ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

Thanks. I saw that. I think Saunders is a UK lean who will be a Wildcat sooner or later, now apparently sooner. A narrative is circulating out there that another commitment is coming this weekend. Do you believe this?

BTW, Elijah Groves out of Cross Plains, TN, is scheduled to announce on July 1. He has been linked to UK for some time, but he hasn't OVed. I think this means he will commit to Purdue or NC St, where he has OVed. But some other people point out that he has visited UK unofficially. I think our coaches are focused on other LB prospects now.
I haven't seen anything about another commitment this weekend but hope it is right

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Thanks. I saw that. I think Saunders is a UK lean who will be a Wildcat sooner or later, now apparently sooner. A narrative is circulating out there that another commitment is coming this weekend. Do you believe this?

BTW, Elijah Groves out of Cross Plains, TN, is scheduled to announce on July 1. He has been linked to UK for some time, but he hasn't OVed. I think this means he will commit to Purdue or NC St, where he has OVed. But some other people point out that he has visited UK unofficially. I think our coaches are focused on other LB prospects now.
Antonio white is committing at 1 pm. Looks like it will not be UK though

What do yall know about this kid?

'25 recruit, reclassified to '24. Was at UK last weekend. At Penn State today with another WR (Jerrae Hawkins).
He is really good. UK may lead but had the 1st visit. He is going to visit a lot of top schools and it will be a battle up until Dec to see where he goes

I think JR put in a FC to uk for white last week. I know he said his sources thought he was committing to UK. He said two days sgo that he got intel he was committing to Rutgers. Things change all the time. Remember years and years ago when we were 18. Lol

I think JR put in a FC to uk for white last week. I know he said his sources thought he was committing to UK. He said two days sgo that he got intel he was committing to Rutgers. Things change all the time. Remember years and years ago when we were 18. Lol
Oh I agree but sites need hits and subscriptions. Not saying that's the case here but that's a big deal.

Odd, was getting CBs for UK a few days ago.
It is not very difficult to imagine that Stoops may prefer other DBs. White is an interesting prospect but he isn't unique. Less than a week ago, White seemed set to commit to UK. Now Rutgers? Something suddenly changed. I am not necessarily saying Stoops pulled his offer, but I think that's a possibility. We have a commitment from Jiquavious Marshall. With Terhyon Nichols, Cameron Keys, Jalewis Solomon, Cam Dooley, Earl Kulp, Casey Etienne, and Quaysheed Scott still uncommitted, is it possible that Stoops made the difficult decision to pass on White? IDK, but it does not seem beyond the realm of possibility. Etienne has visited UK unofficially with his family. UK just offered Kulp less than a month ago and that recruitment might just be getting started.

It is not very difficult to imagine that Stoops may prefer other DBs. White is an interesting prospect but he isn't unique. Less than a week ago, White seemed set to commit to UK. Now Rutgers? Something suddenly changed. I am not necessarily saying Stoops pulled his offer, but I think that's a possibility. We have a commitment from Jiquavious Marshall. With Terhyon Nichols, Cameron Keys, Jalewis Solomon, Cam Dooley, Earl Kulp, Casey Etienne, and Quaysheed Scott still uncommitted, is it possible that Stoops made the difficult decision to pass on White? IDK, but it does not seem beyond the realm of possibility. Etienne has visited UK unofficially with his family. UK just offered Kulp less than a month ago and that recruitment might just be getting started.
I was somewhat skeptical of White, the guy only weighs about 160. Of course, he's still in HS, has ample time to grow into his body. But I think you're right....something changed with that whole situation.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
I was somewhat skeptical of White, the guy only weighs about 160. Of course, he's still in HS, has ample time to grow into his body. But I think you're right....something changed with that whole situation.
His weight is an issue. It isn't a unique issue. Stoops has signed prospects before who needed to be developed physically, and will again. But it is part of the evaluation and decision.

Also, I think UK's coaches discovered White while evaluating Jordan Floyd at Parkview hs in Lilburn. Floyd, a true OT with multiple SEC offers, was their initial focus. Floyd was interested in UK and White made plans to visit UK with him in June. But then Floyd cancelled his UK visit and committed to GA Tech. That had to change the recruiting chemistry somewhat for White and for our coaches. I'm not saying that is the sole reason White will end up at Rutgers. But it had to have an effect.

Reactions: GH_UKBBN92
As expected Witten committed to OSU
OSU is going to get 85 to 90% of the Ohio kids they go after hard, They only pull in 6 to 8 Ohio kids max anymore as they've actually turned into a strong national recruiter which leaves the door open for the high quality Ohio recruits they don't offer

OSU is going to get 85 to 90% of the Ohio kids they go after hard, They only pull in 6 to 8 Ohio kids max anymore as they've actually turned into a strong national recruiter which leaves the door open for the high quality Ohio recruits they don't offer
Although not necessarily this particular year, OH is arguably the most important state in UK's core recruiting territory year in and out. Coach Marrow and the Stoops family grew up in OH. There are lots of Power 5 level prospects in the state of OH every year. OH St gets their pick. Often ND gets their pick too. MI, MI St, PA St, WI recruit heavily in OH. And still, there are always a handful of players with upside for UK's class. Now that Coach Marrow has opened up important connections in the greater Cincinnati area, that number is increasing. And as you say, more prospects from the state of OH are available as long as Ryan Day focuses his recruiting nationwide.

I was never confident UK could sign Damarion Witten, but I think Marrow gets a lot of credit for getting so close. To me, Brian Robinson is much more important although he will also be difficult to sign. UK commit Willie Rodriguez is from the greater Cincinnati area. UK still has more than a puncher's chance with Terhyon Nichols. We will see what else develops.

Reactions: ACT ONE
Some of these Ohio guys may decide to hit the portal after they ride the pine for a year. I think the pressure is going to be increasing on Day if he doesn't beat Michigan this year. Yes I know they made the playoffs. Either way they don't like losing to Michigan and Day has lost 2 in a row.

Dominick Nichols committed to UM
I know I was replying to Rembrandt concerning Witten. My mistake I should've quoted his post! Either way, these top schools can't get and play everybody. There will be high rated kids that don't get the minutes for whatever reason or feel unhappy there. Same applies to Michigan etc.

I know I was replying to Rembrandt concerning Witten. My mistake I should've quoted his post! Either way, these top schools can't get and play everybody. There will be high rated kids that don't get the minutes for whatever reason or feel unhappy there. Same applies to Michigan etc.
He is from Maryland i think. Had nothing to do with your all comments. I hadnt seen it posted. He was one of UKs top Edge targets. He had appeared Mich bound for awhile

He is from Maryland i think. Had nothing to do with your all comments. I hadnt seen it posted. He was one of UKs top Edge targets. He had appeared Mich bound for awhile
No worries. Hopefully with more success on the field the recruiting will continue to improve. It's nice to have the portal to fill in where recruiting trail goes cold.

Dominick Nichols committed to UM
Will this help us with Robinson?

Considering UM has already one Smith twin committed and the other more than likely doing the same, I would hope Robinson eliminates the Wolverines and becomes a Cat.

Considering UM has already one Smith twin committed and the other more than likely doing the same, I would hope Robinson eliminates the Wolverines and becomes a Cat.
Just from what has been reported and the guys UM has taken they have backed off Robinson. They look to be about to add another edge in Elias Rudolph. I am not sure Jacob will go to UM. Just me but it seems if that is where he wanted to go he would have committed. He visited UK and I didn't see anything from it. He visited Nebraska and only posted #GBR. I know he wants to play with his brother so we will see

Just from what has been reported and the guys UM has taken they have backed off Robinson. They look to be about to add another edge in Elias Rudolph. I am not sure Jacob will go to UM. Just me but it seems if that is where he wanted to go he would have committed. He visited UK and I didn't see anything from it. He visited Nebraska and only posted #GBR. I know he wants to play with his brother so we will see

Brian Robinson can be looked at as an edge LB or as a DE. In a 4-3 defensive system, he could easily become an excellent DE. He is still a little bit light to be a 3-4 DE, which is more of a gap role. But he has a frame that can easily carry more good weight. Robinson is the kind of prospect that most Power 5 programs make room for.

And even though Dominic Nichols is listed online as an "edge", that doesn't necessarily mean every coaching staff has evaluated him as an edge LB. His future development could be looked at several ways.

You wouldn't turn down Brian Robinson because you have a verbal commitment from Dominic Nichols. So what I am saying is that the answer to the question is no. Nichols' commitment does not help UK.

The real question is whether UK actually needs help with Robinson. I'm not going to say that Robinson is a lean to UK, because IDK. But UK's coaches have done a good job recruiting him. Robinson grew up in the same city as Marrow and the Stoops brothers did and, for all we know, he might pick UK regardless of other factors. At this point, I am cautiously optimistic. And UK will save a scholarship for Robinson because this might not get resolved quickly.

Reactions: GH_UKBBN92
I agree Nichols doesn't mean anything. Their insiders have said they want to take 4 edge type guys. I am not sure where BRob will play. JRow had said he wants to play Jack. Some reports are he is already 255-260. If true he is already close to SDE size. Either way hope he chooses UK so we can watch it play out

Who is there left at OT? Arkansas now leads for McRoy. Hopefully he visists this week but gonna be tough to land him. Daniels visited this week but he is a very long shot. Hopefully we have Ford back and Hall for next year. If the OL takes a big step forward this year as expected, maybe they can turn the OT recruiting around
With the Portal, there is more opportunity to pick a OT the second go round for some of these players.

Reactions: catben
With the Portal, there is more opportunity to pick a OT the second go round for some of these players.
Courtland Ford, Josh Jones, Nik Hall, and Malachi Wood are scheduled to return in 2024. I think UK was opportunistic and lucky to get Ford out of the portal. Notwithstanding the prevailing wisdom, I will continue to swim upstream by expecting Austin Ramsey and Aba Selm to end up as OGs. By next December, I will be surprised if Stoops doesn't have at least one true OT in his 2024 class, although that player is not on our current radar. But unless Hall and Jones develop well, there will need to be another inbound OT transfer or two prior to the 2024 season.

McRoy has never been a UK lean and never been considered likely to end up here. I was surprised UK got a visit.
He was never a lean but I had assumed they would get an official visit after he took 5 unofficials to UK. Idk if it is NIL related but it has seemed for awhile he was oregon bound

Courtland Ford, Josh Jones, Nik Hall, and Malachi Wood are scheduled to return in 2024. I think UK was opportunistic and lucky to get Ford out of the portal. Notwithstanding the prevailing wisdom, I will continue to swim upstream by expecting Austin Ramsey and Aba Selm to end up as OGs. By next December, I will be surprised if Stoops doesn't have at least one true OT in his 2024 class, although that player is not on our current radar. But unless Hall and Jones develop well, there will need to be another inbound OT transfer or two prior to the 2024 season.
I think we are very lucky to get Ford out of the portal as our current T just aren’t there. At the same time I think people need to temper their expectations of Ford this year. He is better than Flax but still has a lot of work to be a consistent SEC RT.

I think we are very lucky to get Ford out of the portal as our current T just aren’t there. At the same time I think people need to temper their expectations of Ford this year. He is better than Flax but still has a lot of work to be a consistent SEC RT.
Idk how good he will be but JRow said in early workouts he looked like he could be the best OL they have. Hopefully Hall gets healthy and can spell them and takeover next year

Idk how good he will be but JRow said in early workouts he looked like he could be the best OL they have. Hopefully Hall gets healthy and can spell them and takeover next year
Have you heard what was Hall's injury that caused him to miss Spring?

Yes, all of that is accurate. He is not a finished product. He has the necessary tackle build and he can move for a big man. We will see how well he learns our system and how consistently he carries out his assignments. LT is the most important position but RT is also very important.

Yes, all of that is accurate. He is not a finished product. He has the necessary tackle build and he can move for a big man. We will see how well he learns our system and how consistently he carries out his assignments. LT is the most important position but RT is also very important.
But didn't he start or play a lot at LT for USC his Freshman year? I realize he has had some injuries that have set him back and he was passed up by stud's because of them, but it's still impressive.

But didn't he start or play a lot at LT for USC his Freshman year? I realize he has had some injuries that have set him back and he was passed up by stud's because of them, but it's still impressive.
Ford is a better run blocker than pass blocker, and will need some reps to work his way into Coach Coen's offense. He is a player with promise, but he is far from being a finished product.

Jonathan Daniels looks like a strong FL St lean now. He recently visited UK. Cameron Keys has now received multiple CB picks for MO.

Josh Edwards entered a CB pick today for UK for RB prospect Jason Patterson who recently visited Lexington.

JacQawn McRoy will announce his college decision on Saturday. There is a growing consensus in the industry that McRoy will pick OR. UK has been named as one of his four finalists, but I feel fairly confident that UK will not finish in his top two.

Cameron Keys is now receiving CB picks for MO and appears to be leaning there. Jonathon Daniels is receiving CB picks for FL St and is considered a strong FL St lean. Zuri Madison is an AR lean.

However, UK has now received a CB pick for RB Jason Patterson.

Based on recent public comments by Jalewis Solomon, I feel confident he views himself as a WR at the next level.

Recall I said here a month ago that our two big June recruiting weekends were likely to produce a handful of commitments, but not a tsunami, and that Coach Stoops will take a large number of open scholarships into the fall by design. That is playing out now. Many of the prospects who recently visited Lexington are/were being widely recruited. Some have since committed elsewhere and others will need some time to make their decisions. The signing date is still more than 5 months away. However, I tentatively expect at least one more 2024 UK commitment within the next two weeks.

With that, here is my revised list of 2024 prospects still known to be under active recruitment by our coaching staff. But keep in mind that more new UK offers will be given out during the summer and fall to prospects who are not on our radar now. In particular, I think our coaches know they need to broaden their recruiting board at OT, DL, MLB, and DB. For now, though, this is how UK's revised recruiting board looks to me.

QB- Cutter Boley (UK commit)

RB- Tovani Mikell (UK commit), Jason Patterson (UK lean)

TE- Willie Rodriguez (UK commit)

WR- Cameron Coleman, David Washington, Jalewis Solomon, Kamron Mikell, Hardley Gilmore (2025 prospect reclassifying forward)

OL- Aba Selm (UK commit), Hayes Johnson (UK commit), Jadon Lafontant (UK commit)

DL- Kendall Jackson, Alex Foster

LB- Antwan Smith (UK commit), Brian Robinson, Caleb Redd, Elijah Groves, Makai Byerson, Lorenzo Cowan, Amontrae Bradford

DB- Jiquavious Marshall (UK commit), Terhyon Nichols, Cam Dooley, Quasheed Scott, Casey Etienne

P/K- Jacob Kauwe (UK commit)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT