ADVERTISEMENT

The five greatest men's basketball players in NCAA history

Who are your picks for the five greatest college basketball players?

• Lew Alcindor

Votes: 220 84.6%
  • Larry Bird

Votes: 115 44.2%
  • Pete Maravich

Votes: 192 73.8%
  • Oscar Robertson

Votes: 172 66.2%
  • Bill Russell

Votes: 104 40.0%
  • Ralph Sampson

Votes: 36 13.8%
  • David Thompson

Votes: 46 17.7%
  • Bill Walton

Votes: 145 55.8%
  • Jerry West

Votes: 76 29.2%
  • Other

Votes: 77 29.6%

• Total voters
Based on college games only--
Alcindor is the BEST!!--3 titles--sam gilbert gets part credit
Russell--definite --2 titles
Robertson---terrific in all aspects of b'ball---just never got a title
Lucas---3 title games, 1 title
Walton---his record speaks for itself---sam gilbert gets part credit

Amazing how the game has changed---4 players were centers--Robertson did everything. Now, big centers just don't get to exceed offensively. A Davis controlled the game defensively.

rr

Might have already been mentioned, but besides the obvious like Alcindor...Christian Laettner and Danny Manning have to be up near the top given their dominance over four years in college.

More people voted for Pete Maravich than Bill Walton and that's why I won't be posting in this thread beyond this. [laughing]

Walton was a big man who played under the basket on a team with other good players around him. He was a great college player. You posted his stats and they were great.

Maravich was the only good player on his team and played outside. He drew double and triple teams. He averaged 44.2 for four years and took the majority of his shots beyond the three point line, which of course did not exist when he played. He shot 42.8 % from the floor and 77% from the free throw line. Assists were not kept when he played but he a was pinpoint passer. I did not see Walton play much, but Pete was in the SEC and many of his games were on TV and many more on radio. In my opinion, he was the best shooter in college basketball then and now.

Walton was a big man who played under the basket on a team with other good players around him. He was a great college player. You posted his stats and they were great.

Maravich was the only good player on his team and played outside. He drew double and triple teams. He averaged 44.2 for four years and took the majority of his shots beyond the three point line, which of course did not exist when he played. He shot 42.8 % from the floor and 77% from the free throw line. Assists were not kept when he played but he a was pinpoint passer. I did not see Walton play much, but Pete was in the SEC and many of his games were on TV and many more on radio. In my opinion, he was the best shooter in college basketball then and now.
Really?

Explain how he shot below 80% on FT's, then. Was he being triple-teamed on the FT line?

Maravich was a decent shooter who combined decent size with unreal ballhandling ability (along with being coached by his father in a total gimmick style) to get shots off at a rate that no other player in basketball history could really approach.

All of which was kind of cool, and absolutely blew the minds of a segment of middle-class white viewers in the late 60's and early 70's. But it had very little to do with winning basketball games.

Bill Walton, OTOH, played for undefeated teams for 4+ consecutive seasons (the number I remember is 128- that's how many games in a row his teams won)- from some point his JR year of HS until his SR year at UCLA. Then he won an NBA title in his 3rd season in the NBA.

I'm sure if you swapped Maravich for Walton, Maravich would have seen the same results [roll].

Last edited:
Really?

Explain how he shot below 80% on FT's, then. Was he being triple-teamed on the FT line?

Maravich was a decent shooter who combined decent size with unreal ballhandling ability (along with being coached by his father in a total gimmick style) to get shots off at a rate that no other player in basketball history could really approach.

All of which was kind of cool, and absolutely blew the minds of a segment of middle-class white viewers in the late 60's and early 70's. But it had very little to do with winning basketball games.

Bill Walton, OTOH, played for undefeated teams for 4 consecutive seasons (the number I remember is 128- that's how many games in a row his teams won)- his SR year of HS until his SR year at UCLA. Then he won an NBA title in his 3rd season in the NBA.

I'm sure if you swapped Maravich for Walton, Maravich would have seen the same results [roll].

If you are judging greatness based on free throw shooting, Walton is way down the list at 64%.

Pistol had 3 guys attempting to defend him in college--but in the nba he was defended head to head--and then his numbers FAR EXCEED Carr.

Carr was a "nice" nba player--nothing special. Just 1 among many. Not HOF material.

Pistol was Pistol---top 50 NBA all time!! HOF recognition!

NBA stat comparison, where both surrounded by PROS.

Pistol;
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/maravpe01.html

Carr;
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/carrau01.html

rr
Yeah. That top 50 was voted on.

Maravich was drafted in 1970. Which turned out to be a really good draft class. By VORP, Basketball Reference rates him 9th in that class, behind Bob Lanier, Sam Lacey, Dave Cowens, Dan Issel, Randy Smith, Calvin Murphy, George Johnson, and Rudy Tomjanovich.

If you are judging greatness based on free throw shooting, Walton is way down the list at 64%.
FT shooting means squat, unless you're selling yourself as an elite shooter, in which case you damn well better hit them.

I did not see Jack Givens on your list OP. Jack, who was a classmate of mine was not an all pro, but he was a great college player. I’m fairly certain he put up more points than any other player in a title game than Walton who definitely belongs on your list. He is one of our legacy best all time greats and he to belongs on your list. JMO of course. He was immortalized to UK fans with his SI cover, and that title number 5. He proved we were more than Rupp.

I think Wilt has to be a consideration, and he's not even listed.
They outlawed the dunk for many years because of him.
Don't think so that came years later! I think they outlawed the dunk because of Lew Alcindor! Seems like Bill Walton wasn't allowed to dunk during his career at UCLA?
\

FT shooting means squat, unless you're selling yourself as an elite shooter, in which case you damn well better hit them.
There have been a lot of lost games because of missed foul shots. See Kentucky's last game.

Well--the board voters have declared;

1-Alcindor
2-PISTOL PETE
3-Robertson
4-Walton
5-Bird
6-Russell

3 centers, 2 guards and 1 forward.

3 with multiple ncaa titles, and 3 with NO titles.

All 6 in Springfield--all HOFamers.

rr

I know we all hate him, but if this guy isn’t on this list, well, you’re just not being honest with yourself.
Remember, we’re talking COLLEGE BASKETBALL PLAYERS.
unnamed.jpg

I don't know how anyone could vote for someone other than Alcinder. The rules were changed because of him and changed back to allow dunking soon after he was gone.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Yeah.

He's a white supremacist, and posted some absolute batsh** insane KKK thing that got deleted pronto. Then he vanished for a while.
:eek:

OT I’ve always wondered. Obviously there’s an intolerance to racism on this board.

What if a poster was asked this question:
“Do you believe whites should own blacks, and that blacks shouldn’t be allowed to vote? Furthermore, do you often say the ‘n’ word in conversation?”

...and what if the person asked responded with a simple “yes” (not on a condescending or hostile manner, but just a simple response in the affirmative).

Is that in itself ban-worthy?

Taking it further, what if that person asked answered in the affirmative to a question encompassing something horrific like “Do you encourage child slavery for sex”?

If the person asked is, by all other accounts a nice and polite poster, would a mere “yes” response merit banishment?

Last edited:
Yeah.

He's a white supremacist, and posted some absolute batsh** insane KKK thing that got deleted pronto. Then he vanished for a while.

Total LIE from a woodencheater luver who whines when that FACT is acknowledged.

Never been banned from any board on any site for any form of racist or other degrading posts, since none have ever been posted.

Just an attempt by a woodenloser to attack with outright trash and evil claims.

Sad such pathetic methods are utilized on a UK site.

Perhaps we should pray for mj so he can recover any decency he may have within.

rr

:eek:

OT I’ve always wondered. Obviously there’s an intolerance to racism on this board.

What if a poster was asked this question:
“Do you believe whites should own blacks, and that blacks shouldn’t be allowed to vote? Furthermore, do you often say the ‘n’ word in conversation?”

...and what if the person asked responded with a simple “yes” (not on a condescending or hostile manner, but just a simple response in the affirmative).

Is that in itself ban-worthy?

Taking it further, what if that person asked answered in the affirmative to a question encompassing something horrific like “Do you encourage child slavery for sex”?

If the person asked is, by all other accounts a nice and polite poster, would a mere “yes” response merit banishment?
I say no.

But I also say that the world should be reminded of what they're dealing with when it comes to that person. No polite, "I don't really know them, I can't judge" BS.

There are racists in the UK fanbase. Some people can't acknowledge that, and I think it's destructive. So, if someone wants to come on here and post some lunatic Knights of the Klan story (which is very much what the person I'm referring to did- or someone using the same name, as I suspect muItiple people use that account- as I saw it in the brief time it was on the board), then it's perfectly OK to tell the world that that person is a blatant racist.

Well--let's let members decide how KKK the "story really is!!

The 2nd greatest story ever told
"How the Kingdom was saved"
The "Tale of the 3 Wise Men"

The Prickly Prince directed the glorious soldiers from the shining castle high above all others. He protected the "CROWN JEWEL" of the kingdom, and the sheen and AURA of the Crown Jewel dazzled and overwhelmed all who dared challenge.

All was wonderful and right, and the "Common Folk" were pleased and happy. The spirit teemed with unity and support for the Crown Jewel.

ALAS---the Prickly Prince sought and found a larger kingdom, where he could garner more POWER and reign with total control. So--he left behind the Crown Jewel and became KING of his new empire--and the "Common Folk" wished the Prickly Prince well, for now he would be a CELTIC KING. This happened after 2 short of 10 annums in the realm of the "Crown Jewel"!!

The "AURA" from the Crown Jewel was amazing, all who came in contact, realized its enormity and power--both friend and foe bowed to its magnificence.

At the time of the void left by the Prickly Prince, the choice for the new prince was left to the resident ego ogre the "numbnuts of Neuter". His choice, the "TEFLON TURDY DRAGON", a less than shadow of the Prickly Prince.

In the first annum of the reign of the Teflon Turdy Dragon--he enjoyed the reward of the remains of the DYNASTY created by the Prickly Prince--but omens of darkness foretold of many annums of deep despair and harbingers of great destruction road on the deepening amassing clouds.

Slowly, as the SUCKING of the Teflon Turdy Dragon and his tubbite and tubbling enablers swarmed the kingdom--the once great "AURA" of the Crwon Jewel became tarnished and dim---the once sweet bouquet, like 4 seasons of spring, slid into mire and a stench that enveloped the kingdom, and the "Common Folk" fell into deep sadness and gloom, only over shadowed by the diminished "AURA" of the Crown Jewel!!! That once great lustre, the glorious sheen, the past GLORY--all faded memories of wonderful times many annums past.

Within the dismal and stench laden Kingdom, the "Concerned Folk" grew restless, and an anger brewed within the caldron of past memories built upon the glories and AURA and sweetness---and their hue and cry and wailing were heard---for it spread wide and far from the "House of the Dynasty Defenders"!!

From the soul of the once GREAT Kingom, there rode forth on GREAT WHITE STEEDS--the "THREE WISE MEN--armed and ready to attack, disbowel and destroy the ever sucking destructive Teflon Turdy Dragon--

The 3 Wise Men came forth with offerings of gold, more gold, and even more gold laden caravans were called forth to achieve a peaceful resolution and an END to the sucking destruction.

But--the teflon turdy dragon was a devious an dishonorable adversary--and the teflon turdy dragon called forth from the decaying carcass of his destruction--a MAGGOT, a dirty scourge sanctioned to disrupt and divide the helpers, messengers and supporters of the 3 wise men---from the "House of the Dynasty Defenders"!

After multiple false dealings by the teflon turdy dragon, and cowardice from the barnyard and toaddy--the 3 wisemen filled the chests with their golden offereings--and retreated---determined to to rid the decayed kingdom from the terror of the reign of the teflon turdy dragon and the continuous sucking destruction.

and it soon came to pass--just 3 sectors short an annum, the 3 Wise Men appeared with chests of golden offerings--and LO, the teflon trudy dragon fully sated with the destruction and devastation maximized--was prepared to vacate the stench laden kingdom--his plans made and finalized--so the teflon turdy dragon accepts the chests of gold, and slithers (nay is flushed) to the North Tundra, a frozen scape where frozen stench is diminished, and devastation and mediocrity are the norm and EXPECTED!!!

The 3 Wise Men, with the aid of the "House of the Dynasty Defenders" and the "Clan of the Concerned Messengers" have WON the day!! Though the Kingdom be divided--the ravaging "siege of terror" is done

But is it?

Tis time to find a worthy PRINCE, and the barnyard and toaddy search yon "LESSER REALMS" for the "Sacrificial Lamb" based on recent won battles but devoid the lustre and "AURA" of the Crown Jewel!!

Having failed and left horseless by the "Baby Munster"---POOR research produces the "Sacrificial Lamb" known as the "TEXAS TUFF"--accustomed to less refined settings, devoid of culture and destined to a campaign of WHISPERS, TALL TALES and attacks from the tubbite and tubling enablers still attached to the large sphincter of the Teflon Turdy Dragon.

dual annums of Tefon turdy dragon attack campaign, 2 annums of soldier revolt, 2 annums of still tarnished "Crown Jewel AURA", and the demise of the sacrificial lamb, the TEXAS TUFF is etched in the granite where resides the "Crown Jewel"!

So--under great pressure, the Texas Tuff retreats--chased by the CAMERA and the PHONE--banished from the kingdom forever--and the "CROWN Jewel" remains devoid of AURA!!

From the deep mist of fog and darkness, ASTRIDE GREAT WHITE STEEDS, appear the 3 Wise Men--laden with gold like never here-to-fore visioned within the Kingdom!!

This time, determined to correct the destruction of the teflon turdy dragon--the misdeeds of the barnyard and toaddy---and the malaise and hurt of the sacrificail lamb"the Texas Tuff".

Again the barnyard and toaddy seek from yon realms a new PRINCE, and against the will of the "3 wise men and the Dynasty Defenders" --they seek out and entice the "Baby Munster" to restore the AURA to the Crown Jewel--and again the "Baby Munster" defiles the opportunity, defames the Crown Jewel--and DEFECATES in his "BABY Pantaloons"!!

NOW, the 3 Wise Men on Great White Steeds seek out the help of the "House of the Dynasty Defensers", Speak through the "Clan of the Concerned Messengers" and incite robust legions of supporters for their SELECTION to restore the glorious lustre and AURA to the "Crown Jewel" of the kingdom

And the Will of the "Common Folk" is heard wide and clear--

"Let the 3 Wise Men save us from this dismay, malaise and down trodden PARITY"--

and the barnyard and the toaddy are forced to step aside-

The 3 Wise Men ride to the realm to the South, astride their GREAT WHITE STEEDS--and take with them a caravan laden with gold and offerings like never before seen in all the REALMS--

again the barnyard and toaddy put forth demands--and again they are rebuffed--this time by GRAND ORACLES, the overseers of the kingdon--the "Boardman's Club"! These astute and wisened sages are the chosen over seers, for they have much power and fortune--and they are trusted and wise!!

Now--at last--the 3 wise men have prevailed--and AURA and sheen and lustre have returned to the Kingdom, and the CROWN JEWEL bedazzles all who see and discuss it--and the surrounding realms abound with fear--

For the 3 Wise men have saved the Kingdom, and returned the "Crown Jewel" to its rightful place atop all the realms--

And this was achieved by the 3 WISE men--

Because they made an offer, even the

GODFATHER cannot refuse!!

From the tales of rr of the" House of the Dynasty Defenders" and the "Clan of the Concerned Messengers"

rr

ADVERTISEMENT