ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan ... Hearing good things

Mr. Swanigan : If your dream is the NBA there no other than Kentucky so it's time to commit and get started.

UK could use both Murray and Swanigan.

Cal said he wanted a tight 7-man rotation:

1. Ulis
2. Briscoe
3. Murray
4. Poythress
5. Labissiere
6. Lee
7. Swanigan

That's seven 5-star players to rotate in and out. Pretty balanced, good size. Great guards. Good shooting, good rebounding. Should be solid defensively.

There should be plenty of minutes to go around:

G Ulis(35)/Briscoe(5)
G Briscoe(30)/Murray(10)
G Murray(25)/Poythress(15)
F Swanigan(20)/Poythress(15)/Lee(5)
F Labissiere(25)/Lee(15)

(Note: I'm not predicting starters, per say, just listed them based on the estimated number of minutes by position.)

Mulder and Matthews will have to wait until next season if that happens. Hawkins, Willis, and Floreal will play spot minutes.

Sounds good to me.

Reactions: brianpoe
I think Mulder will be tough to keep off the floor. Besides his 3pt % he has a knack for getting rebounds and a guy who likes to rebound and mix it up is always very nice to have. His athleticism is off the charts as well. Prob the highest Verticle we have had in a long time. Don't know what Walls was but I remember Chapmans being close to 40". I know Hawkins is supposed to be in the lower 40's but I don't trust our measuring. I think Mulders is higher than any of them.

Nobody will know until fall for the roster shakeups, some added (KU) some kicked off (IU) but last time I checked wer were now out of top 3 because we havnt landed a couple prospects they thought we were.
I'm positive that KU and UNC for sure will be ranked ahead of us.

Nobody will know until fall for the roster shakeups, some added (KU) some kicked off (IU) but last time I checked wer were now out of top 3 because we havnt landed a couple prospects they thought we were.
I'm positive that KU and UNC for sure will be ranked ahead of us.

I'd rank them like this as of now:

1. UNC
2. Maryland (though I am not a big Turgeon fan, they have excellent talent)
3. KU
4. Duke
5. UK

We add Swanigan and we move up past Duke, maybe KU.

With Murray, I put us at second behind behind UNC.

With both we are probably preseason number one.

You know it's a down year when a 12 loss team, who lost Tokoto and added nobody of significance, is the pre-season #1. Hopefully the NCAA grows some testes and gives them the post-season ban they richly deserve.

Wow, you know your badass when garnering two of the top 10 players in America, including numero uno is considered "whiffing" on the recruiting trail.

You know it's a down year when a 12 loss team, who lost Tokoto and added nobody of significance, is the pre-season #1. Hopefully the NCAA grows some testes and gives them the post-season ban they richly deserve.

Yeah, I missed this one as well. They only lost the best facilitator on their team though, right? No big deal.
Pretty sure they've been a 10+ loss team for 2 years in a row now, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, I missed this one as well. They only lost the best facilitator on their team though, right? No big deal.
Pretty sure they've been a 10+ loss team for 2 years in a row now, if I'm not mistaken.

I know you don't like next year's UNC team, but considering the competition I think they will be top 5. If not Ol' Roy will be in bad shape. Recruiting will not improve with a disappointing season and the NCAA still looming for the rest of the decade.

As I tried to tell you all, LaGerald Vick would not have helped us this year. Just a month ago he was heading to prep school on Larry Brown's advice. It wasn't until a tournament where a few coaches, like Cal and Self, thought that instead of prep school he would make one HELL of a practice player this year and a potential starter next season.

Kansas sold him on what he did with Ben McClemore and the fact that he will be able to take over for Seldon.

Too much competition that will also be here next year scared him away from UK in Mulder and Matthews plus the wings that Cal is already in on for his next class.

Vick has a HELL of a lot of potential, works hard, and is an intelligent young man, but he is fully aware that no matter which school he chose, he would not be in the rotation this year at either KU or UK. At UK he would have been behind Matthews, Mulder, and Willis.

It is EXTREMELY rare that I get any kind of inside information about a recruit, but I had exactly that concerning Vick.

Please feel free to ignore this entire post and assume I am full of it. I am just telling you what I know this one (and likely only) time I had legit inside information.

As for Swan and Murray, Cal has been adamant that he would like to sign 2-3 more players in this class. I have ZERO doubt that Cal would have taken Murray, Swanigan, AND Vick with open arms.

I know you don't like next year's UNC team, but considering the competition I think they will be top 5. If not Ol' Roy will be in bad shape. Recruiting will not improve with a disappointing season and the NCAA still looming for the rest of the decade.

Depends. What player do they have that can fill Tokoto's shoes? It was all a big laugh to the tarhole fans when he left, but they lose.

1. Easily their best defensive player
2. Arguably their best facilitator
3. An enormous transition threat
4. A terrific all-around player barring his shooting abilities
5. A very important part of their team that has no replacement coming in

I'm just not buying it. They don't have the shooting abilities to be the #1 team in the country. They lose a lot off of their perimeter defense because of Tokoto leaving, and frankly, their interior defense is incredibly unimpressive.
I won't be shocked if rebounding numbers take a dip as well, but that's their strength. If that takes a dip, they could potentially have another 10 loss season.

I frequent the tarheels board throughout the season and on the national board. Lots of complaints about JP, usually his shot.

No doubt a great athlete but the kid is far from a superstar.

You have a way of describing kids that is very...generous. Your take on Mulder and now on Tokoto are quite exuberant. I'd love to have you introduce me at a function!

Three years running. 12, 11, and 10. Forgot the order though.

I think most of the pundits are counting on the continual development of unc's guys. Their bigs were much better last season than their freshmen year. I would expect them to get even better. Lee showed little Improvement and Willis has lost his love for the game and needs to regain that love. Poy is coming off surgery and you don't know how a player will be after ACL surgery.
I'm just assuming that these guys are going with the safe bet that the teams the they have seen play will be good compared to teams with so many question marks.
You really won't know how good teams are until December anyway.

If I was most on here I wouldn't make to much of UNC losing double digit games and the next year being ranked #1. After all in 2014 we lost double digit games and made a miracle run to the title game and then lost our 2 best players in Randle and Young and Randle was just a warhorse for us commanding double and triple teams for us. The next season were ranked #1 becsuse we returned a core of decent players who were not great players and the pundits expected us to greatly improve and we did. That preseason #1 lasted the whole season and we went 38 games undefeated, 1st time in history that has happened. Ya we played horrible against Wisconsin and lost but we were worthy of that 1 spot the whole season. These same pundits were saying their were only a handful of teams that could beat us in ND, Wisconsin and Duke. We would have to go through all of em to win the title and we had the lead on Wis but turned it over 4 straight times and stalled the game playing right into their hands. Ya can you tell that I'm still stuck on that? Lol. Will be I guess forever. Just like all the other times we let titles escape us.
Guard play has to improve, Townes was amazing but 1 guy can only carry you so far.

Their bigs might get better, but I don't see a major jump in their defense, which ended the year at 51st. And they lost one of, if their best defender.

UNC has always been known for their offense and not their D. They have won the title a couple of times and had some outstanding teams over the years that could beat anybody. Kinda like Duke, Duke this past year was not known for their D but known for their offensive prowess and they won the title. We were known for our D and not our O and fell short.
D helps you win titles but it is not the end all of how things are. A really good O can win some games for you, you just have to have a fine line between a good D and a good O. Some teams will fall In the having a better O than D and the other way around for others.
Gonzaga was all O and no D and was a good team, Virginia was all as and little O and was a good team. Both will win games but a nice balance is good to have and in my own personal opinion id rather have a better O than D. Reason being is that teams that have trouble scoring can go on droughts of putting the ball in the hole and can raise it's head at the worst of times.
Defense is more or less a learned effort mmmm I guess a "will to own" your opponent. It's much like rebounding, a rebounder wants it and gets the boards. Offense is something that many just have or don't have it's a skill that is practiced on and have to have good instincts to score and ways to do so.

Maybe it's better like this..... I'd rather have a race horse and tame him to run the derby than get a plow mule and try and make him a race horse out of him.

I frequent the tarheels board throughout the season and on the national board. Lots of complaints about JP, usually his shot.

No doubt a great athlete but the kid is far from a superstar.

You have a way of describing kids that is very...generous. Your take on Mulder and now on Tokoto are quite exuberant. I'd love to have you introduce me at a function!

Depending on if you're married or not, you may, or may not want me to introduce you to the ladies.
But no, definitely not a superstar, and truthfully, his future in the NBA is cloudy. We all know he can't shoot, but he fits the typical UNC offense well, and still gave them 8 ppg. He also threw in 5 rebounds per game, and over 4 assists per game. If we get sort of production out of Mulder, or Matthews (or hell, both of them), I'll be happy with that.

Depending on if you're married or not, you may, or may not want me to introduce you to the ladies.
But no, definitely not a superstar, and truthfully, his future in the NBA is cloudy. We all know he can't shoot, but he fits the typical UNC offense well, and still gave them 8 ppg. He also threw in 5 rebounds per game, and over 4 assists per game. If we get sort of production out of Mulder, or Matthews (or hell, both of them), I'll be happy with that.

That would be a nice line for our SF spot on this team.

The other four spots are likely going to get us double figures.

Labissiere and Briscoe definitely should.

Poy, if healthy, should be a double digit scorer.

Ulis will probably average double digits (probably gets a good bump from foul shots at the end of games).

Just under double digits from the Mulder/Matthews combo at the 3 would be great, IMHO.

That would be a nice line for our SF spot on this team.

The other four spots are likely going to get us double figures.

Labissiere and Briscoe definitely should.

Poy, if healthy, should be a double digit scorer.

Ulis will probably average double digits (probably gets a good bump from foul shots at the end of games).

Just under double digits from the Mulder/Matthews combo at the 3 would be great, IMHO.

Agreed through and through. I'm going to be slightly bold and say that Ulis averages around 8 assists per game next season as well, on top or the 11 or 12 points that he'll have himself.

Yes.

I don't think the situation is dire but right now E.J. Floreal is going to have to be the 10th man in practice. On the court we're going to have to play two freshmen 30+ minutes, a 5'9" point guard 35+ minutes, and a guy coming off major knee surgery virtually all the time. Behind those guys we'll have to rely on two Kentucky kids, one of whom has been a spot player and the other who's never played meaningful minutes in his career.

Absolutely we need people. I'm not sure what posters are looking at when they say the roster is set.
All knee operations take at least a year to get back 100%, do not look for Alex to be at his best till January no matter how much rehab he will do!

I'd rank them like this as of now:

1. UNC
2. Maryland (though I am not a big Turgeon fan, they have excellent talent)
3. KU
4. Duke
5. UK

We add Swanigan and we move up past Duke, maybe KU.

With Murray, I put us at second behind behind UNC.

With both we are probably preseason number one.

With Murray i would make Kentucky No.1.

Everytime I watched UNC I thought Tokoto was the second most important player on their team besides Paige. He was a super athlete similar to Poythress. Losing him definitely hurts the Heels.

Hearing good things huh? :p

How does Swanigan committing to Purdue take away from "Hearing good things"? Maybe the OP was hearing good things. He never said Swanigan was going to commit to UK just that it was becoming more of a possiblity. Geez, some posters are just so eager to play Monday morning quarterback like they knew all along this info was bogus.

Reactions: Rafterman
Wow ... this is shocking news. Sorry guys, I still stand by my guy (been very reliable up to this point). I will check and see what happened over the last couple of days.

Apparently something went down. All I know is UK was a BIG time leader last week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT