ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M Football Fans

giphy.gif

To clarify, you’re trashing UK bball fans and Stoops (as a crappy hire)?

Care more about their program than Kentucky Basketball fans do. At least they revolted together to stop a crap hire.

Yup, and they ended up with a much less successful coach.

Pope could be brilliant here or he could fail, but he deserves our support

Care more about their program than Kentucky Basketball fans do. At least they revolted together to stop a crap hire.
It wasn't their fans, it was the A&M boosters that just forked over a TON of money to get rid of Jimbo!!!

ALL of the UK Boosters were behind the hiring of Pope. Heck, we have already raised more NIL money in ONE FREAKIN DAY than we had the previous 3 years!!!!!!

Mark Pope may not be a top tier coach right now, but with his passion, intelligence, leadership skills, basketball savy, being a TRUE BLUE Wildcat and a former captain of an NCAA Champion at UK, I will give him EVERY BIT of my support until he proves he not up to the job. But right now, I have confidence that he can bring UK back to the top!!!

So NO, this situation is NOTHING like Stoops and A&M!! And like @UKfan215 said above, I would rather have Coach Stoops than the dude they hired!!!

Last edited:
You want to run out Pope, fine. But who do we get. Donovan turned us down again. We’d likely have to wait a week anyways. Oats? Lloyd? Pearl?
He wouldn’t be in the top 20. Lots of better options. Doesn’t matter though. That ship has sailed. Program is already tanked and no one cares. Loved him while he was here, but that doesn’t mean he should be coach at UK. He’s not qualified. And it’s not fair to him.

If he gets great assistants and could get great recruits and players from the transfer portal and build a team in the top 5 preseason than sure I might change my mind. Would still have huge hesitations considering he has 0 tournament wins and known for double digit losses.

The bad thing is that we’re going to have a bunch of 1-3 stars that’s not going to move the needle. He’s going to lose the current players. He’s going to lose the current recruits. The reality is we’re going to have a crap team that’s going to get ran out of the gym by Duke. Arkansas will beat the hell out of us with our former team.

Everyone will see and be losing their shit as it happens. I’m losing my shit now because it’s so clear where we’re headed. Indiana fans justified and got excited about all their crap hires. We’re going down the same road and we’re so excited about it we’re supporting it with a pep rally.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 59coop and Warf2012
He wouldn’t be in the top 20. Lots of better options. Doesn’t matter though. That ship has sailed. Program is already tanked and no one cares. Loved him while he was here, but that doesn’t mean he should be coach at UK. He’s not qualified. And it’s not fair to him.

If he gets great assistants and could get great recruits and players from the transfer portal and build a team in the top 5 preseason than sure I might change my mind. Would still have huge hesitations considering he has 0 tournament wins and known for double digit losses.

The bad thing is that we’re going to have a bunch of 1-3 stars that’s not going to move the needle. He’s going to lose the current players. He’s going to lose the current recruits. The reality is we’re going to have a crap team that’s going to get ran out of the gym by Duke. Arkansas will beat the hell out of us with our former team.

Everyone will see and be losing their shit as it happens. I’m losing my shit now because it’s so clear where we’re headed. Indiana fans justified and got excited about all their crap hires. We’re going down the same road and we’re so excited about it we’re supporting it with a pep rally.
We’ve had one hire post-Cal. We’re not Indiana

Why are people acting like the last 5 years haven't sucked? It's not just the early exits... we aren't fun to watch. If you just want to brag about recruiting rankings and how good player X looks 4 years after leaving school... Go cheer for Arky. LOL.

I remember when winning in March was considered the goal. I remember when it was fun to watch bball.

Why are people acting like the last 5 years haven't sucked? It's not just the early exits... we aren't fun to watch. If you just want to brag about recruiting rankings and how good player X looks 4 years after leaving school... Go cheer for Arky. LOL.

I remember when winning in March was considered the goal. I remember when it was fun to watch bball.
This is what worries me. Our coach has never won in March.

Reactions: catman111
They didn’t physically stop the hire. Stoops saw how psycho they were being and pulled out. The offer wasn’t withdrawn. This is the very reason why Hurley and drew, and Jay W said no thanks.

They didn’t physically stop the hire. Stoops saw how psycho they were being and pulled out. The offer wasn’t withdrawn. This is the very reason why Hurley and drew, and Jay W said no thanks.
That’s hilarious spin. They rioted over a bad hire. And we have accepted ours. Texas A&M closed the door and sent Stoops back to Lexington. Kentucky fans accepted him back with open arms.

So says the Cheeto stained fingered fan who is likely overweight watching games from his couch and acts like he understands the game. In other words, go find another program to root for.

They hired a guy from Duke with 2 years HC experience and an average record in a conference whose undefeated champ wasn't good enough to make the playoffs.

I was like just about everyone else on Thursday night when I first heard about the Pope hire. But Pope is one of us and now is leading our program, I fully back him and want him/UK to succeed and I hope he proves all of the doubters wrong.

My understanding is Drew was thought to likely say yes and didn't. We threw the bank at Hurley trying to buy the best coach and that failed fast. We reached out to Brad Stevens and Frank Vogel, both of whom said they wouldn't even talk about anything until the season ends (late June perhaps).

Donovan could have interest but turned us down twice and won't talk about things until his seasons ends (next week, maybe longer).

Mitch apparently was a hard no on considering Pearl or Beard so they were never on the table. Oats and Golden have personal reasons for staying put that makes them coming "impossible" according to Matt Jones.

It sounds like Mitch thought the chances of getting any of the NBA candidates was very slim and didn't want to wait a week or weeks or even months to get a likely "no" so he went with Pope now to get a team put together ASAP.

I have no idea if Donovan would have came here but I do think Mitch should have waited to find out. If he's a NO...then Pope is still there waiting if you want to go that route. At that point (assuming Oats/Golden/Pearl/Beard are off the table), going to Pope would have been a lot easier to swallow.

It wasn't their fans, it was the A&M boosters that just forked over a TON of money to get rid of Jimbo!!!

ALL of the UK Boosters were behind the hiring of Pope. Heck, we have already raised more NIL money in ONE FREAKIN DAY than we had the previous 3 years!!!!!!

Mark Pope may not be a top tier coach right now, but with his passion, intelligence, leadership skills, basketball savy, being a TRUE BLUE Wildcat and a former captain of an NCAA Champion at UK, I will give him EVERY BIT of my support until he proves he not up to the job. But right now, I have confidence that he can bring UK back to the top!!!

So NO, this situation is NOTHING like Stoops and A&M!! And like @UKfan215 said above, I would rather have Coach Stoops than the dude they hired!!!
THIS! ^👍👍

I don't think we can just Veruca Salt and/or just add water our way to infinite greatness and the more we try to the further away we will get from the lift being easier at Kentucky than anywhere else.

Eventually we would essentially be throwing Brinks trucks at warm bodies over and over in hopes of hitting on the lottery because that is all our patience and options could allow.

Short cuts too often being the longer paths be damned!

Too much drive thru and Amazon combined with no differentiation between exception and rule, I guess.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT