ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Down Big At Home

Originally posted by runt#69:
The thing about this is .... Rick Barnes. He always gets some good players, studs, super studs even. But then they're being coached by..... Rick Barnes. That's just it. Even when they look dangerous and can be / could go deep in the NCAAT (like this year, without question, with that team) they're being coached by ..... Rick Barnes.

Somewhere, in the back of my head, all season long, I've had this nagging thought about Texas. That they're being coached by .... Rick Barnes. This past week, now that Big12 conference play is on, I had a huge surge of "time for them to get over this ..... Rick Barnes" malaise and be a good team, or fall back into that "being a Rick Barnes coached team" syndrome.

Surely you guys, or most of you guys and gals had that nibbling, itchy feeling like what I've said here.... (and some of you have said so in this thread, so I know it's not just me)

Sure, sometimes getting a quality player throws off the chemistry and takes awhile to adjust for the team. Sure, you can't put too much in a performance like this, even on their own home court. It's just ONE GAME. But the opposite side of the coin is that it's OU, a BIG rival for them. And then there's that ...... Rick Barnes "thing."

And I will also say this, although I don't want you all to throw me under the bus for even thinking this, cause it's just gonna have to fall under the category of "just one of those things the 'Runt' says..." kinda' deals. But here goes :

Kansas losing bigtime to us and then the ginormous blowout @Temple. It kinda' takes away some of that good feeling I got out of our big win over them, and puts it a little more in the category of, maybe it wasn't all THAT great.... (?) and then we've got the Louisville win. Felt good. They're a good team, like KU, but what if they fall down hard more than expected in the ACC? That would take some of the luster off that win for me too. Then Texas, losing like this at home against (admittedly a good) OU team. But losing like that to a rival on your home court. Did I mention it takes a little luster off that win for me?

UCLA never had the feel like it was going to be a luster-like win by season's end. I'm not entirely sure of Providence, either. And then we got UNC*** to consider. They don't look all that great, either.

So for me, maybe (dare I even think to SAY this out loud???) the luster off some of those wins is a little less than I thought it would?

OK, so just forget my rambling. That's what it is. Those are the best OOC schedule and wins in a complete package as any team in the country. (sanity coming back into my head) Too many cancer meds and pain meds, and my head's hurtin' a lil' too much tonight. I shoulda' called it an evening after the UNC*** and IU losses.

But, ouch, Texas. Please don't let Rick Barnes do what he's done to good Texas teams in the past. Just, please, don't do it. You guys are too good to let that happen. I'll chalk it up as a bad night and you will still dethrone KU for the Big12 title this year.
Not really a good take on the situation.

I did the same thing...but there are not THAT many teams that are "elite" this year. We have several wins over good teams. You cant think like that...who else is there? What other teams have wins as impressive as ours? All the top teams have struggled somewhat with certain teams. You can say Duke isnt that good because outside if Wisconsin they really have no good wins. See how easy that is?

Originally posted by Prime MF:
Originally posted by runt#69:
Thank you Mandu. It's a brain tumor, inoperable, and out of remission, but it's ok. I take meds that keep it growing VERY slowly, mostly in check, for the most part. I wish they coulda' got it years ago when they operated, but the rest of it would just plain pretty much kill me if they tried. (nick my brain artery going to by brain, and I'd be a gonner' for sure, so not even an attempt to get the rest that's been lurking up there)

I always appreciate everyone's good wishes when they voice them. I wish the best to you and your family, 'specially your aunt.

This Texas loss is a head scratcher for me. I really hope this isn't the beginning of another epic Rick Barnes collapse for that team. I like 'em. Hope they get a good seed and draw in the NCAAT (away from UK) so they can do some damage and redeem Barnes' rep as a coach a little bit.
Dude you have no idea how sorry I am to hear about that. My little sister who's 31 has blastoma and has had two surgeries. She was given 18 months but she's going on 4 years now. Best wishes and hope you beat this thing.
My daughter had (and beat) a ganglioneuroblastoma when she was about 5. Has caused her a few problems along the way and she is still dealing with it. I am so sad to hear stories like your of those who are dealing with disease, but it makes me count my blessings that my little girl did (and is doing) so well. My prayers are with you.

This is a perfect example of kids being temperamental and inconsistent. Look at UConn last year - they got boatraced 3 times by Louisville, needed a near miracle vs. St. Joseph's in the first round, then put it all together and won it all.

Sometimes it is matchups, sometimes the shots aren't falling, sometimes guys get hot, etc. I think our roster composition is in the best shape of anyone's to overcome such variances, since we have 9 guys who can legitimately be looked at as high level D1 starters. The Harrisons had a bad game vs Louisville - it happens. For most teams, if 2 guys at that level have off games, they lose. We simply had the depth to overcome it. I don't think anyone else in the country can claim near that depth.

We played very poorly vs both Texas and Columbia and still won both games by double digits. We went on the road, the first time for this team, into a hostile environment against another very good, well coached team, and won comfortably.

Any results common opponents have vs other competition is inconsequential to how I feel about our team. I still believe we are head and shoulders above everyone else in the country, even Duke. If Texas and Kansas go winless in the Big 12, I will still feel that way.

Motivation is difficult to gauge and the reason why many people have trouble predicting games . At this point I think their game with us should be thrown out when factoring in Texas chances of beating other teams . Texas players wanted to show what they could do against UK and played as hard or harder than they will against anyone all year .

The same could be said for other opponents , they give more effort against UK and their performance in those games should be discounted for an accurate assessment of what is standard play for them . I thought Texas was better based off of their performance against us , offensively they are challenged .

There are major differences in our wins vs. other teams wins:

Temple beat KU by lighting up the 3
UK beat down KU by solid defense

Utah beat UCLA in Utah
We beat UCLA on a neutral court and held them scoreless for the first 8 minutes. UK more than likely could have held them to under 20 points for the game if they had wanted.

UK held KU and UCLA to a combined 19 points for 40 minutes of play.

UK beat Texas by 12 at home in a heavily whistled game.
OU allowed 12 more shot attempts than UK did.
Texas was 19-29 from the line against UK and 7-8 against OU.

There are big differences in our wins versus other teams. UK has been pretty consistent in beating teams like this. Utah lost to KU by 3 at KU and San Diego St. Oklahoma has losses to Creighton and Wisconsin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT