ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops is not a big time coach

Wildcats1st

All-American
Sep 16, 2017
He can compete with mediocre teams but his teams fall apart when they play top talent. This is the worst quarter of uk fb in a long time. so unprepared. It’s inexcusable to keep giving this guy top 10 money when this is the product he puts. It’s embarrassing. The 4th time completely unprepared for a program changing game. Not once in those 4 games has stoops put his team in a position to even compete. Total embarrassment

He can compete with mediocre teams but his teams fall apart when they play top talent. This is the worst quarter of uk fb in a long time. so unprepared. It’s inexcusable to keep giving this guy top 10 money when this is the product he puts. It’s embarrassing. The 4th time completely unprepared for a program changing game. Not once in those 4 games has stoops put his team in a position to even compete. Total embarrassment
Pretty unreal

He is a big time coach for KY. You need to have perspective.

LMAO...Getting UK 2 10 win seasons is proof he is an excellent coach. One season could be labeled a fluke but 2 is not. 7 bowl games in a row. 2 Citrus Bowl victories.

We're getting destroyed by the #1 team and back to back champions at home. Don't make this more than it is.

Stoops is perfect for UK. He gets paid top 10 money to win 9 regular season games 3 or 4 times in a decade perhaps.

At UK that's awesome due to our atrocious overall history.

Stoops isn't the problem. It's the fans with unrealistic top end expectations. The sooner people realize UK isnt winning the SEC or national title probably ever due to the inferior recruiting classes and top-tier talent and coaching depth of the sec opponents then it gets way less stressful.

In pro sports it's supposed to be more level playing field. In college it's not even close. It's the haves and have nots

LMAO...Getting UK 2 10 win seasons is proof he is an excellent coach. One season could be labeled a fluke but 2 is not. 7 bowl games in a row. 2 Citrus Bowl victories.

We're getting destroyed by the #1 team and back to back champions at home. Don't make this more than it is.
This is on pace for the worst loss in a long time. That first half is the worst in a very long time. We can beat mid level teams but can’t compete at the top. 10 wins seasons were great but losing like this well it’s all because of poor coaching. No stoops is fine for uk but forget ever winning the east. That will never happen with this coach. So now we stall.

Stoops is perfect for UK. He gets paid top 10 money to win 9 regular season games 3 or 4 times in a decade perhaps.

Stoops isn't the problem. It's the fans with unrealistic top end expectations. The sooner people realize UK isnt winning the SEC or national title probably ever due to the inferior recruiting classes and top-tier talent and coaching depth of the sec opponents then it gets way less stressful.

In pro sports it's supposed to be more level playing field. In college it's not even close. It's the haves and have nots
So your saying strive for 7-5(see what I did there) for the next 60 years and then expect more? Sorry, I'm new to this expectation thing. 🤔

So your saying strive for 7-5(see what I did there) for the next 60 years and then expect more? Sorry, I'm new to this expectation thing. 🤔

You expect whatever u want. If the majority of our opponents have better players and coaches don't think you will ever get the results you are hoping for.

Reactions: catlogic15

Get better players - try that

Reactions: catswillwin
He’s an extension of our delusional AD who actually thinks we should be competing for SEC titles and national championships. That’s why he’s paid like a Top 10 coach who puts a Top 30 product on the field.

This is on pace for the worst loss in a long time. That first half is the worst in a very long time. We can beat mid level teams but can’t compete at the top. 10 wins seasons were great but losing like this well it’s all because of poor coaching. No stoops is fine for uk but forget ever winning the east. That will never happen with this coach. So now we stall.
And that’s the infuriating part when people question elevated expectations. There’s nothing wrong with wanting progress, yet there are some fans that down that because of our past. We should expect to compete and win the east because that’s what brings progress.

He’s an extension of our delusional AD who actually thinks we should be competing for SEC titles and national championships. That’s why he’s paid like a Top 10 coach who puts a Top 30 product on the field.
Nope. He's paid because he wins 10 games every few years. Something no coach has done since Bear Bryant was here. Make no mistake about it. But damn it we should look for more than that.

We weren't prepared very well for this game, I'll give you that. But, if you can't notice the difference in the level of athletes at Georgia compared to what we have I don't know what else anyone coukd tell you. We are just so far behind the Athletic talents of a team like Georgia and other top tier programs. Doubt that will change much no matter who are coach is. And, we will never get coaches like Smart, Saban, etc. to come to UK. Let's try to enjoy what we have compared to our horrific past.

Nope. He's paid because he wins 10 games every few years. Something no coach has done since Bear Bryant was here. Make no mistake about it. But damn it we should look for more than that.
With all due respect the bear got over the hump and brought us our only title. Stoops has been able to master beating decent teams and getting killed by top notch. If he wants to be talked about with the bear he ll win the sec east at minimum but that isn’t happening now with the new alignment

With all due respect the bear got over the hump and brought us our only title. Stoops has been able to master beating decent teams and getting killed by top notch. If he wants to be talked about with the bear he ll win the sec east at minimum but that isn’t happening now with the new alignment
I'm not arguing with you. I agree with you. I was just stating why Stoops is paid. I'm sick of being happy with a bowl win against Iowa. I want more. Sadly our Admin, AD, and fanbase is content with 10 wins every 4 years and getting blown out by UGA, UT, and whoever else wants to take a turn.

The fans that think UK football can’t be more than what it is because of the poor history are far more harmful to the program than those that want and demand them to move forward. No one is expecting Stoops to win the national title every year. Winning the division and beating Georgia occasionally would be nice. Stoops has 1 top 10 win in 10+ years at UK.

The fans that think UK football can’t be more than what it is because of the poor history are far more harmful to the program than those that want and demand them to move forward. No one is expecting Stoops to win the national title every year. Winning the division and beating Georgia occasionally would be nice. Stoops has 1 top 10 win in 10+ years at UK.
Absolutely. ''well what do you expect guys? we are just a poor small southern basketball school". Hell no! Demand more.

Divisions are gone. So now it's finding a way to win the top 2 n sec going forward.

We can expect more all we want but who is gonna buy the better players to do it?

Absolutely. ''well what do you expect guys? we are just a poor small southern basketball school". Hell no! Demand more.
And that logic totally ignores how different the program is today than it was 15 years ago. The investment and infrastructure is there to have a better program than what we do. At no point in UK’s history has there been this level of financial support and facilities for the football program.

UC has made the playoff. TCU made the national title. Washington made the playoff. Northwestern made a Big 10 championship game. I’m sure there’s a dozen more schools that aren’t tradition rich that have reached high levels. But I’m constantly reading how UK cannot be one of those teams. I’m tired of the defeatist attitude.

And that logic totally ignores how different the program is today than it was 15 years ago. The investment and infrastructure is there to have a better program than what we do. At no point in UK’s history has there been this level of financial support and facilities for the football program.

UC has made the playoff. TCU made the national title. Washington made the playoff. Northwestern made a Big 10 championship game. I’m sure there’s a dozen more schools that aren’t tradition rich that have reached high levels. But I’m constantly reading how UK cannot be one of those teams. I’m tired of the defeatist attitude.

And how many of those teams play n the sec?

You expect whatever u want. If the majority of our opponents have better players and coaches don't think you will ever get the results you are hoping for.
So we have seen Stoops ceiling, should we not want more as a fan base? I agree Stoops has taken UK to unfamiliar territory and has done great things for the program, but why settle? Is it unfair to want more? Obviously there is a talent discrepancy, I just don't see Stoops closing the gap without wins, NIL, or both. Trust me, I get the narrative of "look where we came from," but with success, should come greater expectations.

I'm not arguing with you. I agree with you. I was just stating why Stoops is paid. I'm sick of being happy with a bowl win against Iowa. I want more. Sadly our Admin, AD, and fanbase is content with 10 wins every 4 years and getting blown out by UGA, UT, and whoever else wants to take a turn.
So just to be clear, are you saying we should fire Stoops?

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
So we have seen Stoops ceiling, should we not want more as a fan base? I agree Stoops has taken UK to unfamiliar territory and has done great things for the program, but why settle? Is it unfair to want more? Obviously there is a talent discrepancy, I just don't see Stoops closing the gap without wins, NIL, or both. Trust me, I get the narrative of "look where we came from," but with success, should come greater expectations.

We can want all we want.

Those that are n power signing the guy who can win things that matter is another story.

We can sign Dabo or a younger saban but he won't win anything that matters if we can't get the consistent recruiting classes to win the games on the field. Just IMO.

And how many of those teams play n the sec?
For most of Stoops’ tenure the SEC East has been down. Tennessee was a dumpster fire for a while. Florida is a shell of itself. South Carolina bas been bad for the most part. Same with Missouri. Vandy is horrendous.

Outside of Georgia, none of our regular SEC opponents have been anything to write home about. Our SEC West opponent has been Mississippi State, who hasn’t been anything special. Our conference slate has been more than manageable throughout most of Stoops’ tenure.

Pretty much. Stoops has achieved a lot. UK is not laughable (except for tonight) most weeks. Have had 2 10 win seasons the last few years.

Stoops cannot get the elite players here. Not gonna happen. Has games where his teams look lost, but compared to most of my life, UK football now is the best it's been since Bear Bryant coached here.

I would like more. I would like elite level football here. National title level. It just ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
I still think it Kentucky wins next week they get 8-9 wins. Tennessee at home is always up and down game at home, miss state is down and Kentucky should win. Bama is good but it’s at home who knows. Scar isn’t great that game should be close. And Louisville rivalry game who knows

All true, IMO, and makes Barnhart's decision to keep giving the guy unreasonable contract extensions and raises very questionable. There is no doubt that Stoops has moved the UK program in the right direction ... but at some point, you have to decide if you want to be so bold as to actually compete with the best in this conference. I honestly don't believe Stoops has the talent to pull it off and I don't believe Barnhart is willing to make the necessary decisions with personnel to give this program a chance rise above where it currently stands. What we see today is as good as it will ever be with Stoops and crew.

He is a big time coach for KY. You need to have perspective.
I would disagree. UK can be whatever real leaders can imagine and are courageous enough to pursue. The fanbase is ready but too many administrators too cowardly to take this program higher.

Reactions: bigbluedon
For most of Stoops’ tenure the SEC East has been down. Tennessee was a dumpster fire for a while. Florida is a shell of itself. South Carolina bas been bad for the most part. Same with Missouri. Vandy is horrendous.

Outside of Georgia, none of our regular SEC opponents have been anything to write home about. Our SEC West opponent has been Mississippi State, who hasn’t been anything special. Our conference slate has been more than manageable throughout most of Stoops’ tenure.

All fair points. Stoops hasn't even beat msu on the road. Hope that changes this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT