ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

Rembrandt/Bereacat,
Does the Cowan commitment have ramifications on the Smith twins' recruitment? Or B. Robinson?
Thanks in advance.
Depends on what you mean by ramifications. Cowan will not scare off Robinson or the twins. If Robinson and-or the twins want to come to UK, they can. That hasn't changed. And since Cowan is Gadson's brother, and since Stoops is making recruiting inroads in the Savannah area, the motivation for UK to take Cowan is strong.

But I suspect you are really asking whether taking Cowan means UK's coaches are losing optimism for getting Robinson and the twins. First, keep in mind that Cowan, while an edge player in hs, could potentially play any LB position in Brad White's 3-3-5. So the positional overlap is questionable. Cowan is a big, twitchy athlete, so he is an attractive add. Robinson himself doesn't know yet where he is going to college, but he just took another UV to Lexington. I still don't think the twins are on the same page, but they have been committed to MI for 3 months. So I don't believe anything has changed with those guys. I have said a number of times that I expect their recruitments to stretch into the fall.

I haven't heard anything on him since the CU visit. He was all UK until Deion showed interest and he took the visit. The only reason he would consider ATM is the NIL deal. Unless the cut Jimbo loose and hire Prime.

But reality of today is you can follow your coach.

The reality of today is that you don't know where Mikell will sign, and neither do the rest of us. The guy has at least eleven SEC offers plus FL St, MI, and CO. He didn't commit on his trip to CO, so he is sticking with his plan. He has said that he will not change his commitment timeframe for any school. He will not make an impulsive decision. This is a smart player. When he announces, then we will know. But nothing will surprise me there.

Can he feel the experience? The attitudes? The effort?
Good thing he went their instead.

I suppose I am taking the bait here. But, you know, we have 17 commitments including Groves, Gilbert, Selm, Mizell, and Boley. Brian Robinson and the twins just UVed again. Devin Smith just OVed. Apparently prospects out there are interested in our football program. So cheer up. You are alive, the weather is good, we are undefeated, and the chance for a constructive football season is still out there. If we win the next three games, all the reactionary fans will swing back into a support posture. I trust our coaches.

Reactions: maroon79
The reality of today is that you don't know where Mikell will sign, and neither do the rest of us. The guy has at least eleven SEC offers plus FL St, MI, and CO. He didn't commit on his trip to CO, so he is sticking with his plan. He has said that he will not change his commitment timeframe for any school. He will not make an impulsive decision. This is a smart player. When he announces, then we will know. But nothing will surprise me there.

That's true with every recruit isnt it? until Colorado got involved he was all about UK, little interest in AU or UT, but Prime got his attention, they throwing the ball all over the field, had a great atmosphere and win on his visit. He has a chance to be a good player where ever he ends up. UK is still a big player with him, but things change quickly in recruiting. He for certain wants to play offense, so UGA is out,

That's true with every recruit isnt it? until Colorado got involved he was all about UK, little interest in AU or UT, but Prime got his attention, they throwing the ball all over the field, had a great atmosphere and win on his visit. He has a chance to be a good player where ever he ends up. UK is still a big player with him, but things change quickly in recruiting. He for certain wants to play offense, so UGA is out,
I don't know how much of that is actually factual, but I sure won't argue with the statement that things change quickly in recruiting. We see it constantly. I still believe Mikell himself doesn't know where he is going to college. Otherwise he would not be taking all these campus visits in September and October. We can speculate which visits are serious and which ones aren't, but we dont know. In any case, Mikell will eventually announce and then we will know. Not before. Recruiting is one of the least predictable of all human behaviors.

Sanders won't be in Colorado long regardless. Players need to think about that, and their development more than anything.

Probably right. Neon Deion is hot and will get other offers.

But OTOH, put yourself in his place. CO is not exactly a traditional football power, and the conference thing is unstable out west. But Boulder is one of the most beautiful, modern cities in the country, so that is a built-in recruiting feature. Shedeur is a junior, so he is scheduled to return next year. Sure, he could transfer again. But he might not want to. The main thing is this. Where does Neon Deion really want to coach? Let's stipulate that he would take the FL St job if offered. But that does not look like a possibility in the near term. Where else would he prefer to Boulder? Most of the big jobs are locked up. GA, LSU, AU, ND, and OH St are locked in. Saban will retire soon, but AL probably won't hire him because he doesn't have Crimson Tide roots and doesn't have enough HC experience to jump into that vortex. Every time AL has tried to get clever with a HC hire, it has backfired. If Harbaugh leaves, maybe MI? If he likes lake effect blizzards. The question will be what Deion really wants for his trophy job, and how long before a trophy job will actually be offered. Looking at it that way, he might decide to hang out in Boulder for a while.

Last edited:
I don't know how much of that is actually factual, but I sure won't argue with the statement that things change quickly in recruiting. We see it constantly. I still believe Mikell himself doesn't know where he is going to college. Otherwise he would not be taking all these campus visits in September and October. We can speculate which visits are serious and which ones aren't, but we dont know. In any case, Mikell will eventually announce and then we will know. Not before. Recruiting is one of the least predictable of all human behaviors.

Elite kids take visits to schools all the time. KJ Bolden who is committed to FSU, plays an hour from Athens, is visiting UGA this weekend. I consider Mikell an elite prospect. Right now Deion is the darling of college football, he is being connected to multiple programs with coaches who have seats warming up. If he jumps ship to a football school he will kill it on the recruiting front, I guess gas prices will determine if ATM can afford a change. Bama will raise taxes to get a coach. I think Saban is on a downward spiral. We are basically the same age, and it's tough to admit, I don't function at the same level I did 5 years ago.

Reactions: satcheluk
Elite kids take visits to schools all the time. KJ Bolden who is committed to FSU, plays an hour from Athens, is visiting UGA this weekend. I consider Mikell an elite prospect. Right now Deion is the darling of college football, he is being connected to multiple programs with coaches who have seats warming up. If he jumps ship to a football school he will kill it on the recruiting front, I guess gas prices will determine if ATM can afford a change. Bama will raise taxes to get a coach. I think Saban is on a downward spiral. We are basically the same age, and it's tough to admit, I don't function at the same level I did 5 years ago.
I am not disputing any of that. Just saying that Kamron Mikell has a timeframe for making his announcement, and he is sticking to it. He could be taking various visits for a variety of reasons, but I don't believe he is taking 4 more OVs in the next 7 weeks just for kicks. He isn't sure yet. That's my interpretation. And I think he will go to school somewhere in the southeast. Not necessarily in the SEC proper, but probably so. Probably not out west. That's my conclusion, but recruiting is among the least predictable of all human behaviors.

Probably right. Neon Deion is hot and will get other offers.

But OTOH, put yourself in his place. CO is not exactly a traditional football power, and the conference thing is unstable out west. But Boulder is one of the most beautiful, modern cities in the country, so that is a built-in recruiting feature. Shedeur is a junior, so he is scheduled to return next year. Sure, he could transfer again. But he might not want to. The main thing is this. Where does Neon Deion really want to coach? Let's stipulate that he would take the FL St job if offered. But that does not look like a possibility in the near term. Where else would he prefer to Boulder? Most of the big jobs are locked up. GA, LSU, AU, ND, and OH St are locked in. Saban will retire soon, but AL probably won't hire him because he doesn't have Crimson Tide roots and doesn't have enough HC experience to jump into that vortex. Every time AL has tried to get clever with a HC hire, it has backfired. If Harbaugh leaves, maybe MI? If he likes lake effect blizzards. The question will be what Deion really wants for his trophy job, and how long before a trophy job will actually be offered. Looking at it that way, he might decide to hang out in Boulder for a while.
Think Sanders might give the NFL a whirl.

Reactions: hmt5000 and UKfirst
Two websites including this one are reporting that Yannick Smith was offered a scholarship by our coaches earlier this week. Smith is a 6'3" 190# WR from Summerville, SC. He looks the part.

Smith committed to E Carolina on July 28 and seemed to shut down his recruitment. But our coaches would not be pursuing him if there wasn't an interest.

UK is Smith's only Power 5 offer. However, Smith is a two-sport star at Summerville hs and an excellent basketball player. Coach Stoops likes multisport athletes.

With Jackson Smith and Antwan Smith on board, Devin Smith scheduled to announce on Sept. 22, and the Smith twins getting CB picks for a flip to UK, it is looking like UK may lead the SEC in football players named Smith.

Reactions: bluecoon1
Two websites including this one are reporting that Yannick Smith was offered a scholarship by our coaches earlier this week. Smith is a 6'3" 190# WR from Summerville, SC. He looks the part.

Smith committed to E Carolina on July 28 and seemed to shut down his recruitment. But our coaches would not be pursuing him if there wasn't an interest.

UK is Smith's only Power 5 offer. However, Smith is a two-sport star at Summerville hs and an excellent basketball player. Coach Stoops likes multisport athletes.

With Antwan Smith on board, Devin Smith scheduled to announce on Sept. 22, and the Smith twins getting CB picks for a flip to UK, it is looking like UK may lead the SEC in football players named Smith.
Looks like LSU may have Devin coming in this weekend for an official. Also read that they pulled the scholarship on Xavier Atkins and went all in on him. I guess we will see if he shows up at LSU this weekend. I think most of the smoke was due to him announcing his commitment date immediately after visiting UK which is also his only visit.

There is smoke that the Smith twins and Robinson are all close to a decision. Could be soon

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Looks like LSU may have Devin coming in this weekend for an official. Also read that they pulled the scholarship on Xavier Atkins and went all in on him. I guess we will see if he shows up at LSU this weekend. I think most of the smoke was due to him announcing his commitment date immediately after visiting UK which is also his only visit.

There is smoke that the Smith twins and Robinson are all close to a decision. Could be soon
When Devin Smith announced that he is down to LSU and UK, you and I probably expected that a visit to Baton Rouge would materialize this month. Wherever Smith signs, they will be getting a very good interior defender. He would be a great fit for us.

The Smith twins have been committed to MI for 3 months. There is apparently a good chance they might flip, but they are not under any time pressure. I don't think Robinson is either. At this point, I don't have a sense for whether time is on UK's side with any of them. If we somehow get all three, that's a huge recruiting development for this program. Devin would be icing on the big blue cake.

But we still need tackles, and I suppose that may be a portal issue unless Coach Marrow can convince a tackle or two to flip to us.

Would be thrilled if "doing it" were a twin decommit, but probably is about winning & playing well in their next game?

His suspension is game days. He still coaches/recruits Sunday-Friday.

Wish the entire UK staff (plus support personnel) go down to Corbin Fri night. Show of force.

Just read that Wiltfong did a video and said he expects the twins to flip and BRob to commit to UK. Many think thus will happen b4 the end of the month.
Great news! For someone with skin in the game like Wiltfong to put this on tape, he must be convinced. Most prognosticators probably post guesses from what they read. Wiltfong digs deeper. May have heard something from someone he trusts in the scouting business.

Great news! For someone with skin in the game like Wiltfong to put this on tape, he must be convinced. Most prognosticators probably post guesses from what they read. Wiltfong digs deeper. May have heard something from someone he trusts in the scouting business.
There was another reported the 1st of the week that getting the twins and BRob together sealed the deal. They supposedly are all for playing together. The report at the 1st of week said it could happen this month

Reactions: THE_OAK and JHB4UK
There was another reported the 1st of the week that getting the twins and BRob together sealed the deal. They supposedly are all for playing together. The report at the 1st of week said it could happen this month
They were all together at the Ball State game. Other recruits were there too I think I heard?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT