ADVERTISEMENT

The five greatest men's basketball players in NCAA history

Who are your picks for the five greatest college basketball players?

• Lew Alcindor

Votes: 220 84.6%
  • Larry Bird

Votes: 115 44.2%
  • Pete Maravich

Votes: 192 73.8%
  • Oscar Robertson

Votes: 172 66.2%
  • Bill Russell

Votes: 104 40.0%
  • Ralph Sampson

Votes: 36 13.8%
  • David Thompson

Votes: 46 17.7%
  • Bill Walton

Votes: 145 55.8%
  • Jerry West

Votes: 76 29.2%
  • Other

Votes: 77 29.6%

• Total voters

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
Let's discuss.

It was difficult narrowing the poll down to ten (nine plus "other") options. XD

Reactions: ipatent
Talent wise, I would never argue this but in terms of most successful college career, Christian Laettner is easily top 10. I’d argue top five.

Made the Final Four all four years.
Three championship games
Won two national championships
Final Four MOP
National Player of the Year
And then was the one college player to get to be on the Dream Team

But I think you did a good job with the other options- Alcindor, Big O and then although Pete never won anything cause his teams were terrible, he put up numbers that will never be broken. Thompson is a great choice as well. Russell too .

That’s tough to narrow down. Elvin Hayes & Austin Carr deserve mentions as well, though. Hayes AVERAGED 31 pts & 17 rebounds for his CAREER & ended UCLA’s 47 game winning streak in 1968. Carr averaged 35 for his career & 38 in each of his final 2 seasons. It would be tough to take anybody off your list but these two guys are worthy of being in the discussion.

Talent wise, I would never argue this but in terms of most successful college career, Christian Laettner is easily top 10. I’d argue top five.

Made the Final Four all four years.
Three championship games
Won two national championships
Final Four MOP
National Player of the Year
And then was the one college player to get to be on the Dream Team

But I think you did a good job with the other options- Alcindor, Big O and then although Pete never won anything cause his teams were terrible, he put up numbers that will never be broken. Thompson is a great choice as well. Russell too .

So your contributions to this board now range from creepy Jay Wright shrine-building all the way to repping Christian Laettner.

Is there a contest for Most Hated Poster I don’t know about?

Last edited:
Are we talking strictly based on accomplishments? Or just actual talent as a basketball player? If the later, I might have to put AD in consideration.

I figured I'd leave that criteria up to the voters. I tried to include players that I thought were the best mix of both. Ideally, the poll would be the top ten out of about 20, maybe 25, options. XD

So your contributions to this board now range from creepy Jay Wright shrine-building all the way to repping Christian Laettner.

Is there a contest for Most Hated Poster I don’t know about?

Oh, so you’re upset that I can provide reasoning behind my posts as opposed to your irrational posts based on nothing but emotion?

Your statement of “creepy shrine to Wright” is so moronic considering I disagreed with your idiotic post of discrediting Nova by saying he just “lucked” into these titles.

I don’t care if you like me but you’re a moron. Not liking Laettner doesn’t change his success and that was the topic, you clown. Take your blinders off and try to actually have a conversation where you can set aside your blind homerism.

If I could've made the poll larger I would've put Laettner, Carr, Hayes, and Magic on there.

Oh, don’t let Derek McPwn see that you were old enough to watch basketball in the 90s and know of Laettner’s accomplishments. He thinks giving credit to anyone who isn’t a Kentucky player is “terrible.”

Also David Thompson is undoubtedly top 5 and it's criminal that more people don't recognize it and now I really am leaving.

And now my goal has switched to getting you to post back in here.

Why is it silly to put Pistol Pete before Walton in YOUR opinion? I don't disagree. Just curious what knowledge you'd like to shed on those who voted in opposition to you.

For the record, I didn't vote.

Oh, so you’re upset that I can provide reasoning behind my posts as opposed to your irrational posts based on nothing but emotion?

Your statement of “creepy shrine to Wright” is so moronic considering I disagreed with your idiotic post of discrediting Nova by saying he just “lucked” into these titles.

I don’t care if you like me but you’re a moron. Not liking Laettner doesn’t change his success and that was the topic, you clown. Take your blinders off and try to actually have a conversation where you can set aside your blind homerism.

[laughing]

u mad

Don't know the other 4 but Alcindor easily tops the list for me

3x NCAA champion
3x First Team All American
3x MOP of Tournament
3x NPOY (Naismith Trophy 1969, USBWA POY 1967, 68)

Plus he still holds 8 school records

Reactions: Dirk2Bowie
And now my goal has switched to getting you to post back in here.

Why is it silly to put Pistol Pete before Walton in YOUR opinion? I don't disagree. Just curious what knowledge you'd like to shed on those who voted in opposition to you.

For the record, I didn't vote.

Just for you, Catz. Just for you.

Walton averaged 22 and 16 on 65% shooting, was 3x POY, won two titles, and only lost the third to David Thompson who I believe is also top five.

He averaged like 6 assists per game the one year the stat was kept, and based on his play and NBA stats, he'd have likely averaged around 3 blocks per game in college too. He's the second best college player ever, behind Alcindor.

I think any of the guys in the top 10-15 could have posted Maravich-like numbers if they had been made into the sideshow he was. If Wooden's only concern had been to make his main guy the star, Alcindor and Walton could have had 50 a night. Same with Thompson. Same with Oscar.

I think those guys are more talented, greater players, won and accomplished way more, and still posted historically good stats. If you don't think Carmelo Anthony is better than LeBron James, you can't think Pete Maravich is better than any of the guys on this list.

Oh, don’t let Derek McPwn see that you were old enough to watch basketball in the 90s and know of Laettner’s accomplishments. He thinks giving credit to anyone who isn’t a Kentucky player is “terrible.”

flat,800x800,075,t.u1.jpg

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Lol. You’re the one who responded to me because you couldn’t handle the opinion and it upset you.
I think if your post would have been more towards the middle it wouldnt have triggered anyone lol starting a thread of the best players ever by mentioning Laettner just puts a sour taste on the thread

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Just for you, Catz. Just for you.

Walton averaged 22 and 16 on 65% shooting, was 3x POY, won two titles, and only lost the third to David Thompson who I believe is also top five.

He averaged like 6 assists per game the one year the stat was kept, and based on his play and NBA stats, he'd have likely averaged around 3 blocks per game in college too. He's the second best college player ever, behind Alcindor.

I think any of the guys in the top 10-15 could have posted Maravich-like numbers if they had been made into the sideshow he was. If Wooden's only concern had been to make his main guy the star, Alcindor and Walton could have had 50 a night. Same with Thompson. Same with Oscar.

I think those guys are more talented, greater players, won and accomplished way more, and still posted historically good stats. If you don't think Carmelo Anthony is better than LeBron James, you can't think Pete Maravich is better than any of the guys on this list.

That is your opinion and I respect it just like you should respect anyone who thinks Maravich is better. Why do people think our opinions have to be the same and if they differ the other person is an idiot? You seem to always degrade anyone whose opinion differs from yours.

Reactions: Mr_GG
we know those uclans were are getting paid by gilbert to enable woodencheater to abuse the rules and regulations for college athletics.

rr

Laettner’s college career is surpassed by perhaps only Alcindor.

Actually, Ralph Beard's is 2nd to Alcindor.

3 x consensus 1st team AA
3 times played on a National Tournament Winner (2 NCAA titles, 1 NIT Title)
4 times played in a national Final 4 (2 NCAA, 2 NIT)
4 times played in a national tournament championship game (1946 NIT, 1947 NIT, 1948 NCAA, 1949 NCAA)

Reactions: ShoesSwayedBlue
Not top 5 but I started watching basketball closely when Tyler Hansbrough was on the scene and he was pretty darn good. I remember my dad being pissed about him and Brandon Wright going there instead of to us. Started following more closely after Wright. One of the more dominant players ive seen in my time but far from a Walton or whatever

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT