ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Kerr and Clark Kellogg summarize everything that is wrong with Cal's tournament coaching...

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
From the 2012 national title game.

At the 13:00 minute mark, and with Kentucky up 12, Calipari started slowing the game down. Here is what Kerr and Kellogg had to say:

Steve Kerr: "If you're Kentucky right now, I think you've got to be careful about this game slowing down. There's thirteen minutes to go. You still have to play with pace and tempo and efficiency. You can't run the clock out at this point."

Clark Kellogg: "No, you can't drive the car with the parking brake on. You've got to continue to attack and do the speed limit."

Steve Kerr: "You know, this is what happened to Kentucky and Calipari against Vanderbilt in that SEC tournament game that they lost. They were in control. It wasn't a huge differential - about 6 or 7 points, most of the second half - but the last six, seven minutes, they stopped playing."

Clark Kellogg: "They did. I watched that game, you're right."

Drives me absolutely insane! He’s cost us so many big games by taking the air out of the ball. And, 99% or the time we have more talent and superior athletes. Make it make sense! 🤦‍♂️
I know, ugh. The worst will always be 2015. I know Poythress’s injury put a hurt on the platoon but when we actually did it teams couldn’t stay within 30 points of us. Going against that cost us the perfect season.

At the 13:00 minute mark, and with Kentucky up 12, Calipari started slowing the game down. Here is what Kerr and Kellogg had to say:

Steve Kerr: "If you're Kentucky right now, I think you've got to be careful about this game slowing down. There's thirteen minutes to go. You still have to play with pace and tempo and efficiency. You can't run the clock out at this point."

Clark Kellogg: "No, you can't drive the car with the parking brake on. You've got to continue to attack and do the speed limit."

Steve Kerr: "You know, this is what happened to Kentucky and Calipari against Vanderbilt in that SEC tournament game that they lost. They were in control. It wasn't a huge differential - about 6 or 7 points, most of the second half - but the last six, seven minutes, they stopped playing."

This has been Cal his whole career, and he ain't magically changing this year. He's 63, 64 years old. This is who he is.

I do agree, Cal tends to try to slow the game down too early and it sometimes bits him in the butt yet he never learns.

You mean you don’t see the elite coaching in those sets where dribble with Pg top of key, then have your bigs stand at the foul line, your guard on baseline and he runs with his back to basket off of picks from the bigs and gets the ball from Pg…and we do it all over again until 8 seconds on shot clock and heave up crap shot….

He’s in hall of fame people!

Yet Cal has won more tourney games than any coach over the last 14 seasons.

Beaten more higher seeded teams than any coach over the last 14 seasons.

Of course he’s made mistakes. That will happen over the course of coaching well over 1000 games.

But he’s won over 800 of them.

How many college wins total between double K?

Of course he’s made mistakes. That will happen over the course of coaching well over 1000 games.

Stop Brad.

He made mistakes

like having the worst season in modern UK history while some kid named .., Blunte? Uh or was it Slice? sat on the bench.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Every big game of his tenure at UK ... and the title he lost at Memphis. Cal better be up 15+ in the NCAAT late in the 2H or we'll be sweating bullets.

Every big game of his tenure at UK ... and the title he lost at Memphis. Cal better be up 15+ in the NCAAT late in the 2H or we'll be sweating bullets.

You'd think he'd factor in that they hate him and they'll screw him if it's close, which he knows, so you'd think he'd make sure it wasn't close enough for the refs to determine the outcome.

Play to win not play not to lose.
Keep the pedal to the medal
Keep pressure on opponent
Stall ball with the lead happens in every sport and it makes no sense. I get that you are letting the other team get more chances if you keep the pedal down BUT if you were beating them handily with the pedal down you gotta figure it's going to continue.

Only had tn have K and Roy to retire to make this happen

And nice stat massage to take off the years to get Cal ahead of Self

Stall ball with the lead happens in every sport and it makes no sense. I get that you are letting the other team get more chances if you keep the pedal down BUT if you were beating them handily with the pedal down you gotta figure it's going to continue.
For all of Cal's talk about "trusting his players", he really doesn't trust them when he attempts to micromanage the pace in the last 5 minutes of these clutch games.

Too many times I've seen Cal resort to desperate 1-4 sets where guys like Rose and Andrew Harrison were forced to take off-balance, contested driving floaters from inside the free throw line as the shot clock expires.

It's disgusting basketball, and just off the top of my head I can remember Ulis, Keldon Johnson, SGA, Rose, Andrew Harrison, and Hagans being forced into those situations.

Cal's a disgrace of a head coach. One title is absolutely unfathomable with the amount of talent he's had.

For all of Cal's talk about "trusting his players", he really doesn't trust them when he attempts to micromanage the pace in the last 5 minutes of these clutch games.

Too many times I've seen Cal resort to desperate 1-4 sets where guys like Rose and Andrew Harrison were forced to take off-balance, contested driving floaters from inside the free throw line as the shot clock expires.

It's disgusting basketball, and just off the top of my head I can remember Ulis, Keldon Johnson, SGA, Rose, Andrew Harrison, and Hagans being forced into those situations.

Cal's a disgrace of a head coach. One title is absolutely unfathomable with the amount of talent he's had.

Looks like you are eaten up with hatred…..over a game. Best of luck.

Reactions: awf and Graham51

Truth
Could also be called choking

14 seasons...what a strange number. You don't see statisticians use numbers like that. It's almost as if you were deliberately excluding other years. Most people would use 10, 15, or 20. But not you. I wonder why that is.

Reactions: yoshukai
In the NCAA tournament you better be sweating bullets no matter who you are, I think some really have no clue how difficult and bitter hard competition is at that level.

In the NCAA tournament you better be sweating bullets no matter who you are, I think some really have no clue how difficult and bitter hard competition is at that level.
Oh we get it.

We also understand then when you coach 50+ NBA players, 4 #1 picks, 23 lottery picks, and ten or eleven NBA All Stars over a career that spans 30+ years, you better have more than one title.

Oh we get it.

We also understand then when you coach 50+ NBA players, 4 #1 picks, 23 lottery picks, and ten or eleven NBA All Stars over a career that spans 30+ years, you better have more than one title.
That are children. Playing against men. You hater types always leave that out. Somehow you can’t grasp young talent is a far cry from experienced skill As I said, you have no grasp of what is required to compete at that level. It ain’t PlayStation.

Reactions: Graham51
That are children. Playing against men. You hater types always leave that out. Somehow you can’t grasp young talent is a far cry from experienced skill As I said, you have no grasp of what is required to compete at that level. It ain’t PlayStation.
Instead of reading the words you write when you respond to me, this is what I see in my mind whenever you post:

richard-simmons-shuffle.gif

I think Coach Cal also made a comment recently about how his best teams takeover and win despite his coaching.....I just dont like that, he's implying that their will to win is stronger than his own. I think you have to make adjustments based on what the opponent is doing.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
It's a bit comical that we're bringing up comments made during a game that we won, by 8 no less. Has slowing down cost games in the past? Yeah, probably, but we can't say that with absolute certainty. But I do laugh a little bit on basing this argument on a win IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT