ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2020 recruiting

We are 6 months away from the first signing date. In recruiting, that's a lifetime. It is way too early for concern. Our coaches are doing a great job.

OL- UK will take 4-5 this year. Young and Jones are a great start, and I am encouraged by the list of uncommitted OLinemen with UK offers.

DT- Let's face it, some fans are discouraged because Goods decommitted from UK and committed to UF. But Justin Rogers is one of the best prospects in the country. So there is cause for optimism. The list of uncommitted DLinemen with UK offers is the best I can ever remember. Among them-

Darrion Henry
Tre'Vonn Rybka
Corbet Mims
Octavious Oxendine
Bryce Austin
Marquis Black
Billie Roberts
Leviticus Madison
Riyad Wilmot
Choute Kervins
Abraham Alabi

scratch Henry - oh well he was mostly a pipe dream anyway.

scratch Henry - oh well he was mostly a pipe dream anyway.
Right. Henry was always a long shot. Every year, though, Vince Marrow seems to gain a little more recruiting traction among the top OH prospects.

Stoops is still recruiting plenty of interesting DL prospects. I believe we finished #2 behind TX A&M for Dallas Walker. I expect UK will probably get one out of Oxendine and Rybka. We are still recruiting-

Rybka
Oxendine
Mims
Black
Roberts
Madison
Wilmot
Alabi
Kervins

There will be more names on the radar in the fall, and we still don't know if Stoops will pursue jucos.

Last edited:
Now comes word that Samuel Anaele has decommitted from Miami. UK apparently figures in as does a few others. Potentially huge.
Will be hard to beat out Florida. They're taking transfers at DE from Louisville so you know they've got PT to offer.

Will be hard to beat out Florida. They're taking transfers at DE from Louisville so you know they've got PT to offer.
Yeah, maybe. Auburn, UVA, Oregon getting mentions too. Think UK is selling him on being he next Josh Allen?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Now comes word that Samuel Anaele has decommitted from Miami. UK apparently figures in as does a few others. Potentially huge.
I didn't list Anaele earlier, because my list of names was premised on the adjective "uncommitted". Anaele was not "uncommitted" until this weekend, and that assumes this new report is factual. If Anaele has decommitted from Miami, this probably becomes UK vs. UF. But there has been a lot of buzz that Anaele will end up in UK's class. That probably wouldn't surprise anyone who has been following Anaele.

And if that happens, it's a big development for UK's defense.

Interestingly, Anaele is being recruited by Steve Clinkscale, who has just been killing it as a recruiter this year.

So far, UK's class is heavily slanted toward the offense. But our highest-rated commitment is a DLineman, and it's only a matter of time until more key defensive commitments are announced.

Last edited:
These hs kids in FL know that UK beat UF at their place, and that Mark Stoops was the DC on some ranked FSU teams (including a NC) when Jimbo was there.

Anaele first committed to Miami on Jan. 15, 2018, IOW a year and a half ago. That was back when Mark Richt was Miami’s coach. A lot of these players commit too early. His decommitment means he is looking for a better match for himself now. UK is farther from home, but Anaele reportedly had a great visit. Anaele has the kind of physical build that could slot in as a Jack LB or a DE in UK’s 3-4, depending on how our coaches think his body will mature and fill out. UK is loaded at the OLB positions, but there is a really great opportunity for a young DE because Taylor and Carter will graduate and Paschal is the only other guy currently at the DE position. JJ Weaver could eventually become another, but he was recruited as a Jack. Anywhere Anaele goes, there will be competition. Auburn isn’t that much closer to home than Lexington. Oregon is a lot farther. I think we have a good shot.

Anaele is now a UK Wildcat. I believe his commitment will stick, and several other south FL prospects will follow him to UK.

Time will tell whether Anaele is a Jack LB or a DE in UK’s 3-4. Depends on how his body develops. Josh Paschal began as a Jack LB and then blew up into a DE. Anaele might follow that same pathway. JJ Weaver might, too.

I'm not going to put just a ton of confidence where a player is supposedly slotted to play.
'Backers turn into D.E., one of Brooks teams had an o-line were tight ends, Tamme was a wide receiver, Cobb a QB. Our highest ranked recruit was ranked as an O lineman and is now slotted on defense. We've had linebackers turn into safeties. We lost a kid last year we wanted for defense because Cincinatti okayed him.playing Tight end...and he played quarterback in high school.
Morgan Newton should have played tight end, but didn't.
There's a LOT of time before these guys get ready to suit up for real. Bulk up, lose weight, learn a new position....
With this talent, exciting days ahead.

Reactions: jauk11
I'm not going to put just a ton of confidence where a player is supposedly slotted to play.
'Backers turn into D.E., one of Brooks teams had an o-line were tight ends, Tamme was a wide receiver, Cobb a QB. Our highest ranked recruit was ranked as an O lineman and is now slotted on defense. We've had linebackers turn into safeties. We lost a kid last year we wanted for defense because Cincinatti okayed him.playing Tight end...and he played quarterback in high school.
Morgan Newton should have played tight end, but didn't.
There's a LOT of time before these guys get ready to suit up for real. Bulk up, lose weight, learn a new position....
With this talent, exciting days ahead.
You agree Oxendine is a DT?

Reactions: The-Hack
Stoops has 13 verbal commitments-

Beau Allen, QB
Samuel Anaele, DL
Kalil Branham, WR
Izayah Cummings, WR
Torrance Davis, RB
D'Eryk Jackson, LB
Joshua Jones, OL
Jutahn McClain, RB
Andru Phillips, DB
Justin Rogers, DL
Earnest Sanders, WR
Jordan Watkins WR
John Young, OL

This time of year, it's always interesting to guess how the remainder of UK's recruiting class will get filled in. It looks like the only remaining offensive commitments will be linemen, possibly to include Deondre Buford. The bulk of attention to filling out the class needs to be on the defense.

This naturally leads to speculation about who will be the next commitment. I am thinking Buford or Jamal Potts. Buford has long been thought to be a lean to UK. If that is true, Buford needs to get on board now, before Stoops prioritizes other OLinemen. So if Buford wants to be a Wildcat, I think it happens relatively soon. If it doesn't happen soon, then I suspect he goes somewhere else.

Potts is interesting for at least two reasons. For one thing, he is a close physical comp to Derrick Baity, and Stoops likes the tall corners with long arms for his zone defense. For another, Potts is being recruited by Eddie Gran. Potts lives in Delray Beach, and Gran has had a lot of success in that part of FL. So far, UK only has one commitment (Anaele) from FL, but you know that will change soon.

What would UK fans think if the class gets finished off something like this? (I'm not saying it will or won't.)

Deondre Buford, OL
Josh Remetich, OL
Coleon Smith, OL
Marquis Black, DL
Octavious Oxendine, DL
Reginald Perry, DL
Devon Betty, LB
Eric Shaw, LB
Jamal Potts, DB
Carrington Valentine, DB
Vito Tisdale, DB

Beau Allen, QB
Samuel Anaele, DL
Kalil Branham, WR
Izayah Cummings, WR
Torrance Davis, RB
D'Eryk Jackson, LB
Joshua Jones, OL
Jutahn McClain, RB
Andru Phillips, DB
Justin Rogers, DL
Earnest Sanders, WR
Jordan Watkins WR
John Young, OL

This time of year, it's always interesting to guess how the remainder of UK's recruiting class will get filled in. It looks like the only remaining offensive commitments will be linemen, possibly to include Deondre Buford. The bulk of attention to filling out the class needs to be on the defense.

This naturally leads to speculation about who will be the next commitment. I am thinking Buford or Jamal Potts. Buford has long been thought to be a lean to UK. If that is true, Buford needs to get on board now, before Stoops prioritizes other OLinemen. So if Buford wants to be a Wildcat, I think it happens relatively soon. If it doesn't happen soon, then I suspect he goes somewhere else.

Potts is interesting for at least two reasons. For one thing, he is a close physical comp to Derrick Baity, and Stoops likes the tall corners with long arms for his zone defense. For another, Potts is being recruited by Eddie Gran. Potts lives in Delray Beach, and Gran has had a lot of success in that part of FL. So far, UK only has one commitment (Anaele) from FL, but you know that will change soon.

What would UK fans think if the class gets finished off something like this? (I'm not saying it will or won't.)

Deondre Buford, OL
Josh Remetich, OL
Coleon Smith, OL
Marquis Black, DL
Octavious Oxendine, DL
Reginald Perry, DL
Devon Betty, LB
Eric Shaw, LB
Jamal Potts, DB
Carrington Valentine, DB
Vito Tisdale, DB
That would be a pretty disappointing finish considering the targets we’ve been linked with.

The thought is, Buford is already silently on board and will go public in October (special date for him). I like Potts and he was supposed to officially visit in June. It got pushed back however as I believe he is down the board a bit at DB. Betty will not be in this class outside of a major change. Think the staff decided to pass. Still believe UK leads for Tre'Vonn Rybka at this point. And I do believe Michael Drennen ends up in the class as well.

Beau Allen, QB
Samuel Anaele, DL
Kalil Branham, WR
Izayah Cummings, WR
Torrance Davis, RB
D'Eryk Jackson, LB
Joshua Jones, OL
Jutahn McClain, RB
Andru Phillips, DB
Justin Rogers, DL
Earnest Sanders, WR
Jordan Watkins WR
John Young, OL

Deondre Buford, OL
Josh Remetich, OL
Coleon Smith, OL
Marquis Black, DL
Octavious Oxendine, DL
Reginald Perry, DL
Devon Betty, LB
Eric Shaw, LB
Jamal Potts, DB
Carrington Valentine, DB
Vito Tisdale, DB
I think right now Buford , Valentine and Tisdale seem pretty solid to UK.
Black and Remetch are , as far as 247 and Rivals go, definitely in play.
Oxendine, I'd be scared to guess. Rybka just depends on who we read...Rutgers seems to be a big player for him.

And there are always, always, always guys we don't hear much about...including the JUCO ranks.

Gonna be interesting.

I think right now Buford , Valentine and Tisdale seem pretty solid to UK.
Black and Remetch are , as far as 247 and Rivals go, definitely in play.
Oxendine, I'd be scared to guess. Rybka just depends on who we read...Rutgers seems to be a big player for him.

And there are always, always, always guys we don't hear much about...including the JUCO ranks.

Gonna be interesting.
DT from Ohio named Adabi or Alabi who has UK on his list as well as Rutgers. I can't believe UK would lose not one but TWO DL to Rutgers.

Not sure where you are getting the Rybka & Rutgers news. Maybe you have him confused with another prospect. He isn't going there and they haven't even offered or been recruiting him.

DT from Ohio named Adabi or Alabi who has UK on his list as well as Rutgers. I can't believe UK would lose not one but TWO DL to Rutgers.
I don't believe we are losing football players to Rutgers. I could be wrong, but I think Alabi wanted to verbal to UK during the spring but was not a take at the time and still isn't. Most of the recruiting emphasis to this point has been focused on the offense, but DL is where our two highest-ranked commits will play. That means Stoops can afford to be patient and selective. If Stoops was sure he wanted Alabi, I believe Alabi would be in our class.

Reactions: The Independent
The thought is, Buford is already silently on board and will go public in October (special date for him). I like Potts and he was supposed to officially visit in June. It got pushed back however as I believe he is down the board a bit at DB. Betty will not be in this class outside of a major change. Think the staff decided to pass. Still believe UK leads for Tre'Vonn Rybka at this point. And I do believe Michael Drennen ends up in the class as well.
Is Valentine a take? It seemed he was about to pop.

Likely correct on me confusing Rybka and Alabi. No excuses, just playing who is going where on the two sites.
At any rate, Cats are in the hunt for some of those still not committed, and apparently from Anaele's announcement for plenty that are already recalled elsewhere.

I think at times these kids take a flyer on a school, then a coach leaves, or they realize that they are going to get buried so deep they never get a shot.
Then they go elsewhere.

My guess as to how the staff would like to finish the class as of now:
14. WR - Michael Drennen
15. OT - Deondre Buford
16. NG - Octavious Oxendine
17. DT - Tre’vonn Rybka
18. S - Vito Tisdale
19. S - Makari Paige
20. JUCO CB - Marco Domio
21. CB - Carrington Valentine
22. OLB - ???? (Maybe Jaheim Thomas)
23. OG - ???? (Maybe Josh Remetich)

If we take a full 25 I would guess an ILB and OG for the last 2 spots

Per KSR, UK is pursuing Morven Joseph. Joseph is a 3 star DL that decommitted from Florida recently. Has a ton of offers from SEC and others.

Yes, but he is very likely FSU bound.

14. WR - Michael Drennen
15. OT - Deondre Buford
17. DT - Tre’vonn Rybka
18. S - Vito Tisdale
19. S - Makari Paige

I think you are on the right track there.

I'll also say that a couple of targets who committed elsewhere (Jennings and Height), I don't think it's over with either of those guys. Not saying UK will ultimately get them, but I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Is Valentine a take? It seemed he was about to pop.
Valentine's offer sheet includes Purdue, Michigan State, West Virginia, and Pittsburgh. He has at least twelve Power 5 offers, and he was recently invited to visit UK. He is from Archbishop Moeller HS, and it's a no-brainer that UK's staff wants a pipeline there. So Valentine is probably a take. Generally, if you ask a player to visit your campus in June, you are trying to sign him. I would guess Valentine needs more time to sort through all of his options.

14. WR - Michael Drennen
15. OT - Deondre Buford
17. DT - Tre’vonn Rybka
18. S - Vito Tisdale
19. S - Makari Paige

I imagine you are close to being right in theory about the top targets this year. That might be why some other good football players interested in UK might not be takes at this point. But a handful of the names you mentioned will be very difficult to sign. All of us want to see UK sign a top 10 class, and we would get close with your list. But at the end of the day, our staff has to sign the best players they can, even if some were not their first choices. That's why I suggested some other names.

Reactions: EndzoneCat
Betty will not be in this class outside of a major change. Think the staff decided to pass.
You could be right. I don't know. But Betty is from St. Thomas Aquinas, the school that produced Jake Pope. Betty's offer sheet includes OH St, MI, OK, and TX. I doubt all those coaches are wrong about him.

Still believe UK leads for Tre'Vonn Rybka at this point.

UK will probably get either Rybka or Oxendine. It looks like both are mainly looking at UK and UT. And it looks like UT only has one scholarship left for a DT.

Reactions: EndzoneCat
^ I don't think Betty could commit to any of those schools that he reports offers from. At least not right now. He didn't help himself with UK after he backed out of camping last month, so they have moved on. I agree that it is a UK/UT battle for Oxendine and perhaps ultimately Rybka too. I wouldn't be surprised if the odds are better for Rybka right now.

People who read my comments on recruiting know that I don't say which players I personally want. If UK signed every player I want, Stoops would have the #1 class in the country every year. So it's pointless to have that discussion.

The most interesting thing about recruiting by Stoops has been the changing geographic pattern. Stoops has been UK's most aggressive football recruiter in decades. In 2013, Stoops signed 9 players from FL. In 2014, Stoops signed 11 players from OH. Thereafter, UK's coaches expanded into new territories like MD, NJ, PA, MI, OK, LA, and AL. Now we have a punter from Australia. In 2019, Stoops signed 6 players fron GA.

At this point, UK has 13 public verbals-

Beau Allen, QB
Samuel Anaele, DL
Kalil Branham, WR
Izayah Cummings, WR
Torrance Davis, RB
D'Eryk Jackson, LB
Joshua Jones, OL
Jutahn McClain, RB
Andru Phillips, DB
Justin Rogers, DL
Earnest Sanders, WR
Jordan Watkins, WR
John Young, OL

It looks like ATH Michael Drennen will publicly announce for UK this summer, and OLineman Deondre Buford will announce for UK in October. That would increase the class to 15 commits.

There has been discussion about how many players Stoops will sign. We currently have 78 players on scholarship. Eight are seniors. Grant McKinniss redshirted in 2017, but I have seen suggestions that he will go ahead and graduate with his original class after this season.

If McKinniss goes, that means Stoops has three more scholarships to give if no other underclassmen leave. If Drennen and Buford join the class, that would leave one other scholarship.

This is where we get into conjecture. Over the last year, underclassmen left UK's roster in double digit numbers. If that happens again this time, Stoops could sign a full class. Nobody knows how many underclassmen will go this time, but our coaches know which players are doing well and which aren't doing as well.

Typical yearly undergraduate roster attrition has been in the range of 5-10 players. So Stoops should be able to sign 21-25 players in this class. That is the math. Given the number of UK players currently nursing recurring injuries or rehabbing from surgery, I will guess that the eventual number will be in the higher half of that range.

With Drennen and Buford, UK's class would have 11 offensive and 4 defensive commits even if Justin Rogers is a DLineman.

This clearly means most of our remaining commits will be defensive players.

Here are some uncommitted players being connected now with UK by often reliable sources-

Kevin Bickham, DB
Marquis Black, DL
Deondre Buford, OL
Marco Domio, DB
Michael Drennen, ATH
Cortez Eatmon, DB
Douglas Emilien, DB
Zuriah Fisher, LB
Caziah Holmes, ATH
Rickey Hyatt, DB
DJ Lundy, LB/RB
Octavious Oxendine, DL
Reginald Perry, DL
Jamal Potts, DB
Josh Remetich, OL
Tre'Vonn Rybka, DL
Coleon Smith, OL
Vito Tisdale, DB
Carrington Valentine, DB
Riyad Wilmot, DL
Majon Wright, DB

Some of the commitments yet to come will come from this list. But there are new names on the recruiting radar every fall.

It looks like Drennen or Hyatt could be our next public commitment.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamidousvertical
I would also add Dee Beckwith to the above list. He took an unofficial visit last month and has stated that UK and Ole Miss are in the most contact right now. Big time athlete from Alabama, who could play multiple positions, particularly on offense. At this point, he would definitely fill the "best available" scholarship. Ole Miss has 22 commitments, so they are almost full. Tennessee is the other main contender right now.

I would also add Dee Beckwith to the above list. He took an unofficial visit last month and has stated that UK and Ole Miss are in the most contact right now. Big time athlete from Alabama, who could play multiple positions, particularly on offense. At this point, he would definitely fill the "best available" scholarship. Ole Miss has 22 commitments, so they are almost full. Tennessee is the other main contender right now.
Thanks. I knew about Beckwith, but I did not know he visited us last month. If I had known that, I would have included him on my list.

What are your thoughts about Marquis Black? I am thinking he might be insurance in case we miss on Rybka and Oxendine. But Black looks like a nice player in his own right who could play DT or DE in the 3-4, and Steve Clinkscale spent some time with him last month. So it looks to me like that offer is getting close to committable.

Thanks. I knew about Beckwith, but I did not know he visited us last month. If I had known that, I would have included him on my list.

What are your thoughts about Marquis Black? I am thinking he might be insurance in case we miss on Rybka and Oxendine. But Black looks like a nice player in his own right who could play DT or DE in the 3-4, and Steve Clinkscale spent some time with him last month. So it looks to me like that offer is getting close to committable.

Really high on Black as a player. To me, his film is much more impressive than Oxendine's. However, I agree that he is a backup plan right now. He took an OV to Arizona last month and has one scheduled to Nebraska in September. Right now, I would guess UK is behind both schools since they have made him a higher priority. Again though, really think he is a talented kid.

Really high on Black as a player. To me, his film is much more impressive than Oxendine's. However, I agree that he is a backup plan right now. He took an OV to Arizona last month and has one scheduled to Nebraska in September. Right now, I would guess UK is behind both schools since they have made him a higher priority. Again though, really think he is a talented kid.
Interesting. I liked what I saw on film of Black's agility. Black and Oxendine are different in build. I see Oxendine as a nose player, who may have been turned off when Justin Rogers acknowledged he is coming to UK to play on our DL. Black looks like he could play DE in our system. At this point, my best guess would be that Stoops signs two out of Black, Oxendine, Rybka, and Perry. But we might still see UK get involved in the fall with another DLineman from OH, MI, or FL. Or even a juco.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT