ADVERTISEMENT

Not a great start for roster building

Not saying anything negative towards Pope, but things are starting as expected. Bradshaw gone to OSU, Dallin rules out UK, and Wagner enters portal. I'm sure we will get some good news too though.
This is a great start and it shouldn't have been unexpected. It's a great start because we need to move out most of what was Cal and bring in what will be Pope. Flush the system out. I am not against anyone staying who wants to, but IMO starting fresh in Pope's vision of a roster is better for us in the long run. In fact, I was already on board and still am if it means we have a subpar year one. I know most won't accept that, but if they make the tourney next year after starting completely over then I will be pleased. Nothing that has happened so far was unexpected for me.

So Pitino should have been fired after his first year?
Pitino improved the program his first year. We went from a losing program to a 14-14 record. Cal got the team to the first round of the NCAA tournament. I'm not even saying that Pope should do better. My point is that we should not regress. Cal made it to the tournament we should hold Pope to at least the same standard. I cannot believe I am on a Kentucky basketball forum having to argue that we should make the tournament. How are we here arguing about whether making the NCAA tournament is a level we should all hold Kentucky basketball to?

Dallin is Mormon, spent the standard two years on a Mormon mission trip and was never going to leave BYU due to that. Has nothing to do with either recruiting or confidence in Pope.

Bradshaw would not fit at all in Pope’s system.

Wagner might, if his late improved perimeter shooting is sustainable. But he is one datapoint total. And opening up his recruitment is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, one which does not rule out him coming here.

Keep your shirt on.
DJ’s shot was broken. He had a couple of decent games but he was not a high priority for me at all.

This season will be a rough one and is a throw away year. Mark Pope has to build a staff and roster from scratch. Year after is when he has to get going

Reactions: Fox2monk
Do you really feel not making the NCAA tournament is acceptable? All I'm saying is that should be the standard for year one. If we as the big blue nation have fallen so far that we don't have that as a minimum standard then I don't know what this program has come to.
Stop with the we. You're just another one of the many new accounts that have spawned in the last week or so. Your first post was reasonable in the thread then you posted again and showed your true troll colors next. Guess who also didn't make the tourney in 20-21? You guessed it and getting bounced in the first round multiple times is essentially not making it as well. At best that's a participation trophy. So stop spewing garbage and stop fear mongering

My position is that Kentucky basketball should not tolerate failing to make the NCAA tournament no matter what the circumstances. That's my position. I don't understand why you think I said he should have a championship next year.

Again, that bar of low expectations just departed for Fayetteville. We can expect to win the lottery for all the good it will do any of us. We expect the program will be rebuilt the right way by a coach that can coach. That's the bare minimum expectation.

At this point, as it always is with a new coach, it's all faith based.

Reactions: ukfan041
Stop with the we. You're just another one of the many new accounts that have spawned in the last week or so. Your first post was reasonable in the thread then you posted again and showed your true troll colors next. Guess who also didn't make the tourney in 20-21? You guessed it and getting bounced in the first round multiple times is essentially not making it as well. At best that's a participation trophy. So stop spewing garbage and stop fear mongering
You think I am fear-mongering in stating that the standard we should hold as a community is making the tournament? By the way, I felt we should have gotten rid of Cal too I just was hoping for someone better than Pope.

You think I am fear-mongering in stating that the standard we should hold as a community is making the tournament? By the way, I felt we should have gotten rid of Cal too I just was hoping for someone better than Pope.
I think we got the right guy. He can coach circles around Cal and is one of our own. His IQ is off the charts. It’s day one. He gave us a championship we can at least give him a chance. I don’t think we will be disappointed.

Reactions: Girthang
We will likely be mediocre next season but I do expect the team to play exactly how Pope spoke to yesterday. Play with passion, shoot a lot of threes, switch defenses to keep teams on their heels.

Between the NIL money, transfer portal flexibility, Pope’s massively positive personality, and the program itself, we will be fine roster wise once the dust settles.
Appreciate your positivity.

giphy.gif

Too many people right now.......

Act like you've been through a coaching change before.

Pitino improved the program his first year. We went from a losing program to a 14-14 record. Cal got the team to the first round of the NCAA tournament. I'm not even saying that Pope should do better. My point is that we should not regress. Cal made it to the tournament we should hold Pope to at least the same standard. I cannot believe I am on a Kentucky basketball forum having to argue that we should make the tournament. How are we here arguing about whether making the NCAA tournament is a level we should all hold Kentucky basketball to?
We are not arguing about that. We are arguing about you saying under any circumstances. Pitino missed the tournament his first year so he should have been fired because we don’t miss the tournament under any circumstances. It’s just preposterous. There can be extenuating circumstances.

Reactions: gojvc and Girthang
Some guys will see the 22k at the presser and say not for me. Some like to be in college, play and not be bothered. Others will look at it and say I want to be there and do not fit Pope's style. It will take a few (10 or so guys) maybe not all portal guys, to go along with Perry and maybe / probably not / Reed to make up the roster. Mark probably has specific things he wants in place, staff (key staff not all), then players and finally finish filling the staff. I would say CMP will get little rest over the next 30 to 45 days. After that he will be trying to build the schedule and implementing (strength and conditioning) his needs on the guys he signed.

I believe these players are asking for 6-7 figure NIL deals and UK is not willing to give those type deals and we only have a little over 4mil for NIL. This maybe the reason we are not hearing anything on commits or portal players

Is mediocrity now acceptable for Kentucky basketball? My fear is that too many fans will accept it as the new normal. If I had to predict the future I'd say you were correct about next season which is why I am not investing into the program next year and will not be invested until Pope shows me that he is capable of something more than mediocrity. I won't be disappointed or surprised in Pope for performing as I expect him to. I will be disappointed in our fans if there is a mediocre season and there's not just as much pressure to hire someone that can give Kentucky the program it deserves.
Mediocrity was what Cal was delivering. You sure were quiet the last 4 years. Hmmm...

It's sad to see the level of whining I'm already capable of. I should be viewed as a failed experiment with any result that is more or less than what any Cal apologist did this past year. We will see if my mediocrity is now the new standard of Kentucky forums.

Mods,
He's saying he wants to be banned. We simply can't accept his repetitious, mediocre posts anymore. Please set a higher standard for his sake AND ours...

Don't be surprised if Travis Perry ask out of his agreement

I've thought about this for a while, too. He's in a much better NIL negotiating position if he reopens his recruitment, but then if he delays at this point the staff might just move on from him. He clearly wants to be a Cat. He still has to be recruited like he's wanted.

This IS a different era, in that kids need to be fawned over and both consistently and constantly recruited, over and over again. If they're not being told how wanted and needed they are, many start to mope and drag. They'd rather be lied to than told the truth most of the time.

Mods,
He's saying he wants to be banned. We simply can't accept his repetitious, mediocre posts anymore. Please set a higher standard for his sake AND ours...
Are you serious? You have nothing better to do here than personally attack me? I stated a position that a minimum expectation at Kentucky should be making the NCAA tournament and this is your reaction? You edit my post and you lie on a forum to discuss basketball. You seriously need to reexamine your life choices. I hope you get the help you so clearly need.

Last edited:
This season will be a rough one and is a throw away year. Mark Pope has to build a staff and roster from scratch. Year after is when he has to get going
In the past this would happen 100%. Now with the portal, you can get 4-6 really good players.
Look at TN,AU ECT. They pretty much have to rebuild this year as well! All due to the portal and NIL! Pope should be able to get some solid players in here if he is good at selling his system!

Reactions: KYExtemper
Dallin is Mormon, spent the standard two years on a Mormon mission trip and was never going to leave BYU due to that. Has nothing to do with either recruiting or confidence in Pope.

Bradshaw would not fit at all in Pope’s system.

Wagner might, if his late improved perimeter shooting is sustainable. But he is one datapoint total. And opening up his recruitment is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, one which does not rule out him coming here.

Keep your shirt on.
Every kid that plays for pope won't shoot 35+% . His offense takes a lot of threes , therefore they make a lot.
I remember when Loyola Chicago were making runs in the tournament and wondering if that style could bring in top level talent. I was unsure then and still unsure. Well coached fundamentals go farther than under coached talent.

Kansas State literally built a team from scratch over the summer two years ago and almost made the final 4, its doable for sure, just give Pope time, the roster will
Come together.

Not saying anything negative towards Pope, but things are starting as expected. Bradshaw gone to OSU, Dallin rules out UK, and Wagner enters portal. I'm sure we will get some good news too though.
Is this the 1st time players left after 1 season? They were gone regardless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT