ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops Not Sure Which QB Will Start VS Georgia

Agree with UKCAT. Our wide receivers are not SEC quality receivers. They struggle to get separation and how many drops have we witnessed this year? No Johnson, Cobb, or Bowdens on this depth chart. Cannot imagine there aren’t one or two Freshmen who should displace those who are taking most of the snaps Having stated this and realizing this season is essentially on the brink I think it is time to start plann8ng for next year and playing both Allen and Gatewood and see how they do. And by the way I think Drake Jackson or Landon Young could out run our tight ends!

If the same guy is still calling the plays it won't matter. We hear every off-season that the offense looks better, they have studs, they look legit now, finally have good receiving corps..... It comes down to the same guy. He's the common denominator. We've had different players and different schemes same OC. I've been to one to defend him but time is up for that.

Kentucky is too talented for this. Joker's terrible teams had better offensive #s. Other teams wanted our players. They don't forget how to play football. The play calling and lack of awareness is astounding! For instance, they motion Ali and then send him back out on a swing screen pass on the short side of the field. Other when 2nd and 5 and the call is to have all 2 wideouts go out in a route. 1 was a hitch the other was a 30 yard go route. That's not winning football. You have to be able to design easy plays for your team. Easy pitch and catch for 5-8 yards. It builds confidence, continuity and timing. And it's simply not there and never will be.

Last edited:
He put Gatewood in with 3 mins left. So he obviously believes Gatewood is the better passer. Terry is not the same as a runner post injury. He looks slower and not as agile. If CMS believes Gatewood is a better passer he needs to be the one getting the snaps.

Missouri played pitch and catch all game long. I can't believe they have that much better WRs than we do on paper. Wilson is just so inconsistent and easy to defend. Why didn't we have the same offensive game plan as we did against UT last week? Where was the TE and working the middle of the field? Didn't even look like the same playbook as last week.

So frustrating- we obviously need Crod carrying 75% of carries - I would go with Gatewood or Allen for reps - TW is slow in every aspect from running (no zig zag in his game)to reads to getting the ball out of his hands

Hopefully Stoops is doing coach speak and the decision is pretty obvious....Terry isn't the man at QB. Gatewood may not the man at QB...but we certainly don't know enough on him yet.

1. He played 3 series. First one Ali dropped a 15 yard in his numbers and a pretty blatant pass interference was missed. Second series was two handoffs to RB and a sack. Third one was in garbage time and he hit Ali for a 12 yard and then Ali fumbles. So we have no idea what he can do.
2. Gatewood is a big dude and can run better than Terry.....it's not going to be close. Terry isn't as fast to the corner as he was before injury and he's always gone down at first contact. Joey will move piles with his size.
3. Is Gatewood going to be better passing and reading the defense....he might not be but he's not going to be any worse than Terry to be realistic. Terry just isnt' a high IQ kid at QB.

I think it's a no brainer to bench Terry...but Stoops has shown he's got that weird upperclassman crap in his DNA (like playing AJ). We'll see but I think Joey gives us another dimension and we'll see if he can make the Wr/TE play better.

Shut down the run and we are done. It's been that way since Stoops has been here. I don't have the answers, but I do have the stats to back it up. You have to honestly ask yourself if you played receiver, would you want to play in our system? Running backs are plentiful, but good receivers are harder or find.. We have to be the least attractive team in the SEC to play on that side of the ball..

He put Gatewood in with 3 mins left. So he obviously believes Gatewood is the better passer. Terry is not the same as a runner post injury. He looks slower and not as agile. If CMS believes Gatewood is a better passer he needs to be the one getting the snaps.

That told me it's gatewood moving forward. I don't see it can be anything else.

And to his credit, he delivered a nice ball to Ali who promptly fumbled as he tends to do

I think we saw Gatewood with 3 minutes left because of how Wilson bailed on 3rd down the series before
They rushed he retreated and threw it away - I’m sure the staff watched the Mizzou QB step up in the pocket and deliver strikes down the field. Wilson never does that - he simply is not a natural QB

Likely have to go with Gatewood and the Lynn Bowden offense.
I agree that we may go with Gatewood, but, unlike Bowden, he's a real quarterback. He may not have elite accuracy at this point, but he can sling it with real velocity. If we put him out there, we need to let him operate a full offense and not panic if he doesn't immediately look like Aaron Rodgers out there in terms of accuracy.

Our wide receivers are not SEC quality receivers. They struggle to get separation and how many drops have we witnessed this year?

The drops, fumbles, poor blocking on edges and downfield.

The WR’s softness is plain and plainly disturbing.

As to QB, Gatewood could run a higher percentage than TTW, is likelier you hold up to the punishment, and looks just as good as TTW throwing to receivers who drop the ball.

We need to go with the QB that is most accurate. Our WR’s do not get separation so every throw has to be in a very small window. UK doesn’t have to throw more but they HAVE to be effective when they do throw to keep the defenses on their toes. Quit worrying about throwing bombs down field because we don’t have any speed at WR to get behind the defense. Concentrate on short to intermediate throws that help move the chains. And for the love of all that is good start using the middle of the field with the TE’s and crossing or rub routes. It seems to confuse the heck out of our defense so it might confuse the opponent’s defense as well.

Has to be Gate going forward.
you don’t put gate in for that final drive if you felt like TW was your best shot.
if TW starts next game it’s because CMS’s well known faults of sticking to his guys doesn’t matter if we had waddle and smith from BAMA as true freshman on our team . Stoops wouldn’t play them over the upperclassmen

We have no receivers because of the offense we run. I’ve said it before and got criticized, why would a good, highly ranked receiver come here?
To catch an occasional screen? A slant once or twice a game? Become the backup QB? The rest of the time you’re a blocker or decoy.
There’s nothing wrong with having a strong running game, it’s vital. But Stoops has made this one dimensional. I’m sure it’s used against us when recruiting receivers and QB’s.

Hopefully Stoops is doing coach speak and the decision is pretty obvious....Terry isn't the man at QB. Gatewood may not the man at QB...but we certainly don't know enough on him yet.

1. He played 3 series. First one Ali dropped a 15 yard in his numbers and a pretty blatant pass interference was missed. Second series was two handoffs to RB and a sack. Third one was in garbage time and he hit Ali for a 12 yard and then Ali fumbles. So we have no idea what he can do.
2. Gatewood is a big dude and can run better than Terry.....it's not going to be close. Terry isn't as fast to the corner as he was before injury and he's always gone down at first contact. Joey will move piles with his size.
3. Is Gatewood going to be better passing and reading the defense....he might not be but he's not going to be any worse than Terry to be realistic. Terry just isnt' a high IQ kid at QB.

I think it's a no brainer to bench Terry...but Stoops has shown he's got that weird upperclassman crap in his DNA (like playing AJ). We'll see but I think Joey gives us another dimension and we'll see if he can make the Wr/TE play better.
During the game, Gatewood looked like a Qb. Wilson looks rattled and scares to make a mistake. Poor reads, late throws...

love Terry but think another direction is warranted.

also,if a receiver drops a ball...bench...

and if Crod is not our RB, we are screwed.

Missouri played pitch and catch all game long. I can't believe they have that much better WRs than we do on paper. Wilson is just so inconsistent and easy to defend. Why didn't we have the same offensive game plan as we did against UT last week? Where was the TE and working the middle of the field? Didn't even look like the same playbook as last week.
We have no receivers because of the offense we run. I’ve said it before and got criticized, why would a good, highly ranked receiver come here?
To catch an occasional screen? A slant once or twice a game? Become the backup QB? The rest of the time you’re a blocker or decoy.
There’s nothing wrong with having a strong running game, it’s vital. But Stoops has made this one dimensional. I’m sure it’s used against us when recruiting receivers and QB’s.
Said it in another thread. We won’t get Gavin Wimsatt and night not hang onto the Sheron kid that committed

Reactions: TIE543
Gatewood also had a good throw to Ali and of course out star receiver drops the damn pass. Have our receivers even made one freaking play to help the QB all damn year?
Big drop too. Would have been a first down.

Then Ali fumbled the ball after a first down catch at end of
game.
I think Gatewood has more upside but somebody has to catch the damn ball and Eddie Gran needs to quit overthinking...:throw over the middle.. add some slants and crossing patterns.
Less WR screen

Reactions: THE_OAK
In baseball, looking to next season is common, and we are at that point.
Tend to agree. I want to see Drennen and Branham and Crumes and Cummings and Sanders at WR and McClain/Tisdale getting carries behind CRod/Smoke with Gatewood/Allen at QB. And PLEASE...create plays for Upshaw. I've had about all of "possession receivers"(possession receivers is a nice term for "you ain't fast enough for SEC football") Thomas, Dailey, Oliver I can handle. It's a screwy season, use it as another Spring practice prepping for Fall of '21.

I agree that we may go with Gatewood, but, unlike Bowden, he's a real quarterback. He may not have elite accuracy at this point, but he can sling it with real velocity. If we put him out there, we need to let him operate a full offense and not panic if he doesn't immediately look like Aaron Rodgers out there in terms of accuracy.
Exactly... let him play at least a half. Ali dropped a first down pass on his first drive and there should have been pass interference called on the pass to our TE.

I still maintain Terry is the guy, but the offense has absolutely got to do something, anything. I haven't seen anything from Gatewood that makes me convincingly feel he should be starting instead,

If the same guy is still calling the plays it won't matter. We hear every off-season that the offense looks better, they have studs, they look legit now, finally have good receiving corps..... It comes down to the same guy. He's the common denominator. We've had different players and different schemes same OC. I've been to one to defend him but time is up for that.

Kentucky is too talented for this. Joker's terrible teams had better offensive #s. Other teams wanted our players. They don't forget how to play football. The play calling and lack of awareness is astounding! For instance, they motion Ali and then send him back out on a swing screen pass on the short side of the field. Other when 2nd and 5 and the call is to have all 2 wideouts go out in a route. 1 was a hitch the other was a 30 yard go route. That's not winning football. You have to be able to design easy plays for your team. Easy pitch and catch for 5-8 yards. It builds confidence, continuity and timing. And it's simply not there and never will be.
I wish we had Joker as OC. He had a pro style offense that was balanced. Yes it took good quarterback play but he developed them. All were solid except Newton and he might have been if he could have redshirted his freshman year.

I still maintain Terry is the guy, but the offense has absolutely got to do something, anything. I haven't seen anything from Gatewood that makes me convincingly feel he should be starting instead,

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with you. TG is bigger, but not nearly as fast as TW, and what little I have seen (including very limited stats while at Auburn) does not show me he is a world beater passer either.

But, OTOH, we have seen TW for three years now, he has most definitely shown not to be a world beater at the passing game, and at some point, enough is enough. One poster stated he has 6 or more games in his career where he has thrown for under 100 yards. Army, Navy and Ga Tech under Paul Johnson throw for more yards than that.

If you do start Gatewood, I think you need a little different playbook, forget the QB reads for the most part, he is not quick enough to be effective. I would feature more roll outs, move the pocket, and throw to backs in the flat and TEs in the middle of the field. Yesterday, we threw deep (TWICE!!) to Upshaw down the sideline, that is a very low % play to a TE that is really not quite as fast and talented as we had hoped. I would also feature some younger guys like Drennen, maybe Tae Tae who is supposed to be really fast.

But in the larger picture, UK has just really struggled at (1) signing and especially (2) developing quarterbacks. None of our QBs have ever got a look from the NFL since Woodson in 2007. Mac Jones would have made this team a lot better in the last two years, for sure, hell, maybe even Jarren Williams too, had he not been such a head case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT