ADVERTISEMENT

The 2017-18 Kentucky Wildcats

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
Well, next year is here...and I guess we got until October to figure out the roster.

Right now Monk and Fox are out..sure fire top 10 picks. Bam is a physical freak and a late first rounder that will impress at the combine...so he's gone too. Dom, Willis, and Mulder are graduating.

Diallo, Washington, Richards, Vanderbilt, Green, and Alexander are for sure coming in to play. We can assume Humphries and Tai are back.

Bamba and Knox are still big targets. Briscoe is leaning towards going, Wenyen is back probably, Sacha is a wildcard.

Green is the only shooter we have next year. I think we need Briscoe to come back or some sort of transfer/juco to add some scoring. The frontline looks deep.

Reactions: d2atTech
I think next year is a one of those years where they struggle in season. Just going to be too young. SEC looks better next season. Who knows what comes in March but we may have a difficult road because we may have a low seed.

I think next year is a WIDE open year.

Duke will probably be around where we are right now, Kansas loses a lot, Louisville's whole team depends on Mitchell returning, UNC will probably lose a lot too.

I don't see a big amount of "top tier" teams. Next year can be a year where we can "out talent" a lot of teams. Add Bamba and Briscoe returns I believe we have the most talented team in the country.

Need Briscoe to stay. Otherwise, we will have a lot of growing pains. His experience and leadership would be huge.
Next season the SEC conference is going to be tough. I expect the team to have some struggles because of being such a young roster. Not to mention, other conference schools have some top ranked players coming in and returning.

Last edited:
Posters who say we won't be good next year are talking nonsense. We don't even know our roster or other teams roster. A lot of teams will be losing a lot talent and the recruiting process isn't over so still players to add and including transfers and juco players. So let's wait a few months before we start jumping off the ship already. Good lawd relax and be pissed off about this year before talking down on a phantom team next year.

You like a team with not much skill? How will we put the ball in the hole?

Not much skill? Green and Diallo are both very skilled players. If we get Bamba, it's probably short development for him to have interior offense.

Not sure how skilled the other players are, but we also have Humphries and SKJ, who are skilled just not physically ready.

Don't focus on shooting too much. We had great shooters last two years, and we actually performed worse than 2014 or 2015, when we really didn't have great shooters. There are many things more important than shooting in collegiate level.

Reactions: BassProCat
You like a team with not much skill? How will we put the ball in the hole?

For the first time in a very long time we will have multiple wings that can attack the basket. That's one of the most vitally important things to have in basketball. With the addition of Bamba we would have a dominating rim protector. I think Diallo is going to be a stud.

Offensively this team will be a work in progress but it has the potential to be an incredible defensive team which alone will make us a top tier team.

Even mentioning the NIT is an overreactionary joke.

For the first time in a very long time we will have multiple wings that can attack the basket. That's one of the most vitally important things to have in basketball. With the addition of Bamba we would have a dominating rim protector. I think Diallo is going to be a stud.

Offensively this team will be a work in progress but it has the potential to be an incredible defensive team which alone will make us a top tier team.

It's damn insulting to me. Fu*king bulletin board material haha

Next year's team looks big and athletic...but shooters are severely lacking. UK will lose Monk, Willis, Hawkins, Mulder and Fox. That's all of UK's 3 point threats this year with no one to replace them.

Vanderbilt is the guy. Watch and see. I have a feeling about him. He will be the surprise main guy.
Vanderbilt and Washingtons team.

I really like Vanderbilts game and think he will be a stud next year but Quade will be the calming force on this team. Kid has that demeanor about him.

It's all speculation at this point. All we know for sure is that next year's team, as currently constructed, has NO ONE who hangs his hat on shooting.

That is a major concern for now.

Reactions: Soupbean

I will enjoy seeing a SF with SF size. I'm just a little butt hurt and wore out right now. I'm sure it'll pass.

Reactions: kydmb99
People are grossly overlooking Hamidou Diallo. That kid has a chance to be the best scorer Cal has had at UK. He may not shoot the ball like Ray Allen, but he finds ways to put the ball in the basket.
I would caution you before saying that considering we had Monk and Murray the last 2 seasons, he could be one of the best we have had but Monk/Murray are another level.

I hope I'm wrong but without any surprise returns I think we are closer to the NIT next year than a final four.

No way, we go into every season expecting to be at least a reasonable contender for a Final Four. That's the right attitude to have for both the players and us fans alike.

True it won't always turn out that way *cough*2009/2013*cough* but that's not really the point.

Any chance Bam comes back? Anyone know his personal circumstance - financial? His family I should say.

High Hopes. The UK fan's consolation. Which of Cal's recruiting classes has actually lived up to it's MacDonald's hype?

I think next year is a one of those years where they struggle in season. Just going to be too young. SEC looks better next season. Who knows what comes in March but we may have a difficult road because we may have a low seed.
I don't think wins/losses will be an overwhelming factor. It seems that the Wildcat's always have one of or the most difficult road no matter what seed we are.

Well, next year is here...and I guess we got until October to figure out the roster.

Right now Monk and Fox are out..sure fire top 10 picks. Bam is a physical freak and a late first rounder that will impress at the combine...so he's gone too. Dom, Willis, and Mulder are graduating.

Diallo, Washington, Richards, Vanderbilt, Green, and Alexander are for sure coming in to play. We can assume Humphries and Tai are back.

Bamba and Knox are still big targets. Briscoe is leaning towards going, Wenyen is back probably, Sacha is a wildcard.

Green is the only shooter we have next year. I think we need Briscoe to come back or some sort of transfer/juco to add some scoring. The frontline looks deep.

Can anybody shoot the ball?....the most basic thing of the game

I posted this question in another thread and probably should've posted it here instead. Does anyone know anything about guard M.J. Walker out of Georgia? He's a 5 star (# 20 on Rivals) and he's 6'4". I don't know anything about him. I'm just curious why we're not in on him at all considering we're going to be short on guards next year. Does he have any off-court or academic issues? Considering he's from Georgia, I would assume he would have some interest in us, but maybe not. Just looking for information.

Last edited:
Can anybody shoot the ball?....the most basic thing of the game
I think Diallo is a D-Wade/DeRozan type scorer. They are elite drivers with decent mid range shots, but lacking from 3. As seen, Wenyen has a good shot and hit a lot of open jumpers this year early on in the season. I think an offseason of training could do wonder for him with not only his shot selection, but his defensive presence. Green is a good shooter from all accounts. I think he will end up being the go to guy if they need a 3 pointer.

Briscoe is the interesting piece to look at on the team. He went and got evaluated as a prospect and really worked on his weaknesses. His 3 pt % went from 13.5% all the way up to 28.8% this season. His overall FG % went from 43.9% up to 47%. He shot over 50% from the floor this year. I would really like to see him next year as a junior leader with the ball in his hands more.

Of course, I think we were playing our best this year when the defensive intensity picked up its pace. Monk was struggling, but we were playing great defense and that really made up for the lack of shooting.

If we get Briscoe, Wenyen, SKJ to return at minimum and get Bamba we'll be the best team in the country by the end of the year.
The defense will be outstanding.

Start:
Briscoe
Green
Diallo
Wenyen
Bamba

Or

Briscoe
Diallo
Wenyen
Bamba
SKJ

Nobody will want to see us.

I watched a documentary on Diallo and I can assure you he can shoot and he is a dynamic dunker. We will be good and have shooters. IMHO

I would caution you before saying that considering we had Monk and Murray the last 2 seasons, he could be one of the best we have had but Monk/Murray are another level.
I agree, just not expecting Diallo to have the impact those guys had. Derozan would be a good comparison, don't think he could shoot the three real well in college. Just feel like this team will be super frustrating because of lack of shooting.

I watched a documentary on Diallo and I can assure you he can shoot and he is a dynamic dunker. We will be good and have shooters. IMHO

No offense but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

He shot about 20% from three in high school and was even worse than that in AAU play.

I hope you're right. Did this documentary include the words 'mixtape' or 'highlight' in its title?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT