ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Forbes on reaction from UK fans after his comments

Agree. Only scenario I can think of, that compares is what Ryan turned Wisconsin into. Just off the top of my head.

What Cal did at UMass was impressive. IMO, it should(But wont) silence those whoquestion his coaching.

Your comparison was idiotic and lacked any real substance. Cal and Forbes aren’t good analogies. I’m not surprised a goof like you didn’t get it and still doesn’t.

Go back to the main board where your amateur hour nonsense is coddled and tolerated. What the hell do you come here for? No need in proving your incompetence to think and form an opinion.

Exactly where did I do that? I didn't. AGAIN...Not comparing resumes. Not comparing coaches...Not comparing what one did here, opposed to what one did there.

My point is------Most coaches start at the bottom.I thought I made that pretty clear.

Funny though---I don't see ya upset that I "compared" Forbes to Self or Ryan...[smoke]

Again my friend---Not comparing Forbes to Cal. Just comparing the starts--As in,BOTH, along with many other of coaches, started damn near at the bottom...
Of course I wasn’t upset you compared him to Self or Ryan. Why would I be? Anyway, the trajectory between him and Cal is vastly different. Dude’s 55 and just started at lowly Wake Forest. I get they all have to start somewhere, but he’s not in that elite group of coaches and probably never will be.

Of course I wasn’t upset you compared him to Self or Ryan. Why would I be? Anyway, the trajectory between him and Cal is vastly different. Dude’s 55 and just started at lowly Wake Forest. I get they all have to start somewhere, but he’s not in that elite group of coaches and probably never will be.
I never said he was.....Never insinuated it. Never compared resumes...I just said its premature to rate a coach, b/c of where he was. I mean, it could be premature for me to think his success at his previous stops, will translate over to WF. No doubt. But, I have worked a few of his games while at ETSU. Worked in that conference. He was highly thought of. IMO, he was/is a prtty darn good coach.

Reactions: ScrooDook92
Your comparison was idiotic and lacked any real substance. Cal and Forbes aren’t good analogies. I’m not surprised a goof like you didn’t get it and still doesn’t.

Go back to the main board where your amateur hour nonsense is coddled and tolerated. What the hell do you come here for? No need in proving your incompetence to think and form an opinion.
LOL.....You are calling me a goof, yet you cannot see in no way shape or form, that what I said, wasn't even remotely close to comparing Forbes to Cal.

I come here b/c I like to talk basketball. But, ever once in a moon, clowns like you ruin that.

What is funny, is that 7 people gave the post that has you "up in arms". a "like". Seems to me that you might be in the minority here Einstein..

Reactions: ScrooDook92
Of course I wasn’t upset you compared him to Self or Ryan. Why would I be?
Meh, I dunno. I thought you were upset b/c I "compared" Forbes to a very good coach in Cal. Seems to me if that was the reason, then "comparing" Forbes to two other very good coaches would have also been mentioned?

I guess my post wouldn't have been so bad had I left at Cal?[winking]

FTR, love calipari. I happen to think the dude is a great coach...maybe struggle with some in-game stuff, at times...Maybe gets a little tight with leads. But hell, a many of great coaches do. I wish IU would have had the balls UK did, and hired his ass back in 2008...

Meh, I dunno. I thought you were upset b/c I "compared" Forbes to a very good coach in Cal. Seems to me if that was the reason, then "comparing" Forbes to two other very good coaches would have also been mentioned?

I guess my post wouldn't have been so bad had I left at Cal?[winking]

FTR, love calipari. I happen to think the dude is a great coach...maybe struggle with some in-game stuff, at times...Maybe gets a little tight with leads. But hell, a many of great coaches do. I wish IU would have had the balls UK did, and hired his ass back in 2008...
I will make a wager with you that wake has a losing season 2 years in a row

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I will make a wager with you that wake has a losing season 2 years in a row
Quite possible...New coach...new system....Lost arguably his best player. I mean, that would be a stupid bet....I would say, "well Cal went 10-18 in his first season at Umass", but I mean.............So instead, i will say...

"K" had losing seasons in 2 of his first 3 years at Duke....."[winking]

LOL.....You are calling me a goof, yet you cannot see in no way shape or form, that what I said, wasn't even remotely close to comparing Forbes to Cal.

I come here b/c I like to talk basketball. But, ever once in a moon, clowns like you ruin that.

What is funny, is that 7 people gave the post that has you "up in arms". a "like". Seems to me that you might be in the minority here Einstein..

You’re a moron. Yes a goof. Bland, stale, lack any creativity or brains. 3 inches under average.

The main board gives you a sense that you’re one of the guys, man. Just stay there and don’t take their leniency all over the place.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
You’re a moron. Yes a goof. Bland, stale, lack any creativity or brains. 3 inches under average.

The main board gives you a sense that you’re one of the guys, man. Just stay there and don’t take their leniency all over the place.
[laughing]....Let me ask you this...

If I said, "Man, Fox is fast...Reminds me of Wall..." Would you take that as me comparing the two players, OR....

Comparing a similarity?

Asking for a friend..[smoke]

Don;t get mad at me bruh, b/c you couldn't dissect a statement, and use some critical thinking, to come up an educated response....:chairshot:

[laughing]....Let me ask you this...

If I said, "Man, Fox is fast...Reminds me of Wall..." Would you take that as me comparing the two players, OR....

Comparing a similarity?

Asking for a friend..[smoke]

Don;t get mad at me bruh, b/c you couldn't dissect a statement, and use some critical thinking, to come up an educated response....:chairshot:

Im now unamused. Look like a dolt, doesn’t matter.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
Im now unamused. Look like a dolt, doesn’t matter.
[laughing]...

Why didn't you answer the question? Or is it you now see I was "comparing" a similarity? That i wasn't comparing coaching ability, BUT...instead, I was comparing the FACT that the two coaches share a similarity, that thye both started their career's at a low level?

No reason to be mean, brother. I get it. You thought I was slighting Cal....But in fact, I was not. I don't think Forbes is anywhere close to the coach that Cal is...But hey, be you. After all, its your board.;)

2a285856910828b7dcef07cfaeefe22d

I'm confused, why would a Multi-Millionaire care about college basketball...

Quite possible...New coach...new system....Lost arguably his best player. I mean, that would be a stupid bet....I would say, "well Cal went 10-18 in his first season at Umass", but I mean.............So instead, i will say...

"K" had losing seasons in 2 of his first 3 years at Duke....."[winking]
Put your money where your mouth is.

What he said was dumb. But make no mistake---this dude can coach. He was 62-6 at NW Florida State--JUCO. Back to back runner-ups. Then at ETSU, he was stellar; Won 75% of his games(130-43).

I know, I know....JUCO ball....ETSU. It ain't big boy hoops. True. But winning is winning. And look,I mean Cal started his career at UMass....Shit Bo Ryan started at D2 Wisconsin-Platteville...Self at Tulsa...

I mean, everyone's gotta start somewhere.

He's a good coach.

He's a good coach but ETSU has been a solid mid-major for a long time. He was much better situated to win within his league at ETSU than he will be at Wake Forest.

Put your money where your mouth is.
Huh? Let see----New coach...new system...new players....loses his best player....Hardly anyone returning....And you want me to bet that he doesn't have losing seasons his first two years?

Look, just b/c I'm an Indiana fan, doesn't mean I'm as stupid as some of them are....

He is a good coach. But,I mean, dude---he's walking into a very, very bad situation. Program is a wreck. Now, look, I wouldn't be shocked if he hits the ground running, and wins from Day 1...Well,maybe a little...But I wouldn't be shocked either if his first season or two is very shaky.

Eh, dude was just trying to get a very talented big man to stay and he tried to use the "you're inches away from getting a degree at Wake Forest, why go to Kentucky".
I didn't take offense to it. Hell, we do it all the time "why do these kids go to an awful program like Washington when they can come here and be stars."
No offense. But, he did not attack the program. He attacked the academic institution that I proudly graduated from.
if you graduated from UK and are you not at least a little bit offended, you must not take very much pride in yourself or degree.

No offense. But, he did not attack the program. He attacked the academic institution that I proudly graduated from.
if you graduated from UK and are you not at least a little bit offended, you must not take very much pride in yourself or degree.
I certainly don't like the comment. I wouldn't have gone to that well if I was in his position, he did, because he was trying to convince a player to return. His mistake was allowing that comment to go public. I bet many other coaches have said similar things.

I just think there are bigger fish to fry and that dude is going to get hammered by the BBN for a long time like he is the one that invited the coronavirus.

It's a bad comment, but not worth getting the torches and pitchforks out of storage for.

Huh? Let see----New coach...new system...new players....loses his best player....Hardly anyone returning....And you want me to bet that he doesn't have losing seasons his first two years?

Look, just b/c I'm an Indiana fan, doesn't mean I'm as stupid as some of them are....

He is a good coach. But,I mean, dude---he's walking into a very, very bad situation. Program is a wreck. Now, look, I wouldn't be shocked if he hits the ground running, and wins from Day 1...Well,maybe a little...But I wouldn't be shocked either if his first season or two is very shaky.
You say he's a great coach bet on it then simple.

Forbes' walk back is so BS too. "I basically just pulled Kentucky's name out of a hat to insult and that just happened to be where Sarr went!"

More like when the interview happened, Forbes had likely been told either Sarr was going to UK, or that Sarr was down between UK and returning to Wake.

He can try to say it wasn't intentional, but it's BS.

Doesn't matter if Forbes can coach or not. He's at WF and recruiting to that program is going to be very tough. He's in the ACC with the likes of Dook, UNCheat, Syracuse, Virginia, Florida State and others. How does he pull quality talent to WF? About the only selling point is that kids want to be on ESPN. So, what's his opening line gonna be..."Come to Wake Forest and you can get your butt kicked on national TV twice a week!"?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
JFC...I am not comparing the two coaches...I am comparing the journey's...the road taken, etc, etc..

I didn't think this would be that hard to understand.

It’s not “hard to understand, it’s just the points you’re trying to make are wrong and don’t make a lot of sense.

Sit this one out. You just continue to dig yourself deeper and look sillier and sillier man. It’s apparent you’re at least halfway intelligent, so nobody is disputing that. It’s more that the points and parallels you are attempting to make are way way off base and not remotely accurate.

Take the L.

I certainly don't like the comment. I wouldn't have gone to that well if I was in his position, he did, because he was trying to convince a player to return. His mistake was allowing that comment to go public. I bet many other coaches have said similar things.

I just think there are bigger fish to fry and that dude is going to get hammered by the BBN for a long time like he is the one that invited the coronavirus.

It's a bad comment, but not worth getting the torches and pitchforks out of storage for.
Maybe not a pitchfork, but a good middle finger can go a long way...

Just ask RP

It’s not “hard to understand, it’s just the points you’re trying to make are wrong and don’t make a lot of sense.

Sit this one out. You just continue to dig yourself deeper and look sillier and sillier man. It’s apparent you’re at least halfway intelligent, so nobody is disputing that. It’s more that the points and parallels you are attempting to make are way way off base and not remotely accurate.

Take the L.
What doesn't make sense? 100% curious. What point that I am trying to make is waaaay off base?

Do you really think I was comparing Steve Forbes, AS A COACH, to Calipari, Bo Ryan and Bill Self? I mean, really?

You say he's a great coach bet on it then simple.
No I didnt...

What he said was dumb. But make no mistake---this dude can coach. He was 62-6 at NW Florida State--JUCO. Back to back runner-ups. Then at ETSU, he was stellar; Won 75% of his games(130-43).

I know, I know....JUCO ball....ETSU. It ain't big boy hoops. True. But winning is winning. And look,I mean Cal started his career at UMass....Shit Bo Ryan started at D2 Wisconsin-Platteville...Self at Tulsa...

I mean, everyone's gotta start somewhere.

He's a good coach.

I never said he was.....Never insinuated it. Never compared resumes...I just said its premature to rate a coach, b/c of where he was. I mean, it could be premature for me to think his success at his previous stops, will translate over to WF. No doubt. But, I have worked a few of his games while at ETSU. Worked in that conference. He was highly thought of. IMO, he was/is a prtty darn good coach.

Not once did I say he was a "great coach". I said he was a good coach. I mean, I think there is a difference(great/good)----Don't you?

Reactions: Col. Angus
No I didnt...

Not once did I say he was a "great coach". I said he was a good coach. I mean, I think there is a difference(great/good)----Don't you?

People are just giving you shit man, especially since you’re an IU fan, not sure it’s worth 50 posts in this thread about it.

As for the guys comments, I graduated from UK and absolutely give no shits about what he said. I mean the guy was just at East Tennessee State University coaching. I’m sure he’s hungry and trying to play the hand he’s dealt.

Reactions: IUfanBorden

I may not be an Indiana fan, but I appreciate your posts.

People are just giving you shit man, especially since you’re an IU fan, not sure it’s worth 50 posts in this thread about it.

As for the guys comments, I graduated from UK and absolutely give no shits about what he said. I mean the guy was just at East Tennessee State University coaching. I’m sure he’s hungry and trying to play the hand he’s dealt.
Ya, I get it....I should have let it go about 48 post ago. [laughing]

It's all good, though. I like posting here. Just gotta learn to take the good(which is more often than not), with the bad.

Nothing wrong with a degree from UK. Hell, TBH, nothing wrong with a degree from anywhere. Shit, my nephew got his degree from So. Indiana; respiratory therapist. He makes the same $$$ as those with the same degree, etc, etc...from "better" schools.

Excellent post. What Cal did at UMASS is unparalleled imo. Not before or since have they even been a fraction of what they were while he was there.

The only person I saw do something similar to job Cal did at UMass was Brad Stevens at Butler and Butler was an even better program when Stevens took the helm (though it was still Butler).

Cal's ability to put together and coach up a team is truly understated at the national level.

Forbes, had time to be schooled on damage control after his backhanded slight of UK but really, who cares? He will be at Wake for a few years and then he will be kicked to curb just like all the previous coaches. After his dismissal he will get another assistant’s job and fade into the ash heap of irrelevancy.
Exactly. I look at this and think ... meh, no big deal. We are number one. THE program.

Reading accurately and comprehending what you read are difficult enough for some.

Throw in the desire to debate upon what you read and comprehended and well... some get lost in the weeds.

No I didnt...

My definition of good is at least a plus 500 season I bet he fails to produce that now put up or shut up.

My definition of good is at least a plus 500 season I bet he fails to produce that now put up or shut up.
Then why did you say great?

He's a good coach. That's my opinion. You don't think he is...That is your opinion. Thing is, my opinion isn't biased. If he hadn't said what he did---you wouldn't even have an opinion..Nor care. That's cool. I get it.

Then why did you say great?

He's a good coach. That's my opinion. You don't think he is...That is your opinion. Thing is, my opinion isn't biased. If he hadn't said what he did---you wouldn't even have an opinion..Nor care. That's cool. I get it.
Ok you said good so if he is good lets bet.

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT