ADVERTISEMENT

" The Blind side" Controversy .. who to believe ?

I think a thread of angry and anonymous redditors is where I would start to find out the truth about someone.
Didn't say it was true but based on many threads on this board, most on this board are quick to believe internet stories regardless of political affiliation. I threw that in to make sure it was clear I wasn't pointing a finger at a particular group. I didn't post a reddit thread. I posted a news article like others have done. Hell in this very thread, people are choosing to believe internet stories about the Tuohys only receiving 14k apiece. Believe whatever you want but the Tuohys deserve the same magnifying glass pointed at them.

The figure that you are quoting is for the initial movie rights for the book. The author, Oher and the Touhy's then got royalty checks based on a small piece the profits. These totaled several hundred thousand but not millions as is alleged.
Both sides only have allegations of what was earned currently. At this point, the Tuohys have allegations about what they earned and Oher has allegations about what they earned. Neither have been proven to be the correct amount as of yet. I would assume Oher can produce some sort of documentation about his allegations. I would assume the Tuohys can produce some sort of documentation about their allegations. The courts will have to determine who is being truthful.

Both sides only have allegations of what was earned currently. At this point, the Tuohys have allegations about what they earned and Oher has allegations about what they earned. Neither have been proven to be the correct amount as of yet. I would assume Oher can produce some sort of documentation about his allegations. I would assume the Tuohys can produce some sort of documentation about their allegations. The courts will have to determine who is being truthful.
I added a sentence to my post you quoted. The movie studio issued a statement detailing the earnings for the Touhy's and it was less than $1 million. So you have the author and the studio supporting the Touhy's side of the story.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManitouDan
Except its not. I have repeatedly said if the allegations are true, etc in my posts. I am looking forward to everything coming out in court.
Yeah I’m sitting back waiting for the black family that adopted the white kid and provided for their education and college then the kid went broke and tried to sue them in court hoping for the sympathy ruling 🍺

Yeah I’m sitting back waiting for the black family that adopted the white kid and provided for their education and college then the kid went broke and tried to sue them in court hoping for the sympathy ruling 🍺
Point 1...they didn't adopt him.
Point 2...He received a scholarship. Now you might argue that the tutors the Tuohys provided was the reason he got that scholarship but those tutors didn't cost the amount of college. I will also point out that in college he was a decent student by all accounts.
Point 3...where is your source that he went broke? That is simply an assumption you have made without anything backing it up. Internet reports say he is worth between 16 and 20 million.

so your attempt at flipping the roles is laughable at best.

A news article? [laughing]

Direct from that "news" article that is like the others.

Brobible.com is pointing to a tweet from Every Day Should be Saturday founder Spencer Hall leading to a Reddit thread from r/Memphis in which residents who work in the service industry recall how awful their experiences with the family have been over the years.

While this is Reddit and nothing is verifiable, there are plenty of comments which paint the Tuohys in a bad light.

“That lady used to come in J.Alexanders and be such a B to us,” the top comment reads. “(The people who worked there). She thought she was God or some S.”
A user replied: “Was in the same room with her at an event and stuck-up and entitled pretty much sums it up.”
Another comment reads, “Did a catering event for the whole family one time. I almost got fired because I didn’t know who she was. She was so upset she told my boss. I said “what can I help you with ma’am?” Didn’t like that I wasn’t addressing her by name.”
“I worked at a fine dining establishment in East Memphis and came here to say the same. Out of a lot of rich, entitled, stuck up nightmare regulars we had, she was easily one of the F-Ing worst,” reads yet another negative comment.
A restaurant server claimed, “She was the rudest customer I ever had to come into contact with. She walked in at 9:59 to a place that closed at 10 and then acted like a B all night.”
“That whole family was an absolute nightmare to wait on at Houstons,” someone else wrote.
“She and her daughter Collins are truly terrible people to have to wait on! I was just talking about this with coworkers last weekend,” one user claimed.

You know what I didn't find in the reddit thread, anyone saying Mr. Tuohy to giving off Bernie Madoff vibes.

But guys, promise minds aren't made up.

A news article? [laughing]

Direct from that "news" article that is like the others.

Brobible.com is pointing to a tweet from Every Day Should be Saturday founder Spencer Hall leading to a Reddit thread from r/Memphis in which residents who work in the service industry recall how awful their experiences with the family have been over the years.

While this is Reddit and nothing is verifiable, there are plenty of comments which paint the Tuohys in a bad light.

You know what I didn't find in the reddit thread, anyone saying Mr. Tuohy to giving off Bernie Madoff vibes.

But guys, promise minds aren't made up.
He does give me off those vibes but that doesn't mean that the allegations by Oher are true. I haven't said once that he or the family are guilty of anything here. In fact, I have repeatedly used if true, allegedly etc. I am looking forward to the truth coming out in court whether that means Oher or the Tuohys are telling the truth.

Dude, you are hopeless. If I thought you were just trolling, I'd lay into this more but my fear is you're either insane or just not too bright. Either way, you telling me or anyone to be open-minded is absolutely precious.

Dude, you are hopeless. If I thought you were just trolling, I'd lay into this more but my fear is you're either insane or just not too bright. Either way, you telling me or anyone to be open-minded is absolutely precious.
if the shoe fits, lace it up and wear it...I have not said either party is innocent or guilty in this entire discussion...I have repeatedly said i look forward to the truth coming out in court regardless of who wins...that is the definition of open minded.

How does he give off Madoff vibes to you, specifically?
I said in that post that I can't put my finger on it...he just seems smarmy to me...I fully admit that is just an opinion which could be wrong and he could be the nicest guy in the world. Just the vibe I get from him.

• Haha
Reactions: Get Bucket$
[laughing] open-minded

Last night:

On the flip side, I think Oher is doing all he can to make himself look like as big a victim as possible. Do I think the Tuohys took advantage of him in some way? Absolutely. Do I think they are smarmy as he is trying to make them out to be? Nope.

I will say also that there is just something about the dad that gives me Bernie Madoff conman vibes. I’m not sure what specifically but there is something there to me.

[laughing] open-minded

Last night:

On the flip side, I think Oher is doing all he can to make himself look like as big a victim as possible. Do I think the Tuohys took advantage of him in some way? Absolutely. Do I think they are smarmy as he is trying to make them out to be? Nope.

I will say also that there is just something about the dad that gives me Bernie Madoff conman vibes. I’m not sure what specifically but there is something there to me.
I own that statement but still will say that doesn't mean they are guilty of what Oher has alleged. Those two things are separate from each other and both can be true. I can find them smarmy and they can also not be guilty of anything that Oher has alleged.

In his 2011 memoir, “I Beat The Odds,” Oher wrote the Tuohys were “named as my ‘legal conservators’ ” in the summer after he finished high school, describing a scene where he went to the courthouse with the couple to “celebrate.” He wrote that the Tuohy family “explained to me that it means pretty much the same thing as ‘adoptive parents,’ but that the laws were just written in a way that took my age into account.”

Doesn't that kind of contradict the original claim?

In his 2011 memoir, “I Beat The Odds,” Oher wrote the Tuohys were “named as my ‘legal conservators’ ” in the summer after he finished high school, describing a scene where he went to the courthouse with the couple to “celebrate.” He wrote that the Tuohy family “explained to me that it means pretty much the same thing as ‘adoptive parents,’ but that the laws were just written in a way that took my age into account.”

Doesn't that kind of contradict the original claim?
Maybe but the initial news release about this, he said he was told that a conservatorship and an adoption was basically the same thing and that the Tuohys said they adopted him. This excerpt essentially says the same thing.

Also, I read (maybe in the same article you are quoting) that Oher and Tuohys have been estranged for almost 10 years. I look forward to having Oher and the Tuohys under oath. Let's get to the bottom of this and find out who is lying. I would guess both parties are doing everything they can to make themselves look better in the public eye.

Judge forced one on Spears because it was determined she wasn't capable to of making decisions for herself while Oher agreed to this one. Whether he was tricked or not is to be determined.
Slightly related—she’s now splitting with husband number…4? Oops.She did it again.

Actually, part of his complaint is that because the movie portrayed him as an idiot, which he is not, teams didn't want to interview him or sign him because they assumed he had such a learning disability or low IQ. So his complaint, which I'm not vouching for, is that he lost brand awareness because everyone thought he was a dipshit.
lol, the movie came out after the draft in 2009

You are all somewhat intelligent. If you don’t understand that he has to prove them to be in bad faith to win his filing and end the conservatorship then I don’t know what you expecting.

He has to make them out as ugly people and it really shouldn’t be made public.

They can say they will relinquish their right publicly, but something makes him feel otherwise.

I am dead serious when I say this, I don’t think either side is after anything from past dealings. I honestly think he just wants his likeness back to get paid on this book and any other further use of him that is his right.

Reactions: TCurtis75
Maybe but the initial news release about this, he said he was told that a conservatorship and an adoption was basically the same thing and that the Tuohys said they adopted him. This excerpt essentially says the same thing.

Also, I read (maybe in the same article you are quoting) that Oher and Tuohys have been estranged for almost 10 years. I look forward to having Oher and the Tuohys under oath. Let's get to the bottom of this and find out who is lying. I would guess both parties are doing everything they can to make themselves look better in the public eye.
I would bet my last dollar when they get to the bottom of it they will find a lawyer.

Reactions: TCurtis75
It’s a mutually beneficial relationship. I was at ole miss the same time all this was going on and the dude went right along with it. It got him exposure. The commercial appeal did a big article on the family and for this dude he was an adult. He latched on to that family to gain advantage. I’ve never seen the movie or even bother to read any revisionist stuff. I didn’t read the thread just a quick glance. If this guy is calling some foul now it’s bs

It’s a mutually beneficial relationship. I was at ole miss the same time all this was going on and the dude went right along with it. It got him exposure. The commercial appeal did a big article on the family and for this dude he was an adult. He latched on to that family to gain advantage. I’ve never seen the movie or even bother to read any revisionist stuff. I didn’t read the thread just a quick glance. If this guy is calling some foul now it’s bs
What did he go along with while you were both at Ole Miss?

What did he go along with while you were both at Ole Miss?
The whole narrative of the family. He embraces it. He acted like a son. It was a feel good story even as it unfolded and he ate it up. Go back look at the events as they unfolded.

I especially love your lectures on objectivity and believing what one reads on the Internet.
Not lecturing anyone. Stating a fact based on reading posts on this board. People are free to believe whatever they want. You wouldn’t know objectivity if it grew teeth and bit you on your ass. You are the last person who needs to point a finger at anyone.

You were the one posting Reddit gossip about the Touhy’s yesterday and now you are lecturing to people about what they read and believe on the internet - what a loon
Never said it was truthful or that I believed it. Just that it was out there. How do you breathe with your condition of cranial rectal inversion? My advice to you is to get your head out of your ass. Antwan Barbour sucked almost as bad as you do.

It isn’t lost on me that you didn’t have an issue with the article from Jason Whitlock that was shared. I’ll take hypocrite for $1000…Who is Barbour for 3?

But being a college player doesn't necessarily mean anything for making it to the NFL, even if he was a borderline top20 recruit.

Do we think that this already-rich family saw Oher, a kid who could barely pass grade school coming from such a poor and neglected background, and thought "he could be our ticket to an NFL payday?".. idk, just doesn't seem like something that's likely to pan out. I can't see the family thinking this was a even a realistic scenario.

No idea what their true intentions were in taking him in, but I don't think it was the NFL or some movie deal..
Apparently he’s mad about his portrayal as being “dumb” and didn’t know how to play football, both of which are apparently false.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT