincent Yarbrough, and they would have had a super sophomore in Byron Mouton.

Guys we came within an inch of landing:

Tracy McGrady - Adidas killed us

Larry Bird - no one saw his greatness coming

Ralph Sampson - he wanted UK

Allen Iverson - bowling alley brawl kept him from UK

Ray Allen - felt slighted on the infamous trip to Lexington

Jermaine O'Neal - no one and done

Draymond Green - committed to UK, but went to MSU after Tubby left

Dirk Nowitzki - loved UK but went pro instead

Shawn Kemp - Sutton's son was dumb enough to make an issue about the missing jewelry

Trae Young - UK didn't want to wait on him and took Quade Green instead

30-4 and the #1 overall seed losing in overtime to the Fab Five in the Final Four looks pretty respectable when you consider UK was on probation two years earlier.

Michigan had a couple of dudes as well.
Really...compare Chris Weber's supporting cast to Mash's. And it took a couple of phantom calls to foul out Mash and an injury to our 2nd best player that day for them to eek out the win. Pitino was the best in the game at the time, w/ only K being in his stratosphere. He formed '93 into a tournament juggernaut...when's the last time a tournament team absolutely destroyed both their sweet sixteen and elite eight opponent to the point wehre they were basically beaten by the first tv timeout? Bad calls and bad luck kept that team from cutting the nets and being recognized as one of the most dominant champions ever

Again that would not be a right but a privilege. Maybe temporarily but he should 100% get it back.
I dont know the specifics of the Indiana law, but I believe he just lost the gun while the protective order is in place. I would assume when that gets removed he can get his guns back, but now that he has a gun charge I dont know what will happen.

But the stats on guns and domestic violence aren't pretty. It's probably one of the more black and white gun safety measures we can take.

We could have landed Allen, but he felt slighted by Pitino. You're right about his personality, but the bigger issue was how he felt treated while on his trip to Lexington.

The biggest "ones who got away" during that era were T-Mac, Iverson, Dirk, and Jermaine O'Neal. Give me a OAD rule, some NIL, and keep Iverson away from that bowling alley, and we probably win it all in '95 and possibly '99 as well.
I remember the Jason Collier(RIP) recruitment went kinda the same way.
Family came on a visit and Pitino snubbed the Mom and Dad.
Collier committed to IU and short time later.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Really...compare Chris Weber's supporting cast to Mash's. And it took a couple of phantom calls to foul out Mash and an injury to our 2nd best player that day for them to eke out the win. Pitino was the best in the game at the time, w/ only K being in his stratosphere. He formed '93 into a tournament juggernaut...when's the last time a tournament team absolutely destroyed both their sweet sixteen and elite eight opponent to the point wehre they were basically beaten by the first tv timeout? Bad calls and bad luck kept that team from cutting the nets and being recognized as one of the most dominant champions ever
Just think of how flashy and fast the Fab 5 played. They always ran with everyone. Not that 93 UK team, though. They were frightened to run with them. They slowed that game down to a crawl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT