ADVERTISEMENT

Stenberg tweet

Been a referee for 31 years here. 10 years in the college ranks, never D1. I take the avocation very serious, my rule book is with me every day. I study, agonize, and review every flag that I throw (and there aren’t many because I believe in two things - Did it affect the play, and was it about safety? Beyond that, it’s game on. For this player to call out the officials, that’s BS. And if you don’t think so, and if you think this funny, jump in my shoes and work me out of a job. Great win today.
Why do you assume all officials are good? That’s as bad as assuming all officials are bad. When officials have to be held accountable then I will feel bad for them.

And no I am not talking about some asshole yelling at a high school official but if they want to be D1 or higher where jobs and careers are impacted, then they need to be held accountable.

Been a referee for 31 years here. 10 years in the college ranks, never D1. I take the avocation very serious, my rule book is with me every day. I study, agonize, and review every flag that I throw (and there aren’t many because I believe in two things - Did it affect the play, and was it about safety? Beyond that, it’s game on. For this player to call out the officials, that’s BS. And if you don’t think so, and if you think this funny, jump in my shoes and work me out of a job. Great win today.
As a coach, I couldn’t stand officials with rabbit ears. Seriously, if you can’t take people questioning your decisions or talking about you then you shouldn’t be an official.

No doubt it's a tough job. The vast majority of guys in stripes are honest. However, you bring up the thing that, IMO, is the biggest problem in sports officiating....Using personal judgement to determine if or not a foul impacted the play. The reason we have the problems in officiating, especially in bball, is that there should be no judgment. The official should just call every play as the book calls for. It's when you have officials deciding what to call and what not to call that sets them up for criticism....especially when you "judge" a foul did not impact the situation (In your eyes). Call it as it happens.

Any lineman that grabs a player and throws him to the ground should be called for holding. Stenberg knows this, but keeps doing it.

Go back to your board

It was a nice post by an official, too bad he is confused about his choice of teams.

On the other hand if an official is going to worry about what a player (or coach) thinks of him he has too much time on his hands, it isn't a job you should take to win friends and influence people.

Last edited:
Any lineman that grabs a player and throws him to the ground should be called for holding. Stenberg knows this, but keeps doing it.

Why ask for trouble, IIRC the block had nothing to do with gaining more yards on the play. It hurt the team. What I call a dumb penalty, especially when he knows they are watching him. Which is something they shouldn't do, any more than anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckinden
Referees are awful in general....So many holding calls go un-called depending on the BIAS the Refs have against teams.

They are always looking for a few good men, some of you should try it. But my guess is most wouldn't make it.

My favorite flag of the day was the one on VT for using “abusive language” lol

I don't remember throwing a flag on very many occasions for words, sticks and stones etc, but I did throw one on a high school DB once for calling his blocker "D*#kbreath", had never heard that one before, I thought that was an above and beyond insult.

The even worse call was the BS unsportsmanlike conduct call on LS for taunting. VT players were yapping on every play. On multiple tackles on Lynn Bowden they were up in his face taunting right in front of the refs with no calls.
Logan has really played great over the last 6-7 games and has been pretty much under control for him.
Kind of amazing that no UK players really lost their cool for most of the game with all the brutal shit that was probably being said all game long by VT players. UK players did great staying cool.

I really hope my Colts get Stenberg. Nelson at LG and Stenberg at RG would be insane.

I have a difficult time believing there aren't some officials who are swayed by gambling interests. They don't have to throw a game, just affect the final score. This goes in all officiated sports where wagers are placed. Human weakness and nature can't be ignored

Sorry, dumb post of the day. To start with too many officials involved to make it work in football, and one turnover wipes out a bunch of bad calls. Do you know how hard it is to work your way up to a P5 officiating job, how closely they review every call (or non call) after the game, and how much money they make IF they finally reach the P5 level? And not enough money involved in a high school game to make it worth while, and would the loser even pay off a bet if there were obvious bad calls. Officials in general take a great deal of pride in their work, it is a game within the game.

But it did happen ONCE (that we know of) in basketball, but much easier there with so many bang bang plays and fewer officials------and he got caught. I doubt if it was worth it. I have seen a lot of terrible calls by officials as a referee, some obviously just brain f#*ts, (very few at the higher levels) some correctable, but none that I thought were deliberately trying to throw a game.

Perhaps the most famous NFL referee at the time was the speaker at our football banquet one year, said before being an NFL referee he was the Line Judge on Bum Phillips side at Houston one game. Said at the time the code for warning a coach to pipe down was "I can't hear you, coach". Said he had heard enough one game and gave that warning to Bum, and the reply (to an assistant) was: "Did you hear that, did you hear that? Not only can he not see, but he can't hear either". He said he couldn't do anything but laugh.

ok-boomer-7b71823ce9.jpg

Why do you assume all officials are good? That’s as bad as assuming all officials are bad. When officials have to be held accountable then I will feel bad for them.

And no I am not talking about some asshole yelling at a high school official but if they want to be D1 or higher where jobs and careers are impacted, then they need to be held accountable.
hey...all officials are good...UL is the bastion of integrity and higher education, as is E-town (and hell, I grew up there)

Reactions: fisherscatfan

And you think they aren't held accountable? Do you know how many very good officials never get a chance at the big time jobs? In a P5 game do you know how many reviews of the game and calls and no calls are discussed by impartial officials with no axe to grind? Every official on every play is evaluated by experts at the P5 level, and not just their calls or non calls, but also their mechanics, another whole new ball game. There are no obviously bad calls that aren't noticed, and too many (no one is perfect, a very tough game to call without different angles, slow motion, stop action, etc) and they have dozens of new guys anxious to take your place.

For this player to call out the officials, that’s BS. And if you don’t think so, and if you think this funny, jump in my shoes and work me out of a job. Great win today.
So YOU call out the 20 year old Player for calling out Officials.

Pot meet Kettle.
I think you just identified part of the reason why you don't have a D-1 Schedule.

hey...all officials are good...UL is the bastion of integrity and higher education, as is E-town (and hell, I grew up there)

The question then is did their integrity go up or down when you left town?

I kid, I kid.

This is non sense. Don't give me the jump in my shoes bit. What part of the rule book encourages refs to target certain players? If something is a hold for Stenberg then it should be a hold for all offensive players. However it's not. Every game we have played Logan gets at minimum 2 really horrible calls against him and typically a personal foul or taunting call that his highly suspicious. This happens every game and it doesn't go against other players on the field. So show me in the rule book where something is a holding penalty unless it's #71 and then these other things are holding as well and only for him. And the only justification we've gotten was "his reputation". Tell me what the hell that even means.

The refs have earned being scorned because they are not calling the game evenly. They are picking favorites and players they don't like and calling the game based on that. And that is total B.S.

Respectfully Disagree because....
Officials constantly use judgment in deciding what is a foul and what is incidental.
That "Hold" (if it was a Hold) did not affect the resulting play.
Oh no question it didn't affect the play. And I would argue they probably should have let it go for that reason. However I'm not going to complain about it because refs do key on certain things. And if they see the DL being twisted in a direction he wasn't originally going and ended up being thrown on his back you can bet that was a hold. I would bet every ref looks for that. Logan gets some crap calls for sure but he does hold from time to time as well. It was completely unecessary for him to throw the defender down in that case should have checked up once he secured the running lane.

Oh no question it didn't affect the play. And I would argue they probably should have let it go for that reason. However I'm not going to complain about it because refs do key on certain things. And if they see the DL being twisted in a direction he wasn't originally going and ended up being thrown on his back you can bet that was a hold. I would bet every ref looks for that. Logan gets some crap calls for sure but he does hold from time to time as well. It was completely unnecessary for him to throw the defender down in that case should have checked up once he secured the running lane.
I have no problem with your post.

Officials are instructed (in Case Book) to use Judgement on when to throw the flag.
Example: Interference calls (when pass is uncatchable)

Oh no question it didn't affect the play. And I would argue they probably should have let it go for that reason. However I'm not going to complain about it because refs do key on certain things. And if they see the DL being twisted in a direction he wasn't originally going and ended up being thrown on his back you can bet that was a hold. I would bet every ref looks for that. Logan gets some crap calls for sure but he does hold from time to time as well. It was completely unecessary for him to throw the defender down in that case should have checked up once he secured the running lane.
Not sure if Football officials are taught the same, but years ago when I called bball, you had certain areas of view. In a two member crew you had half the floor cut into a diagonal. You called what you saw in that area. With a three man crew, I'm sure they are taught to watch their zones also. We didn't watch where the ball went, like a fan would. We watched what went on in our zone of responsibility. If a foul occurred within that zone, you called it. It didn't matter if it impacted the "play" or not.

I'd bet a football official has similar responsibility. Those watching the oline call fouls that occur around the line. They should focus on line play, thus it should not matter if a run to the right goes for big yards if you see a hold on the left, you call it.

IMO, they should call whatever they see happening in their area of responsibility without regard to what happens with the rest of the play. When they start thinking too much about "does it matter, does it impact the play, etc..." you introduce inconsistency to the game. Inconsistently calling according to the rules is the absolute worst type of officiating.

There are so many judgement calls a ref could literally call something almost every play if he wants. I look at the timing of calls for both teams. Like against VT opening drive, the replays shows the two calls against us was more like judgement calls they could have let go but didn't. So if it isn't blatant why call something. Enough to slow us down and get them going. And it shouldn't have been. They had a blatant holding that wasn't called that helped them. Why let a blatant non judgement call just go like that?

They definitely influence games because they don't just make the obvious calls. The better refs will strive to keep the calls somewhat balanced by only making the obvious ones. Being as they can call something at any time they want and make an argument for it they better keep the borderline calls in check. Replays show how much they are going to miss anyway.

Once earlier in the season Logan got a personal foul call and targeting. After further review no personal foul no targeting. How often does that happen. Don't the refs kinda meet ahead of game and have talks about what to watch. Methinks Logan's name was brought up a lot!

Once earlier in the season Logan got a personal foul call and targeting. After further review no personal foul no targeting. How often does that happen. Don't the refs kinda meet ahead of game and have talks about what to watch. Methinks Logan's name was brought up a lot!

Weird, it seems like his name is also brought up a lot on here.

I wonder why.

I understand where you are coming from and you are probably a good official,but the holding calls on stenberg this year were very bad not all but a lot.Some officials look for things and if you don't think so you are very naive.Like Logan said some have a different standard.Somewhere right now an official is trying to figure out how to flag Logan for that tweet.
The same thing as MLB umps,some call a high strike some call a low strike,then some had the Greg maddox Strike(if close with in a foot)it's a strike.No where in the rule book does it say low or high strike,certain refs take it up on them selves for their strike zone.

Reactions: Levibooty
And here-in lies the problem---no mention of getting the call right or if there is a call to even start with. A rulebook is not a substitute for your eyes.

Josh Allen was benefiting from the holding calls last year if memory serves me correct, until the Missouri game. After that he couldn't get one hardly at all. It was like the league office told the refs to stop calling so many.

Referees are awful in general....So many holding calls go un-called depending on the BIAS the Refs have against teams.

If you don't think some refs are on the tank watch the 8 min span during the UK/UL game the other day. Cats by 12 then the whistles start blowing. Not to mention Cal gets a bogus T. The spread was 1 BTW
This is the kind of anecdotal evidence that selectively reinforces previously held opinions. It is confirmation bias. It doesn’t actually prove anything.

There have been scandals in the past involving NCAA and NBA officials. Not recently. The temptation to cheat will always be present with people of low character, but conspiracies are very hard to maintain. People talk. People give themselves away by doing stupid things. People crack under pressure.

However, there is no question that-

Too many NCAA football and basketball officials are incompetent

Recent rules changes (targeting, roughness, UC, celebrating, hand-fighting) have made penalties too subjective, too complicated, and impossible to enforce fairly. Replay should help, but it hasn’t because camera angles are often inadequate, and because replay officials are reluctant to overrule field officials on some calls.

The first thing I would like to say is refs have thin skin and your post proves it. I even heard of a parent getting tossed from an AAU game for 5th graders over the weekend. My friend said after the play was over the gym was pretty quite and the guy just said "That was a terrible call". The ref turned and looked at him and said "I will show terrible" and tossed him from the gym. He said the guy wasn't loud, rude or anything just made that statement. As a matter of fact he said if the crowd had been cheering you wouldn't have even heard the guy but because it was quite the ref heard it.

Second thing is it doesn't matter the sport refs have some bias whether they realize it or want to admit it. Take basketball for instance, when a kid is labeled as a defensive stopper he gets away with holding, reaching and hacking that other guys just don't get. If you don't believe me watch Tre Jones. He is only a good defender because he is afforded the advantage of being able to be more aggressive. The same is true with football and if a player is perceived too aggressive like Stenberg. He has gotten some bad calls based on his reputation.

Like John Higgins?

This is the kind of anecdotal evidence that selectively reinforces previously held opinions. It is confirmation bias. It doesn’t actually prove anything.

There have been scandals in the past involving NCAA and NBA officials. Not recently. The temptation to cheat will always be present with people of low character, but conspiracies are very hard to maintain. People talk. People give themselves away by doing stupid things. People crack under pressure.

However, there is no question that-

Too many NCAA football and basketball officials are incompetent

Recent rules changes (targeting, roughness, UC, celebrating, hand-fighting) have made penalties too subjective, too complicated, and impossible to enforce fairly. Replay should help, but it hasn’t because camera angles are often inadequate, and because replay officials are reluctant to overrule field officials on some calls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT