ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2025 Recruiting

I and others have occasionally mentioned that each website employs its own different criteria for player ratings. That's why player ratings cannot ever be standardized. FWIW, here are ESPN's ratings for our 2025 class. 100 is their maximum prospect score, but a 92 score is about as high as we usually see for any prospect anywhere. For a sense of scale, Brian Robinson, Jaden Smith, and Jacob Smith at 84 were ESPN's highest-rated prospects in our 2024 class. Jerod Smith and Terhyon Nichols were 82, Jason Patterson was an 81, and Cutter Boley and Hardley Gilmore were 80. On the bottom, David Washington and Willie Rodriguez were 76 and Jacob Kauwe was 74. Quintavion Norman was not rated. 2024 was a strong class for us. Our 2025 class is off to a strong start.

Marquise Davis 82
Martels Carter 81
Stone Saunders 80
Quintin Simmons 79
Darrin Strey 78
Brennen Ward 77
Tucker Kattus 76

Following is a "mock 1.0" 2025 UK class. There will be a "mock 2.0" in August or September, and a "mock 3.0" in the fall. This is offered simply to stimulate discussion. It is not intended as a firm prediction, because none of us (especially me) really has any idea at this early point what our December class will look like. As happens every year, there will be new names on UK's recruiting radar in the fall that we aren't even thinking about now.

This is not intended to be a wish list. If it was a wish list, it would include the best hs prospects in OH and the south. So it is just a reflexion of our currently reported recruiting momentum. For now, we will discuss in terms of a 20-man class although there is no telling how many scholarships will actually be invested in this class. We know Stoops will hold back some scholarships for transfers again.

A pre-OV "mock 1.0" 2025 UK recruiting class projection.

Offense

1. Stone Saunders, QB, Harrisburg, PA
2. Brennen Ward, QB, Columbus, OH
3. Marquise Davis, RB, Cleveland, OH
4. Quintin Simmons, WR, Cincinnati, OH
5. Tucker Kattus, OL, Cincinnati, OH
6. Dejerrian Miller, WR, St Louis, MO
7. Brody Lennon, TE, Gates Mills, OH
8. Darrin Strey, OL, Paw Paw, MI
9. Taren Hedrick, OL, Naples, FL
10. Jermiel Atkins, OL, Dayton, OH

Defense

1. Martels Carter, DB, Paducah, KY
2. Dalen Penson, DB, Tyrone, GA
3. Dyllon Williams, DB, Demopolis, AL
4. Noah King, DB, Hamilton, OH
5. Dewayne Galloway, DB, Columbus, OH
6. Javeon Campbell, DL, Frankfort, KY
7. Nicholas Smith, DL, Monroe, GA
8. Caleb Bell, DL, Alpharetta, GA
9. Cedric Works, LB, Clayton, OH
10. Jaiden Braker, LB, Snellville, GA

For those wondering why I think we have a reasonable shot at Caleb Bell, UK's coaches just offered him a scholarship less than a month ago. So this is a new recruitment with some momentum. The competition is basically NC St and AR, and there are some signs that our coaches are serious. We need interior defensive linemen. Bell is an interior defensive lineman, and his father is former Pittsburgh Steeler Kendrell Bell. My instinct on this may be wrong, but I think our coaches will press for an OV.

Jaiden Braker is being directly recruited by Coach White. Braker can play inside or outside and has the athleticism and frame to play Will LB or Alex Afari's hybrid LB role. Braker is a fit for Coach White. Basically, SCar and NC St are our competition. There are already "medium" crystal ball picks for SCar, but they are all logged by SCar insiders. But UK gets his final OV on June 21. So if Braker shows in Lexington on June 21, Coach White's chances are good. This is a guess, but not a wild one. You never know about recruiting.

There are no guarantees that "mock 3.0" next fall will look a whole lot like "mock 1.0" this weekend, because recruiting is among the least predictable of human behaviors. This is only one representation of how our recruiting momentum looks right now, prior to the OVs.

"Mock 1.0" not looking very good so far. That's okay. It was not intended as a final prediction, only as a supposition about UK's recruiting momentum prior to the OVs of last weekend. But recruiting is among the least predictable of human behaviors. Subsequently, Hedrick committed to Ole MS, and Williams to MO. Meanwhile, Lennon just received an offer from OH St that appears to have changed his recruitment at this point. But most of these uncommitted prospects are visiting UK now or else will visit UK within the next week. Some of them will end up in UK's class. A "mock 2.0 UK class" will be posted here in August or September.

Reactions: JASUN74
Interesting.

Tech got 7 commits that day. Paul Johnson soured every high coach in the state with his arrogance, plus his offense did nothing to prepare any offensive player for the next level. Brent Key is an alumni and spent several years at various southern programs. He is an excellent recruiter, he is rebuilding relationships with the Ga HS coaches. As of right now he isn't getting kids that are going to Bama, OSU or even Clemson and I expect him to start getting or 2 of those a year if he shows a couple years of improvement. But he is getting kids that are the next level that have been leaving the state. He is an OL coach by trade, and they will be a handful this year with a very good dual threat QB and a top flight WR.

Tech got 7 commits that day. Paul Johnson soured every high coach in the state with his arrogance, plus his offense did nothing to prepare any offensive player for the next level. Brent Key is an alumni and spent several years at various southern programs. He is an excellent recruiter, he is rebuilding relationships with the Ga HS coaches. As of right now he isn't getting kids that are going to Bama, OSU or even Clemson and I expect him to start getting or 2 of those a year if he shows a couple years of improvement. But he is getting kids that are the next level that have been leaving the state. He is an OL coach by trade, and they will be a handful this year with a very good dual threat QB and a top flight WR.
Key is an excellent up and comer, perfect for GT.

Key is an excellent up and comer, perfect for GT.

Their fans feel they hired their version of Kirby, and they may have. I know he wants to beat us and makes no bones about hating UGA. He played at Tech when Donnan was at UGA and they were in controll of the series. Rough times.

Their fans feel they hired their version of Kirby, and they may have. I know he wants to beat us and makes no bones about hating UGA. He played at Tech when Donnan was at UGA and they were in controll of the series. Rough times.
Maybe it's my imagination, maybe just the nature of recruiting but it seems UK is seeing GT more and more on the recruiting circuit.

Maybe it's my imagination, maybe just the nature of recruiting but it seems UK is seeing GT more and more on the recruiting circuit.

Not your imagination, unlike the previous couple coaches after Johnson. Key isn't afraid to stick his foot in the door and try to mend those fences. They offer a top flight education in multiple engineering fields and he will/is drawing kids that will have him competing in the ACC very soon. If FSU, Clemson and UNC leave I think it becomes their conference in football. Personally I enjoy kicking them while they are down, kina like UK enjoys kicking Louisville

Reactions: MEMEBLUE
Not your imagination, unlike the previous couple coaches after Johnson. Key isn't afraid to stick his foot in the door and try to mend those fences. They offer a top flight education in multiple engineering fields and he will/is drawing kids that will have him competing in the ACC very soon. If FSU, Clemson and UNC leave I think it becomes their conference in football. Personally I enjoy kicking them while they are down, kina like UK enjoys kicking Louisville
I go back to the time GT was in the SEC. Games like GT/Auburn or GT/Bama was a big deal. Recall the Bama player, Darwin Holt(?) hitting the GT player with a forearm while the guy was on the ground. Pretty severe injury IIRC. Huge mistake for GT to leave SEC.

I go back to the time GT was in the SEC. Games like GT/Auburn or GT/Bama was a big deal. Recall the Bama player, Darwin Holt(?) hitting the GT player with a forearm while the guy was on the ground. Pretty severe injury IIRC. Huge mistake for GT to leave SEC.

Don't think anyone will disagree with that. Bobby Dodd accused Bear of playing by a different set of rules and conference was ignoring it, so he took Tech out and they were an independent for a number of years before joining the ACC. I know a few of their alumni and the are excited about their future. As I said earlier, they aren't in on many of the top 15-20 instate kids, but the next group is full of kids considering Tech. You mentioned seeing their name with kids from Georgia now and that wasn't the case 2 cycles ago.

Reactions: mrschwump
Coach Shorts is talking with these receivers about possibly visiting UK this month. These are new names.

Jerel Bolder, Marshville, NC
Jamien Little, Hickory, NC (WF commit)
Landon Roldan, Bogart, GA
Daylyn Upshaw, Phenix City, AL

There is more internet scuttlebutt today about Jermiel Atkins, Dennious Jackson, and Javeon Campbell being UK leans who will eventually commit to us. This is not the first time we have heard this. Jackson would be considered a 2024 signee. The other two are 2025 prospects.

Coach Shorts is talking with these receivers about possibly visiting UK this month. These are new names.

There is more internet scuttlebutt today about Jermiel Atkins, Dennious Jackson, and Javeon Campbell being UK leans who will eventually commit to us. This is not the first time we have heard this. Jackson would be considered a 2024 signee. The other two are 2025 prospects.

Roldan goes to North Oconee HS just outside Athens, GT thinks he is theirs. He has run sub 4.4 40, very good hands and elite route runner. UGA offered this week and could be too late. Of course he is being compared to Ladd McConkey because they are about the same size and speed and of course both are white. Not sure he has the vision Ladd has with ball in his hands. But a good player and likely to play higher than his ranking.

Can probably add Nicholas Smith to that Atkins, Jackson, Campbell list.

Reactions: JASUN74
UK's current 2025 recruiting class-

Martels Carter, DB, Paducah, KY
Marquise Davis, RB, Cleveland, OH
Ja'kayden Ferguson, WR, Missouri City, TX
Tucker Kattus, OL, Cincinnati, OH
Stone Saunders, QB, Harrisburg, PA
Quintin Simmons, slotR, Cincinnati, OH
Darrin Strey, OL, Paw Paw, MI
Brennan Ward, QB, Columbus, OH

Ferguson OVed UK this weekend. Today he committed. This is a big recruiting win for Coach Shorts. Ferguson, a multisport athlete with sprinter speed, reportedly holds 10 SEC offers including GA, AL, LSU, and OK. SEC coaches know what a strong SEC WR prospect he is.

This is the foundation for a very good UK class.

Seven of our eight commitments are offensive prospects. But I suspect several DL commitments are forthcoming.

UK's current 2025 recruiting class-

Martels Carter, DB, Paducah, KY
Marquise Davis, RB, Cleveland, OH
Ja'kayden Ferguson, WR, Missouri City, TX
Tucker Kattus, OL, Cincinnati, OH
Stone Saunders, QB, Harrisburg, PA
Quintin Simmons, slotR, Cincinnati, OH
Darrin Strey, OL, Paw Paw, MI
Brennan Ward, QB, Columbus, OH

Ferguson OVed UK this weekend. Today he committed. This is a big recruiting win for Coach Shorts. Ferguson, a multisport athlete with sprinter speed, reportedly holds 10 SEC offers including GA, AL, LSU, and OK. SEC coaches know what a strong SEC WR prospect he is.

This is the foundation for a very good UK class.

Seven of our eight commitments are offensive prospects. But I suspect several DL commitments are forthcoming.
Looks like we will have 2-3 more commits coming from this weekend. Purcell cb getting predictions to UK and Auguste OL seems like a Uk lean. Read Gardner CB had a great visit.

Looks like we will have 2-3 more commits coming from this weekend. Purcell cb getting predictions to UK and Auguste OL seems like a Uk lean. Read Gardner CB had a great visit.
No doubt there will be multiple UK commits in the next 2 weeks. As you said, Purcell is receiving crystal ball predictions for UK. Smith is a UK lean. Miller, Atkins, and Auguste seem likely. Stargel, Marsh, Gardner, or Galloway wouldn't surprise me. Still think Campbell picks UK in early July.

Last edited:
Taeshaun Gelsey, TE, Jacksonville, FL

Evidently UK is a finalist, Another multisport athlete, a popular feature with UK's coaches. Gelsey reportedly holds at least 3 SEC, 3 ACC, and 2 B10 offers. FL may be the team to beat. So far, his only OV was to FL.
I wouldn't be worried about UF as much as in the past. They are having trouble getting commitments from anyone right now because because Sun Belt Billy is on the hot seat.

Reactions: JHB4UK
I wouldn't be worried about UF as much as in the past. They are having trouble getting commitments from anyone right now because because Sun Belt Billy is on the hot seat.
At this time in our football history, I don't think any well informed UK football fan can be seriously concerned about FL. Maybe that changes again at some point. For the time being, though, we keep beating them. However, the state of FL is one of the most prolific producers of SEC talent, and FL will continue to sign some of those players. I doubt FL football will stage a big renaissance under Napier but I also doubt they will be terrible, given their top shelf recruiting base in FL and southern GA. There are simply too many Power 4 caliber hs football players in FL for Miami and FL St to take them all. That's why Coach Mike is down there.

At this time in our football history, I don't think any well informed UK football fan can be seriously concerned about FL. Maybe that changes again at some point. For the time being, though, we keep beating them. However, the state of FL is one of the most prolific producers of SEC talent, and FL will continue to sign some of those players. I doubt FL football will stage a big renaissance under Napier but I also doubt they will be terrible, given their top shelf recruiting base in FL and southern GA. There are simply too many Power 4 caliber hs football players in FL for Miami and FL St to take them all. That's why Coach Mike is down there.
I live in Tampa and surrounded by UF alum. Just listening to them and SEC talking heads, I'd lean slightly towards him being gone before the season ends over winning 7 games and probably saving his job.

I live in Tampa and surrounded by UF alum. Just listening to them and SEC talking heads, I'd lean slightly towards him being gone before the season ends over winning 7 games and probably saving his job.
IDK exactly when FL will terminate Napier, but he can't last much longer. Napier is #1 on the current list of SEC football coaches on the hot seat, and FL's AD Scott Stricklin knows his career is in jeopardy if he doesn't get FL's football program straightened out quickly.

Reactions: satcheluk

Agree, if they start the season anything less than 4-1 he won't make it through the season. Last 7 games are a coach killer schedule. SEC offices did them no favors. First 5 are Miami, Samford, ATM, UCF and MSST. Last 7 are Tn, UK, UGA, Tx, LSU, OM and FSU. Even the first 5 Samford is the only sure thing.

But their fans think 8-4 is their floor with shot at playoffs at 9-3

Reactions: satcheluk
Agree, if they start the season anything less than 4-1 he won't make it through the season. Last 7 games are a coach killer schedule. SEC offices did them no favors. First 5 are Miami, Samford, ATM, UCF and MSST. Last 7 are Tn, UK, UGA, Tx, LSU, OM and FSU. Even the first 5 Samford is the only sure thing.

But their fans think 8-4 is their floor with shot at playoffs at 9-3
The fan I am married to expects the worst, she doesn't think Billy is up to the task! We are planning on being at the Swamp for our game against them and figure there could be a new or interim coach by then. I actually think Billy is probably a good fb mind and great guy but he definitely has had some growing pains as a game manager! I am pulling for him except in the UK game but don't see much hope for his UF survival!

Reactions: Rembrandt90
BTW, online assessments and perceived value of new UK commit Ja'kayden Ferguson vary significantly. A quick online review earlier today revealed various popular websites rate Ferguson as the #38, #57, and #75 overall hs football prospect in the state of TX. That's a wide range, suggesting no standardization and showing again why some of us place limited value on online player ratings.

But we know there are public reports of at least 10 SEC offers including GA, AL, LSU, and OK. Plus Miami, OR, and WA. Say what you will. Maybe remind us that some publicly reported offers aren't actually committable. Suggest that Ferguson will need to add some good weight. (Which is true. He is in his track season condition now although he has a frame that can easily add 20-30# fairly quickly without losing speed.)

In addition to being an athletic football star, Ferguson is also a star sprinter. Ferguson's Uncle, Robert Ferguson, played in the NFL for 8 years. This is a major recruiting win for Coach Shorts and the best football player UK has gotten committed out of the state of TX in quite a while. High upside in this offense.

The fan I am married to expects the worst, she doesn't think Billy is up to the task! We are planning on being at the Swamp for our game against them and figure there could be a new or interim coach by then. I actually think Billy is probably a good fb mind and great guy but he definitely has had some growing pains as a game manager! I am pulling for him except in the UK game but don't see much hope for his UF survival!

All that is true about Billy. In my opinion his biggest fault is he is just a naturally quiet guy, has been since he was a little kid, and I think that effects his ability to lead. Personality wise the polar opposite of CMS and Kirby. I don't know about CMS but Kirby can string some curse words together, don't believe Billy is prone to do that.

All that is true about Billy. In my opinion his biggest fault is he is just a naturally quiet guy, has been since he was a little kid, and I think that effects his ability to lead. Personality wise the polar opposite of CMS and Kirby. I don't know about CMS but Kirby can string some curse words together, don't believe Billy is prone to do that.
If stringing curse words together makes you a great leader, I can see why Kirby is so good after that pregame speech before leaked on X. 😝

BTW, online assessments and perceived value of new UK commit Ja'kayden Ferguson vary significantly. A quick online review earlier today revealed various popular websites rate Ferguson as the #38, #57, and #75 overall hs football prospect in the state of TX. That's a wide range, suggesting no standardization and showing again why some of us place limited value on online player ratings.

But we know there are public reports of at least 10 SEC offers including GA, AL, LSU, and OK. Plus Miami, OR, and WA. Say what you will. Maybe remind us that some publicly reported offers aren't actually committable. Suggest that Ferguson will need to add some good weight. (Which is true. He is in his track season condition now although he has a frame that can easily add 20-30# fairly quickly without losing speed.)

In addition to being an athletic football star, Ferguson is also a star sprinter. Ferguson's Uncle, Robert Ferguson, played in the NFL for 8 years. This is a major recruiting win for Coach Shorts and the best football player UK has gotten committed out of the state of TX in quite a while. High upside in this offense.
Ferguson was running 11.59 and 11.69 in the 100 meters (the most trusted/coveted track time for college football coaches) in 2022. https://www.athletic.net/athlete/21028211/track-and-field/club. I don’t see any times for 2023. Where do you see that he’s a “star sprinter”?

In this 100 meters conversion calculator, you can clearly see what a 11.59 or 11.69 would translate to in the 40. https://www.milesplit.com/calc?time=11.69&event=100m

• Haha
Reactions: Davae9
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT