ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen Johnson is a gamer IMO

You should have expected a positive response pumping up Johnson after today's performance. At best you can get away with saying today isn't Johnsons fault.

Yes, he is careless with the ball ... especially when the offensive line completely whiffs on rushing linebackers and he never has anything resembling a pocket.

Johnson is a winner. I couldn't be happier about him coming back as our starter next year. (the Smith kid is pretty good too)

I give credit to Johnson for saving our season this year. I am scared to death that he will be the starter next year. Why?? We have quality receivers on this team who deserve a quarterback who can get the ball to them consistently. We need a quarterback who isn't weak and can hold on to the ball in the SEC. We need a quarterback to go after the first down. Don't quit running and be a yard short. For us to get to the next level we need a quarterback. Maybe we have one on the roster or maybe we don't. Even with what we have coming back next year 6-6 may be the best we can do if Johnson is our QB. This is not to trash him. It is reality as it stands .

Reactions: Madcat62
I give credit to Johnson for saving our season this year. I am scared to death that he will be the starter next year. Why?? We have quality receivers on this team who deserve a quarterback who can get the ball to them consistently. We need a quarterback who isn't weak and can hold on to the ball in the SEC. We need a quarterback to go after the first down. Don't quit running and be a yard short. For us to get to the next level we need a quarterback. Maybe we have one on the roster or maybe we don't. Even with what we have coming back next year 6-6 may be the best we can do if Johnson is our QB. This is not to trash him. It is reality as it stands .

Went 7-5 with him (first two not a player really) and you think 6-6 is all he can do.

What?

He totally blew the two fourth down and shorts...End crashed you keep and run around end. His turnover changed the game. I hope there is a competition

And we might beat them and beat Ole Miss and getting UF at home. So yeah 8-4.
The only one of those 4 we get at home is Louisville and they have a better quarterback who we have never really stopped. He stopped himself by fumbling falling down.

Been a lot of trash talk about Johnson here today. But IMO there is no quit in this kid. Not the biggest, not the fastest but I'll take him on my team any day. This games not over but looking forward to Johnson at QB next year.
Spoken like a true Kentucky football fan!

Johnson cough it up early in the game and gave GT a easy score , but to be fair, I did not thank the OL did not give Johnson much help all day..

Reactions: rodserling
If Smith had shot the gap on that damn fullback dive they ate the clock with in the 3rd and 4th quarters, and maybe gotten some tackles for loss by doing so, we wouldda' completed the comeback. There were things preventing it: (1) QB's don't play defense; (2) the rules don't allow for 12 players on defense.

Went 7-5 with him (first two not a player really) and you think 6-6 is all he can do.

What?

He didn't start the New Mexico State game so I'm pretty sure he does not get credit for that Victory as a starter. His record overall was 6 and 4.

#8, there is also frequent discussion on games won by the QB that FINISHES a game. He gets the New Mexico State credit with that wording. And not crediting him on NMS is simple proof of Benjamin Disraeli's maxim: "There are three kinds of lies; Lies, Damn Lies, and . . . . Statistics."

We were trailing when he came in the NMS game and when he came in, my sunshime pumping mentality was trying to figure a way to 4 or 5 wins. He brought us back in that one, and played more than adequately the rest of the way.

He didn't start the New Mexico State game so I'm pretty sure he does not get credit for that Victory as a starter. His record overall was 6 and 4.

Good point, we were actually losing when he came in. Quality argument for sure.

I think this goes without being said, but Barker lost this team after UF game. It was headed for 4-5 wins. Stephen comes in with nothing to lose, and gets the job done. Barker is just too emotionally attached, and plays nervous. You can't have that at QB

I guess he doesn't get credit for Austin Peay either...I guess Luke Wright is 1-0 as a starter.

Teams with two (2) 1,000 rushers are less likely to pass.

Yes, he is careless with the ball ... especially when the offensive line completely whiffs on rushing linebackers and he never has anything resembling a pocket.

Johnson is a winner. I couldn't be happier about him coming back as our starter next year. (the Smith kid is pretty good too)
Nobody is more upset about the fumbles than SJ is, I'm sure. There is no question that he needs to work hard on eliminating them. Having said that, did you hear the announcers in the Rose Bowl game, after the PSU quarterback fumbled in the second half, that he had fumbled eight (8) times in their first three (3) games?

Last edited:
Teams with two (2) 1,000 rushers are less likely to pass.
Yes and no. Depending who you are playing. Against G-Tech we needed someone who could pass and get the ball to the receivers. Tech was stopping our 1000 yard rushers. I stand by my statement that we need a Quarterback for next year.

Yes and no. Depending who you are playing. Against G-Tech we needed someone who could pass and get the ball to the receivers. Tech was stopping our 1000 yard rushers. I stand by my statement that we need a Quarterback for next year.
Tell us who it should be and why he's a better option than SJ. Can't wait to hear this one :popcorn:

Tell us who it should be and why he's a better option than SJ. Can't wait to hear this one :popcorn:

This is my point. Why is he our only option??? We really haven't seen Hoak to see if he is capable or not. Barker is even a bigger question mark. Maybe we should be looking to see if there is any quarterbacks who will graduate who have a year left of eligibility left. Watching many Bowl games recently, it seemed like every team had a dynamic quarterback. I wish we had one too. If I was an opposing coach. Stephen Johnson wouldn't scare me.

SEC is down and if some of these teams pick it up a notch UK will be back 5-7 or 6-6
unless Uk up grades at QB,D line, O line, if not replacing starters then there must be huge improvements in the present starters

SEC is down and if some of these teams pick it up a notch UK will be back 5-7 or 6-6
unless Uk up grades at QB,D line, O line, if not replacing starters then there must be huge improvements in the present starters
Oline Was one of best in country. We can get better at tackle and we will. You don't run for 245 ypg with a bad oline. Dline And MLB need to get better. Johnson threw for 2000 yards and rushed for 500 he is a player.

Oline Was one of best in country. We can get better at tackle and we will. You don't run for 245 ypg with a bad oline. Dline And MLB need to get better. Johnson threw for 2000 yards and rushed for 500 he is a player.

A player who can't hit short passes and fumbled 10 times. Several times in the red zone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT