ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Down Big At Home

The proper response can only be: shaking my damn head.

To think they played us so well in our house. I know that one game does not define a team... but a top 5 caliber team simply should not play like that.

ou has very good size and athleticism at the 3 and 4. they're a solid team and i was impressed with them when they first came on espn a few weeks ago. they are well coached.

I am assuming/hoping that they are struggling due to trying to get used to having Taylor back. We shall see, it could be another Rick Barne's special.

To be honest, I have not really been that impressed with any of the teams we beat OOC of late. UL struggling with a mediocre Wake, KU crapping the bed at Temple (but solid win against UNLV yesterday and they own the Big XII as we know), UCLA sucks, may not even make the NIT, Providence is a probable NIT team team, UNC is just above average, not going to beat anyone good it appears, and now Texas tonight.

I still have to believe UL, Texas and KU will all be 4 seeds or better in the tourney though with all of the above said.

OU has a couple of head scratching losses, but they're a good team. Good enough to make a second weekend in the NCAAs.

I'm not letting this wreck my opinion of Texas. Not until they have other games this terrible.

It's January. This is when Texas implodes and Rick Barnes takes his name out of contention for ......

Even if Texas loses big tonight I'd rather not face them again.

All I will say is that if I were a coach, I would pray not to see Texas or Gonzaga in my bracket regardless of seed. On a neutral court, I could see Texas or Gonzaga give Duke or Virginia all they want and then some. Honestly, you could probably throw Utah in there as well because I don't think anyone will be to crazy about facing them later this year with Wright tearing it up.

44-20 with 15 minutes left.
dead.r191677.gif

Why are people bringing up RPI? Unless we have some kind of inexplicable collapse, we will be the #1 overall seed. RPI will mean nothing.

The thing about this is .... Rick Barnes. He always gets some good players, studs, super studs even. But then they're being coached by..... Rick Barnes. That's just it. Even when they look dangerous and can be / could go deep in the NCAAT (like this year, without question, with that team) they're being coached by ..... Rick Barnes.

Somewhere, in the back of my head, all season long, I've had this nagging thought about Texas. That they're being coached by .... Rick Barnes. This past week, now that Big12 conference play is on, I had a huge surge of "time for them to get over this ..... Rick Barnes" malaise and be a good team, or fall back into that "being a Rick Barnes coached team" syndrome.

Surely you guys, or most of you guys and gals had that nibbling, itchy feeling like what I've said here.... (and some of you have said so in this thread, so I know it's not just me)

Sure, sometimes getting a quality player throws off the chemistry and takes awhile to adjust for the team. Sure, you can't put too much in a performance like this, even on their own home court. It's just ONE GAME. But the opposite side of the coin is that it's OU, a BIG rival for them. And then there's that ...... Rick Barnes "thing."

And I will also say this, although I don't want you all to throw me under the bus for even thinking this, cause it's just gonna have to fall under the category of "just one of those things the 'Runt' says..." kinda' deals. But here goes :

Kansas losing bigtime to us and then the ginormous blowout @Temple. It kinda' takes away some of that good feeling I got out of our big win over them, and puts it a little more in the category of, maybe it wasn't all THAT great.... (?) and then we've got the Louisville win. Felt good. They're a good team, like KU, but what if they fall down hard more than expected in the ACC? That would take some of the luster off that win for me too. Then Texas, losing like this at home against (admittedly a good) OU team. But losing like that to a rival on your home court. Did I mention it takes a little luster off that win for me?

UCLA never had the feel like it was going to be a luster-like win by season's end. I'm not entirely sure of Providence, either. And then we got UNC*** to consider. They don't look all that great, either.

So for me, maybe (dare I even think to SAY this out loud???) the luster off some of those wins is a little less than I thought it would?

OK, so just forget my rambling. That's what it is. Those are the best OOC schedule and wins in a complete package as any team in the country. (sanity coming back into my head) Too many cancer meds and pain meds, and my head's hurtin' a lil' too much tonight. I shoulda' called it an evening after the UNC*** and IU losses.

But, ouch, Texas. Please don't let Rick Barnes do what he's done to good Texas teams in the past. Just, please, don't do it. You guys are too good to let that happen. I'll chalk it up as a bad night and you will still dethrone KU for the Big12 title this year.

The B12 and ACC are just going to beat each other up. Those conferences are stacked. Now, I didn't think it would be this bad, but...

runt, you have cancer? My aunt has cancer. Get well, brotha.

Thank you Mandu. It's a brain tumor, inoperable, and out of remission, but it's ok. I take meds that keep it growing VERY slowly, mostly in check, for the most part. I wish they coulda' got it years ago when they operated, but the rest of it would just plain pretty much kill me if they tried. (nick my brain artery going to by brain, and I'd be a gonner' for sure, so not even an attempt to get the rest that's been lurking up there)

I always appreciate everyone's good wishes when they voice them. I wish the best to you and your family, 'specially your aunt.

This Texas loss is a head scratcher for me. I really hope this isn't the beginning of another epic Rick Barnes collapse for that team. I like 'em. Hope they get a good seed and draw in the NCAAT (away from UK) so they can do some damage and redeem Barnes' rep as a coach a little bit.

Originally posted by MegaBlue05:
It's January. This is when Texas implodes and Rick Barnes takes his name out of contention for ......
Yes, this is the time of year Texas enters that egg laying mode !

they lost to Stanford and barely beat uconn. have they played any other top 25 teams besides UK and Oklahoma?

Thought this Texas team might be in the hunt. Didn't see this coming, especially at home.

Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:
70-49 at home. The Barnes effect.
I sure hope that isn't the Barnes effect coming out for the rest of the season, SAG. I really hope not, for their sake. If he ruins this team, I am NEVER going to believe he can get anything done at Texas. EVER. (and I'm not saying I ever did to begin with)

If he can screw up a team like this, with that kind of roster, AGAIN ?!?!?!?

JEEZ !
rolleyes.r191677.gif

I was thinking the same thing KYBallCoach...definitely not the same team.

Originally posted by KYBallCoach:
This for sure is not the same Texas team we played
Texas also had 12 less shot attempts against us. Texas went 19-29 at the line against us vs. 7-8 against OU. Seems they didn't play inside much like they did against us. If Texas had played like this against UK it would have been a 30+ blowout.
This post was edited on 1/6 7:38 AM by wldktz8

Two words...Rick Barnes.
Dude has good talent all the time and does nothing with it.

I argued with a couple posters after the Texas game earlier this year that kept saying Barnes isnt as bad as people though he was and one poster even went as far as saying that Barnes is a good coach. Wow

Originally posted by runt#69:
Thank you Mandu. It's a brain tumor, inoperable, and out of remission, but it's ok. I take meds that keep it growing VERY slowly, mostly in check, for the most part. I wish they coulda' got it years ago when they operated, but the rest of it would just plain pretty much kill me if they tried. (nick my brain artery going to by brain, and I'd be a gonner' for sure, so not even an attempt to get the rest that's been lurking up there)

I always appreciate everyone's good wishes when they voice them. I wish the best to you and your family, 'specially your aunt.

This Texas loss is a head scratcher for me. I really hope this isn't the beginning of another epic Rick Barnes collapse for that team. I like 'em. Hope they get a good seed and draw in the NCAAT (away from UK) so they can do some damage and redeem Barnes' rep as a coach a little bit.
Dude you have no idea how sorry I am to hear about that. My little sister who's 31 has blastoma and has had two surgeries. She was given 18 months but she's going on 4 years now. Best wishes and hope you beat this thing.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:
I am assuming/hoping that they are struggling due to trying to get used to having Taylor back. We shall see, it could be another Rick Barne's special.

To be honest, I have not really been that impressed with any of the teams we beat OOC of late. UL struggling with a mediocre Wake, KU crapping the bed at Temple (but solid win against UNLV yesterday and they own the Big XII as we know), UCLA sucks, may not even make the NIT, Providence is a probable NIT team team, UNC is just above average, not going to beat anyone good it appears, and now Texas tonight.

I still have to believe UL, Texas and KU will all be 4 seeds or better in the tourney though with all of the above said.
That's why I've been saying that our team is very special. You are describing 'parity' in the NCAA. It's actually a very normal thing. It's just that this year UK is an anomaly - we are a SUPERB team head and shoulders above everybody else. We are living in a surreal season where we always win easily and are having trouble comprehending why the other teams, even the ranked ones, seem so NORMAL.

ADVERTISEMENT