ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2023 Recruiting

It isn't NIL. If the administration isn't willing to get on board then Kentucky football gets left behind. Notice I didn't say basketball gets left behind. Obviously Mitch Almighty if ok with paying them and building new facilities for Roundball.

Actually Mitch isn't ok with building new basketball facilities. He is also limiting UK basketball recruiting with his NIL antics...if you paid attention and posted on both boards you would know that. The difference is UK has its brand and history and a great recruiter in Calipari (if only he was a great coach) to make up for some of Mitch's stupidity.

This is an arms race and for football and basketball we need to be paying top dollar.

Ehhhh...maybe but then again how do you explain
- UK racked up a great class last year and we had a ton of kids entrenched on DL, OL, RB, TE, LB, etc spots?
2022 class highest rated and highest offered UK recruits were at positions we were depleted.....Left Tackle(a 5*), Defensive End (2 4*), & WR (2 4*)

The UL.thing isn't complicated. Clarkson QB's dad has business relationship with Adidas. He is working with Adidas and UL to surround his son with talent. Just their good luck, right place, right time.

I think sometimes you guys are overthinking things when it comes to football recruiting. Louisville has immediate playing time to offer some high profile players; with Stoops having been established now at Kentucky over a decade he has stockpiled talent in his offensive front and defensive front seven. Immediate slots aren't there to the extent they are at Louisville. We could conceivably have freshman starters at QB, RB, TE, WR and a couple O line slots alone in 2023. Same at corner defensively and MLB.
Ok, but at some point better players should be coming to your program because you have a history of developing players regardless that the competition at your place is tougher. You want tough competition to play. That's how top programs stay on top, right? Or are there some other tangible benefits I'm not seeing?

Reactions: Lost In FL
Upcoming commitment dates!
July 2nd Karmello English AU or UK, analysts/publishers UA
July 3rd Christian Conyer UT or UK, analysts/publishers split but UT has current momentum coming off visit
July 6th Avery Stuart, FSU, AU, or UK, analysts/publishers FSU
July 16th Anthony Brown, UK or UC, analysts/publishers UK
Soon/haven't seen date Kendrick Gilbert, UK, Iowa, or LSU. Analysts/publishers UK

A month of commitments hopefully UK gets a surprise or two, this is a lot of our top targets

Reactions: YaketySax
Louisville has immediate playing time to offer some high profile players
Louisville has had many slots available, previously under Satterfield, in his first three recruiting classes. Those three classes ended up averaging in the 50’s.

CardHack, I think you post on TOS. Most U of L posters, there, acknowledge that NIL has been a huge benefit to Louisville this year.

Go back to December of 2021 and read any (of many) threads calling for his job: the lack of high-level recruiting is the most frequent specific complaint.

Suddenly Gomer has five commits from California?

Yeah, “playing time.”

Louisville has had many slots available, previously under Satterfield, in his first three recruiting classes. Those three classes ended up averaging in the 50’s.

CardHack, I think you post on TOS. Most U of L posters, there, acknowledge that NIL has been a huge benefit to Louisville this year.

Go back to December of 2021 and read any (of many) threads calling for his job: the lack of high-level recruiting is the most frequent specific complaint.

Suddenly Gomer has five commits from California?

Yeah, “playing time.”
My post was more a defense of Stoops than a promotion of Louisville. You guys are deceiving yourselves if you think your slow start in recruiting relative to the past few years is Barnhart being slow out of the gate with NIL. That is anecdotal to some of the roster realities of both programs.

Just saw a report that 2 of Male HS best players are transferring

Spencer to New Albany In
Collins to Tn
I think the school Collins went to is a good football school. Some have said Spencer has some grade concerns, I wonder if that has to do with his switch? Hope it’s not related

Oakdale HS...think that is fairly close to Knoxville
Oakdale HS is a teeny-tiny school not noted for football/athletics.

As is mentioned below Oakland HS is the more likely destination. Located in or near Murfreesboro. Plays in the part of mid-TN that's growing by leaps and bounds.

Thanks for the info.

Oakdale HS is a teeny-tiny school not noted for football/athletics.

As is mentioned below Oakland HS is the more likely destination. Located in or near Murfreesboro. Plays in the part of mid-TN that's growing by leaps and bounds.

Thanks for the info.
It's the top school on TN FB

Reactions: mrschwump

Nope it is in Murfreesboro, Nashville area
I live in Murfreesboro we do not have an Oakdale HS in Murfreesboro or Rutherford county. I'm not aware of one in Middle Tennessee. We do have an Oakland high School. My wife graduated from there. It's not terribly small it has 2,300 students and if I'm not mistaken they won the 6A state championship this past season. We have four high schools in the city of Murfreesboro all with at least 2,000 students. There is however in Oakdale high School an Morgan county Tennessee it is a small school it is in the Knoxville metro area near Oak Ridge. I just learned that using the Google machine 😀

Reactions: Girthang
I live in Murfreesboro we do not have an Oakdale HS in Murfreesboro or Rutherford county. I'm not aware of one in Middle Tennessee. We do have an Oakland high School. My wife graduated from there. It's not terribly small it has 2,300 students and if I'm not mistaken they won the 6A state championship this past season. We have four high schools in the city of Murfreesboro all with at least 2,000 students. There is however in Oakdale high School an Morgan county Tennessee it is a small school it is in the Knoxville metro area near Oak Ridge. I just learned that using the Google machine 😀
See my post above.

I honestly didn't read that the guy wrote oakdale. All I read was that he said it's in the Knoxville area. I knew it was Oakland high School as I put the number one team in Tennessee LOL

Handed the Wade twins their only loss last season in the state title game.

Reactions: BlueInTheBoro
Should we start to worry about this class, some key targets possibly trending to other schools, I’ll always have faith in Marrow but feels like we’re falling behind this cycle.
Good thing for us is we are set up to have another good year and could build a great class through late commits and flips.

Should we start to worry about this class, some key targets possibly trending to other schools, I’ll always have faith in Marrow but feels like we’re falling behind this cycle.
Good thing for us is we are set up to have another good year and could build a great class through late commits and flips.
Seems like our best classes have been the ones with a strong foundation the staff built with kids through many years plus the late commits/flips that break our way late often due to things going on at other schools. We can still get that second part but that first component probably won’t be as good as years past. Not bad or anything but that’s what happens with staff turnover. Its a matter of time before you replace your outgoing great recruiters with coaches that are only average or good recruiters. Not every assistant hire can be a future head coach.

Reactions: trentrobinson9
Seems like our best classes have been the ones with a strong foundation the staff built with kids through many years plus the late commits/flips that break our way late often due to things going on at other schools. We can still get that second part but that first component probably won’t be as good as years past. Not bad or anything but that’s what happens with staff turnover. Its a matter of time before you replace your outgoing great recruiters with coaches that are only average or good recruiters. Not every assistant hire can be a future head coach.
Generally speaking, that sounds reasonable. But Vince Marrow has said 2015 turned out to be his best class before 2022. Marrow's 2015 class suffered 9 decommits, some of which were devastating at the time they happened. So that class had no real foundation. Yet Marrow rebuilt it and got an impact class. Recruiting is fluid and depends on many factors. Every year is different.

I do not think I am alone in feeling that losses of Jon Sumrall, Eric Wolford, and Liam Cohen altered the timetable for our 2023 class. Those coaches laid a foundation that was undone when they left. It has been documented that Wolford even tried to turn his Kentucky recruits to Bama.

The brain trust has been more aggressive this year, going after more consequential players in Georgia and Florida. Mike Stoops is a veteran recruiter with contacts in south and central Florida. He will reel in some good players, but it will take some time. This is the year Anwar Stewart and Chris Collins have to step it up in Georgia and Scott Woodward in Tennessee and Alabama. Up to now, those three have not been major recruiters. Now they are after some big fish. Zach Yenser too. Those coaches have not been around Kentucky long. This is a passing of the torch. Their recruiting efforts will probably be felt in the fall, and the degree of success for the class will be more apparent then.

Just saw report that Chris Collins made a scholarship offer this weekend to 2023 athlete Che Ojarikre of Alpharetta, Georgia. Looks like a fast riser. Duke and Georgia Tech also became involved in June. I wonder if this goes anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT