ADVERTISEMENT

Stl Cardinals Thread

I loved Jack as a player, but he has not been good with money. He has filed two bankruptcies. I recall one player saying that as Jack was driving to the ball park one day, he stopped and bought two expensive sports cars.

Remember Pedro Guerrero? The Dodgers were trying to make him a third baseman without success. The coaches had a sit down with him. They asked him what he was thinking when the pitcher threw the ball. He said, please don't hit the ball to me. They asked him what else he was thinking. He said, please don't hit the ball to Sax either. If you recall, Sax was a second baseman who was notorious for bad throws to first base.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Throw in a Bob Horner reference as well. Whitey tried to recreate the same magic with different players once that era started to fade. Pendleton went to atl, van slyke to Pitt, Clark went out west I believe. Coleman got hurt. Ozzie was getting old.

I loved Jack as a player, but he has not been good with money. He has filed two bankruptcies. I recall one player saying that as Jack was driving to the ball park one day, he stopped and bought two expensive sports cars.

Remember Pedro Guerrero? The Dodgers were trying to make him a third baseman without success. The coaches had a sit down with him. They asked him what he was thinking when the pitcher threw the ball. He said, please don't hit the ball to me. They asked him what else he was thinking. He said, please don't hit the ball to Sax either. If you recall, Sax was a second baseman who was notorious for bad throws to first base.
I always enjoyed seeing that! But I confess, there were times when I was playing 1st base I would try to turn a double play and I ended up throwing the ball into left field so I understand the mental aspect of it. 🤣

Reactions: berniecarbo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT