ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2025 Recruiting

Would hope that we can get better lineman than Auguste.
Bryan Auguste already holds at least eight Power 4 conference offers. In your opinion, why are those major conference coaching staffs (including UK coaches) wrong about him? Why is Eric Wolford wrong about him? Have you seen Auguste play? Have you watched his game film?

I have watched a lot of film. Auguste plays for Monarch hs in Pompano Beach. It's a very competitive area of the south for hs football, so Auguste has played against some future high-major defenders. Auguste has excellent size and moves his feet well. He is one of the stronger OL prospects scheduled visit here, and he has a nasty streak. I probably don't have to remind you that the late John Schlarman made an All American out of Bunchy Stallings. There is a lot more to recruiting than an online player rating.

We are hitting DL pretty hard also. We have also offered Caleb Bell, a 6-3 270 DT from GA that played on a 7A state championship team. His dad was a LB in the pro's.
Yes. I mentioned Caleb Bell yesterday. He is being recruited by Coach Stewart and Coach Collins. Three SEC offers. Nice prospect. Will need to add some good weight in college.

You are on the right track there. Online class rankings are a mirage. Realistically, it is not possible even to begin to assess the effectiveness of a recruiting class until about 3 years after they sign. Every school's classes suffer attrition due to injuries and transfers. Every school's classes include overachievers and underachievers, but that can't be fully recognized until the players have been in the program at least a couple of years.
No question. But even just looking at the recruiting services “scoring” of classes the gap from the middle 8 teams is next to nothing, even though one will get the 5 slot and another the 13 slot.

The crystal ball pick for Carter to UK was logged on February 5 and I still feel confident it will eventually happen. All the indicators say so. Something has happened recently that is generating predictions for Lennon to UK. Hope that one turns out to be true.
Committing this weekend. Most say UK. But he will still visit Auburn, maybe more than once. Also will visit Michigan. Auburn has recruited him hard and looks to be our main competition even if he commits to us.

Committing this weekend. Most say UK. But he will still visit Auburn, maybe more than once. Also will visit Michigan. Auburn has recruited him hard and looks to be our main competition even if he commits to us.

I believe Carter will commit to UK. Prior to relocating to Paducah, he liked GA and Auburn. Recruiting is among the least predictable of human behaviors. Maybe he just wants to be sure. You never know for sure what any athlete will decide. But I am fairly confident he likes UK best, and that this is good timing for him to join our secondary.

And another 2025 UK offer.

Nasir Newkirk, WR, Greensboro, NC

Reportedly holds offers from UK, GA, ND, 2 B10 schools, and 3 ACC schools.

Reactions: JASUN74
And another 2025 UK offer.

Nasir Newkirk, WR, Greensboro, NC

Reportedly holds offers from UK, GA, ND, 2 B10 schools, and 3 ACC schools.
So the offer to Greensboro Dudley High School's Nasir Newkirk probably explains why UK coaches were once again at my local school today (Reidsville NC High School) to see Kendre Harrison for a second time. Greensboro is only 20-25 minutes from us. Two for the price of one. Like Reidsville High, Dudley is a football powerhouse in NC.

Kendre is the nation's #1 2026 TE who possibly could reclassify to 2025....though right now that does not seem to be the plan. I saw an interview recently with Kendre and he has visited numerous schools, but I don't think we are currently on his list to visit. He is also planning to play basketball in college.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
So the offer to Greensboro Dudley High School's Nasir Newkirk probably explains why UK coaches were once again at my local school today (Reidsville NC High School) to see Kendre Harrison for a second time. Greensboro is only 20-25 minutes from us. Two for the price of one. Like Reidsville High, Dudley is a football powerhouse in NC.

Kendre is the nation's #1 2026 TE who possibly could reclassify to 2025....though right now that does not seem to be the plan. I saw an interview recently with Kendre and he has visited numerous schools, but I don't think we are currently on his list to visit. He is also planning to play basketball in college.

Thanks for this informative comment. Interesting.

No question. But even just looking at the recruiting services “scoring” of classes the gap from the middle 8 teams is next to nothing, even though one will get the 5 slot and another the 13 slot.

UK keeps defeating opponents like FL, MS St, and UL whose recruiting classes are often rated better than, or equal to, ours. What is happening? Either our coaches develop players better than these other staffs, or else the online class rankings are not predictive of player performance. Or both. Either way you look at it, Stoops' staff is outperforming these other staffs. And there has been some evidence you can throw MO, SCar, and even PA St into that group most years as well. If the online class rankings were actually predictive of performance, we shouldn't be beating those other teams.

With CMP in Lexington, I’m betting there is a possibility of players playing both!!!

Not necessarily with this young man but down the road.

Reactions: UNIVKY
With CMP in Lexington, I’m betting there is a possibility of players playing both!!!

Not necessarily with this young man but down the road.

That's an interesting subject. Cal never went to this length to help Stoops. IIRC, there was never a significant UK football player on any of Cal's teams although there were plenty of opportunities for Cal to offer opportunities to significant hs football prospects who liked UK and wanted chances to play both sports. But that's Cal. Completely unwilling to show any flexibility, especially to the other major sport and its coach. I have heard nearly everyone in UK's athletics department is thrilled he left, especially the SID. Pope has a rep as a team player, sort of the opposite of Cal. If Pope can help out, I would not be surprised to see him allow a football player to participate now and then.

That's an interesting subject. Cal never went to this length to help Stoops. IIRC, there was never a significant UK football player on any of Cal's teams although there were plenty of opportunities for Cal to offer opportunities to significant hs football prospects who liked UK and wanted chances to play both sports. But that's Cal. Completely unwilling to show any flexibility, especially to the other major sport and its coach. I have heard nearly everyone in UK's athletics department is thrilled he left, especially the SID. Pope has a rep as a team player, sort of the opposite of Cal. If Pope can help out, I would not be surprised to see him allow a football player to participate now and then.

With the demand of AAU and 7 on 7 teams it's quite an accomplishment to be good enough draw attention in both sports at the SEC level.

UK keeps defeating opponents like FL, MS St, and UL whose recruiting classes are often rated better than, or equal to, ours. What is happening? Either our coaches develop players better than these other staffs, or else the online class rankings are not predictive of player performance. Or both. Either way you look at it, Stoops' staff is outperforming these other staffs. And there has been some evidence you can throw MO, SCar, and even PA St into that group most years as well. If the online class rankings were actually predictive of performance, we shouldn't be beating those other teams.
We lose against most SEC teams that have higher rated rosters. Florida has been the outlier of late.

Reactions: gobigblue812
I don’t have a handy link but I’m seeing that Martel Carters has verballed to UK. More or less expected, but good to have confirmed. Just have to hold onto his commitment til December.

UK's current 2025 class-

Martels Carter, DB, Paducah, KY
Marquise Davis, RB, Cleveland, OH
Tucker Kattus, OL, Cincinnati, OH
Stone Saunders, QB, Harrisburg, PA
Quintin Simmons, slotR, Cincinnati, OH
Brennen Ward, QB, Columbus, OH

As widely anticipated here for many weeks, Martels Carter has now committed to UK. Carter grew up in Rome, GA, but played hs ball in Chattanooga before his family relocated to Paducah. At one time, he was believed to favor GA and Auburn. But after he relocated to Paducah, Coach Stoops and Coach Marrow prioritized him. He is generally considered the top 2025 prospect in KY. In terms of skills and athleticism, Carter could play slotR or RB in the SEC. But as a S prospect, he has reportedly received at least 13 SEC offers plus MI, Clemson, and SoCal. Carter is a premium prospect with a high motor and elite acceleration. Also an excellent tackler. Very big get for us, and the first defensive commitment in our 2025 class. Another great job by Coach Marrow.

Last edited:
I have offered my thoughts on this subject many times. They haven't changed. I don't expect to convince you of anything and won't try.
If you didn't already know, on the other (paid) board, he is a legendary troll, who used to even have a handle of "TrollCat". He is generally negative- about 99%. There is a very good chance he's a Louisville fan.

Jayden Clark, OL, Clayton, OH

Clark will OV UK on June 14. He is being recruited by Coach Marrow and Coach Wolford. Reportedly holds 2 SEC, 2 B10, 2 ACC, and 1 B12 offer. He is a hs teammate of LB prospect Cedric Works who is scheduled to OV UK the following weekend.

If you didn't already know, on the other (paid) board, he is a legendary troll, who used to even have a handle of "TrollCat". He is generally negative- about 99%. There is a very good chance he's a Louisville fan.
I do know that he is always negative. That's why I said I am not trying to convince him of anything. But he addressed me directly, so I am just reiterating a point of view I have posted here many times.

I do know that he is always negative. That's why I said I am not trying to convince him of anything. But he addressed me directly, so I am just reiterating a point of view I have posted here many times.
He's very clever, and his most common tactic is this- if critiquing a recruit that he doesn't like, he will ask, "is he SEC caliber other than UK or Vanderbilt" conveniently forgetting that UK is now consistently mid-level SEC while Vanderbilt is now No. 14 in the SEC and soon to be No. 16. But TrollCat insists that UK and Vanderbilt are two peas in a pod, which for years, they actually were, but not now. He is probably just bitter about recent Louisville games.

He's very clever, and his most common tactic is this- if critiquing a recruit that he doesn't like, he will ask, "is he SEC caliber other than UK or Vanderbilt" conveniently forgetting that UK is now consistently mid-level SEC while Vanderbilt is now No. 14 in the SEC and soon to be No. 16. But TrollCat insists that UK and Vanderbilt are two peas in a pod, which for years, they actually were, but not now. He is probably just bitter about recent Louisville games.
I never take this poster seriously, based on his discredited posting behavior. You shouldn't either, and I gather you don't.

Another visitor.

Jermiel Atkins, OL, Dayton, OH

Atkins has a huge frame, physically similar to Malachi Wood. Atkins' offer sheet is not very impressive at this point. He is ranked #43 among all 2025 prospects in OH. We could consider him a project with a high ceiling and low floor. He is being recruited by Coach Marrow and will OV UK on June 21. I would like to see UK sign him and find out what Coach Wolford could make out of him. Size can't be taught.

Reactions: Davae9
With Carter we are now 22nd in star ranking but 13 in the SEC. Even with Carter and Davis high 4's and Simmons a 4, with TX and OK it will take a major jump in recruiting just to move up a little in this conference. We finished 27th last year so we are on pace with a very long way to go with this class to have a chance to have another really good class. Last years class defensive class about as strong as we could hope for. So it is good to see the offensive pop we have started off with in this class. Putting two classes together like last year would IMO at least move our talent level needle a little even with the low ranking in the SEC. We really need a break through with several top OL and a couple of interior DL in this class. Too much coaching up having to be done with the positions on the OL especially. Where we need to close the gap at least a little in this conference.

With Carter we are now 22nd in star ranking but 13 in the SEC. Even with Carter and Davis high 4's and Simmons a 4, with TX and OK it will take a major jump in recruiting just to move up a little in this conference. We finished 27th last year so we are on pace with a very long way to go with this class to have a chance to have another really good class. Last years class defensive class about as strong as we could hope for. So it is good to see the offensive pop we have started off with in this class. Putting two classes together like last year would IMO at least move our talent level needle a little even with the low ranking in the SEC. We really need a break through with several top OL and a couple of interior DL in this class. Too much coaching up having to be done with the positions on the OL especially. Where we need to close the gap at least a little in this conference.

We are 7 months from the December signing date. Class rankings in May are utterly meaningless. Last summer, fans were complaining about UK's class and I repeatedly pointed out that summer class rankings meant nothing. That turned out to be literally true as Stoops got commitments from Brian Robinson, Jason Patterson, Cam Dooley, the Smith twins, and a group of other strong prospects after October 1. So spring class rankings are even more meaningless. In fact, I still don't believe any class rankings mean much, because no one can predict injuries, transfers, overachieving, or underachieving.

As far as player ratings, the same caveats apply. IDK how many low 3 stars need to become good NFL players, how many 4 stars need to underachieve, and how many Kiyaunta Goodwins of the recruiting world have to flop before people see this, but I gather (judging by the debate to date) that a lot of our fans are already there.

I believe in late bloomers, and I really want Coach Marrow and Coach White to snag commitments from Javeon Campbell and Nicholas Smith.

You are spot on about needing quality additions on our OL. That has been one of the heavily discussed needs for our class, especially OTs. As far as the DL is concerned, we may be in pretty good shape for the future at DE because that's where Brian Robinson and Javeon Campbell (if Coach Marrow gets him) are likely to land. In the interior, we already have some developing talent but we need more of it for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: maroon79
Following the Carter announcement, who will become UK's next 2025 commitment? It will be a player who OVs UK next month. Which one? It could really be almost any of the visitors. A few of the June visitors are unlikely to commit, but most of them are candidates to be next. Right now, 24 UK OVs are scheduled for June although 4 of those are already committed to UK. Based on recent history, I am inclined to think Stoops will receive a couple of new commitments next month and a couple more in July.

Reactions: maroon79
We are 7 months from the December signing date. Class rankings in May are utterly meaningless. Last summer, fans were complaining about UK's class and I repeatedly pointed out that summer class rankings meant nothing. That turned out to be literally true as Stoops got commitments from Brian Robinson, Jason Patterson, Cam Dooley, the Smith twins, and a group of other strong prospects after October 1. So spring class rankings are even more meaningless. In fact, I still don't believe any class rankings mean much, because no one can predict injuries, transfers, overachieving, or underachieving.

As far as player ratings, the same caveats apply. IDK how many low 3 stars need to become good NFL players, how many 4 stars need to underachieve, and how many Kiyaunta Goodwins of the recruiting world have to flop before people see this, but I gather (judging by the debate to date) that a lot of our fans are already there.

I believe in late bloomers, and I really want Coach Marrow and Coach White to snag commitments from Javeon Campbell and Nicholas Smith.

You are spot on about needing quality additions on our OL. That has been one of the heavily discussed needs for our class, especially OTs. As far as the DL is concerned, we may be in pretty good shape for the future at DE because that's where Brian Robinson and Javeon Campbell (if Coach Marrow gets him) are likely to land. In the interior, we already have some developing talent but we need more of it for sure.
I feel pretty good with what our last class added with the depth at the DE and edge positions in terms of quality and quantity. I really don't understand why our OL recruiting is so far behind all the other positions. We have been blessed with quality and quantity at NT, DT and DE positions the last few years. This season I think we maintain that two deep quality. But I think the NT and DT positions are where we need a couple of really good gets to maintain the depth that we have had in not just numbers but also the talent level we are used to having.

I feel pretty good with what our last class added with the depth at the DE and edge positions in terms of quality and quantity. I really don't understand why our OL recruiting is so far behind all the other positions. We have been blessed with quality and quantity at NT, DT and DE positions the last few years. This season I think we maintain that two deep quality. But I think the NT and DT positions are where we need a couple of really good gets to maintain the depth that we have had in not just numbers but also the talent level we are used to having.
Just a thought but could taking two top OG prospects and converting them to NT have hurt some in our OL recruiting?

Following the Carter announcement, who will become UK's next 2025 commitment? It will be a player who OVs UK next month. Which one? It could really be almost any of the visitors. A few of the June visitors are unlikely to commit, but most of them are candidates to be next. Right now, 24 UK OVs are scheduled for June although 4 of those are already committed to UK. Based on recent history, I am inclined to think Stoops will receive a couple of new commitments next month and a couple more in July.
I think it will be Campbell IMO. Maybe not next but very soon in July.

Reactions: Davae9
True and that time demand increases dramatically when you get to college.

Not sure about that, at least for now there is a 20 hour limit in college when classes start, there is no limits on time for the AAU,and 7 on 7 deal, or rules about being academically eligible.

Agree we could use a couple more interior defensive linemen in the 2025 class. Regarding OL recruiting, let's give Coach Wolford a chance. I expect OL recruiting to pick up this year and I think Wolford's rehire reflects Stoops' recognition that OL recruiting needed to be re-energized. Four OT types are scheduled to OV here next month and I am guessing we will get a commitment from at least one of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT