ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

I wonder how much Tesla will go up once all the fund managers are forced to buy in?

One bull analyst sets $560 as the target price.....I saw on Barron's Report today that the ceiling may be $1000 again. Yea!!!

Oh my, I hope so as I went through the 5-1 split and bought more when the price settled at $303 after the split.

The XPEV Chinese stock went up again to day to $60+ (From $22) last I had a chance to look.

Yes indeed, EV stocks are really hot lately. BEEM and BLNK, battery charging stations companies, are also on fire right now. Check them out.

• Wow
Reactions: Chuckinden
I wish Tesla would spin of the Energy Generation and Storage division from the cars as I think it has much more potential. What has always bothered me about their business model is half of it's domestic auto sales are in one state - California, and there are few full service centers anywhere outside that state. Also I just don't see it making inroads on the more established manufactures as Tesla still has the image of being an expensive status symbol for the latte liberals and adult hippies.

I have my stock in a regular trading account. Can I open a Roth IRA and trade stock inside of it without paying taxes when I take it out at age 59 1/2?

I wish Tesla would spin of the Energy Generation and Storage division from the cars as I think it has much more potential. What has always bothered me about their business model is half of it's domestic auto sales are in one state - California, and there are few full service centers anywhere outside that state. Also I just don't see it making inroads on the more established manufactures as Tesla still has the image of being an expensive status symbol for the latte liberals and adult hippies.

I see your concern.

TESLA this year opened a factory in China for the Asian market, and built one in Germany near Berlin for the Euro market, due to begin production soon. Also, another factory will be opened in the SW USA soon, I think in Arizona, and will be able to handle the America's demand for them.

The more they build and sell, will, in time, reduce the price. The Chinese companies will provide plenty of competition for a lower priced EV in the USA...so competition from them will have an affect for the lower priced EV market too.

The EG&S division is making the batteries that will power the EV's and keep TESLA less dependent on outside sources for the key component of their vehicle. Their solar division is expanding to other parts of the US as a new project in Mississippi home building subdivision is underway. The EV's and Solar Roofs complement each other in more ways than they don't if you think about it....clean energy.

GM has only recently announced their plans to build more EV's and are moving in the direction to draw down production of gas CE's. Also, GM recently partnered up with Nikola for use of their EV technology that they so far, lag behind TESLA.

If the government gets even more behind EV production, the more established car manufacturers will have to adapt or they will die the slow death of America 1.0 companies as the America 2.0, 4th Industrial Revolution companies lay them to waste. Just a matter of time. Change business model or go the way of the horse and buggy when Ford came around.

Two other areas to look at investing in are lithium mining companies (needed to make batteries) and companies that make battery charging stations for the flood of EVs coming of age in America on the road and on a corner near you.

Happy investing and good fortune to you all.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I see your concern.

TESLA this year opened a factory in China for the Asian market, and built one in Germany near Berlin for the Euro market, due to begin production soon. Also, another factory will be opened in the SW USA soon, I think in Arizona, and will be able to handle the America's demand for them.

The more they build and sell, will, in time, reduce the price. The Chinese companies will provide plenty of competition for a lower priced EV in the USA...so competition from them will have an affect for the lower priced EV market too.

The EG&S division is making the batteries that will power the EV's and keep TESLA less dependent on outside sources for the key component of their vehicle. Their solar division is expanding to other parts of the US as a new project in Mississippi home building subdivision is underway. The EV's and Solar Roofs complement each other in more ways than they don't if you think about it....clean energy.

GM has only recently announced their plans to build more EV's and are moving in the direction to draw down production of gas CE's. Also, GM recently partnered up with Nikola for use of their EV technology that they so far, lag behind TESLA.

If the government gets even more behind EV production, the more established car manufacturers will have to adapt or they will die the slow death of America 1.0 companies as the America 2.0, 4th Industrial Revolution companies lay them to waste. Just a matter of time. Change business model or go the way of the horse and buggy when Ford came around.

Two other areas to look at investing in are lithium mining companies (needed to make batteries) and companies that make battery charging stations for the flood of EVs coming of age in America on the road and on a corner near you.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
ALB, NVDA and F is how I've been playing so far.

I see your concern.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Well said. It's also worth noting that you shouldn't view EV's in the traditional car sense. The thing that will blow the doors off of money production will be autonomous driving......which EV's seem to be huge leaders in. If people can drive their car to work......then the car goes out and generates revenue while someone's at work.....then comes back to pick them up to drive home. This would be huge.

ALB, NVDA and F is how I've been playing so far.

Time for you to take a look at more lithium, EV chargers, and the advent of so many new EV companies foreign and domestic.....or you will be missing out on some huge growth company gains in the very, very near future and beyond.

Nio 21.50% over the last 5 days
XPEV 63.65%
LI 22.76%
Tesla 27.88%

The hard part about playing chicken is knowing when to flinch.

I'm in Tesla for the long haul.....so, no change there. I think that Nio has shown enough positive growth and backing (even though they aren't yet generating positive revenue) that they are worth long term staying.

The question comes more from Li and Xpeng. These have taken off like a rocket and I'm thinking about keeping my trailing stop-loss a little closer........but how much is too close to set the stop-loss?

Reactions: Mayoman
Time for you to take a look at more lithium, EV chargers, and the advent of so many new EV companies foreign and domestic.....or you will be missing out on some huge growth company gains in the very, very near future and beyond.
Haha, not at all worried about missing out. Happy to have a foot in the door with slow and steady returns for the remaining bulk of my portfolio. Although I did start buying BABA last week.

The old adage, don’t fall in love with your stock.

When you get a big gain that starts to feel too good to be true - it usually is. Sell some or all of it. Take your gains even if you end up leaving some or a lot on the table in future growth of that stock. Make the decision and don’t look back. Odds are you will get a chance to buy it back if you like it that much.

For example, I sold SBE today at 40 after buying at 15 almost 3 months ago and it did nothing for a couple of months up until November. I really like the long-term prospects of SBE and would like to get back in at some point, but my gut says there will be a correction at some point ... I may end up being wrong, but I am satisfied with the return.

Don‘t fall in love with your stock.

Note: EV sector has been on fire. I hope folks have made some mint on automobiles, charging, batteries, ... it’s been crazy and there’s more yet to be had in the sector both in the short (ex., PIC) and long-term, just watch out for those corrections along the way.

The old adage, don’t fall in love with your stock.

When you get a big gain that starts to feel too good to be true - it usually is. Sell some or all of it. Take your gains even if you end up leaving some or a lot on the table in future growth of that stock. Make the decision and don’t look back. Odds are you will get a chance to buy it back if you like it that much.

For example, I sold SBE today at 40 after buying at 15 almost 3 months ago and it did nothing for a couple of months up until November. I really like the long-term prospects of SBE and would like to get back in at some point, but my gut says there will be a correction at some point ... I may end up being wrong, but I am satisfied with the return.

Don‘t fall in love with your stock.

Note: EV sector has been on fire. I hope folks have made some mint on automobiles, charging, batteries, ... it’s been crazy and there’s more yet to be had in the sector both in the short (ex., PIC) and long-term, just watch out for those corrections along the way.
Do you use Sell Stop orders? I am new to individual stock trading and trying to figure this out. I have had four different stocks start to really move and I set Sell Stop orders at 10% drops and adjusted the Sell Stop as the stocks reached new highs. Each time the stocks dropped just enough to trigger the sell and then rebounded before I could react. WKHS was this mornings example. I made money, but I missed out on bigger gains. Is 10% to tight? Is there another strategy that I am not understanding? I can't baby sit all day long.

Last edited:
Do you use Sell Stop orders? I am new to individual stock trading and trying to figure this out. I have had four different stocks start to really move and I set Sell Stop orders at 10% drops and adjusted the Sell Stop as the stocks reached new highs. Each time the stocks dropped just enough to trigger the sell and then rebounded to new highs before I could react. WKHS was this mornings example. I made money, but I missed out on bigger gains. Is 10% to tight? Is there another strategy that I am not understanding? I can't baby sit all day long.

Needless to say there’s no perfect solution when dealing with highly volatile stocks like WKHS, etc. The market makers know what they are doing to cause a big sell off that triggers stop losses at seemingly just the right level that shakes the retail stockholders out so that the big investment firms can buy up the cheap shares and then the stock shoots back up and there you are ... the retail investor has to recognize what they are up against.

Another option is a trailing stop loss - read up on it and see what you think. Though, the downside of a trailing stop loss with a volatile stock like WKHS is that you are going to sell quicker than you like. Alternatively, you just sell at a high and buy back in at a lower level (the risk is assuming a dip will occur when you want), but that requires a lot of baby sitting of the charts. If I am sitting there looking at it, I may buy and sell the same stock a couple of times a day If it’s something I want to maintain.

For the pure day trader out there, which doesn‘t sound like you are investing like that, they are swinging in and out of a stock or scalping a few stocks every day. There’s no emotional attachment and no real affinity for a long hold. It’s completely based on the chart technicals. It’s a job for them rather than an interest for the casual trader.

Do you use Sell Stop orders? I am new to individual stock trading and trying to figure this out. I have had four different stocks start to really move and I set Sell Stop orders at 10% drops and adjusted the Sell Stop as the stocks reached new highs. Each time the stocks dropped just enough to trigger the sell and then rebounded before I could react. WKHS was this mornings example. I made money, but I missed out on bigger gains. Is 10% to tight? Is there another strategy that I am not understanding? I can't baby sit all day long.

When I'm just getting into something, I'll set it close......10%. But once I get up a little bit.......suppose I'm up about 30-40% or more.......I'll set a trailing stop loss closer to 15% or more.....

Reactions: Lamar Card
I don't use them for the exact reason you described.

I buy companies I'm interested in holding for 10 to 20 years. That's where the profit is. Buy great companies and hold them. Even add on with dips.

Some guys trade and that's ok. Especially now with no fees. Do what works for you and have fun.

I do a mixture. Mostly long term.....value buys. But I do use swing trades to get quick influxes of money to fund my long term buys.

Looking for something new to jump into. Any ideas?

1. China - I expect Biden will ease off of China. JD, BABA, Tencent, etc
2. EVs are going nuts. Buy into or more of Tesla before fund managers have to buy......and before their factories open in Japan and Germany. They’ll probably take off over the next 1-2 yrs. Nio looks like a good buy. Riskier plays are Li, Xpeng, SBE, Plug, etc.
3. Risky plays. Some SPACs starting.....Longview, etc. Also, Ark Invest keeps buying NNDM.

1. China - I expect Biden will ease off of China. JD, BABA, Tencent, etc
2. EVs are going nuts. Buy into or more of Tesla before fund managers have to buy....and before their factories open in Japan and Germany. They’ll probably take off over the next 1-2 yrs. Nio looks like a good buy. Riskier plays are Li, Xpeng, SBE, Plug, etc.
3. Risky plays. Some SPACs starting.....Longview, etc. Also, Ark Invest keeps buying NNDM.

BR...likely an oversight on your part...the TESLA factory is in China not Japan and it is already in production. The one in Berlin, Germany will open for production in 2021 and is already built. Also, TESLA, is building another plant in the USA in/near Austin TX. Not sure of the expected completion date of that factory.

I second your recommendation of all the riskier plays....but Biden will likely help them succeed with his intended policies are implemented. I tripled my money with Xpeng in the last month. It was really hot until this week and has dropped back some.

Good Fortune to all !!!

I’ve had a fine year, but a big lull since the election, guess my winners got tired and a few of my replacements haven’t worked. Three big EPS report for me late tomorrow, especially SPWH, guns and ammo, I also hold a smaller position on similar stock, VSTO. New picks? Well the ETF I recently bought, IPO, should pay off at least another year, I would think. I also got some GME, aggressively going to get competitive with a new CEO, AVNW and KBR seemingly in good sectors.

Might be a good time to get involved with or add to pot names after the beating the last couple days. APHA, CGC, CRON, GRWG all down.

Reactions: lz
BR...likely an oversight on your part...the TESLA factory is in China not Japan and it is already in production. The one in Berlin, Germany will open for production in 2021 and is already built. Also, TESLA, is building another plant in the USA in/near Austin TX. Not sure of the expected completion date of that factory.

I second your recommendation of all the riskier plays....but Biden will likely help them succeed with his intended policies are implemented. I tripled my money with Xpeng in the last month. It was really hot until this week and has dropped back some.

Good Fortune to all !!!

Yes. Thanks for the correction.

I too did very well with Nio, XPEV, and Li. The EV sector as a whole is pulling back. I took my profits in Xpeng and Li......held Nio. If Xpeng and Li continue to drop, I might buy right back in.

I suggest you pick up a copy of William O'Neil's book on position trading The Successful Investor
he gives you a solid approach to position trading using charts. How to use stop orders and limit orders etc.

I no longer position trade, my personal investment strategy is now based on analyzing future trends and investing long term in companies that are position to take advantage of those trends. i.e. Amazon as people continue to switch from brick and mortar to on-line shopping; alternative energy technology companies as GCC becomes a greater worldwide focus; and Google as the internet continues to expand and they dominate advertising with Adwords, and youtube, and now are the leading streaming service with youtube TV.

Literally all investors looking dumb early today, I’m keep my hands away from the trigger right now, some EPS reports, pending vaccines and a lot of politics to digest the next several weeks.

Literally all investors looking dumb early today, I’m keep my hands away from the trigger right now, some EPS reports, pending vaccines and a lot of politics to digest the next several weeks.
I put a few stop loss orders in today, but they never hit.

MRNA and NVAX have been roller coaster rides. Expecting a more steady climb with PFE but not as quickly obviously.

OPES merger vote with BurgerFi set for December 15. It's at $14 now, would expect a run to $20 or over around merger date. Good short opportunity.

MRNA and NVAX have been roller coaster rides. Expecting a more steady climb with PFE but not as quickly obviously.

OPES merger vote with BurgerFi set for December 15. It's at $14 now, would expect a run to $20 or over around merger date. Good short opportunity.
PFE recently spun off the old "Upjohn Business" combined with Mylan N.V. on 11/16. Spinoff is now known as Viatris (VTRS). PFE common shareholders received 0.124 shares of VTRS. This spinoff also explains share price hit on that date. I just found out today.

ADVERTISEMENT