ADVERTISEMENT

" The Blind side" Controversy .. who to believe ?

POA is nothing and thrown out after a guardianship takes place. Guardianship takes total precedence, I know dealing with my fathers estate bs.

Where is the information that he has a net worth of $16 million coming from?

As of 2023, Oher's net worth stands as a subject of debate, with estimates oscillating between $16 million and $25 million. A prevailing consensus positions his worth around $22 million, encompassing his NFL contracts, personal holdings, and potential earnings linked to the movie and other endeavors.

Don't know. Most of what I've read suggest that he's wasted a lot of his NFL earnings. The other thing that's hinted at but never stated is that the Tuohy's current wealth was derived from Oher's NFL earnings. Stories imply that today the Tuohy's are worth [some number] of millions of dollars and the stories leave hanging how much it actually is or its source, but they seem to imply that they built their fortune by diverting Oher's earnings to themselves. Hence Oher's lawsuit. If they commingled his earnings with their own, there's going to be legal issues. But none of the stories I've read get into details. Or even makes that statement. Careful to avoid defamation.

I don't understand why or how the conservatorship survived Oher's graduation from college. The NCAA regulations seemed to be the motivation behind its creation.

Stories imply that today the Tuohy's are worth [some number] of millions of dollars and the stories leave hanging how much it actually is or its source, but they seem to imply that they built their fortune by diverting Oher's earnings to themselves.
Dude.

Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy were successful franchisees, owning 115 Taco Bell, KFC and Taco Bell/KFC co-branded restaurants in six states, as well as seven Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers locations. They also owned the real estate for 64 of those franchised restaurants, according to Franchise Times.

The outlet's 2020 profile on the Tuohys said the couple sold 105 franchise locations and 55 properties for $213 million in six separate transactions.

Dude.

Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy were successful franchisees, owning 115 Taco Bell, KFC and Taco Bell/KFC co-branded restaurants in six states, as well as seven Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers locations. They also owned the real estate for 64 of those franchised restaurants, according to Franchise Times.

The outlet's 2020 profile on the Tuohys said the couple sold 105 franchise locations and 55 properties for $213 million in six separate transactions.
Thanks. The "dude" comment was a bit odd. I wasn't claiming to have read everything written on the subject.

As of 2023, Oher's net worth stands as a subject of debate, with estimates oscillating between $16 million and $25 million. A prevailing consensus positions his worth around $22 million, encompassing his NFL contracts, personal holdings, and potential earnings linked to the movie and other endeavors.
That’s complete fluff.

Reactions: Kentucky81
As far as making millions, Tuohy contends, per the Daily Memphian, he didn’t need the money after selling most of his fast-food franchises for more than $200 million.

“We didn’t make any money off the movie,” Tuohy said. “Well, Michael Lewis (the author of the book ‘The Blind Side’) gave us half of his share. Everybody in the family got an equal share, including Michael. It was about $14,000, each.

“We were never offered money. We never asked for money. My money is well-documented. You can look up how much I sold my company for.”

He said he didn’t need $40,000 from the movie.

“I will say it’s upsetting that people would think I would want to make money off any of my children,” he said.

I'm wondering, if the way the Touhy's went about Oher's adoption/conservationship maybe wasn't the correct way, although not in any way nefarious, as they had plenty of money from their franchises.. but thats leaving the door open for Oher to cry foul in an attempt for a pay day.

Seems the father is putting his cards on the table about the finances. As well as offering to end the conservationship if Oher wishes. Usually you'd hear someone guilty say "talk to my lawyer" or try and fight back.

I'm wondering, if the way the Touhy's went about Oher's adoption/conservationship maybe wasn't the correct way, although not in any way nefarious, as they had plenty of money from their franchises.. but thats leaving the door open for Oher to cry foul in an attempt for a pay day.

Seems the father is putting his cards on the table about the finances. As well as offering to end the conservationship if Oher wishes. Usually you'd hear someone guilty say "talk to my lawyer" or try and fight back.
My question is if they are willing to end it now, why not end it years ago. My opinion is the dad is doing nothing but a PR campaign to help with their image. There is no way they only made $14k apiece for the movie. Oher is pretty specific with his figures so I would hope he has some sort of documentation to back that up.

On the flip side, I think Oher is doing all he can to make himself look like as big a victim as possible. Do I think the Tuohys took advantage of him in some way? Absolutely. Do I think they are smarmy as he is trying to make them out to be? Nope.

I will say also that there is just something about the dad that gives me Bernie Madoff conman vibes. I’m not sure what specifically but there is something there to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Get Bucket$
My question is if they are willing to end it now, why not end it years ago. My opinion is the dad is doing nothing but a PR campaign to help with their image. There is no way they only made $14k apiece for the movie. Oher is pretty specific with his figures so I would hope he has some sort of documentation to back that up.

On the flip side, I think Oher is doing all he can to make himself look like as big a victim as possible. Do I think the Tuohys took advantage of him in some way? Absolutely. Do I think they are smarmy as he is trying to make them out to be? Nope.

I will say also that there is just something about the dad that gives me Bernie Madoff conman vibes. I’m not sure what specifically but there is something there to me.

For the first part, it almost seems like it was something they didn't bother to change because it was seemingly, years later, not a big deal? That's just a thought I had, I'm not saying it's what I believe necessarily.

I feel like every parent makes decisions in the moment and so long as it's working, you just leave it and move on to the next responsibility. Did they maybe set this up with Oher, figured it was what was needed, and never felt the need to reassess it?

Just not sure what this already-rich family had to gain by taking in a kid from the hood. Even if they thought he MIGHT be able to play college football, they'd have no way of knowing he'd be an NFL player or have a movie about him. The movie wouldn't work if he was your average black-kid-adopted-by-white-family.. they needed the NFL aspect of this, and there was no way of knowing that would ever come to fruition.

If the family is guilty of anything.. it's probably being white-apologists, adopting a black kid so they can feel better about themselves. Even Sandra Bullocks character in the MOVIE gave me that vibe.

For the first part, it almost seems like it was something they didn't bother to change because it was seemingly, years later, not a big deal? That's just a thought I had, I'm not saying it's what I believe necessarily.

I feel like every parent makes decisions in the moment and so long as it's working, you just leave it and move on to the next responsibility. Did they maybe set this up with Oher, figured it was what was needed, and never felt the need to reassess it?

Just not sure what this already-rich family had to gain by taking in a kid from the hood. Even if they thought he MIGHT be able to play college football, they'd have no way of knowing he'd be an NFL player or have a movie about him. The movie wouldn't work if he was your average black-kid-adopted-by-white-family.. they needed the NFL aspect of this, and there was no way of knowing that would ever come to fruition.

If the family is guilty of anything.. it's probably being white-apologists, adopting a black kid so they can feel better about themselves. Even Sandra Bullocks character in the MOVIE gave me that vibe.
They knew he would play college football. He was already a top recruit by the time they got involved.

They knew he would play college football. He was already a top recruit by the time they got involved.

But being a college player doesn't necessarily mean anything for making it to the NFL, even if he was a borderline top20 recruit.

Do we think that this already-rich family saw Oher, a kid who could barely pass grade school coming from such a poor and neglected background, and thought "he could be our ticket to an NFL payday?".. idk, just doesn't seem like something that's likely to pan out. I can't see the family thinking this was a even a realistic scenario.

No idea what their true intentions were in taking him in, but I don't think it was the NFL or some movie deal..

But being a college player doesn't necessarily mean anything for making it to the NFL, even if he was a borderline top20 recruit.

Do we think that this already-rich family saw Oher, a kid who could barely pass grade school coming from such a poor and neglected background, and thought "he could be our ticket to an NFL payday?".. idk, just doesn't seem like something that's likely to pan out. I can't see the family thinking this was a even a realistic scenario.

No idea what their true intentions were in taking him in, but I don't think it was the NFL or some movie deal..
Whether or not it was their intention, the NFL and movie deal happened. Their intention in the beginning isn’t of interest. It’s their intention with the movie and conservatorship that is of interest if the allegations are true. Greed can make even the wealthiest of people do some pretty terrible things. It remains to be seen if that is the Tuohys or Oher in this case.

Guessing dude blew all nfl his earnings. Pretty pathetic imo for him to air all this out in the open.

Plus didn't the family make like 100s of millions selling their fast food franchises...im really sure they were banking on a teenage prospect to take them to the promised land
according to google he is worth at least 16 million and just doesn't appreciate them tricking him and ripping him off over the movie rights. Google could be wrong (lol, I'm not an idiot) but it does sound like he got ****ed. For those that say they were too rich to rip someone off, you obviously haven't dealt with rich people much.

I’m kind of intrigued that the conservatorship is still in place. I can see why they did it originally; it basically makes the family his guardian which would help in medial issues, some normal financial stuff, etc.

But that is primarily set up for people who are unable to take care of themselves. Yet Oher never fought it over the last 17 years or so.
Conservatorship doesn't affect medical issues. Only money.

This is the key fact imo. He had all this time to complain yet never did. Never disputed any part of the story either.

He probably could've got more out of it at the time, but had his NFL money. So to the extent it was a poor decision, it was his poor decision.

Let's not forget too, be definitely gained brand awareness in addition to the straight payment.

Definitely sounds like he's out of money and down to desperation
Actually, part of his complaint is that because the movie portrayed him as an idiot, which he is not, teams didn't want to interview him or sign him because they assumed he had such a learning disability or low IQ. So his complaint, which I'm not vouching for, is that he lost brand awareness because everyone thought he was a dipshit.

Singer also accused Oher of threatening the Tuohys that he would "plant a negative story about them in the press unless they paid him $15 million."

This follows remarks made by Sean "SJ" Tuohy Jr., the biological son of Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy, who suggested during an interview with Barstool Sports on Monday that text messages between Oher and the family allegedly showed that he may have known, at least as early as 2020, that he was not legally adopted.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mich...t-negative-story-tuohy-family-attorney-claims
Not sure your point on the 2020 date when he might have known. In Kentucky, fraud has a 5 year statute of limitations. Looks like Mississippi's is 3 years. Maybe that is why he is doing this now.

My takes and I reserve the right to change my mind with new information:
  • The conservatorship was set up to truly help Oher and allowed the Tuohys to be his legal guardian while he was in high school and college. So this was above board.
  • Whether Oher thought he was adopted or not, he got to live with this family and they supported him through high school and college. So throughout this point there's no difference to Oher. And it's not like they were profiting off of him at all during this time (there was no movie yet).
  • The Tuouhys seem to have been greedy in terms of how they split the proceeds of the film. The 1/5 to Oher was BS. While not contractually required, it should have been truly 50-50.
  • I can understand why Oher is pissed about the film proceeds, but I'm not quite sure he has a case. I also think he's being a bit ungrateful for what they did for him.
@TCurtis75 - does that make me racist?
This is incorrect. There are guardians and there are conservators. You can be appointed both. A guardian basically means you are their parent, even if over 18 and they have a handicap. A conservator means they handle your money.

Again I could be wrong, but giving someone POA is not even close to the same as conservatorship.

Conservatorship much like guardianship means the conservatoree can’t enter a contract without conservator signature.

There are a lot less restrictive options out there, but in the event you are really trying to protect a person these are the best options stopping them from “screwing” themselves.
You are wrong on this. A conservator is worse than a POA for financial purposes. A conservator can make decisions you disagree with. It does not require your agreement. A POA can be revoke by ripping it in half. A conservatorship requires a judge to remove it.

Yeah, it's interesting that this is still in place for him. Usually this is for adults who have a mental handicap.

I can see why you'd do it for an 18-year old you want to watch out for while he's in college, but to keep this in place at age 37 is nuts.

Further, a judge could revoke that ANY time Oher wanted.
That is the point of his claim. He thought he was adopted, not that they were his conservators. So, while he thought they were helping with his finances because they were his parents (adopted), they weren't. He is saying, right or wrong, that when they became conservators they told him that the papers were adoption papers to make him their son.

You are wrong on this. A conservator is worse than a POA for financial purposes. A conservator can make decisions you disagree with. It does not require your agreement. A POA can be revoke by ripping it in half. A conservatorship requires a judge to remove it.

You made my point. Thanks.

I would like a lawyer to weight in on this, but wouldn't this be outright criminal fraud? Even if he were under a conservatorship, they can't sign his name for him right?
As a conservator, that is exactly what they can do. He has filed this claim saying that it was fraud, at least civilly, but as conservator, you get to make all financial decisions for the ward.

It’s not my responsibility to fix the way you take something. Your perception is on you. If you want to take something I say wrong, just own it and move on.

All I know is what I saw in the movie, which could be factual or not, but with that said, my question is this:
How many meals, shoes, clothes, tutors etc. did the Tuohy's spend on Oher, and would he have gone to college, and the NFL without their involvement?

I find it hard to believe an already rich family screwed over the kid they took in simply to make some extra bucks off a movie.

And even if the races were reversed, my first instinct would be to say Oher should find a little more gratitude.
On this board, we constantly complain about a players "handlers" who, at least with overseas kids, are wealthy people, that seek to get wealthier by exploiting young athletes that may make it pro and get big contracts. Why does no one think (which I don't know if it is true or not, but think it is possible) that the Tuohy's exploited him? The movie makes it look like they found him and took him to the private school. He was already at the private school when they started having him stay with them. Someone else got him in the school. We bitch on here all the time about people that see a kid with no parents that is great in sports and someone takes advantage of them. I don't know if that happened here, but it kind of smells like it.

Actually, part of his complaint is that because the movie portrayed him as an idiot, which he is not, teams didn't want to interview him or sign him because they assumed he had such a learning disability or low IQ. So his complaint, which I'm not vouching for, is that he lost brand awareness because everyone thought he was a dipshit.

His complaint says alot of things. Doesn't make them true. He definitely gained brand awareness through the movie. That's undeniable. The NFL intelligence tests sort out the intelligence for the teams.

He was a first round pick for crying out loud

The author of the Blind Side book seems to be backing the Touhy side of the story. He notes that only the Hollywood folks made millions from the movie and not him, Oher or the Touhy's. He also says Oher refused to take his royalty checks from the studio after a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
The author of the Blind Side book seems to be backing the Touhy side of the story. He notes that only the Hollywood folks made millions from the movie and not him, Oher or the Touhy's. He also says Oher refused to take his royalty checks from the studio after a while.

I’m not saying the author is lying but he is and has been friends with the Tuohys for years including before writing the book. It isn’t surprising that he would take their side. The court case will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I mean, it does also seem VERY odd that the Touhy family only made like $15k each off the movie. A movie that made hundreds of millions. Maybe it's true that none of them got much for the story?

Last edited:
Reactions: Freetaxreturn
I just saw a Michael Ohr ad on youtube pushing his latest book. Surprisingly, it shows them all as one big happy family.

His real parents failed to make the ad.

I did not realize that this is his third book.

What would his story be if not for the Tuohy's?

Against all odds, black guy makes it in the NFL...Part III?

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I mean, it does also seem VERY odd that the Touhy family only made like $15k each off the movie. A movie that made hundreds of millions. Maybe it's true that none of them got much for the story?

What's odd is there would be any surprise that Hollywood f'd someone over to make millions off of a movie.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Unflattering reports about the Tuohys are coming out from those in Memphis who have interacted with them. May not mean anything for the case but certainly adds some additional questions about their character.

Unflattering reports about the Tuohys are coming out from those in Memphis who have interacted with them. May not mean anything for the case but certainly adds some additional questions about their character.

🙄

The figure that you are quoting is for the initial movie rights for the book. The author, Oher and the Touhy's then got royalty checks based on a small piece the profits. These totaled several hundred thousand but not millions as is alleged. This according to the movie studio.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT