ADVERTISEMENT

SWEET 16 THREAD 3-28

The illini are probably sitting at home shaking their head. That's the thing about those in state battles though.

I will say this is some high-level defense on both ends though.

yeah that’s player control text book. feet not being set doesn’t matter. that’s the way it should be called. big call for osu still.

Really wanna see this Abmas kid. He’s been the talk here.
Abmas is a very good offensive player, but Coach Musselman has already seen him once and normally develops a solid defensive game plan to contain the best player and challenge others to score. I would anticipate high pressure, in his face defensive rotation of Davis, Notae, Sills and Tate to harass him the entire game. This has worked very well during the later part of the season, and I think McClung from Texas Tech was held to just 9 points. On the defensive end, Abmsas gets beat regularly and has trouble defending anyone.

Hogs win this one relatively easy.

Alot of the reason they are getting these kids to buy in and play as well oiled machines is because they are unheralded recruits. Same with loyola chicago in the discussion last Sunday on here. Not every coach can coach top egos and kids that know they will make money in a few months. If gonzaga starts landing 4/5 top kids a year we will see how that goes. As of right now they have gotten 2top players and everyone acts as if they have 10.
From around 2009-2014 scott drew was getting several top kids. He couldn't get much accomplished. Much like villanova had a group of guys that were great and won 2 titles off of them, I believe Baylor to be in this same mold. Making sweet 16's doesn't get the job done.

Having a system in which you have a chance every season to win a title isn't for everyone. It takes balls. Sure you will have seasons here n there that aren't great but having 3 out of 4 in the discussion for a title and playing for final 4 birth is what a blueblood program should be. Not being consistently mediocre like nova and baylor and Gonzaga has been up till this point
Reread what you posted and ask yourself "if all these schools are struggling to win with young players that have egos, then why the hell is Cal still trying to do it".

You said it yourself, all these teams are playing like well oiled machines, because they were unheralded recruits". Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. You need to have juniors and seniors to win titles in today's game. Freshmen make too many mistakes.

Also, nobody said Gonzaga had 10 5* kids, what I AM saying is, they are doing it right. His teams are always junior and senior laden, but now he's getting one top notch freshman to come in and mix in. That is the ideal roster make up for the players and team success.

Abmas is a very good offensive player, but Coach Musselman has already seen him once and normally develops a solid defensive game plan to contain the best player and challenge others to score. I would anticipate high pressure, in his face defensive rotation of Davis, Notae, Sills and Tate to harass him the entire game. This has worked very well during the later part of the season, and I think McClung from Texas Tech was held to just 9 points. On the defensive end, Abmsas gets beat regularly and has trouble defending anyone.

Good luck.

This game reminds me of some UK tourney games of the past, Oregon State is just bigger at every position. LC is having a tough time scoring and stopping them from getting 50/50 balls. They are good enough to keep it close but in the end it may come down to being physically outmatched.

I’m very interested in how Mussleman will have them prepared tonight , if they do well and go like final four Arkansas better pony up come cash cause he will be a hot commodity. Probably already is.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
This game reminds me of some UK tourney games of the past, Oregon State is just bigger at every position. LC is having a tough time scoring and stopping them from getting 50/50 balls. They are good enough to keep it close but in the end it may come down to being physically outmatched.
It seems like they have six players on defense and can spread their zone as far as they need to. This is why you really need shooters.

have to disagree with you on this

Cal has NEVER taken advantage of a dominant post player
He didn't with Cuz …..see the WVU loss as a perfect example
He didn't with Bam
He didn't with KAT...…...see the Wi loss as another perfect example

this STUPIDITY cost UK 2 NCAA titles

Cal has always been guard oriented, which is fine when you talent like Wall or Fox or even Ullis, but the decrease to Hagans & now Askew is too painful to watch. Can't have point guards that can't score even a little. That leads to 4 on 5 advantage for the defense
Kat was the sole reason we were ahead in the WI game. Maybe the last 4 minutes but he single handily kept us in that game .

I’m very interested in how Mussleman will have them prepared tonight , if they do well and go like final four Arkansas better pony up come cash cause he will be a hot commodity. Probably already is.
Coach Musselman is going to be offered a big raise and extension, probably up to at least 4 million per year for 5 years win or lose today. He loves Arkansas, his wife has family in the state, and there is plenty of money in NW Arkansas to pay him. Now if he wants to pursue another position, can't do much about that, but money won't be the reason.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Coach Musselman is going to be offered a big raise and extension, probably up to at least 4 million per year for 5 years win or lose today. He loves Arkansas, his wife has family in the state, and there is plenty of money in NW Arkansas to pay him. Now if he wants to pursue another position, can't do much about that, but money won't be the reason.
Do the Waltons donate to Arkansas? I would say they could afford anything. Like ever.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Oregon St and PAC12 are looking strong this tourney. Only a Covid season can make that happen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT