ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops put himself on an island...

HalHR2500

Junior
Jan 28, 2002
White and Coen had zero interest in joining him at TAM, and Vince Marrow was very iffy as well (He would be a fish out of water in Texas).

Barnhart communicated with those 3 he wanted them to say if Stoops left.

So the head coach knows he is on an island.

When you flirt and dance with a new employer, you are exposed, I expect Stoops to take the next decent job he is offered.

Forget all the Lovey-Dovey PR stuff, the line of demarcation and loyalty has been clearly defined.

If White or Coen get offered a decent HC gig, they are gone, especially Coen.

Brad White wants to be next UK head coach.

Got to be able to recruit Texas...Which is why I was surprised at even the rumor of CMS was in the mix because none of them can seemingly find it on a map...recruiting wise anyway.

Ohio talent isn't going to cut out there in them parts...it's barely cutting it here.

3 star from Allen, will run circles around a 4-star Lake Erie area kid all day.

Got to be able to recruit Texas...Which is why I was surprised at even the rumor of CMS was in the mix because none of them can seemingly find it on a map...recruiting wise anyway.

Ohio talent isn't going to cut out there in them parts...it's barely cutting it here.

3 star from Allen, will run circles around a 4-star Lake Erie area kid all day.
Urban Meyer went on record at OSU saying that significant recruiting emphasis needed to be placed on the South, if OSU wanted national championships. Certainly, there is talent in Ohio, but simply not enough. The low-hanging fruit will not get the job done.

Last edited:
If Stoops wants to leave, he better accept Iowa if it opens up. That whole ordeal was a reality check that he won’t be getting offers from any powerhouse programs.

It’s also hard to believe. I mean dang he’s making a ton of money at UK and has received most of what he’s asked for.

Did something happen behind the scenes with him and Barnhart? They seem like they’re really close.

If Stoops wants to leave, he better accept Iowa if it opens up. That whole ordeal was a reality check that he won’t be getting offers from any powerhouse programs.

It’s also hard to believe. I mean dang he’s making a ton of money at UK and has received most of what he’s asked for.

Did something happen behind the scenes with him and Barnhart? They seem like they’re really close.
Well Barnhart has no buyouts for any of his coaches, if they want to leave, so be it...Stoops will bail the next chance he gets.

Many, if not most times, players and coaches are simply not as good and valuable as they think they are. Ego and unreasonable expectations have been the downfall for many ...

Well Barnhart has no buyouts for any of his coaches, if they want to leave, so be it...Stoops will bail the next chance he gets.
Oh I mean I’ve not been shy about the fact I want him to leave. I wanna see what someone else who has some fire can do here.

I’m just saying that I think it’s odd he even considered leaving since he has no expectations, good relationship with his boss, top 8 in salary, etc.

But yeah I hope he takes the next job that comes calling.

I believe every word. Thanks for letting us know Gilligan is without Mary Anne and Ginger 🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: gojvc

I don't think anything happened. He's a coach, he's competitive. I think 2 of the things that played into this are:

1. He sees how important NIL is going to be moving forward. TAMU is at the top when it comes to NIL.
2. If he has a desire to compete for SEC titles and potentially a national championship, that's going to be a lot easier at a school like TAMU than UK.

Urban Meyer went on record at OSU saying that significant recruiting emphasis needed to be placed on the South, if OSU wanted national championships. Certainly, there is talent in Ohio, but simply not enough. The low-hanging fruit will not get the job done.

It's the one thing that has held CMS, and all the various staffs he's had, back from taking the next step. Being able to get a big upset, win 9-10 games.

They put way too much into the Ohio recruiting.

Yeah, I get the cream of the crop in Ohio is nice, but they're not coming here. The cream of the crop in any state isn't coming here. So, if you're not going to get the top tier kids anywhere, go where the lower tier talent is as good if not better than most upper crust talent in most states...Texas, Florida, California...

Iowa's DC or Stoops would be the top Iowa candidates.

...I don't think any of these coaches have loyalty. They aren't lifelong fans. Hell, Oregon State just lost an alum who was led them from mediocrity into a Top 15 ranking for Michigan State.
The sooner the fans accept the fact that college football is simply another big business driven by the $$$$$$$$, the better off you will be emotionally. Especially those fans who are emotionally attached to our coaches.

The college football era that we grew up with is over and gone forever.

It is all about the dollars now, for players, coaches and AD'S.

Every man for himself. That leaves the fans on the outside looking in......unless they have a lot of $$$$$ they want to donate to the cause.

Last edited:
When you flirt and dance with a new employer, you are exposed, I expect Stoops to take the next decent job he is offered.
So.....to get another job offer, he will bust his ass to win....because nobody wants to hire mediocrity! We all win, right? What's the problem??
This kind of thing is overblown IMO. Good coaches figure the landscape out, hire staffs who know the region if they don't. Saban knew dick about Louisiana in 2000, did fine. Mack Brown didn't know Texas. Urban hadn't worked near Florida or SEC territory.

I don't think anything happened. He's a coach, he's competitive. I think 2 of the things that played into this are:

1. He sees how important NIL is going to be moving forward. TAMU is at the top when it comes to NIL.
2. If he has a desire to compete for SEC titles and potentially a national championship, that's going to be a lot easier at a school like TAMU than UK.
Not to be disrespectful but I see a problem right off the bat. He is not competitive. He told Leach last night he was up all night drinking bourbon after the UL win. He’s fine with where we are, 7 wins a year. He needs to be figuring out what the hell he’s doing wrong.

And he’s dang sure not an SEC or national championship caliber head coach. He doesn’t possess the knowledge nor the fire or passion.

Not to be disrespectful but I see a problem right off the bat. He is not competitive. He told Leach last night he was up all night drinking bourbon after the UL win. He’s fine with where we are, 7 wins a year. He needs to be figuring out what the hell he’s doing wrong.

And he’s dang sure not an SEC or national championship caliber head coach. He doesn’t possess the knowledge nor the fire or passion.
So, he's not allowed to be up celebrating a win after the biggest win of the year knowing we have 4 weeks or so until the next game?

Of course he's competitive. He's a coach. You don't put the time that a coach puts in and not want to win.

As for the SEC or national championship, fans might not feel that he's that caliber of a coach, but I can assure you that is not the thought in his mind.

So, he's not allowed to be up celebrating a win after the biggest win of the year knowing we have 4 weeks or so until the next game?

Of course he's competitive. He's a coach. You don't put the time that a coach puts in and not want to win.

As for the SEC or national championship, fans might not feel that he's that caliber of a coach, but I can assure you that is not the thought in his mind.
No I don’t think he should be celebrating at all. We’ve beat one team with a winning record. Nothing good about that.

So you just beat your rival and wasn’t supposed to. He says he celebrated and that leads you to believe he’s not competitive. Ok my goodness what’s he supposed to do after 7:00 on Saturday night

Reactions: Girthang
So you just beat your rival and wasn’t supposed to. He says he celebrated and that leads you to believe he’s not competitive. Ok my goodness what’s he supposed to do after 7:00 on Saturday night
Nope not when it took you 12 games to beat a winning team. This was a horrible season. Be fine with it if you will.

This ^. He has a life outside of football. He just beat his rival for the fifth straight time in a really sweet ending. I’d think less of him if he DIDN’T celebrate. I know I did. And I’m sorry but every other post says something ‘factual’ that may or may not be true. Let’s enjoy the win and hope next year is better and if he leaves we just move on.

Eleven years is a long time. It might not seem like it but it is. Maybe he just wanted something different or he wants to try a rebuild. Some people just like to build things.

Also, don't forget that his kids live in Colorado. Texas is much closer to there than is Kentucky.

Reactions: RunninRichie

I think he got mad, frustrated by the beatings we took this year. Catching hell from every angle, he makes an ill advised comment he thought was in jest but the fans ran with it and like it or not it really bothered him. I’m sure he regrets it, hell I regret half the shit I’ve done. I think it’s time we circle the wagons and put this negative stuff away and focus on wrapping up a great recruiting class. Recruits read these boards too. And I’ll tell anybody here that cares to listen, Jesus Christ himself could not coach this team to the SEC Championship game without speed, strength and plenty of money. What used to be a semi level playing field got blown out of the water with NIL We cannot compete with Georgia, Alabama when it comes to that aspect. You can only coach up what you have to work with and that would keep a lot of us up at night. Let’s move on.

Many, if not most times, players and coaches are simply not as good and valuable as they think they are. Ego and unreasonable expectations have been the downfall for many ...
Agreed. I always took up for Stoops. No more. Get away please, you aren’t near as good as you think you Mr. Stoops. You are not a coach of my program any longer, just a long suffering piece that we will put up with until Barney says it’s OK when you leave. Stoops is no more to me… I just hope this program succeeds in spite of his a$$. Pony up!!!

Reactions: bigbluedon
^ That's it. Excuse mediocre performance that should have beat TN & SC. Cry for poor baby Mark - and his $9M/yr.
You don’t know me well enough to make that assumption. I never excuse mediocrity. Not crying one single tear, I just think enough has been made of it, let’s focus on finding some talent and get better. Why you want to beat this into perpetuity? We sucked this year, we gotta get better. Who in here doesn’t know that? So either we sit around and languish in it so we can be proven right or we get off our ass and fix it. I’ve seen and heard enough. I also know there’s talent out there we can still get that can help us win. We just upset the #10 team in the Country on their field. Take a look back at the season polls. Look at the #10 teams each week, yea they are all better than louisville but who cares? Move on and get better.

Reactions: dailydouble
Yep, you sound like a miserable fan. Us normal people who try not to take themselves or this fandom too seriously were all celebrating the win. Stoops can have a night. Relax.
Miserable cause I wanna win? Sorry getting my ass kicked by anybody worth a damn isn’t fun to me. We have the softest football fans and you’re one of them.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I think he got mad, frustrated by the beatings we took this year. Catching hell from every angle, he makes an ill advised comment he thought was in jest but the fans ran with it and like it or not it really bothered him. I’m sure he regrets it, hell I regret half the shit I’ve done. I think it’s time we circle the wagons and put this negative stuff away and focus on wrapping up a great recruiting class. Recruits read these boards too. And I’ll tell anybody here that cares to listen, Jesus Christ himself could not coach this team to the SEC Championship game without speed, strength and plenty of money. What used to be a semi level playing field got blown out of the water with NIL We cannot compete with Georgia, Alabama when it comes to that aspect. You can only coach up what you have to work with and that would keep a lot of us up at night. Let’s move on.
Yes let’s move on to 6 more wins next year. Wash, rinse, repeat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT