ADVERTISEMENT

" The Blind side" Controversy .. who to believe ?

Oher also alleges he didn’t realize he was still under it until he retired from the NFL in Feb of 2023. My guess is he was working with an attorney to do something (maybe business it personal) and that attorney saw the conservatorship and said he couldn’t do those things under that. Again Oher is claiming he didn’t know until this year. The second sentence is a guess on my part as to how he found out. Nothing has been proven yet.
I have no idea who is right or wrong in this matter. Without all of the evidence it's impossible to draw a reasonable conclusion as to who is correct. That being said, there is no excuse for an adult to not know he is under a conservatorship. Presumably, every time he signed a new contract, they would have also signed. Any contractual event, commercials, endorsements, purchasing property, selling property, etc. they would have had to sign along with him. Is that correct? If that is correct, how could he not know he is under a conservatorship all of those years? That doesn't make any sense. If he thought he was adopted, parents don't sign those documents once you are of legal age. I'm struggling to understand how he could be in the dark about being under a conservatorship.

Okay, this article is pretty good.

Yahoo Conservatorship Explanation

This makes me lean more on Oher's side. They got the conservatorship because they didn't want the NCAA giving them crap about all the money they gave him. The Tuohys were boosters, so it would be looked at as an improper benefit.

But they mention that it should have been ended shortly thereafter.

Found this part interesting.

"Michael was obviously living with us for a long time, and the NCAA didn't like that," he said in an interview published on Monday. "They said the only way Michael could go to Ole Miss was if he was actually part of the family. I sat Michael down and told him, 'If you're planning to go to Ole Miss — or even considering Ole Miss — we think you have to be part of the family. This would do that, legally.' We contacted lawyers who had told us that we couldn't adopt over the age of 18; the only thing we could do was to have a conservatorship. We were so concerned it was on the up-and-up that we made sure the biological mother came to court."

Reactions: Col. Angus
It’s not my responsibility to fix the way you take something. Your perception is on you. If you want to take something I say wrong, just own it and move on.
Here are your exact words.....you know what you meant by them and so does everyone else... be man enough to own it:

“Catspause doesn’t disappoint though. I knew the majority of the posters here would side with and believe the family. I wonder why that is.”

Here are your exact words.....you know what you meant by them and so does everyone else... be man enough to own it:

“Catspause doesn’t disappoint though. I knew the majority of the posters here would side with and believe the family. I wonder why that is.”
Let it go... @TCurtis75 has been arguing the merits of the story fairly after his initial post.

I know my words. You took them to infer race. That’s your interpretation which is wrong. What it is was an opening to explain why. Race was never mentioned. You just made that assumption.

It’s not my responsibility to fix the way you take something. Your perception is on you. If you want to take something I say wrong, just own it and move on.
You’re one disingenuous person. Not a shock, gaslighting is a common trait of a narcissist.

I have no idea who is right or wrong in this matter. Without all of the evidence it's impossible to draw a reasonable conclusion as to who is correct. That being said, there is no excuse for an adult to not know he is under a conservatorship. Presumably, every time he signed a new contract, they would have also signed. Any contractual event, commercials, endorsements, purchasing property, selling property, etc. they would have had to sign along with him. Is that correct? If that is correct, how could he not know he is under a conservatorship all of those years? That doesn't make any sense. If he thought he was adopted, parents don't sign those documents once you are of legal age. I'm struggling to understand how he could be in the dark about being under a conservatorship.
If I understand correctly, a Tuohy family friend was acting as his agent. If that’s the case, the Tuohys could have been working behind the scenes on his contract negotiations or even just given the agent a blanket approval for those contracts in some way. Again, we only can speculate right now.

Reactions: WayneDougan
You’re one disingenuous person. Not a shock, gaslighting is a common trait of a narcissist.
You would know. You do it better than anyone. I stand by my posts and my intention behind them in this thread. How you perceive them is on you and I really couldn’t care less.

• Haha
Reactions: Mdnerd
Glad to see Wayne coming to the moral side of this thing. Whether it’s proven contractually right or wrong was done you can clearly see the Tuohy’s skirted rules to avoid NCAA punishment to benefit Ole Miss. it doesn’t take much to convince me these people are financially well off and willing to to use money to get laws or rules to play their way.

As far as Oher’s side I honestly even wonder if he wants money from it or if he has to show their bad faith in the conservatorship. I realize they say he tried to blackmail them but I could see being in his shoes knowing 15M might be small enough they’d pay him off and nothing would change, but that would be enough for him to say screw it no need to end the conservatorship.

Maybe it was too much and smaller amount would suffice. But if they are so willing to end it as they say then they could a lot easier than he can prove their bad faith.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
Glad to see Wayne coming to the moral side of this thing. Whether it’s proven contractually right or wrong was done you can clearly see the Tuohy’s skirted rules to avoid NCAA punishment to benefit Ole Miss.

This isn't clear at all. Your mind was made up from the first day of the story.

You may want to stick to having Levis as a future HOF QB.

It was clear. Hell it was clear they were shady AF when the story broke back then and the movie didn’t exactly change many opinions at the time either.

You are entitled to your opinion, lord knows you have one.

It was clear. Hell it was clear they were shady AF when the story broke back then and the movie didn’t exactly change many opinions at the time either.

You are entitled to your opinion, lord knows you have one.
Tuohy more or less admitted it in his interview the other day.

The conservatorship was set up to truly help Oher and allowed the Tuohys to be his legal guardian while he was in high school and college. So this was above board.

Okay, this article is pretty good.

Yahoo Conservatorship Explanation

This makes me lean more on Oher's side. They got the conservatorship because they didn't want the NCAA giving them crap about all the money they gave him. The Tuohys were boosters, so it would be looked at as an improper benefit.

But they mention that it should have been ended shortly thereafter.

This was my suspicion and glad I saw it confirmed as I read. I'm surprised too it was never ended but my guess is it was forgotten about and there's been no real money or control flowing through there since he left ole miss. All sides probably thought it expired naturally.

All I know is what I saw in the movie, which could be factual or not, but with that said, my question is this:
How many meals, shoes, clothes, tutors etc. did the Tuohy's spend on Oher, and would he have gone to college, and the NFL without their involvement?

I find it hard to believe an already rich family screwed over the kid they took in simply to make some extra bucks off a movie.

And even if the races were reversed, my first instinct would be to say Oher should find a little more gratitude.

I completely believe they did what they did helping Oher to get him to Ole Miss. And I also think that Oher benefitted from having a family that was able to financially support him until he could get an NFL contract. And I'm even happier knowing the NCAA didn't have the opportunity to ruin that for them. So really, why is that bad for either the Tuohy's or Oher? I'm not talking about what's alleged afterwards but up until that point, that seemed like a mutually beneficial deal.

Reactions: I am stupid
All I know is what I saw in the movie, which could be factual or not, but with that said, my question is this:
How many meals, shoes, clothes, tutors etc. did the Tuohy's spend on Oher, and would he have gone to college, and the NFL without their involvement?

I find it hard to believe an already rich family screwed over the kid they took in simply to make some extra bucks off a movie.

And even if the races were reversed, my first instinct would be to say Oher should find a little more gratitude.
The movie was wrong about a lot or at the very least sensationalized much of the story. The movie painted Oher as an unitelligent kid that the Tuohys brought in, put in private school, and helped learn the game of football. One scene even said he had never slept in a bed before. The truth is Oher was an intelligent kid who was already in private school (with a scholarship I believe), on the football team, and a major college recruit. The Tuohys certainly provided him some help but he was not starting at 0 when they got involved.

I completely believe they did what they did helping Oher to get him to Ole Miss. And I also think that Oher benefitted from having a family that was able to financially support him until he could get an NFL contract. And I'm even happier knowing the NCAA didn't have the opportunity to ruin that for them. So really, why is that bad for either the Tuohy's or Oher? I'm not talking about what's alleged afterwards but up until that point, that seemed like a mutually beneficial deal.

Technically all I’ve read is he filed to end the conservatorship. To end it he has to paint them as having bad faith.

They said he has tried to blackmail for 15M but would gladly end the conservatorship.

If they oblige his request the judge will overturn it.

Oher is shown as being worth 16M as of this week so it isn’t exactly clear he is after back pay.

But, if his book is out, and it sells big while not having any rights to its payday due to the contracts from the past I could see why he is doing this now. Which could also be to drum up some free publicity about the book too.

Whether it’s proven contractually right or wrong was done you can clearly see the Tuohy’s skirted rules to avoid NCAA punishment to benefit Ole Miss.
I saw the movie and then looked up how factual it was. In reality the family worked as boosters but made it look like they taught him football. Kid was already a D1 prospect and getting a lot of attention. There were allegations that they were the textbook definition of boosters when he committed.

Reactions: krazykats
Oher was over 18 and so couldn't be adopted. To get into college, he had to be part of a family, and a conservatorship was the way they saw to do that.

The Michael Lewis book is as much about Lawrence Taylor as it is about Oher. It's basically a sports book w/ human interest attached. Lawrence Taylor's monster talent had changed the way that teams evaluated the offensive line, and Oher was one of the new type of O-linemen that clubs plugged into their schemes to counter new defenses. Lewis's big subject is the way markets respond to information. That's what's behind his books Liar's Poker, The Big Short, and Moneyball. The Oher family story was the human interest part of an analysis of how football has changed. The book wasn't a Hallmark Tear Jerker and you don't feel upon reading it that it would make that good of a movie. That was the work of the screenwriter. The amount of money from the movie deal was relatively tiny. Hindsight is 20 20. Still, the value added was mostly the writer and director.

If the Tuohys didn't imagine that their story would become a blockbuster, that's hardly corrupt. Nobody can tell the future, and most movies struggle to breakeven. In a way, this controversy mirrors Lewis's concern: markets often need correction due to not having perfect information.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
Oher was over 18 and so couldn't be adopted. To get into college, he had to be part of a family, and a conservatorship was the way they saw to do that.

The Michael Lewis book is as much about Lawrence Taylor as it is about Oher. It's basically a sports book w/ human interest attached. Lawrence Taylor's monster talent had changed the way that teams evaluated the offensive line, and Oher was one of the new type of O-linemen that clubs plugged into their schemes to counter new defenses. Lewis's big subject is the way markets respond to information. That's what's behind his books Liar's Poker, The Big Short, and Moneyball. The Oher family story was the human interest part of an analysis of how football has changed. The book wasn't a Hallmark Tear Jerker and you don't feel upon reading it that it would make that good of a movie. That was the work of the screenwriter. The amount of money from the movie deal was relatively tiny. Hindsight is 20 20. Still, the value added was mostly the writer and director.

If the Tuohys didn't imagine that their story would become a blockbuster, that's hardly corrupt. Nobody can tell the future, and most movies struggle to breakeven. In a way, this controversy mirrors Lewis's concern: markets often need correction due to not having perfect information.
From Wayne's link, "

Current Tennessee law allows for adoption over the age of 18​

"It's possible that Sean Tuohy got bad legal advice or that he was being disingenuous, because in Tennessee, as in most of the country, it would have been perfectly legal to adopt Michael Oher even after he was 18 or older," Nelson said. "Rather than an adoption, which would have given Michael potential rights in their family, the Tuohys' action stripped him of his personal autonomy and gave them the ability to profit from him and control him."

The initial reason for the conservatorship is so a booster (the Tuohys) could have a top prospect (Oher) go to Ole Miss without Ole Miss getting in trouble or Oher losing eligibility.

They could have adopted him. But I think one thing we're missing is this: if they adopted him they probably could have signed the movie deal as well since it was "for the family".

So again, I'm not sure the conservatorship or the adoption really matters.

It seems to me it comes down to whether he really signed away the rights to the movie, how much the movie made the family (and if he really got anything), and whether his agent was acting in his interests.

The initial reason for the conservatorship is so a booster (the Tuohys) could have a top prospect (Oher) go to Ole Miss without Ole Miss getting in trouble or Oher losing eligibility.

They could have adopted him. But I think one thing we're missing is this: if they adopted him they probably could have signed the movie deal as well since it was "for the family".

So again, I'm not sure the conservatorship or the adoption really matters.

It seems to me it comes down to whether he really signed away the rights to the movie, how much the movie made the family (and if he really got anything), and whether his agent was acting in his interests.
In my opinion, there are two ways the adoption/conservatorship matters. Neither way may have any legal ramifications but certainly if true, paint the Tuohys in a really negative light. The first way is if they lied to Oher about adopting him through the years, that is just evil behavior IMO. 2nd is if they used the conservatorship to defraud him and swindle money he rightfully should have had. If either of those are true, the credibility of the Tuohys goes right out the window for the 3 you mentioned that it comes down to.

I think your three issues are the most important legally without question.

The movie was wrong about a lot or at the very least sensationalized much of the story. The movie painted Oher as an unitelligent kid that the Tuohys brought in, put in private school, and helped learn the game of football. One scene even said he had never slept in a bed before. The truth is Oher was an intelligent kid who was already in private school (with a scholarship I believe), on the football team, and a major college recruit. The Tuohys certainly provided him some help but he was not starting at 0 when they got involved.

Per Wikipedia Oher had a 0.76 GPA going into his Senior Year. Also, the only reason he got into that private school was this: "the school's football coach, Hugh Freeze, submitted Oher's school application to the headmaster, who agreed to accept him if Oher could complete a home study program first. He did not finish the program, but was admitted when the headmaster realized that his requirement had removed Oher from the public education system." Sounds like Hugh Freeze being Hugh Freeze. ;)

I'm not saying the kid was naturally dumb (he did pretty well in college), but it's not like he was even below average up until his senior year of high school. He was failing. And the Tuohys hired a private tutor to work with him for 20 hours per week. If it were not for them, he would not have been able to go D1 due to grades in my opinion.

I think this is all about the contract and how it could impact the upcoming book sales.

Oher wants out of that contract and wants his likeness back so he can profit.

They can say they will let him out, but if they really were ok to do that I’d think they already would have.

Per Wikipedia Oher had a 0.76 GPA going into his Senior Year. Also, the only reason he got into that private school was this: "the school's football coach, Hugh Freeze, submitted Oher's school application to the headmaster, who agreed to accept him if Oher could complete a home study program first. He did not finish the program, but was admitted when the headmaster realized that his requirement had removed Oher from the public education system." Sounds like Hugh Freeze being Hugh Freeze. ;)

I'm not saying the kid was naturally dumb (he did pretty well in college), but it's not like he was even below average up until his senior year of high school. He was failing. And the Tuohys hired a private tutor to work with him for 20 hours per week. If it were not for them, he would not have been able to go D1 due to grades in my opinion.
Fair enough, I thought I remembered reading that he was a pretty good student and not like the movie portrayed him. I misremembered that based on your information.

From Wayne's link, "

Current Tennessee law allows for adoption over the age of 18​

"It's possible that Sean Tuohy got bad legal advice or that he was being disingenuous, because in Tennessee, as in most of the country, it would have been perfectly legal to adopt Michael Oher even after he was 18 or older," Nelson said. "Rather than an adoption, which would have given Michael potential rights in their family, the Tuohys' action stripped him of his personal autonomy and gave them the ability to profit from him and control him."
Interesting. Thank you.

So, the question becomes one of fraudulently profiting from or squandering Oher's resources. Ordinary fiduciary responsibilities.

Can we all agree that money tends to ruin a lot of good things?

The Tuohys provided Oher a wonderful home. Oher was a good kid who gave the Tuohys a lot of happiness. And at some point these two sides couldn't figure it out because of money.

If Oher tried to shake down the Tuohy's, he is an ungrateful POS.

Sure but if the Tuohys did what Oher alleges of them then they are just POS period. It is entirely possible that both sides are POS.

Not sure Jason Whitlock is the one to be calling anyone a POS either though.

I think that's about the only thing we know for sure about this story is that at least one side of this is a POS.

I don’t think you understand what a conservatorship is. Maybe I don’t either, but I’m pretty sure the Tuohys would have had to sign that contract waiving his right to payment for the movie as well as a contract waiving any payment for his likeness since it was sig Ed after the conservatorship was in place.

I’m not sure how what you posted is in response to what I posted. My post had nothing to do with the conservatorship aspect. Mine was about using the claim that you didn’t remember signing a contract as a valid way to nullify a contract.

So what’s the diff between this and the Britney Spears conservatorship?
Judge forced one on Spears because it was determined she wasn't capable to of making decisions for herself while Oher agreed to this one. Whether he was tricked or not is to be determined.

If Oher tried to shake down the Tuohy's, he is an ungrateful POS.

That's pretty brutal and Whitlock is a blowhard asshole. But, I feel there is some merit to this statement given how we've seen MSM present stories over the last few years.

'What he's doing to the to the family is despicable. He's telling an obvious lie that he knows most of the media will be too afraid to question because he's black,' he said.

Reactions: Col. Angus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT