ADVERTISEMENT

The foul call

Then call EVERY foul. They don't do that and never will. I could cite a thousand examples from over the years in which a foul was a foul in one game and not another or even within a particular game.
I don't agree with your point of view about not calling the foul in that situation, but I do agree that consistency in calling fouls is a problem. But refs shouldn't decide a game by ignoring an obvious foul toward the end of a game. All calls are important, but you have to get those right in a close game at the end.

No, each team put themselves in the position to be vulnerable at the end of the game. A bad pass, a bad shot, a foul, a mishandled play, a blocked shot ends it. Want to win? Don't be in that situation.
Absolutely. You should always be up by 50 points on an evenly matched opponent in the Final Four. Take out all my of the variables like that!

• Haha
Reactions: Ugoff
You and I both know that every foul will never be called in any game on any team, I mean like never. Some fouls are more egregious than others when an advantage is gained, some happen in a crowd that are harder to see, some (like this one) happen in a wide open space. This was a textbook moving screen that would get called at any point in the game. Not a touch foul to the shooting hand, not a 50/50 block/charge call, not a judgement call of any kind but rather a correctly called foul. Some fouls get missed, some don’t, this one didn’t, end of story and game.

I think that is the key point of disagreement between us. I watched it over and over on replay and I don't think the UConn player committed an obvious foul as much as the reaction of the Iowa player made it look worse than it was. Even if we disagree on this particular call, I am sure we both agree that players in other cases are overacting too much of the time trying to sell the call. One of the infamous Higgins' calls is the classic example of that.

100% a foul. I don't even see how it's up for debate.

The whole "you can't call that in that moment" is something I struggle with. If it's agreed/understood we can't call a moving screen in the final minute of a close/important game--then the offense just knows to start setting moving screens in crunch time.

The moving screen MATTERED. Bueckers was going to get a really good look to win the game. While it sucks for UCONN to lose in that matter--they committed the violation. Not the refs. And if the ref doesn't call it--UCONN gets a good look to win the game and go to the national championship. Do we want games to end on moving picks and the defense just has to eat it? I don't think so.

The previous possession, the same player did the exact same thing and bulldozed an Iowa player with no call from the refs. I'm certain Iowa's staff pointed it out to the refs, so they would have been watching for it the next time down court. The video someone linked shows it was 100% the right call.

Yes it was a foul. But the point is, be consistent. UCONN was called for the foul at a very critical part of the game. They let several plays just like the one called, go. Iowa got by with several grab, holds, and even moving screens. If you are going to let them slide, do not make that call at the most critical point of the game, let the teams decide the game. I would not have had a issue with the call IF they had been consistent and called them all night, not just to give Iowa the ball back and took away and chance they would lose. I agree with Geno, you can call that foul EVERY time down the court, do not pick the most critical time of the game and decide to call it. The refs wanted Iowa to win, call it the Caitlyn Clark effect.

It was an awful call that the ref wanted to make.
The Iowa player flopped, a referee can’t call a foul on a flop with 3.9 sec left with a chance to win to move on to the title game.

• Haha
Reactions: chiefcat420
The Iowa player flopped, a referee can’t call a foul on a flop with 3.9 sec left with a chance to win to move on to the title game.
We watched a different game. Edwards was never set. She moved up to the point contact was made.

Iowa player embellished. But Edwards had momentum when contact was made.

Ridiculous take from someone looking to lay blame on the officials or push a conspiracy theory. if you can't watch that video and admit it was a foul, you're fos.

"All of America"?

I thought it was probably a foul, but not a clear cut, definite one.
The you didn’t see the right replay. Most obvious moving screen ever.

The great thing about the call was all the delicious ESPN tears especially SVP. All the announcers and Bristol folks were pulling for UConn.

Go back and watch Geno’s reaction to the call. He said nothing to the refs. He turned away and bent over. He knew it was the right call.

UCONN had a 12 point lead at one point and let that get away. Catlin wasn't going to be held to just 6 points all game long.

UCONN had a chance and let it get away.

All of American sports is in an uproar about the moving screen being the wrong call. What am I missing? That was definitely a moving screen and if not called it is screwing over Iowa. That's what people are forgetting here. "You can't make that call" ..... Why not? If you don't blow the whistle the other team gained an advantage.
A foul is a foul at any point of the game
I didn't see a thread so sorry if someone else posted
It was definitely a moving screen it you view it from another angle. Hate that it happened but a good call.

It was a foul.

The problem is that it’s only called about 10% of the time. Just a weird time to call it, and it wasn’t egregious IMO

I thought it was a foul. I was pulling for Iowa so I was okay with it. On the other hand if Kentucky had received that call and it cost a FF game, I'd be thinking we'd been jobbed. Easy to see both sides.
Most of the time in those situations the referees don't make that call. They try to let the players decide it.
This is such a weak take. The players did decide it. The girl committed an obvious moving screen. To not call it would be the refs deciding it.

The you didn’t see the right replay. Most obvious moving screen ever.

The great thing about the call was all the delicious ESPN tears especially SVP. All the announcers and Bristol folks were pulling for UConn.

Go back and watch Geno’s reaction to the call. He said nothing to the refs. He turned away and bent over. He knew it was the right call.
ESPN is very happy that Iowa won.

Yes it was a foul. But the point is, be consistent. UCONN was called for the foul at a very critical part of the game. They let several plays just like the one called, go. Iowa got by with several grab, holds, and even moving screens. If you are going to let them slide, do not make that call at the most critical point of the game, let the teams decide the game. I would not have had a issue with the call IF they had been consistent and called them all night, not just to give Iowa the ball back and took away and chance they would lose. I agree with Geno, you can call that foul EVERY time down the court, do not pick the most critical time of the game and decide to call it. The refs wanted Iowa to win, call it the Caitlyn Clark effect.
We all yearn for consistency but the fact is that a ref won't see every call. It's why basketball is inherently flawed. But that was about as bad as it gets as far as a moving screen. It didn't look that bad live but obviously on replay, and the ref had the perfect angle at it.

That’s a different issue all together. Because a call is missed yesterday doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be called today. That particular play was a foul. We don’t have a different standard because it’s a final four game.

I just don’t think it’s as complicated an issue as some are making it. Now if they’re allowing that screen all game then I’d say you have to let it go, but I missed most of it.

It’s an argument in favor of being entertained vs. being an official game with official rules. We’re already going too far down this road.
That was at least the 4th moving screen that had been called on UCONN.

And there should have/could have been several more.

We get called for more moving screens (UK men) than most any other team I have watched play this year.
How about this? Set a legal screen. You can't be moving your feet, leaning your body, and throwing out a leg or a shoulder as in this case and not commit a foul according to the rules.

There is no such thing as a " ghost screen". That is just a Jimmy Dykes made up term for a moving screen.

Funny how no one saw the foul on Clark's missed 3 pointer just a few seconds earlier where she landed on the UConn defender who moved up under her when she jumped to shoot, not allowing her a place to land safely.

That foul has been called all year. But not on that play in the last minute. Why not??

Reactions: CrimsonCats
"All of America"?

I thought it was probably a foul, but not a clear cut, definite one.
I'm glad if was called because the play before the uconn girl was not called for Intentionally pushing the Iowa player to the floor at half court. With that said, it dosent matter, SC is/was going to destroy either one of those teams.

ESPN is very happy that Iowa won.
Don't know what ESPN you are watching. The crying from every ESPN commentator has been non-stop since last night.

All they can talk about is the "bad call" and refs " not letting the players decide the outcome of the game. "

It was clearly a foul. I mean it couldn’t have been more blatant. That screen pushed Marshall all the way out and made Iowa’s big have to step out to guard Paige and it would’ve left Edwards wide open.

It was a dumb foul on Edwards. Glad they called it because it would’ve been a crap way to lose with UConn only scoring cause of that.

Iowa was up nine with two and a half to go. UConn shouldn’t have even had a chance to begin with but the Iowa big (despite a good offensive game) about cost them with her turnovers and not guarding an open three.

I think that is the key point of disagreement between us. I watched it over and over on replay and I don't think the UConn player committed an obvious foul as much as the reaction of the Iowa player made it look worse than it was. Even if we disagree on this particular call, I am sure we both agree that players in other cases are overacting too much of the time trying to sell the call. One of the infamous Higgins' calls is the classic example of that.
The slow motion replay is available on this thread and the UConn player is still moving when she makes contact with the Iowa player. I don’t think the Iowa players reaction is as bad as you are making it to be. I mean if you blindly run into something it is going to be pretty hard not to flail in some capacity. She didn’t even fall down and her reaction isn’t any different had she ran into a legal screen.

Those who don’t like Clark wouldn’t have had any issue if it was against Iowa in that moment.

they sure didn’t rig it for Iowa last year given the officiating they received against LSU. A game called so poorly that the NCAA had to acknowledge it with a statement.
Was just going to say this. Took Clark out of the game with some awful calls.

Just as an aside, a play just one or two earlier should have been a foul on U. Conn. They knocked Iowa player down on the floor under the basket, kick out to a baseline 3 which they then hit. Shot should have never taken place and foul called before the kick out had occurred. No call, so there you go things even out.

We watched a different game. Edwards was never set. She moved up to the point contact was made.

Iowa player embellished. But Edwards had momentum when contact was made.
There was minimum contact, if a player is truly fouled there is no reason to flop. The purpose of flopping is to sell a non foul as a foul to a referee. It’s supposed to be called a technical foul on the flopper by rule.
There is no way in hell a ref calls a technical in that stage of a national semifinal game, but you think a moving screen with minimal contact where the player flopped is the right call?

There is no chance in hades that it’s called if the situations were reversed and Clark has an opportunity to take the winning shot, absolutely none.

• Haha
Ridiculous take from someone looking to lay blame on the officials or push a conspiracy theory. if you can't watch that video and admit it was a foul, you're fos.
I don’t care who wins, that’s the second women’s game I’ve ever watched start to finish, the other being the Iowa LSU game.

It was a bad call at the critical moment of the game that prevented UCONN from even having an attempt at hitting a winning shot.

Reactions: ruppcat
There was minimum contact, if a player is truly fouled there is no reason to flop. The purpose of flopping is to sell a non foul as a foul to a referee. It’s supposed to be called a technical foul on the flopper by rule.
There is no way in hell a ref calls a technical in that stage of a national semifinal game, but you think a moving screen with minimal contact where the player flopped is the right call?

There is no chance in hades that it’s called if the situations were reversed and Clark has an opportunity to take the winning shot, absolutely none.
Gabby Marshall is like 120 pounds. You think she thought that would be called?

Reactions: ruppcat

You don’t seem to know what you want to argue.

“It wasn’t a foul”

“Well, they wouldn’t have called it on Clark.”

Why would you need to point out it wouldn’t have been called on Clark—unless you thought it was a foul,

I certainly hope you are not an official and only feel this way because you lost a bet on UConn or some other reason you didn't want Iowa to win.

If you can watch that screen in slow motion and not see a clear foul that HAD to be called in that moment.....wow.

You don’t seem to know what you want to argue.

“It wasn’t a foul”

“Well, they wouldn’t have called it on Clark.”

Why would you need to point out it wouldn’t have been called on Clark—unless you thought it was a foul,
I’m saying it was a bad call that wouldn’t have been called if Iowa had the ball with a chance for Clark to make a winning shot.

pretty simple

• Haha

Not sure there was angle that ever confirmed a flop. The girl was knocked laterally off her line 3 feet with the official right there on the sideline side watching the play.

Reactions: cathouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT