ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Forbes on reaction from UK fans after his comments

Forbes, had time to be schooled on damage control after his backhanded slight of UK but really, who cares? He will be at Wake for a few years and then he will be kicked to curb just like all the previous coaches. After his dismissal he will get another assistant’s job and fade into the ash heap of irrelevancy.
What he said was dumb. But make no mistake---this dude can coach. He was 62-6 at NW Florida State--JUCO. Back to back runner-ups. Then at ETSU, he was stellar; Won 75% of his games(130-43).

I know, I know....JUCO ball....ETSU. It ain't big boy hoops. True. But winning is winning. And look,I mean Cal started his career at UMass....Shit Bo Ryan started at D2 Wisconsin-Platteville...Self at Tulsa...

I mean, everyone's gotta start somewhere.

He's a good coach.

"I didn't realize - maybe I'm living like the boy in the bubble back in the 70s. Then Thursday night that week, I got a call from Nick Nurse, who's my really good friend, and he said, 'Man, you're the lead story on PTI!' I said. 'No way! Come on.' Then I looked at my Twitter and Lord have mercy, I was under a complete frontal assault from the Big Blue Nation," Forbes said. "They were going at me. They were in predator mode. They were coming me. So I learned how to block a bunch of people, which I've never done before."

[roll][laughing][laughing][roll]

Sounds like he may be a nice replacement for Archie whenever you guys decide to continue your coaching carousel of mediocrity.
Possible. Who knows. Maybe Archie gets an injury free season at IU, and in the process, learns to coach. Or maybe he doesn't. Either way, irrelevant to Steve Forbes. He can coach.

What he said was dumb. But make no mistake---this dude can coach. He was 62-6 at NW Florida State--JUCO. Back to back runner-ups. Then at ETSU, he was stellar; Won 75% of his games(130-43).

I know, I know....JUCO ball....ETSU. It ain't big boy hoops. True. But winning is winning. And look,I mean Cal started his career at UMass....Shit Bo Ryan started at D2 Wisconsin-Platteville...Self at Tulsa...

He's a good coach.
He might be, but the comparison to Cal falls flat, because Cal was competing with the best programs in the country from one of the worst D1 schools at UMass, and he backed it up in the tournament, too.

Winning big in a little league is one thing. Turning a nobody into a national power is quite another.

Lmao. He sure changed the subject quickly in the interview didn’t he. Hahah. I didn’t mean Kentucky an could’ve meant anyone , ohh, did you know I’d never stepped foot on Campus here before I got here? Crazy huh? Hahahaha. He gave the ol slight of hand and got away from UK quick. Well done.

He's a good coach.
Your raising Cal in the same breath as Forbes is amusing.

Forbes is 55. By that age, Cal was in the Hall of Fame, with a championship, six Final Four appearances and dozens of NCAA tourney wins. Forbes hasn’t even won an NIT game and is getting his first shot at a power 5 conference team.

Wooden started at Dayton, Kentucky. Just starting at a humble place is no common link or predictor of where you’ll finish.

Last edited:

He's a good coach.
Eh we’ll see. JUCO ball and the Southern Conference isn’t anywhere near what he’s gonna face in the ACC. Especially considering he’s gonna get the shit end of the stick when he faces duke and the cheats every single time they play.

I hope he falls flat on his face, personally. What he said about UK even pissed my wife off, and that’s saying something. He can downplay it all he wants, it was a petty thing to say, publicly. The wording he used was just terrible. What a dumbass!

He might be, but the comparison to Cal falls flat, because Cal was competing with the best programs in the country from one of the worst D1 schools at UMass, and he backed it up in the tournament, too.

Winning big in a little league is one thing. Turning a nobody into a national power is quite another.
Exactly this. I couldn’t have said it better myself. Comparing what Cal did at UMass to what Forbes did at ETSU is ridiculous. I don’t remember ETSU climbing all the way to number 1 in the polls, several times, spanning two or three seasons. Furthermore, when did ETSU make the Final Four? Just curious, I sure as hell don’t recall it.

What Cal did at UMass (and to a lesser degree Memphis) won’t be duplicated anytime soon. They weren’t just some fluke Cinderella - type tournament run teams. He turned them BOTH into consistent national powerhouses. Hell, if it weren’t for that juggernaut 1996 UK team, UMass would’ve won the national title that year.

I think people kinda lose sight of just how incredible those program builds were, especially UMass. That’s back when college ball was still in its upswing. It’s nowhere near as tough to win in today’s college basketball climate, as it was in the 90s. This dude can’t hold a candle to John Calipari: past, present or future.

Last edited:

He's a good coach.
The ACC will teach him to be humble.

"I could have said any school" but he didn't because he knew his competition was UK and he said what he did to put us down. He is like a politician who has nothing in their platform to use in their campaign so they sling mud on their opponent. Grow a pair and admit you screwed up but don't play the victim by saying that you "misspoke". If you put down UK then expect a thousand nations of the UK empire to descend upon you.

Eh, dude was just trying to get a very talented big man to stay and he tried to use the "you're inches away from getting a degree at Wake Forest, why go to Kentucky".
I didn't take offense to it. Hell, we do it all the time "why do these kids go to an awful program like Washington when they can come here and be stars."

Reactions: RunninRichie
Eh, dude was just trying to get a very talented big man to stay and he tried to use the "you're inches away from getting a degree at Wake Forest, why go to Kentucky".
I didn't take offense to it. Hell, we do it all the time "why do these kids go to an awful program like Washington when they can come here and be stars."
Yeah, BUT we aren’t the coach at UK, either. We also don’t go to the media as a platform in which to say it. There’s a HUGE difference here, bud. ;)

Reactions: kyjeff1
"I could have said any school" but he didn't because he knew his competition was UK and he said what he did to put us down. He is like a politician who has nothing in their platform to use in their campaign so they sling mud on their opponent. Grow a pair and admit you screwed up but don't play the victim by saying that you "misspoke". If you put down UK then expect a thousand nations of the UK empire to descend upon you.
THIS! Dude just needs to own his stupidity.

Exactly this. I couldn’t have said it better myself. Comparing what Cal did at UMass to what Forbes did at ETSU is ridiculous. I don’t remember ETSU climbing all the way to number 1 in the polls, several times, spanning two or three seasons. Furthermore, when did ETSU make the Final Four? Just curious, I sure as hell don’t recall it.

What Cal did at UMass (and to a lesser degree Memphis) won’t be duplicated anytime soon. They weren’t just some fluke Cinderella - type tournament run teams. He turned them BOTH into consistent national powerhouses. Hell, if it weren’t for that juggernaut 1996 UK team, UMass would’ve won the national title that year.

I think people kinda lose sight of just how incredible those program builds were, especially UMass. That’s back when college ball was still in its upswing. It’s nowhere near as tough to win in today’s college basketball climate, as it was in the 90s. This dude can’t hold a candle to John Calipari: past, present or future.
Excellent post. What Cal did at UMASS is unparalleled imo. Not before or since have they even been a fraction of what they were while he was there.

Nope. There's a difference in saying come to UK and play on the biggest stage than saying getting a degree from UK is nothing compared to one from WF. He was degrading the school as a whole. He knew it, he said it knowing it.
Now he's lying about it.

He could have easily said why not stay at WF and finish your degree from this prestigious university, never mentioning UK. He knew what he was doing and meant to do it- just never thought it would go viral. He is a total tool and deserved the heat he received.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Forbes is 55. By that age, Cal was in the Hall of Fame, with a championship, six Final Four appearances and dozens of NCAA tourney wins. Forbes hasn’t even won an NIT game and is getting his first shot at a power 5 conference team.

Wooden started at Dayton, Kentucky. Just starting at a humble place is no common link or predictor of where you’ll finish.
FACTS . And Cawood nailed it Cal should be considered one of the 5 best cbb of the last 40 years in large part what he did at Umass . Then he did the same thing at Memphis . At both programs within a few years they were making final 4's . At UK of coarse he was going to keep that up and he has .

He had to mention KY directly because as a basketball player no doubt with NBA aspirations a photo wearing a UK jersey is all the degree cred that he needs. Forbes was essentially insulting him by saying ....you have no future in basketball so your degree from Wake will be better for you in the long run.

I knew that’s what he meant when the quote came out. Makes sense when you hear it and not just read it.

I knew it too but he probably should have said "get the degree somewhere else" instead of "at Kentucky" specifically when he said it publicly.

I don't care what he said to Saar, it was more about what he said in the interview.

This clown's coaching for a nobody school in the ACC. The last time UK played Wake, UK mopped em off the floor by like 30 points in the NCAA Tournament in 2010. To hell with Wake Forest and this clown of a coach.

Nope. There's a difference in saying come to UK and play on the biggest stage than saying getting a degree from UK is nothing compared to one from WF. He was degrading the school as a whole. He knew it, he said it knowing it.
Now he's lying about it.

I was 11 years old in 1996. Growing up, I thought Umass was a national power. I still think of them in weird ways, I’ve never fully seen them as a nobody.

That’s all to do with Cal. When you sear into someone’s brain at a young age that Umass is a national power, you’re gonna be pretty good.

I knew it too but he probably should have said "get the degree somewhere else" instead of "at Kentucky" specifically when he said it publicly.

maybe, but he was just referencing the conversation he had and already knew Sarr was going to UK.

It’s whatever. Doesn’t bother me. I never even think about Wake Forest.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Now he's lying about it.
He could be lying about it. I just know he tried everything he could to hang on to the one player that could do anything at all for the program next year.

He probably said the wrong thing, but if he helps us get that waiver for Sarr, I could live with it.

It really doesn't matter much what he thinks about UK. I mean, UK is not some community college and anyone that reads his comments will know that.

Reactions: Cawood86

No, the comparison doesn't fall flat. The point WAS/IS, that(almost) every coach has started at the bottom...As did Cal; Umass was God awful. Look, I'm not comparing the two coaches. I'm comparing the journey. The road taken to get where they are.

Eh we’ll see. JUCO ball and the Southern Conference isn’t anywhere near what he’s gonna face in the ACC. Especially considering he’s gonna get the shit end of the stick when he faces duke and the cheats every single time they play.

I hope he falls flat on his face, personally. What he said about UK even pissed my wife off, and that’s saying something. He can downplay it all he wants, it was a petty thing to say, publicly. The wording he used was just terrible. What a dumbass!
Ok, listen....Set aside the love for UK/Cal. NOW...go back and read what I said. I bet it resonates a bit different. I understand JUCO ball and the SoCo are totally diferent than the ACC, etc, etc...That wasn't my point. Point IS---most coaches have started at the bottom, i.e. Knight at Army...Pitino @ Providence...Bo Ryan at the D2 level...So on and so on. So to dismiss his record b/c of where he started is a bit premature. That's all I was saying.

JFC...I am not comparing the two coaches...I am comparing the journey's...the road taken, etc, etc..

I didn't think this would be that hard to understand.

Exactly where did I do that? I didn't. AGAIN...Not comparing resumes. Not comparing coaches...Not comparing what one did here, opposed to what one did there.

My point is------Most coaches start at the bottom.I thought I made that pretty clear.

Funny though---I don't see ya upset that I "compared" Forbes to Self or Ryan...[smoke]

Again my friend---Not comparing Forbes to Cal. Just comparing the starts--As in,BOTH, along with many other of coaches, started damn near at the bottom...

Excellent post. What Cal did at UMASS is unparalleled imo. Not before or since have they even been a fraction of what they were while he was there.
Agree. Only scenario I can think of, that compares is what Ryan turned Wisconsin into. Just off the top of my head.

What Cal did at UMass was impressive. IMO, it should(But wont) silence those whoquestion his coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT