ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops is not a big time coach

LMAO...Getting UK 2 10 win seasons is proof he is an excellent coach. One season could be labeled a fluke but 2 is not. 7 bowl games in a row. 2 Citrus Bowl victories.

We're getting destroyed by the #1 team and back to back champions at home. Don't make this more than it is.
It's not that they lost but how badly they looked in doing so. Embarrassing knowing that this coach is being paid as much for this product. It's not good enough and Stoops isn't an SEC caliber coach, IMO. The balance of this season will be telling and we will all be watching with great interest. It may be that Stoops highest priority at this point will be to somehow get one additional win this season to ensure his added bonus for being bowl eligible. The sad part is that I'm not so sure he and Barnhart aren't perfectly happy with just enough wins to qualify for some random bowl appearance and just call it a year and that sucks.

He can compete with mediocre teams but his teams fall apart when they play top talent. This is the worst quarter of uk fb in a long time. so unprepared. It’s inexcusable to keep giving this guy top 10 money when this is the product he puts. It’s embarrassing. The 4th time completely unprepared for a program changing game. Not once in those 4 games has stoops put his team in a position to even compete. Total embarrassment
Till he realizes that it's 2023 and scoring points wins games...this entire staff got embarrassed tonight and should apologize to the team. Leary needs to be benched. Burton needs to be benched. Stoops and Coen need to learn the objective is to cross the lines where the goal post are. UK is spending 11 million a year for these two jokes.

Last edited:
LMAO...Getting UK 2 10 win seasons is proof he is an excellent coach. One season could be labeled a fluke but 2 is not. 7 bowl games in a row. 2 Citrus Bowl victories.

We're getting destroyed by the #1 team and back to back champions at home. Don't make this more than it is.
It IS much more than what it is.

I’m not following you on that. Specifically, what are you talking about there? What should he do?
I think you do. I'm saying that Barnhart should do what other SEC AD's do and hold their coaches to a level of performance that is commensurate with their level of compensation. Stoops is one of the highest paid coaches in the conference and after tonight's game performance, Stoops has been shown to be something other than what Barnhart would like to believe (that he will never admit) or would like for BBN to believe. Honestly, it's not just that UK lost but more about how woefully bad they looked in losing. The biggest takeaway for me after tonight's games is that Florida must really suck.

Reactions: K86 and bigbluedon
Till he realizes that it's 2023 and scoring points wins games...this entire staff got embarrassed tonight and should apologize to the team. Leary needs to be benched. Burton needs to be benched. Stoops and Coen need to learn the objective is to cross the lines where the goal post are. UK is spending 11 million a year for these two jokes.
Between last years offensive collapse due to coaching and this years due to the qb it’s a massive bummer. I want to see a complete team. If we don’t win ok but come on this football today was some bad stuff the first half especially. Frustrating.

Between last years offensive collapse due to coaching and this years due to the qb it’s a massive bummer. I want to see a complete team. If we don’t win ok but come on this football today was some bad stuff the first half especially. Frustrating.
I agree. I would be fine with a loss if I could say that I was proud of the way our team fought and competed against a quality opponent. It's foolish to believe any team can win every game ... not just foolish, but irrational and delusional. This is a tough conference ... the best in the nation, so better have your big boy pants on.

I think you do. I'm saying that Barnhart should do what other SEC AD's do and hold their coaches to a level of performance that is commensurate with their level of compensation…..
No, actually I didn’t know and I still don’t. What should Barnhart do to hold Stoops “to a level of performance that is commensurate” to his level of compensation?

No, actually I didn’t know and I still don’t. What should Barnhart do to hold Stoops “to a level of performance that is commensurate” to his level of compensation?
I think you do but then again, maybe you don't.

You could end the suspense and just tell us.
Well, the one thing that is definitely absent is any level of suspense. If you simply read the collective musing of BBN on these threads tonight, you might be able to solve your manufactured mystery. I only say this because maybe you can ... or, then again, maybe not.

Arizona has the ball tied 28-28 in the 4th quarter against USC on the road with a freshman QB making his 2nd start. Arizona was 21.5 point underdogs. I don’t want to hear how we can never be in these types of games. Other programs without a lot of tradition can do it.

Arizona has the ball tied 28-28 in the 4th quarter against USC on the road with a freshman QB making his 2nd start. Arizona was 21.5 point underdogs. I don’t want to hear how we can never be in these types of games. Other programs without a lot of tradition can do it.
I wish they would listen to you. Everyone seems to work so hard trying to rationalize why we can't and never will.

Man the ballers are out

It looks to me like they should worry about “Coach Cal” more especially since UK is a “bball school”

Reactions: rudd1
Stoops is good about beating not so good teams but teams like Ga. he is not a very good coach.

Demand more or keep watching the same UK football you've been watching for 50 years.
I was a student during the Bill Curry days, so you will have to forgive me if I see the current situation as better than those years and the years up to when Stoops took over.

Reactions: grevey35

To add to that, how many UK teams have looked good on the road against the number 1 team in the country? I'll hang up and listen.

It started with glaring little mistakes, and then we just could not recover from them and it affected the whole team including our best players.

Davis had the perfect game against Florida...and then you tell me he is held to like one touchdown run? Georgia is tops for a reason.

All true, IMO, and makes Barnhart's decision to keep giving the guy unreasonable contract extensions and raises very questionable. There is no doubt that Stoops has moved the UK program in the right direction ... but at some point, you have to decide if you want to be so bold as to actually compete with the best in this conference. I honestly don't believe Stoops has the talent to pull it off and I don't believe Barnhart is willing to make the necessary decisions with personnel to give this program a chance rise above where it currently stands. What we see today is as good as it will ever be with Stoops and crew.
Totally agree.

Reactions: Bluesbrother
Did anyone hear Stoops after the game say something like he' is not going back this year. Mentioned something about players tainting the program after a loss like that? Not sure what all he was referring to with that statement but he was mad. Also, his tone makes you think a lot of people will pay for that embarrassing performance. Also mentioned the coaches.

• Wow
Reactions: RunninRichie
Did anyone hear Stoops after the game say something like he' is not going back this year. Mentioned something about players tainting the program after a loss like that? Not sure what all he was referring to with that statement but he was mad. Also, his tone makes you think a lot of people will pay for that embarrassing performance. Also mentioned the coaches.
Marquan McCall was on Instagram after the game going "sheeeesh" bad look all around.

Well,lets see...

You can hold the O-Line coach accountable for Burton's antics....okay.

But what about the Defense? Who do hold accountable for the "Tom Brady" display against our D? I mean make some type of adjustment, plz....

Stoops said he 'wasn't' going back like he did last year after a loss. Then he said something to the effect of players doing something. Just did not understand what he was talking about. Last year he allowed something after losses but not this year. Anyway, he needs to find one guy that can effectively rush the QB before it happens again.

Listen to the guys in the booth they’re saying the same thing. You get 4 shots. Listen I’m not saying we should be winning but we shouldn’t look so unorganized and poorly coached. It’s an embarrassment
This is the central point. As a fanbase, we're unhappy, not because of the loss but because we cannot say that we are proud of our team because they put up a valiant effort and gave it their all but ultimately lost to the better team. Playing each week, in this conference, is a reality check for aspiring SEC teams who are trying to improve in the conference and on the national landscape. Kentucky has improved under Stoops and although good teams will always have losses each season, teams that have solid leadership and coaching should always still inspire the players and fanbase even when they lose. There was little to inspire anyone against Georgia, which speaks more to the inadequacy of the coaching and preparation and apparently admitted by Stoops.

Last edited:
IMO, which doesn't mean much, we lost this game as soon as the scoreboard read 00:00 after the Florida game. You could tell that the team wasn’t focused during practice all week as Stoops was clearly frustrated during every press conference. This team is simply very immature, undisciplined, and has no leadership. You wanna walk into Athens and battle? Change your mentality first.

IMO, which doesn't mean much, we lost this game as soon as the scoreboard read 00:00 after the Florida game. You could tell that the team wasn’t focused during practice all week as Stoops was clearly frustrated during every press conference. This team is simply very immature, undisciplined, and has no leadership. You wanna walk into Athens and battle? Change your mentality first.
True.

He's lucky we fill up cupcakes before SEC play. Very over paid and overrated coach around here.
It's a lot more likely that UK is holding Mark Stoops back at this point as opposed to the other way around.

He can compete with mediocre teams but his teams fall apart when they play top talent. This is the worst quarter of uk fb in a long time. so unprepared. It’s inexcusable to keep giving this guy top 10 money when this is the product he puts. It’s embarrassing. The 4th time completely unprepared for a program changing game. Not once in those 4 games has stoops put his team in a position to even compete. Total embarrassment
We need coaches like we had last 50 years huh Card fan?

And that logic totally ignores how different the program is today than it was 15 years ago. The investment and infrastructure is there to have a better program than what we do. At no point in UK’s history has there been this level of financial support and facilities for the football program.

UC has made the playoff. TCU made the national title. Washington made the playoff. Northwestern made a Big 10 championship game. I’m sure there’s a dozen more schools that aren’t tradition rich that have reached high levels. But I’m constantly reading how UK cannot be one of those teams. I’m tired of the defeatist attitude.
None of the teams you listed have to get through Kentucky's schedule. We have had a couple teams that could have achieved their records against their schedules.

• Love
Reactions: Nintendo
Stoops is not Saban but putting everything into perspective, he has had that type of impact on UK. We were just hoping to win a game prior to him at UK. Now we are competing in the SEC with a legitimate shot at possibly winning the conference on a given year when all the stars align perfectly. The days of hoping to just win an SEC game, hopefully your OOC cupcakes and UL is over. That was the old ceiling. The new ceiling is double digit wins.

He is flawed and he drives me nuts at times, but UK should erect a statue of him based on what his teams have done. For many years people are dancing in the streets if somehow UK became bowl eligible. Stoops has them playing in bowl games every year. He has also won quite a few of them. He has crapped the bed in big games, but its because of his success that we think we have a chance in these games.

Reactions: RunninRichie
None of the teams you listed have to get through Kentucky's schedule. We have had a couple teams that could have achieved their records against their schedules.
Our schedule is tough this year, but for the most part it’s been manageable. Tennessee, Florida, Vandy, South Carolina, Mississippi State, and Missouri is as easy of an SEC slate we could ever dream of. Those schools have had some good years during Stoops’ tenure, but there’s been a lot of down years for those schools as well. Georgia is a juggernaut. Outside of that, most of the SEC East has been down.

We can go year by year and look, but I don’t think the SEC East that Stoops has faced is much more challenging than what Washington, TCU or Michigan State have faced.

Stoops has done everything he can at this point, but unless there is a coach a tier above that will 100% come to UK, Stoops is the next best thing despite his flaws and limitations.

Could we perhaps scoop up a beaten down Saban from Bama for one last ride at a program for a few years? Hell no, but it's a fun thought.

Something to consider. What if Stoops/Coen/White had Georgia’s roster and Kirby had UKs? Is GA undefeated? Is UK undefeated?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT