ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops put himself on an island...

Miserable cause I wanna win? Sorry getting my ass kicked by anybody worth a damn isn’t fun to me. We have the softest football fans and you’re one of them.
You can want to win every game and also celebrate wins against your rival. The two concepts aren’t mutually exclusive unless you funnel all your misery and anger into your fandom. Sucks that you’re so miserable you can’t enjoy anything. That sounds super well adjusted and not at all unhinged.

Yep, you sound like a miserable fan. Us normal people who try not to take themselves or this fandom too seriously were all celebrating the win. Stoops can have a night. Relax.
C’mon dude. You want to say you’re satisfied with this year… with who it looks like we have become. I’m not miserable, just not satisfied. I would really like us to be more than the lower pack of the SEC that hangs on to wins to get to bowl game. Please expect a little more.

C’mon dude. You want to say you’re satisfied with this year… with who it looks like we have become. I’m not miserable, just not satisfied. I would really like us to be more than the lower pack of the SEC that hangs on to wins to get to bowl game. Please expect a little more.
Putting a whole host of words in my mouth there. I didn’t say anything about being satisfied with the year. I didn’t say anything about the state of the program. My point was that it was okay to celebrate a win against a rival. Full stop.

Why in the hell is that such a controversial take? I never want to get to a point in my fandom where I can’t enjoy beating Louisville. Life’s too damn short for that.

No I don’t think he should be celebrating at all. We’ve beat one team with a winning record. Nothing good about that.
I’m sure you’re a lot of fun at a party.

You know UL won 10 games this year. Maybe they are a better team for you to follow?

Reactions: Girthang
Yes let’s move on to 6 more wins next year. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Did you read anywhere that I said I was happy with this years team? I wanna win every game we play. But then I realize that we aren’t playing on a level field when we play Georgia or Alabama. Missouri and South Carolina games along with Tennessee were games we should have and could have won. Who doesn’t know that? 6 wins next year might be all we get, I’m hoping for 10. Let’s at least play the games before we throw in the towel.

Yes it’s known in Iowa football circles, Stoops will be their Next coach, guessing Ferentz will retire in a couple of years
There is no place that can appreciate Iowa style football like Iowa so it seems to make sense in that regard

Expecting to beat Bama and UGA is one thing

Expecting not to be embarrassed within the first ten minutes is another.
It seems like the immediate rebuttal to any desire for improvement is ‘well NIL’ and ‘silly to expect beating Georgia and bama’ or ‘in our history…8 bowl games!’ When if you went by the old bowl setup of the past stoops would have one ‘probable’ bowl team although no shoo in and one ‘maybe’ bowl team in 12 years. Again stoops is ‘solid’…..he sets up and operates a program fairly well but has no feel for the other side of the ball yet won’t let it totally go do it’s thing either…and he’s not the greatest game coach

and he’s not the greatest game coach
This is my biggest gripe about Stoops. He leaves TOs in his pocket a lot which causes us possible points. He'd rather run the clock out at the end of the half instead of trying to get the ball back and score. We are also very undisciplined. We had zero penalties against UL. Just where in the heck was that all season? I still like Stoops and glad he came back but we need more attention to detail.

Reactions: UKat1 and Girthang
This is my biggest gripe about Stoops. He leaves TOs in his pocket a lot which causes us possible points. He'd rather run the clock out at the end of the half instead of trying to get the ball back and score. We are also very undisciplined. We had zero penalties against UL. Just where in the heck was that all season? I still like Stoops and glad he came back but we need more attention to detail.
He is paying attention to detail. The detail is he wants fewer plays so that our players have less opportunity to show their stuff on the field & thus want to hit the portal. I wonder if this is used against him in recruiting?

He is paying attention to detail. The detail is he wants fewer plays so that our players have less opportunity to show their stuff on the field & thus want to hit the portal. I wonder if this is used against him in recruiting?
Has to be. Second string guys on O get no reps

If Stoops leaves and Mitch makes Brad White the head coach, I am done. It would be a typical UK/ Mitch move.

Reactions: UKat1
I don't think anything happened. He's a coach, he's competitive. I think 2 of the things that played into this are:

1. He sees how important NIL is going to be moving forward. TAMU is at the top when it comes to NIL.
2. If he has a desire to compete for SEC titles and potentially a national championship, that's going to be a lot easier at a school like TAMU than UK.
Yeah I think he and Barnhart are fine, its always about timing and the climate of the moment. The climate here at the time he got an offer was trending negative so if her were every going to entertain a change this was a ripe time. Leave before it gets worse and start new, its the reason a lot of changes are made. Then in one day two things happened, A&M crowd turned cold on him and he beats UL to brighten things up here simple as that.

I was one that didnt really believe he got a serious offer and was a threat to go at first but have since got confirmation he was making real plans to go.

If I’m the Kentucky coach, I take the A&m job. In fact, other than the top five or 6 teams in next year’s SEC, Ohio Stste, Michigan and MAYBE Penn.Stste and/or Oregon, it’s the best job out there.

I actually think Stoops would have done well at A&M. This is one of the worst jobs in reality that’s even in existence. The only thing that changes that is the contract Mitch made. He knows this job sucks but pays bills.

We are Kansas, Indiana and Duke level bad in reality. Don’t let a little a little bit of consistency confuse that.

White and Coen had zero interest in joining him at TAM, and Vince Marrow was very iffy as well (He would be a fish out of water in Texas).

Barnhart communicated with those 3 he wanted them to say if Stoops left.

So the head coach knows he is on an island.

When you flirt and dance with a new employer, you are exposed, I expect Stoops to take the next decent job he is offered.

Forget all the Lovey-Dovey PR stuff, the line of demarcation and loyalty has been clearly defined.

If White or Coen get offered a decent HC gig, they are gone, especially Coen.

Brad White wants to be next UK head coach.
Come on Iowa.....make the call

Reactions: K86
I actually think Stoops would have done well at A&M. This is one of the worst jobs in reality that’s even in existence. The only thing that changes that is the contract Mitch made. He knows this job sucks but pays bills.

We are Kansas, Indiana and Duke level bad in reality. Don’t let a little a little bit of consistency confuse that.
Any job in the SEC or Big 10 is a better job than any job that’s not.

Edit: except Notre Dame

Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration. For example, Vanderbilt is not a better job than Clemson, Indiana is not a better job than Florida St, Northwestern is not better than Oklahoma St., etc.

That would be Joker Phillips part 2 unless he goes out and successfully cuts his HC teeth at a different school. But again, promoting White vs finding a proven up and coming coach with an exciting style would be so Barney.

He hurt himself and the program with that stunt ! He can't preach Family then hit the door

I could see situations where all that could be true.
But again I don’t know all the truth behind all this and I suspect 99% of all other people don’t either.
And you would certainly be right. Many college coaches are good at handling their press conferences without actually giving away any important information. Otherwise they get eaten alive. Mark Stoops says very little that isn't already known. He keeps his cards very close to the vest, which is what you expect from a guy whose male family members are all football coaches. The circle of people who actually know what Stoops, Marrow, White, Coen, and Barnhart are strategically thinking is very, very small. We know this because almost every time someone publicly claims to know, they eventually turn out to be wrong. 80-90% of predictions in the online UK sports media never happen. Since I don't know who HalHR2500 is, I am not specifically commenting on him. But I do not believe any true insiders are posting on this board, and I say this after years of careful observation.

Nobody here knows what Stoops, Marrow, White, and Coen are thinking. Any of us can look at circumstances and draw inferences. It still humors me that some people act like Stoops is the only SEC football coach who ever took a call from another SEC AD. Stoops is one of the most senior SEC coaches. The ADs make these calls with multiple objectives. They are looking for recommendations and other points of view. If they happen to discover direct interest, so much the better from their perspective. These kinds of conversations happen a lot more than this board recognizes.

If Stoops wants to leave, he better accept Iowa if it opens up. That whole ordeal was a reality check that he won’t be getting offers from any powerhouse programs.

It’s also hard to believe. I mean dang he’s making a ton of money at UK and has received most of what he’s asked for.

Did something happen behind the scenes with him and Barnhart? They seem like they’re really close.
As a professional, who also happened to work as an Executive Search Consultant, I have almost never turned down an interview invitation with a legitimate enterprise. Knowledge is power and even if you love what you are doing it can be beneficial to listen and gather intel. We have no idea what is going on his head or behind closed doors, but taking an interview is not necessarily indicative of a desire to leave. In fact, for the senior finance and management consulting roles I was retained to hire, I typically did not consider candidates that were actively looking to leave their current roles. I wanted candidates that were successful and happy with where they were, but curious enough to listen,

Reactions: Rembrandt90
As a professional, who also happened to work as an Executive Search Consultant, I have almost never turned down an interview invitation with a legitimate enterprise. Knowledge is power and even if you love what you are doing it can be beneficial to listen and gather intel. We have no idea what is going on his head or behind closed doors, but taking an interview is not necessarily indicative of a desire to leave. In fact, for the senior finance and management consulting roles I was retained to hire, I typically did not consider candidates that were actively looking to leave their current roles. I wanted candidates that were successful and happy with where they were, but curious enough to listen,
Thank you. In professional life, everyone has a right to listen and there are all kinds of good reasons to show courtesy when someone in your profession calls you to show interest. The true picture is far, far different from the tin eared anti-Stoops narrative one reads so often here.

Got to be able to recruit Texas...Which is why I was surprised at even the rumor of CMS was in the mix because none of them can seemingly find it on a map...recruiting wise anyway.

Ohio talent isn't going to cut out there in them parts...it's barely cutting it here.

3 star from Allen, will run circles around a 4-star Lake Erie area kid all day.
How about Joe Burrow?

White and Coen had zero interest in joining him at TAM, and Vince Marrow was very iffy as well (He would be a fish out of water in Texas).

When you flirt and dance with a new employer, you are exposed, I expect Stoops to take the next decent job he is offered.

Forget all the Lovey-Dovey PR stuff, the line of demarcation and loyalty has been clearly defined.

NO!!!! No more DCs!

Reactions: UKat1
This is all bs Stoops is here forever he will reassess this year and "get back to work"

That island is lonely Stoops…

And now his top assistant coaches are looking at other jobs

Where is this coming from?

This is all bs Stoops is here forever he will reassess this year and "get back to work"
Just gotta get some things cleaned up during the off-season, it seems …
The biggest thing for me … do Stoops and his staff all really WANT to be here ??

Last edited:
Eleven years is a long time. It might not seem like it but it is. Maybe he just wanted something different or he wants to try a rebuild. Some people just like to build things.

Also, don't forget that his kids live in Colorado. Texas is much closer to there than is Kentucky.
I know I'm replying to this really late, but I'm a Kentuckian living in Colorado. The distances out west are different, man. When I moved here I was surprised how far Colorado is from Texas or the west coast. In Google Maps, Denver to College Station is a 14hr drive. Denver to Lexington is a 17hr drive. Stoops ain't driving; the travel time by private jet would be nominal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT