ADVERTISEMENT

9th straight Sweet 16 for Gonzaga

That really is a tremendous accomplishment for a tiny little Jesuit school located out in the middle of nowhere in a podunk low-revenue conference.

The sort of thing one wouldn’t have thought possible if it didn’t actually happen.

Raises an interesting point. Would you be satisfied with Few’s results over the last 15 years if it meant sacrificing a title? I always want the banner but the last five years have sucked… worth it?

Reactions: Fox2monk
It's pretty surprising that no larger school was able to pry Few out of Gonzaga. He's fully entrenched now and never leaving. But, I think it's weird he never wanted to sit at the big table. Give him some more resources, and Few probably has a title or two.

Raises an interesting point. Would you be satisfied with Few’s results over the last 15 years if it meant sacrificing a title? I always want the banner but the last five years have sucked… worth it?

The whole goal is to win a title so no, I doubt anyone on here would give up the 8th national title for better overall seasons. Few isn't dominating the sec like the whatever conference either.

It's pretty surprising that no larger school was able to pry Few out of Gonzaga. He's fully entrenched now and never leaving. But, I think it's weird he never wanted to sit at the big table. Give him some more resources, and Few probably has a title or two.
I believe the reason for that is his predecessor and former boss Dan Monson left Gonzaga after the 99 Elite 8 for Minnesota. Monson got fired at Minnesota and ended up at Long Beach State for 17 years.

Few had enough sense to not jump for just any conference job.

Last edited:
Few did a good job considering people were saying they may not make the tournament when we played them they got better and we got worse strange what a good coach can do
Yeah they was projected to be outside of the tournament when we played them.

He has done a great job yet again this year.

They haven't missed the ncaa tourney in 25 years either. Pretty impressive for a mid major. Shoot, they even own us.

Reactions: blubo
We have made just 4 S16’s over that same 9 year period, and none the past 4 years (3 of which were embarrassments).

But also if Few had been here, able to recruit better talent (than at Gonzaga), and able to give his team challenging games after December, don’t you think he might have had more 2nd and 3rd weekend success?

Reactions: chroix
We have made just 4 S16’s over that same 9 year period, and none the past 4 years (3 of which were embarrassments).

But also if Few had been here, able to recruit better talent (than at Gonzaga), and able to give his team challenging games after December, don’t you think he might have had more 2nd and 3rd weekend success?

For sure. Plus he innovated in a smarter way focusing on foreign talent which translates better to the modern game so maybe a lot better? Hard to say for sure but his results are solid.

Reactions: ArcticChar
Well there were a total of 4 Final fours with a NC and runner up in there. Plus 2-3 elite 8s.

Well there were a total of 4 Final fours with a NC and runner up in there. Plus 2-3 elite 8s.

Yep. I think on balance the fan base would be happier with Agee’s results than Calipari’s honestly. Probably be some grumbling about not winning it all at some point but all conjecture so who knows.

Shouldn’t reaching the Sweet 16 every year be a minimum expectation at UK? Right now that looks like the impossible dream.🤦‍♀️
Yes it should be, that’s a great achievement especially at a small school who supposedly doesn’t play anyone even though they beat our ass 2 years in a row.

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
I’d take the title and final fours probably but I think if Few were here with the extra recruits he could probably pull, he would eventually break thru. He did have a National runner up. The consistency would be amazing though. That’s what makes us UK, how great we have been over a long period of time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT